Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I'll Hate You Forever (I Think) by kris250

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
~



After a fulfilling dinner, the sixth year Gryffindors found themselves all alone around the fire. Frank and Alice were cuddling in a big chair, as were Alex and Sirius. Remus was talking to Peter, explaining the uses of a Confundus Charm. James and Lily were sitting together on the couch, although at a considerable distance from each other.


Both were debating on their decision to tell their friends about the “personal protection” Dumbledore had given Lily. They had argued about it, but in the end James won. Lily halfway agreed with him, but argued because it was what she always did. After all, her friends would find it a bit odd if she started to be around Potter more than them.

Lily nodded at James, who stood up and cleared his throat. "Er... there's something Lily and I have to tell you guys."

Lily looked down at the floor, wondering if they made the right decision. She wasn’t sure how everyone would take it. Alex and Sirius stopped snogging, and Alice and Frank looked at James.

"You are probably going to notice something strange happening this year, so Lily and I decided to tell you what it is ahead of time. In case you didn't notice, Lily has been the object of several attacks by the Slytherins. Dumbledore decided to appoint someone to watch over her all the time, so to speak. Me."

"Wait a minute. You're going to have to be with Lily, like, every day?" Sirius sputtered.

Lily answered for James, while staring at the fire. "Until Dumbledore deems it unnecessary, yes, that is exactly what it looks like."

Sirius blinked, and tried to comprehend what this could mean for the Marauders. Their pranks, their secrets, and their full moon adventures could be in danger. However, a slow, devious smile crept up Alex's face. 'This is definitely good news. They'll like each other in no time.'

~

The next day, Lily unhappily found herself sitting in the otherwise empty Quidditch stands, watching the Gryffindor team tryouts. Since James was there, she had to be. However, that didn’t mean she had to like Quidditch. She actually preferred Muggle sports, where everyone stayed on the ground and wasn’t hit with flying red balls.

Lily watched as James snatched the Quaffle out of midair, and shot towards the goal. The Keeper hopeful, Frank, dove for the flying red ball, but just missed. Lily sighed. Frank had caught every shot so far, except for James's of course. She was shaken from her thoughts as someone sat down beside her.

"Hey Lily." Amos Diggory said.

Lily turned and smiled. Amos was a nice guy, a year older than she was, but in Ravenclaw. "Hey Amos. What are you doing here?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I was just taking a walk, and I saw you all by yourself. I thought you could use some company."

Lily laughed. "Your concern is appreciated." It had been a long time since a boy had come up to talk to her with no apparent reason. Except Potter, that is. In her fourth year, she was dating a Hufflepuff. However, their romance was short lived when Lily found him in a passionate lip lock with a different girl. When she was through with him, he had to be admitted to the Hospital Wing to be treated for a severe bladder problem and many additional facial growths. Since then, the boys had in general been very afraid of her. Except the Marauders, who found the whole ordeal incredibly funny.

"So why are you here?" asked Amos.

Lily shrugged. "No reason." She didn't know why, but she didn't want Amos to know that she had to be with James all the time.

"What did you think about that Potions assignment?" Amos inquired.

The two of them talked for two more hours, laughing and having a good time. Before they realized it, darkness had fallen over Hogwarts. Lily could see the Quidditch Captain giving the final announcements to the team. She turned to Amos.

He checked his watch. "I should probably get going now," he said, almost regretfully.

Lily smiled. "Thanks for talking to me. I haven't laughed that hard for a while."

"No problem Lily." Amos smiled. "It was fun."

Lily leaned back to rest against the stands. "Yeah, it was."
Amos turned to leave. As he reached the stairs, he paused and turned again. "Hey, Lily? Would you want to get together again?"

Lily smiled. "Of course."

"How about this weekend, in Hogsmeade?" Amos asked.

"I'd like that," Lily answered.

With one last smile, Amos left, and not a moment too soon. James flew his broom down next to Lily.

"How did it go?" Lily asked.

James grinned. "I made the team!" He frowned. "Actually, I was already on it, but now I'm a Chaser." He looked down at the field. The other players were already leaving. "You ready to go?"

Lily nodded, and they set off for the castle.

From under the bleachers, the spy sent to scout out the Gryffindor team smiled. 'So the Mudblood managed to get a date. That certainly is interesting news.'