Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I'll Hate You Forever (I Think) by kris250

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Lily sat next to Alex and Alice, eating breakfast while memorizing her schedule for the day. “Potions, Charms, Herbology, Transfiguration. Potions, Charms, Herbology, Transfiguration. Potions, Charms, Herbology, Transfiguration.” She muttered softly.

“Lily? Alice and I are heading back to the common room. I forgot my books. See you in Potions?” Alex said.

Her answer was a nod and “Herbology…”

“Er… right. See you then!” Alex backed away slowly, wondering how long it was going to be before Lily was shipped off to St. Mungos.

Lily hastily shoved sausage in her mouth, never taking her eyes off of her schedule. Until…

“So, Evans. Still here? I would have thought a smart girl like you would have turned in her wand by now.” Severus Snape stood over her shoulder, sneering at her.

“And why, pray tell, would I have done such a thing?” Lily responded, more curious than anything else. After four years, Snape’s insults had mostly lost their edge, and it was hard to take him seriously when it was so easy to call a picture of him in embarrassing clothing to mind, courtesy of the Marauders.

“Well, you are a Mudblood. I just thought you would have realized your unworthiness and left the school.”

“Actually Snape, I see no reason to do so. I think I am rather worthy of being a witch, especially since I know for a fact that I beat you in all of our exams last year. Perhaps YOU should leave.”

Snape scowled. “You’d better watch your tongue. Don’t ever speak to someone above your station like that. It’ll just get you into trouble. But trouble will find you anyways. There are some smart people who will soon ensure that no scum like you will ever be able to be called a witch again.”

Lily smirked. “You mean people like that nutter, Voldemort? He doesn’t scare me.”

“Have it your way. Just don’t say that I didn’t warn you. It’s just a matter of ti-”

“Snivellius. What are YOU doing here? Shouldn’t you be with the rest of your vile house?” James had appeared behind him, speaking in the unusually nasty voice he reserved for his favorite prank targets.

“Potter. Actually, I was just talking to the Mudblood. Though I’m not exactly sure why.”

James’ eyes narrowed, and he reached into his robes to take out his wand, when he felt someone grab his arm.

“Don’t.” Lily said. “He’s not worth you getting another detention.”

“That’s right Potter.” Snape sneered. “Listen to the Mudblood.”

“Snivellus, shut your mouth or I’ll do it for you!” James shouted.

“James! Stop!” Lily cried, struggling to keep her grip on his hand.

Snape looked from Lily to James and back again, then with a final sneer and a swish of his cloak, he strode over to the Slytherin table.

James had stopped moving, and his eyes were wide in shock.

“What now?” Lily sighed exasperatedly.

“You called me… James.” He managed to stutter out. His eyes traveled to his hand that Lily was grasping.

Lily saw where he was gazing and quickly snatched her hand back. “Don’t think much of it, Potter.” She said, then turned and headed to Potions.

James still stood where she had left him. “Yeah, you don’t think too much of it either, Evans,” came the delayed (and not very original) response. But Lily had already left.

*

“Well, class, welcome back to another year at Hogwarts. Apparently you have all passed, but some were not as fortunate.” Professor Slughorn said, his lips looking as though they were trying to hold back a gleeful smile as his eyes passed over the seat that was usually occupied by one of the Slytherins: Goyle. “Today we will be going over what I hope to accomplish this year, and I will expect a 9 inch summary on it by next Monday, one week from now. Can anyone tell me what we are going to be learning this year? Ah… yes. Miss Evans.”

“Well, I’m not sure, but I thought I saw the Sleeping Drought and a mild Truth Potion in the book.” Lily answered.

“Correct! 10 points to Gryffindor. Anyone else? No? Very well.” Professor Slughorn turned and started writing a list of potions on the board. “Copy this down please.”

The rest of the class passed by with a flurry of scratching quills until the bell rang.

*

James plopped down in one of the puffy chairs by the fireplace after dinner. “Well, no one can say that wasn’t an interesting first day back, can they Sirius?”

Sirius chuckled. “No, they can’t. Seeing Narcissa and Bellatrix going up to the staff table in the middle of dinner and loudly proclaim their love for Dumbledore isn’t exactly ordinary.” He wiped an imaginary tear from his eye. “Never thought my cousins had it in them.”

Peter chuckled. “Not bad, not bad at all.”

They all turned expectantly to Remus. “Well, I must say… we have outdone ourselves. That was ingenious,” he said.

“So, what should we do next? Have to keep the Marauder spirit alive.” James proclaimed. The four boys bent over a piece of parchment, ready to jolt down ideas for pranks.

Remus sighed. “This is going to be an interesting year.”