Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I'll Hate You Forever (I Think) by kris250

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
~



Lily flopped down onto her pillows and blankets. Same as the other girls in her dorm, she would be sleeping on the floor tonight for a night full of talking, gossiping, and painting nails.

“Do you remember Molly Prewett?” Liddy Smith asked. She never really was in the Gryffindor dorm, preferring instead to spend her time with her best friends in Ravenclaw- Lynn, Lara, and Sydney.

Alex nodded slowly, trying not to irritate Alice. She was brushing Alex’s long hair, which became slightly unkempt after her date with Sirius on the Astronomy Tower.

“Well, she finally married Arthur Weasley and just had a little boy. She named him Bill, after his brother, the third year. And that’s not all. She’s pregnant again!”

There was some laughter following the announcement. “But that’s the good news,” Liddy continued. “As I’m sure you all don’t want to know, Lucius Malfoy married Narcissa Black. My mom said it was a dreadfully boring event. No one did anything unusual. But she said an owl came in during the feast. It had a letter that was like a Howler, but it was a congratulation from that guy who had some stories about him in the newspapers, for killing a bunch of people. What was his name? Oh yeah, Voldemort. Lord Voldemort.”

Alice’s hand froze in mid-brush, as she and Alex shot worried glances at Lily. She paled a bit, and looked away. Not noticing anything odd, another girl, Marie, cut in.

“But he is kind of serious, isn’t he? I heard that the Ministry is getting worried about all the followers he’s gaining. They go around torturing Muggles and half bloods. Some people won’t even call him by his name. They call him He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named or You-Know-Who.”

Liddy nodded. “Everyone at home is talking about him. They don’t know if he’s just crazy, or another Grindlewald.” There was a collective shudder around the room.

“I’ve overheard some of the Slytherins say they want to join him. They believe in what he says he can do.”

“Is that why they’ve been so vicious lately?” Marie asked. She looked at Lily, “Maybe I’m just seeing things, but it seems as though the Slytheirns are really ganging up on you with all those insults and snide comments.”

Lily didn’t answer, but she thought, ‘You don’t know the half of it.’

Liddy smiles. “The Slytherins may be nasty, but Lily will always have someone around to save her. James Potter is quite a catch, Lily, and I forgot to congratulate you.”

Alex snorted, and then tried to cover it up with a badly timed cough. Lily just turned red. “I didn’t ‘catch’ anyone, especially James Potter. He’s just a friend, if that.”

Liddy nodded at Marie. “Ahh, the old ‘just-friends’ excuse. That’s what Molly used to say about Arthur, and look what happened.”

Lily shook her head. “Just give it up, guys. There is no way Potter and I will get together.”

“Really?” Marie asked. “Then tell us what you do think of him.”

Lily hesitated. “Well, I suppose he is cute, in a scruffled kind of way. He makes people laugh, which is a redeeming quality. Ohh, and I once saw him helping out this first grader, in the beginning of the year. He was so patient! It was unbelievable. But he always tried to humiliate the Slytherins, especially when they did something really nasty. Actually, now I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing. He also has this contagious laugh, and I noticed that he always has to squeeze something when he’s mad. Usually his wand, right before he hexes somebody. And his eyes! They look just like a piece of chocolate, especially when he smiles. And- wait a minute! Why are you smiling?”

Liddy choked on her laughter. “I’m actually pretty sure you like him, Lily.”

“What? That’s preposterous!” Lily exclaimed.

“Not really. Just think about it,” Marie responded. “But speaking of boys, Alice, what’s the deal between you and Frank? I never see you alone anymore!”

Alice blushed. “Well, I like spending time with Frank. Sometimes it’s as though I can’t get enough of him. He’s so kind and sweet. Once he took me on a broom ride around the castle to a picnic on the other side. He always does random, sensitive things like that. What about you, Alex? How’s Sirius been?”

Alex smiled. “Sirius has been great. He snogs like I could never imagine, and he always wants to just go off and do something. Trust me when I say there is never a dull moment when he is around.”

Marie giggled. “I can see that. But what I can’t see is Peter and Stephanie. What does he see in her? What does she see in him?”

Liddy held up a hand. “Whoa there! What’s this about Peter and Stephanie?”

“Didn’t you hear?” Alice asked incredulously. “Stephanie asked Peter to go to Hogsmeade tomorrow.”

“Wait!” Alex cried. “Peter and Stephanie! I thought she still liked… someone else!”

Liddy waved a hand. “Yeah, she likes Sirius. Likes. I heard her talking about him yesterday, and let me tell you, she still thinks that he’s secretly in love with her. But don’t worry, Alex. There’s no competition. Sirius is clearly in love with you.”

Alex blushed. “Are you sure? I mean, love is a big thing.”

Marie nodded. “You’re right, but I’ve never known Sirius to do things in small proportions. But the true question is, do you love him back?”

Alex looked perplexed. “You know, I think I might. It’s just so hard to say something like that. But I really think he is the one that will be there for the rest of my life, even if the spark between us dies.”

Liddy sighed and looked at the ceiling dreamily. “It must be so great to have such a strong feeling for someone, and confidence that the feeling will stay.”

The girls continued to talk through the night, but no one noticed that Lily said not another word since Marie told her to ‘just think about it.’ Because, in fact, she was just thinking about it.

~

Author’s Notes:

I really felt an urge to write, so this came out in like a half hour from the time I sat down at the computer. This may seem like just a simple, SHORT (yes, I know it is), fun chapter, but Lily is starting to realize something… though I’m sure you all know what. Also, everything Alex said is exactly what will happen. There’s a little puzzle for you.