Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Letter for My Love by Beth Brown

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N : just a little clarification to those who might get a tad bit confused. This story revolves around a single letter. The timeline is a week and each chapter is dedicated to each day, but always goes back to the present time. Hopefully this bit cleared up some things. And I hope that this is too your liking. Enjoy and don't forget to review I practically live off em.



A Letter For My Love


The greatest thing you’ll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return
-Moulin Rouge



September 29, 2005- Present Time: 3:34am
A key turns in a lock. A door opens and a tall, young man steps tiredly into his dark flat. Running a hand through his hair, he sighs as he tosses his things onto the kitchen table and drapes his coat over the couch. With a flick of his wand, a bottle flies straight into an open hand.


He switches the lamplight on and rifles through the pile of letters in his hands. Bills, postcards, junk mail; there’s nothing new, and the man takes a swig from the bottle.


The last letter in his hand reveals familiar writing. He smiles, thinking of her. Wondering what she could have possibly wrote about.


Opening the letter he scans the first sheet, at the words written in the all too familiar loopy handwriting. The warm smile lighting his features dissolves, and his face takes on a solemn mask.


He straightens and a deep intake of breath echoes in the dimly lit room. A hint of sorrow fills his eyes as they drift across the page a second time; the drink long forgotten is clasped tightly in his hand.


“Bloody hell.”


He sets the drink down and sighs, shutting his eyes for a brief moment. Then places his head in his hands. The clock ticks. The muffled sound of a siren fades into the night, and he looks up.


He sits there, staring at the letter completely unlike anything she had ever sent him before. Sitting there gazing at it, he doesn’t really see it at all. Instead, his sees only her.


Remembering the other page, he glances warily at it, surprised to find someone else’s all too familiar writing gracing the sheet of parchment. It’s all but blank, save for two lines scrawled right in the middle. His eyebrows rise in a mixture of confusion and amusement at what his friend has written.


Suddenly, he blinks as if waking from a dream, and there is a sudden resolve in his eyes. The rain begins to beat heavily upon the window, and he stands up stuffing his wand in his pocket. The clock chimes the time, and he looks at it, startled.


Thunder rumbles in the night sky, and in a blink he is gone; apparated to the place where he would meet her. The letter lies on the table, forgotten.


Not a day goes by that my heart doesn’t ache for you. To hear your voice, your laugh would be sweet music to my ears. My eyes yearn to see you standing before me. Your piercing eyes staring deeply into mine.


My body longs for your touch. The shadow of your warm embrace shuts my eyes, and I sigh. A hand on my shoulder, comforting. An arm around mine, playful. A strong hand on my back, protective.


Even if we have never experienced the feel of our bodies joined together, one look in your eyes makes me feel as if we had done that sacred and forbidden act time and time again. A light brush of your fingers across my skin makes me want my dreams to become reality. But it’s not to be. It is never to be. I must love you from afar, and I will savour each moment we have together as if it’s our last.


I have never dreamed the day would come. The day you told me you loved me. But it was too late. You belonged to another, one more worthy than myself and I would never share you. The day of the wedding approaches. Then you will be lost to me forever.


You must marry her. I will not be the reason for another woman’s unhappiness. You are happy with her. I see the way your eyes shine when you talk to her, but do you look at her the way you look at me? When you’re with her, do you feel as if you’re the only two people in the world? Does a smile brighten your features at the mere sight of her? A thought of her?


I can’t keep going on like this; comparing my relationship to hers. I hate to place this on your shoulders but I just simply cannot take it any more. You will have to choose, and I hope it’s the right one.


I’ll be waiting for your answer. I don’t mean to pressure you. I don’t want to. I just have to know. If you decline, then I’ll have to be on my way, for as much as I love you and want to be there for you, I wouldn’t be able to stand watching you with her. Wishing it was me.


Don’t feel sorry for me. I don’t want your pity. I have your friendship, but I want your love as well. I want your answer. I need it because I just can’t bare living like this any longer. Not knowing. Always wanting. It’s slowly killing me inside.


It’s funny how much control I have in my life, and yet a single word or action can shatter all of that.


Whomever you choose let it be known that I will always love you. My heart and my friendship will always be yours. If you choose her, then I wish you both a lifetime of happiness. And I ask you to never forget me. I won’t forget you.

Goodbye my love.



The second sheet of parchment held but only two lines written in the hand of a friend.


You can thank me later. Go to her.