Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Friends with the Enemy by LO1

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
For a moment, everyone in the room stared quietly. Dumbledore seemed to be the only one breathing. Molly Weasley walked into the room and even she stopped. She looked at Malfoy with everyone else, however she smiled and said, "Dumbledore, you're here."

Dumbledore bowed slightly and cleared his throat. "Thank you again Molly for being so gracious as to accept Mr. Malfoy into your house on such short notice."

Ron looked at his mother with disgust, but no one else noticed. Harry and Draco both looked at each other and Malfoy looked away, sneering.

Mr. Weasley seemed lost for words and asked if Dumbledore and Molly would fill him in on what was going on.

"Alright, Arthur," Molly assured him. "But let's go into the next room. Children, wait here please."

As Molly and Arthur went into the dining room, Dumbledore guided Malfoy into the room as well. As soon as the door shut, Ron pulled out an Earwig.

"I just planted one under the table in there this afternoon," he explained as he held the earpiece out for all to listen in. Hermione gave Harry an anxious look as they heard Dumbledore begin to speak.

"It was early this morning when Narcissa Malfoy was informed by owl post that the Malfoy manor was to be searched under magical warrant number 1345, for possible possession of dark and dangerous magic and artifacts," Dumbledore said smoothly, not pausing for a breath. "As soon as the ministry arrived, however, they found no one to be home, except Mr. Malfoy here."

Harry edged closer to hear better and he heard Ginny whisper, "Wow."

"And so," Dumbledore continued, speaking a bit quieter. "After inspection of the house, a many number of dark objects, poisons and things of that sort were located in a hidden chamber under the drawing room."

Arthur spoke up, "Yes, this I know about. But why bring the boy?"

"As I have said," Dumbledore explained. "His mother has vanished. Without a trace. Without a note to anyone. Gone."

Molly added, "And he's got no other family that can take him."

"That's right," Dumbledore said. "Also, it would be wise to note that the Crabbes and the Goyles have disappeared as well."

"Interesting..." They heard Arthur say.

"Yes, and I wondered if I could have a word, Arthur?" Dumbledore asked.

Ron held the Earwig closer to his ear. They could hear movement.

"Of course," they heard Molly say. "Draco, dear, let's go out here where everyone is waiting for us."

Ron hastily jammed the Earwig in his pocket and everyone jumped to a different corner of the room, pretending to be doing something and trying not to look guilty.

The door opened and Draco came in first, Mrs. Weasley right behind him. Draco had a bitter expression on and still he had not spoken a single word.

Molly looked over at Harry and Ron and said, "Boys."

Before she said another word, Ron's appearance turned sullen. It seemed that she expected this and so she continued, looking only at Harry. "Show Draco to your room. He will be staying with you two tonight. Oh, and dinner will be soon."

Draco walked robotically to his trunk that lay unnoticed by the door and Ron and Harry started up the staircase. Harry looked down at Hermione, Ginny and Luna, who returned looks of distress and curiosity. Draco however kept his eyes on the steps as he struggled with his trunk. Neither Harry nor Ron offered to help him, and the silence followed them up to the second floor.

Draco didn't sneer or make snide comments as Harry expected, but then again, he knew that the Weasley mansion was impressive, even to Draco. Many paintings of people, animals and castles graced the walls of the staircase. It swirled upwards, a burgandy runner covering the wooden steps.

They reached the second floor and waited for Draco to catch up. Harry was standing near the Weasley's bedroom and Ron by the bathroom, both right by the main stairs. Draco caught up and Ron led the way across the grand ballroom towards his room.

Ron snuck an impassive look at Draco, seeing whether he was impressed. Draco did look around, but he saw Ron looking at him, and his gaze fell to the floor again, regaining its irate appearance.

Harry looked up at the chandelier in the center of the wide ballroom. In the day, the sunlight would reflect from the glass and create colorful splashes on the walls. Now, at night, the chandelier was cold looking. Ron's room was just ahead and Harry couldn't help but notice that the only noise being made was the sound of their shoes stepping on the marble flooring.

Ron opened his bedroom door and Harry and Draco entered behind him. Draco walked in, determined not to look around, and Harry and Ron just stood by the door, not really knowing what they were supposed to do now. The moment was so very awkward.

Luckily, Dumbledore entered the room, breaking the painful silence as he walked up to Draco. "Mr. Malfoy, I know you will find it comfortable here."

Ron glanced at Harry with a look of doubt, but he quickly returned to his puzzled look. Dumbledore turned towards them and said, "I trust you will all get along, as it is in these times that we are most in need of friends."

He turned at an angle so as to speak to all three of them. "We have seen that any one of us is in danger of loneliness and grief, and I know that you will all help each other to fit in."

He smiled at each boy in turn and walked towards the door. Before he left, he turned around and waved his wand in a sort of "L" movement, so that a third bed appeared across from the two already in the room. He winked at Harry and said, "Sleep well tonight."