Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Day Against the Darkest Night by chica91

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
***************************************
Disclaimer: I DO NOT own any of this, JKR does, and you should know it.

A/N: In this story Ron and Hermione know about the prophesy, Harry told them and the war will begin soon.


Need to Know Info: Dumbledore told Harry the last battle will be at Hogwarts in a couple days and he along with Hermione and Ron are extremely upset and nervous. Nobody else knows yet and this is where the story starts….

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 1 ~ Preparations and Tears


It had been less than 24 hours since Dumbledore had told Harry the terrible news and already it seemed as if weeks had flown by. All the teachers were nervous and worried and it showed. Professor Snape hadn’t even given detention to Neville when he blew up his Power Up potion and Professor McGonagall hadn’t yelled at Ron for failing to turn his cat into a foot rest and talking to Harry instead. Everyone could see the strange behavior and they were getting suspicious.


In the Gryffindor Common Room, those to ignorant to notice the teachers, noticed how quiet Harry, Ron, and Hermione had been, when they talked, which they hardly did it always seemed to be in worried whispers. Furthermore, Ron and Hermione hadn’t bickered since yesterday afternoon and Harry had thrown an angry fit in at least a week.


However, if anyone had been close enough to hear some of their conversations, and it’s a good thing that they weren’t, it would have been like, “When is Dumbledore going to tell everyone?” “You’re right it’s only three days away!” “I guess we will have to wait.” Or it might have been like, “Harry are you sure your OK.” “Yes, I’m fine, don’t worry” “Alright.”


Nothing much else was ever discussed between them. Although the same thought pounded against Harry’s head like a hammer on a stubborn nail, it seemed to be drilling a hole in his skull. The thought that the battle, his only time to conquer the dark, was no less than 72 hours away.


The next morning breakfast seemed to be buzzing with rumors about what was going on at the school, each one Harry heard seemed even more absurd than the last. Harry nearly laughed when he heard people say, “Tina told me that a dragon had attacked Dumbledore’s brother and now they were mourning” or “Tyler told me that the Minister of Magic was attacked by Flesh-Eating Slugs.”


Conversely, all those rumors were squashed flat as a pancake when Dumbledore stood up at the end of breakfast. Harry clenched his teeth and waited tensely, he knew what was coming. “I have some bad news,” Dumbledore began, bad news to say the least thought Harry, “It seems, coming from very reliable sources” Dumbledore’s eyes flickered toward Snape, “Voldemort,” many people shivered at the name, “is planning to attack here, at Hogwarts in no more than three days” Dumbledore had been staring directly at Harry by the time he finished. Also, by that time the Great Hall had erupted in tears, whispers, and a few jeers from the Slytherins.


Once the Hall had calmed Dumbledore started again. “Because of this tragic event I have some rules I need to inform you of immediately, to begin with, after class’s end tomorrow you are to return to your common rooms promptly at 4:30. Fourth years and below you are not to leave you common room for any reason whatsoever, 5th years and above you may leave in emergency ONLY otherwise stay with the rest of the students. Food will be sent to your common rooms and you head of house will check on you every so often. Now, finally, and most importantly, on the dreaded day when Voldemort comes you must be brave, and stay together. Fourth years, you will stay in the common room and protect the younger student. However, fifth years and above, be prepared to fight. And win.” He said definitely. The hall was dead silent.


Slowly, clinging to their friends, people began to leave. The Gryffindor common room was quieter than ever remembered. No one spoke, it seemed as if everything had put on hold and everyone was holding their breath.


The next day classes seemed to fly by as if the clock had started moving 10 times faster than they should have. Before they knew it everyone was confined to their common rooms, to wait with dreaded fear and agony. Fear and agony no young kids should be forced to feel.


Despite the large amount of food sent up by the house elves no one seemed to be hungry even when enticed with desserts of all sorts, they wouldn’t eat, not even Ron. They just sat and waited sick with fearful anticipation.


No one even bothered to go to their rooms that night. They all found a part of the floor or couch to lie on, they felt safer together, friends next to friends and family with family. Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny all were squished together on the couch by the fire. All but Ginny knew Harry’s fate.


At one point, Dobby had come into the silent common room to bring Harry a gift. He had 5 brightly colored mismatched socks which Harry thanked him for as he loudly clamored out the portrait hole. Everyone fell asleep together in the common room.


The next day time seemed to slow down as if they were in an alternate reality. Right after dinner Dumbledore had come to take Harry, Ron, and Hermione leaving Ginny all on her own with a sad, scared expression. And, leaving all the Gryffindor’s a feeling of dread realizing how close the battle was approaching.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, in the Slytherin Common Room Draco Malfoy seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself. Joking about how all the worthless mudbloods would soon be killed, receiving many laughs from the Slytherins.


“I hope Granger gets hit first,” he said with gruesome relish, “Then poor potty scarhead will lose for sure” The common room erupted in laughter.


He continued to gloat through the rest of the night about how he had known for months about the attacks because his father was so high up with Voldemort. “I plan to fight right beside my father,” he said, “I wouldn’t fight on the same side as that bloody muggle-loving Dumbledore if my life depended on it.” He finalized.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Oblivious to Malfoy’s unbearably rude comments Harry, Ron, and Hermione had been getting settled, as best as they could, in the small room they would be staying in for the night. It was right near Dumbledore’s office so he could reach them in an emergency, if Voldemort came early.


The room was semi-furnished in 3 red and gold beds and a small dresser next to each. Harry had a feeling they had just been added for this “occasion.” Dumbledore had told them they should rest up, the needed it however, none of them even attempted to try and sleep. They knew it was useless, Voldemort was coming in less than 24hr. the last thing they could do was sleep.


They didn’t want to speak of the upcoming events, of the scary future that lay ahead of them. Instead, the reminisced on old times, the fun times. “Remember when Fred and George made their escape from Umbridge,” said Ron. “Oh Yes, that was brilliant!” replied Harry. They went on like than for hours, remember all the fun Hogwarts had brought them over the past seven years, but in the back of their minds they all knew it was a fun that would end tomorrow.


Eventually they fell into an awkward silence, filled with trepidation so thick it could be cut with a butcher’s knife. Until Harry finally spoke, “Thank You,” he began, “you guys are my best friends, I would be nothing without you. You have stuck by my, through thick and thin, danger and safety, triumph and defeat, I could never thank you enough. And I want you to know, with the battle coming I love you guys and we will always be together.”


A tear trickled down Hermione’s cheek. She couldn’t help but feel that this was Harry’s way to say good-bye, as if he believed he would not make it through the next day. She had faith in him, no matter what anyone said, he was her best friend. But even she knew everything was too unpredictable to have false hope.


They all had to face the facts, people would die, friends and family might be lost but they needed to stick together and believe that no matter what happened it was all worth it. The only thing Hermione could think to say, as one last encouraging statement, “If there is one thing Voldemort can’t understand it’s love, and we have it.” They sat waiting for the morning to arise.

* * * * * * * * * *

A/N: I hope you liked this chapter! I know this whole story has started kind of slow but its only the beginning. The battle should be starting in the next chapter, and by chapter 4 the battle will be in the thick of things I hope. Now PLLLLLLEAAAASSSSEEEEE review!!! :)