Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Day Against the Darkest Night by chica91

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I DO NOT own Harry Potter or anything to do with it!! DO NOT!!!

A/N: So I got this up as fast as I could now that Field Show season is over. I decided this will be the last chapter and I’m going to make a sequel on Harry’s recovery. It will probably answer a lot that this doesn’t.

Chapter 10 ~ The Power of Love

Ron and Hermione were kissing passionately, happy to finally be in each others arms. “Hem, hem.” Ron and Hermione broke apart blushing furiously as the healer returned, but she smiled.

“This boy Neville seems to be coming around, however, it doesn’t look good for the other young man, Percy, did you say? I’m sorry.”

“Thank you.” Ron murmured.

“Is there anything I can do?” The healer asked sympathetically.

“No, you’ve done more than enough already.” Hermione answered for him. So she left, probably going to check on other patients.


Ginny pulled a chair next to Harry’s bed. She sat staring at him filled with mixed emotions. His face was bruised and cut horribly and beneath that he was pale. She ran her hands along the sheets down his body, she felt swollen areas but what stood out even more was his weight. Ginny could feel every rib, every bone in his frail frame. Why had no one noticed how thin he had become? Why hadn’t Ginny noticed? They all depended on him like he was their last breath of life and he never depended on anyone. He had just fought the most heroic battle anyone ever had to do, never mind someone his age, and in this condition. She mentally scolded herself for not paying closer attention. However, she can’t go back and change the past, now she had to concentrate on why she was there, to save Harry. But how? She didn’t know how, but she knew she would. She felt it was her personal duty to herself, and she promised she would give him the best life she could when he woke up, he deserved it.


In a lonely little room, in a deserted hallway, an old man’s eyes gently fluttered open. He looked the same as ever, a slight twinkle in his knowing blue eyes, a little more dull than usual. Other than feeling a little drained and tired, he was in no physical pain, he ran his hands through his long, scraggly, silver beard and sat up. He gingerly placed his feet on the ground, testing his strength on each leg and eventually stood up; there were more important places he had to be right now. He slipped out of the room and down the hall so silently he could have been flying.
Immediately, he went in search of Harry. Using one of his many special abilities, he concentrated hard enough and was able to find Harry’s exact location. He rushed there, highly resenting the fact you couldn’t apparate in St. Mungo’s. He found the room with little difficulty and was saddened and surprised at was he saw upon his entrance. Seeing Harry’s limp body unconscious and hurt saddened him, but what surprised him was finding Ginny Weasley sitting by Harry, but judging by her reaction, he startled her more. “Pro…Professor! I though you were hurt.”

“Ah, yes, well I tend to recover rather quickly despite my years. Now, I think it might be a good thing you are here.” Dumbledore responded calmly.

“You do, sir?” Ginny asked confused.

“Why yes. If you found it so important to see Harry and you cared enough you were able to find him,” he paused while Ginny blushed a little at his directness and obvious knowledge of her feelings, “then I believe you will be important to his recovery, he is fueled by love as you well know.” That concluded his little speech and he stared at Harry.

Seemingly talking to himself, he whispered, “I’m so proud of him. He showed bravery, skill, and courage beyond his years, beyond my years even. He did more than any full trained adult could have done and after all his pain and all his suffering he deserves to live a happy life full of the people he loves and no worries. He needs to recover, for me, for himself, and for the entire wizarding world.” Ginny had no idea what to say.

“I don’t quite know how yet, but I will find a way to his recovery, and all his loved ones will be important, I need you to stay strong Ginny. And might I ask where I can find Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger?”

“Yes, sir. They are downstairs in one of the hospital rooms. They stopped a death eater that was undercover as a healer. He only had time to attack two people, Neville and Percy. Ron and Hermione took them to find a healer and are waiting there now. They do know I’m here, by the way.”

“Thank you. I think I’m going to go visit them, I will be back. Oh, and if the healer asks, I gave you permission to be here.” With that, Dumbledore swept from the room, giving Ginny a tiny wink before he left. Ginny felt at least a little comforted. If all the Weasley’s were okay, and Dumbledore still had confidence, things were definitely looking up, even if it was only the first rock in moving a mountain.


Dumbledore found them sitting quietly, and calmly walked in the room, but they were a little more surprised to see him. “Professor!” Ron yelled.

“Professor?” Hermione asked quizzically.

“Hello. I have recovered well, and I’m glad to see you both are fine as well. I can’t say as much for Harry though, but I think Ginny will keep a good watch on him for now.” Before either could say anything he continued.

“Now, how are these two doing? Ginny told me what happened, I’m very proud of you both.” Ron swelled a little with pride.

“Well, Neville is doing okay but Percy is not doing to well.” Hermione answered.

“I’m so sorry, how unfortunate.” Dumbledore answered respectively.

“Yeah,” Ron continued and asked the question on both his and Hermione’s mind, “Professor, do you think Harry’s going to make it? He will, right?”


“Now, that, I cannot answer honestly due to the fact I don’t know, but I really hope he does. He’s got countless supporters to cheer him on; I think he will Mr. Weasley.” Dumbledore said seriously, but there was a slight twinkle in his eyes.

Ron smiled, hope was better than nothing, he knew with or without Harry life would go on but he much rather it be the former. Harry gave his all and he deserved to live joyfully like the real Weasley that he is. Ron promised himself he would do all in his power to make that happen.

Hermione hated not knowing what was going to happen and she hated even more that she couldn’t go to a book to look this one up. All she could do was rely on Dumbledore’s hope that Harry would recover and it drove her crazy. She trusted Dumbledore completely, but books always gave her the relief of proof and knowledge. But she decided to set aside her reliance on books, Harry’s cure wouldn’t be found there and she will help in anyway to find a way to cure him, maybe things won’t be so bad. He will wake up, and he will get to live contently to a ripe old age, Hermione thought it might be good for him to meet her parents as well. He could see what most muggle parents were like, kind and caring. She looked at Ron, knowing they would be in for another journey together, Harry’s survival, no matter how long it took, the Golden Trio was forever and that was how it would be.

Dumbledore could almost read the thoughts going through their minds. He was glad they were so determined and hopeful, true Gryffindors, never giving up on each other. He was proud of them too, and was glad Harry had them all these years, he would be nowhere without them and he knew it. Dumbledore didn’t care what it took to make Harry recover, but he would. Being a man of old age who has seen a lot, he couldn’t bear to see the heartbroken faces of Ron Hermione, Ginny, of all the Weasley’s if Harry didn’t survive, so he promised he wouldn’t have to. Everything will be fine. The three in that room smiled in unison.

Ginny was alone with Harry, but she didn’t feel so alone. Even though talking to him was no better than talking to a wall, she felt like it was helping, well, it was helping her anyway. She hoped everyone would fight to their own death to save Harry; they couldn’t abandon their savoir, right? Maybe they just didn’t care because they were safe now, she hoped not. Ginny knew that whatever happened her, Ron, Hermione, and Dumbledore, and probably all of the Weasley’s and Remus, quite a large gang really, would fight for Harry’s survival and she was suddenly glad to have such a large family. Harry will make it. She smiled too, unknowingly the same time as the three far below her.


~The End

A/N: Well, the end! This did kind of come to an abrupt stop and this chapter is short but that’s okay. This was a short, not too exciting story but I think making a sequel will be better. I have a learned a lot about this story from writing it and I want to start new, I think the story itself will be better. The sequel will basically be starting where this leaves off, it will be up as soon as possible. It’s going to be called Love is the Best Medicine. So please review and keep a lookout for it!! :)