Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Blackout by Rowan_and_Rose

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 1: Forced into hiding

“I’m staying too,” said Hermione running into the Great Hall during breakfast. It was the 24th December, and most students had already made their Christmas arrangements. She waved a piece of parchment excitedly. “My parents say it’s Ok. They are going to an Orthodontic convention in Newcastle for a few days anyway.”

“That’s great Hermione,” Harry smiled. “Ron’s just got an owl and Mrs Weasley says he and Ginny can stay for Christmas too. I think everyone else is going home though, so we’ll probably have Gryffindor tower all to ourselves.”

Hermione nodded as she carefully lifted a runny fried egg onto her plate. “Everyone is getting ready to leave. I think Ginny’s just saying bye to Dean now.”

Harry looked over to Ron and saw him grip his spoon tightly. His face was also a little red, but he said nothing. Ron had been shocked to find out that Ginny was going out with Dean at the end of last year. Harry and Hermione heard almost nothing but abuse from Ron for the first few summer weeks. Even when they returned after the summer holidays Ron hadn’t spoken to Dean for a month. Harry had to agree though. He too, had been extremely surprised when he found out about Ginny’s current boyfriend.

“Hi Ginny,” said Hermione. Harry looked up to see Ginny walking over to their table, a tear trickling down her face. “What’s wrong?” Hermione asked sympathetically.

“We broke up. “ Ginny replied miserably. “It’s OK though, it wasn’t really working out; at least, not the way I’d hoped,” she added bravely. Contrary to her words, however, the tiny waterfall of tears did not stop flowing as she sat down next to Harry. She wiped the tears away silently and pulled her plate towards her. Harry wanted nothing more than to comfort Ginny. During his stay at The Burrow that summer, they had grown closer. He hated to see her crying like this. Slowly he slid along towards her, his mind racing and his breath quickening, wondering what he could say to cheer her up. He smiled shyly but suddenly Hermione had sat down and was hugging Ginny tightly. Harry sighed quietly and moved back to his seat.

"Ok. I say in order to cheer Ginny up, we should go to Hogsmeade," announced Ron, looking at his sister’s sad little face.

"That’s sweet Ron, but I am not sure that’s a good idea,” said Hermione gently.

"Why not?" protested Ron.

"You haven't read the paper yet, have you?" whispered Ginny, knowing full-well he wouldn’t have bothered.

"No," replied Ron. "Why? What’s going on?"

Hermione looked at Ginny, then at Harry and Ron. Harry was starting to get a little annoyed. He was unaware of what Hermione was keeping from them. Secretly, he had been quite looking forward to a day out with Ginny. She looked so miserable right now, though he didn't want to admit that feeling even to himself. He also remembered the pile of Potions homework waiting for him, and thought he would be glad for an excuse to put it off for another day.

"Ok, is someone going to explain what is going on?" asked Harry rather sharply.

Hermione looked up from the breakfast she’d been fiddling with. "It’s the Dementors, Harry." She spoke slowly, leaning towards them and lowering her voice, even though the hall was practically empty apart from them and a few teachers at their end table. "They have joined with Voldemort. It was in the papers today. I am not sure that we should leave the safety of the castle at a time like this."

Harry thought he saw a glint of fear in Ron's face. His friend recovered quickly, however, and pretended the news didn't bother him.

"Oh come on Hermione, the Dementors are not going to be in Hogsmeade!" said Ron. “Dumbledore would have said something if didn’t want us to leave.”

Her nose wrinkled for a moment while she thought. “I still don’t think we should go, we wouldn’t want to get in trouble.”

Ron simply rolled his eyes at this and sighed loudly.

“Besides,” Hermione added angrily, “I’m sure you have homework to be getting on with.”

“It’s Christmas Eve!” Ron argued.

“Come on Hermione. We should do something fun.” Harry said persuasively.

“Fine.” Hermione said pushing her plate away. “But I’m not going to be the one helping you with your Potions essay on the last day of the holidays!” She stood up and the bench scraped loudly on the stone floor.

“Meet back here in twenty minutes, Ok?” Harry shouted after her but he got no reply.


About twenty-five minutes later, all four Gryffindors had arrived back outside the Great Hall wrapped in their cloaks. The girls took the extra five minutes, of course. After checking themselves for money and mittens, with constant mutterings of “Women!” from Ron, they set off for Hogsmeade for what promised to be an enjoyable day.



Although there’d been a cloudless sky when they set off from Hogwarts, great blankets covered the sky as they strolled. It soon started to rain and the four hurried into the Three Broomsticks pub. Ron and Hermione went to the bar to order four Butterbeers, while Harry and Ginny went to find a table. They sat down in a corner booth next to a group of squabbling goblins and took off their cloaks. Harry was wondering if goblins ever participated in a polite conversation, when he noticed his hair was dripping wet and sticking up even more than usual. He tried to flatten it down, but it totally refused. Ginny smiled at Harry’s efforts and when he noticed, he stopped abruptly, feeling quite silly.

“So, I guess Ron will be able to stop worrying… now you and Dean have broken up, I mean,” Harry said desperately. He was merely trying to make conversation and distract Ginny from his dripping wet hair.

“Yeah,” she shrugged feeling a little annoyed at how insensitive he was being, considering they’d broken up less than an hour before. “I will date again though, I’m sure."

“Well yeah but it probably won’t be one of his friends again will it?” Harry replied. “I think that got to Ron a bit, the fact that it was his friend and his sister.”

Ginny smiled and raised one eyebrow cheekily. “Who I like isn't really Ron's concern, though, is it? Even if it is one of his friends.”

Harry gulped suddenly. He wondered if Ginny was suggesting that she still liked him. Hermione and Ron came over with the tray of Butterbeers, which they all drank greedily, and the conversation soon changed to the Dementors.

"So what do you think about all this?" said Ron turning to Harry who wiped all thoughts of Ginny from his mind. Harry would never want Ron to know he was thinking about his sister. He thought the news might send his protective friend over the edge.

"Erm," said Harry shaking his head "I don’t know. I know it isn't good news, but well... let's just not think about it right now. Hey! I really wanted to look in Quality Quidditch Supplies. Could we go there now?" he asked anxiously. He was feeling uncomfortable just talking about the Dementors.

"Yeah, sure," said Ron, gulping down the last of his drink. They slipped out of their booth, and began walking toward the door. On the way, Ron glanced across to Hermione (when Harry was looking the other way) and gave her a questioning look; she just shrugged, so they left the pub and set off towards Quality Quidditch Supplies.

Outside, it was surprisingly quiet. The weather was bad, but Hogsmeade was never usually this deserted. When they reached Quality Quidditch Supplies, a dried up piece of parchment had been plastered to the door. It was closed, and upon further inspection, so were all the other shops nearby.

“Wonder what’s goin’ on," mumbled Ron as they set off back to the castle.

“I bet everyone’s been scared by the Dementor warning,” Hermione answered as she pulled her cloak further up to protect herself against the rain. The rain was pouring down now in large soaking drops and they rushed down the path, back to the castle.

When they arrived at Hogwarts, they headed straight up to Gryffindor Tower. The fire was crackling away and they warmed up almost immediately. Ron sat down on the nearest chair to the fire and took off his cloak. He hung it on the gothic stone mantelpiece, hoping it would dry soon, and put his feet up on the tiny table in front of him. Harry sank lazily into the chair opposite and Ginny sat down cross-legged on the rug at Harry’s feet with a quill and parchment. It was so warm and cosy in the common room, Harry felt like dropping off. Hermione, however, grabbed her bag and went to sit at a desk on the other side of the room.

“Hey, come and sit with us Hermione.” Ginny shouted. “Ron will budge over for you,” she grinned mischievously. Ron went pink as he moved over and Hermione squished in next to him.

“Err . . . what are you reading?” Ron asked, all bunched up and looking uncomfortable.

Hermione looked up. “The Daily Prophet. I want to find out the latest news on these Dementors.”

“Oh, you’re not worried are you?” Ron asked peering over her shoulder at the pictures of swooping Dementors on the newspaper’s front cover.

“Well they’ve been sighted close by. I’m worried they might be looking…” she glanced up mid-sentence.

“-Looking for me,” Harry finished and Hermione nodded. Harry looked outside and was quite glad to see the sun had just managed to poke through the clouds. A dazzling sunset was preferable to beating rain any day. "It's stopped raining,” he said.

Ginny stood up, put the parchment she’d been doodling on in her pocket, and reached for her cloak. "Anyone fancy a walk around the grounds?" she looked to Ron, then Hermione and her eyes rested on Harry, she smiled.

“Sure,” Harry replied stretching.

“I’m coming too.” Ron said and Ginny passed the boys their cloaks.

“I think I’ll stay here,” Hermione said. “I’m reading this.”

“Oh come on!” Ron persuaded, grabbing her hand and pulling her up.

They walked down the steps and out on to the grounds, the sun was just setting and the sky was a glow of pinkish-orange, everything looked so peaceful. The four ambled companionably to the edge of the lake. It was a freezing cold evening and the sky was turning steadily darker, but they sat down, huddling together and chatting about Christmas presents and Quidditch.

Hermione squealed and jumped up as she felt something cold and wet hit the back of her neck and slide down her collar. She looked up and saw that snow was beginning to fall.

“A white Christmas!” Ginny cried happily and began dancing around, trying to make the others sing.

“Ginny’s singing isn’t that bad!” Ron laughed at the look on Harry’s face. “Hey are you Ok?”

“No, it’s my scar.” Harry winced screwing up his eyes. “It hasn’t hurt like this all year.”

Ginny’s voice died down and Hermione stood up, shivering and glancing around worriedly.

“Let’s go back to the castle,” she said quietly and the others nodded and stood up.

“Wait!” Harry said urgently. His eyes squinted into the darkness, where he saw thirteen silhouettes gliding over the lake towards them. He gasped suddenly. His scar burnt as though hot coals were being pressed to his forehead.

"What is it?" asked Ginny, fearfully following his gaze.

Harry recognised the foremost dark figure leading the others over the partially frozen lake. It was the person he dreaded and feared the most.

"Voldemort!" he replied- surprised for a moment that Ginny hadn't winced at the name but- he had no time to ponder this. "We have to get Dumbledore now!" he hissed urgently.

In his mind, Harry had replayed the moment where he had seen Voldemort back at the ministry- when Sirius died. He tried not to think of this as he saw- and more importantly, felt- a dozen Dementors gliding over the lake towards them. It felt as though icy cold water was being poured down his back. He grabbed his wand, and they started to edge away from the lake. They turned to run, but Harry fell to the ground in pain.

Suddenly, he heard a scream, but it was a distant memory: his mother. It was the Dementors that were doing this to him; forcing him to relive his worst memories. He tried to open his eyes, but the pain was too much and his body felt so weak. Just as suddenly, the screaming stopped and instead, Harry saw an image in his mind’s eye. He recognised it at once. It was an archway with a ratty curtain. He heard the screeching voice of Bellatrix Lestrange and saw Sirius falling back through the curtain. He’d dreamed this for months, but the memory seemed so real now, he wanted to help Sirius, he wasn’t dead, he couldn’t be! Harry yelled in anger and pulled himself upright.

He stared at the frozen lake, somehow Voldemort and the Dementors seemed to have vanished. Hermione pointed towards the castle and the others stared in that direction and saw Dumbledore, McGonagall and Snape racing towards them.

"Harry," said Dumbledore simply as he drew nearer.

"Voldemort," was all Harry could say.

"Yes, I know. Listen all of you; you must find a place to hide. Don't come out until we come to find you," he said calmly.

"But how will you find us if you don’t know where we are going?" said Harry quickly, feeling confused.

"We will find you,” said Dumbledore full of confidence. Harry had always trusted Dumbledore so he didn’t question his decision any further.

"What about the rest of the order?" asked Harry anxiously.

“They will be on their way,” said Dumbledore, understanding this must be difficult for him. It always seemed like Dumbledore knew how hard life was for Harry. Voldemort wanted him dead, and any time he’d got close or cared for anyone, he had that ripped away from him. He must have known how severely Sirius’s death had affected Harry, just a few months before.

“Go!” Dumbledore shouted.

Harry nodded and with that he led his friends away from the lake, racing over the grounds.

“Harry,” Ron gasped as he caught up, “the Shrieking Shack!” Harry nodded and pulled Ginny to the right towards the Whomping Willow and the passage that would lead them to the Shrieking Shack.



A/N: Thanks to AlexisTaylor for helping us get this story perfect. Please review and carry on reading the story when the other chapters are submitted.