Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Loved Him First by Valentinia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 10: Peter Pettigrew

After breakfast, the four boys ran upstairs to grab their brooms, as they had decided over breakfast to go out flying for a while.

Sitting at the table, waiting for her friends, Petunia, who hadn't flown in ages, was full of excitement. She was going to get to get up into the air again!

Finally, the Marauders arrived at the front of the entrance hall and waved frantically for her to come.

She walked over to them, and the five friends headed towards the Quidditch pitch.

"I can't wait to go camping!" Sirius was babbling to Remus, "I mean like real Muggle camping! That's what we'll be doing, right 'Tu... Petunia? Must be really exciting!"

Petunia rolled her eyes, and nudged James, who laid a warm, protecting arm around Petunia's waist, and she snuggled up to him, though she felt very warm already. She didn’t complain.

The others sniggered a bit, but at James’ look, they returned to their conversation about the camping trip at the end of summer break.

"... And we'll roast marshmallows..."

"Get over it, Padfoot! You'll have to wait 'till the break, anyway."

"I know, I know... Although, maybe… our dormitory is fairly large…" he mused in a voice that was so serious Petunia knew he was kidding.

She giggled. "It's really not that great," she started, but then, seeing that Sirius was intent on thinking they would be having a great adventure she didn't even try.

Arriving at the pitch, Sirius and James kicked off immediately, while Petunia headed over to the storage shed with Peter, who also did not own a broom. Remus, apparently, was too tired and was sitting out.

The two walked along in silence for a while.

"You don't like me, do you?" his squeaky voice came from Petunia's left.

She looked down at the short, blond boy next to her, carefully looking over his podgy face, the fat cheeks almost hiding the small, blue, watery, cold eyes… Wait, Petunia thought, blinking. Cold?

He, too, was closely examining the girl in front of him, eying her large front teeth and lank hair.

"Do you hate me?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I see it in the way you look at me, all the time, like you don't trust me. You don't do you? When you look at me it's different, always. I want to know, I want to know the truth! Answer my question. Do you hate me?" His voice was becoming higher and higher as he ranted on.

"Should I?"

Petunia's voice was exceptionally hard as she stared down at the boy. Do I? She asked herself, do I hate him? No, she answered herself, hate was too strong a word. He was James's friend, after all. She didn't like him though - that much was certain. But why not? If only she knew what it was that made her dislike him so. Petunia always thought she was good at reading people, though, and something about Peter made her distrustful.

"What's that supposed to mean? Are you accusing me? What have I ever done? Nothing! I'm innocent! I did nothing, nothing, you hear me?"

His cries were becoming hysterical, as if he were on one hand looking for her approval, and on the other hand had completely forgotten Petunia was there. Petunia took pity on him.

"Look, Peter, I am not accusing you of anything. I know you've done nothing. I know that you're innocent," she reassured him, soothingly patting his back.

His sobs subsided, leaving Petunia wondering. Now, she was sure something was wrong. But he was James's friend, so she would let it be. After all, she didn't have to be best mates with Peter.

Still... there was something suspicious about him. Petunia, always a nosy girl, she thought proudly, would be watching him carefully.

By this time they had reached the shed and were getting out two school brooms out.

They walked all the way back in silence.

Upon returning to the field, Peter looked Petunia in the eye, just for a moment. This look clearly said: Please, please don't tell anyone.

Petunia gave him a tiny, tight nod.

"What took you? What were you two doing, huh?" Sirius yelled, pretending to be annoyed.

"Yeah, Wormtail. She's taken, remember?" Remus added, grinning at James.

“Why you little… You’re disgusting!” Maybe it wasn't a very nice thing to say, but Petunia wasn't considering that just then.

Jumping onto her broom, Petunia raced towards Remus, who was lounging in the stands Changing courses, she quickly sped after James instead, when James stuck his tongue out at her. Plus, James, being on a broomstick (and a much better one that Petunia's at that) posed more of a challenge.

He flew away, and Petunia flew after him, as fast as she could, but she hadn't a chance on her old school model.

James slowed down, letting her catch up to him for a second, laughing, then he sped up once more and Petunia raced after him, panting slightly.

Sirius and finally Peter, too, joined the game of tag above the Quidditch pitch.

Eventually Petunia, Sirius and Peter had caught James, and were speeding towards the ground, giggling and whooping with delight.

Peter cringed fearfully as Petunia barely missed the ground, pulling up into the air again.

All the boys looked on admiringly.

"You should really try out for your team next year, 'Tunia. I never thought I’d say it, but maybe Hufflepuff would have a chance!" James told her, awed.

Sirius just gaped; Remus, who had walked down, patted her back, while Peter broke into quiet applause. Soon the clapping grew louder, as all four Marauders joined in.

Petunia's face was burning, but somewhere deep inside she felt very, very pleased. Perhaps she would go to the Quidditch tryouts next year.

However, she couldn't let the boys make fools of themselves, so she shot up to where they hovered, crashing through the middle of their brooms, starting the chase over once more, with a cry of: “What do you mean Hufflepuff might have a chance?"

Around 6 o'clock, Petunia, Remus and Peter managed to convince their more adventurous friends to go back to the castle for some dinner.

Chattering and laughing, they sat down at the table, near Luisa. Petunia started chatting with her and the Marauders at the same time, everyone posing questions, yet not waiting for answers, as teenagers are apt to do.

Just then, the world was at peace for the group of friends.