Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Loved Him First by Valentinia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 24: The Meaning of Magic

The man, no, boy, who had been torturing her suddenly cut the curse off. Though the pain left her body, Petunia continued to tremble.

She didn't even have the time to be thankful the curse had stopped, for her torturer grabbed her arm roughly.

"What're you doing?" she managed to ask, though her venomous tone of voice was somewhat marred with a small coughing fit.

The addressed didn't answer her, but gripped her more tightly, and apparated away, pulling Petunia with him.

Seconds later, Petunia found herself lying on a cold, stone floor.

"I thought... you... how could you? You were supposed to be James's friend! My friend!"

"Well, I opted for bigger things. Better things. Powerful friends. My own power," Peter answered, smirking.

"Bigger and better things? That's what you call this? That's what you call murdering innocent people? That's what you call torturing and hurting others? You're willing to do all this... this... evil for power?"

This time, Petunia's voice did sound quite venomous. Threatening even. Of course, it was hard to be threatening when lying, defenseless at the feet of one's enemy.

For that was what Peter had just become. It was funny; really, how quickly he had made the transition from friend to enemy.

Obviously, he was unsure of what to say to this. But Peter was relieved of having to justify this betrayal by the appearance of his cronies.

All the other young Death Eaters who had been fighting Petunia's friends appeared.

One of them, the one with sleek blond hair and rather cruel gray eyes, the one she knew to be called Malfoy, walked up to her.

"Evans. You're a conceited one for a Mudblood, aren't you?"

His voice was just as sleek as his hair, but there was a menacing undertone.

"Well, I did battle Voldemort, and I'm still alive, aren't I?"

Behind Malfoy, all the Death Eaters reacted to her saying Voldemort's names. Many hissed and shuddered, and Sirius's cousin, Bella, muttered, "How she dares!"

Malfoy, however (though he had sharply sucked his breath in when she had said 'Voldemort') continued.

"You think you're his match, do you? You, a mere child! A Mudblood child! He was not defeated by you, you worthless..."

Malfoy was cut off when a tall, dark figure suddenly appeared with a swish of a cloak.

"Thank you, Malfoy!" Lord Voldemort said in ringing tones.

"Oh, master..." Malfoy, said fervently, crawling to Voldemort on his hands and knees to kiss the hem of his master's robes.

"You are dismissed!" Voldemort hissed to his followers, and, immediately, they disappeared.

"Ah, Evans," Voldemort spoke, addressing Petunia, "Yes... I must say you did put up a rather good fight for a child. For a half-blood."

He smirked slightly.

"Yes. As Malfoy told you, though, I must say I was not at the height of my powers. I had just gotten rid of a rather important foe. I say important, as it was this death that will help me reach my lifetime goal. Immortality."

Petunia stared up at him. Why was he telling her this? Didn't he realize that she would tell Dumbledore everything. If she ever saw Dumbledore again, that was.

As if having read her thoughts (which, Petunia thought bitterly was pretty much what he must have done) Voldemort chuckled. It was not a pleasant sound, but an eerie, ringing tone that Voldemort was emitting.

"You wish to tell that Muggle-loving old fool of my plans? Of my Horcruxes? You will never get this chance, I assure you. By the end of the evening, I am sure you will be dead. Unless you choose to help me."

Now it was Petunia's turn to laugh. And her laugh sounded almost as hollow as Voldemort's had.

"Help you? Never. I prefer death."

"And you will, undoubtedly receive this in the end," Voldemort said, "but now... Pettigrew!"

Peter instantly appeared groveling at his feet.

"You will get her to talk. Enjoy your revenge, Pettigrew."

"No, Peter, please!" Petunia pleaded, but then she stopped herself.

She was not weak. She would not die pleading. Petunia Evans would die strong and proud. And she would die without having betrayed her friends. Without having said a single word. No matter what anyone did to her.

Peter looked nervous, but complied nonetheless. He directed his wand at her, and, for the second time that day, Petunia felt that terrible feeling of being burned with a thousand hot pokers, of having millions of knives stuck into her simultaneously.

"Tell me everything you know. How much did your mother tell Dumbledore?" Peter's voice shook slightly, but, glancing at his master, he continued, "What about Potter and Black and Lupin? What do you know about the Order of the Phoenix?"

"Slowly, Pettigrew," Voldemort drawled, "give her time to answer."

"Well?" Peter said, looking down at Petunia.

It was extremely hard to even think through the haze of pain, but Petunia managed to answer him.

"Traitor!" she gasped, "traitor! How dare you? Traitor! Traitor!"

Petunia fell back into silence, as it took all her strength not to scream in agony.

"I don't think she knows anything, my lord," Peter said, hesitantly to Voldemort.

"We shall see," Voldemort replied, "continue."

But then Malfoy burst back into the room.

"Dumbledore is here! And most of the Order, I think. They've gotten the others already. I just managed to get away..."

"Fool!" hissed Voldemort, "Pettigrew. You know what to do.

Peter threw himself apprehensively at Voldemort's feet, and Voldemort began performing the Cruciatus on him. Peter yelled in pain, and Voldemort motioned Malfoy was to take Petunia and leave.

Malfoy did as he was told. They were leaving. Leaving Peter and Voldemort and her would-be rescuers behind. And that was all Petunia remembered.

She must have blacked out from the pain, as she now lay, unable to move from the dull ache in an empty room. Malfoy had gone.

Petunia did not know it, of course, but hours had passed. Dumbledore and the Order thought they had defeated all the Death Eaters. And Voldemort had disappeared. And many of the Order had died in the battle.

But Petunia knew none of this. She could now hear Dumbledore talking to Peter, however, just outside the room she was in.

"...Find out who it was who betrayed you?" Dumbledore asked.

"No... no... only... well he said... maybe... but Remus would never!" Peter's voice replied.

"And what did they do to you, Peter?" Dumbledore continued briskly, but compassionately. He doesn't deserve compassion, Petunia thought weakly.

"Tortured me," Peter gasped, "wanted information. About you. The Order."

"And Miss Evans?" Dumbledore inquired, "What did they do with her?"

"I- I don't know. I didn't see her."

"I'm right here!" Petunia tried to say, but her voice failed her. Had she been charmed so she could neither speak nor move? Or was it merely exhaustion and abuse?

"I have attempted to find her in every way possible, but have turned out no results. I can only conclude that they have taken her with them. We will try, of course, to find her."

"Some rooms might be..." Peter began, but stopped himself.

"Yes?" prompted Dumbledore, "some rooms might be what, exactly?"

"Um... locked," Peter finished, and Petunia knew it was not what he had been planning to say.

"I have tried other means of locating the girl, Peter. Not merely searching with my eyes. I have attempted to magically find her. She is not to be found. Of course, if you have information as to where she might be, Peter, share it now, please."

His deep blue eyes were gazing at Peter, contemplating him, Petunia was sure, but never seeing him for what he was.

And then it hit her. This room must be unplottable. Voldemort really must be a great wizard, Petunia admitted grudgingly, if not even Dumbledore could find her. If not even magic could find her.

Yes, Dumbledore and magic could not help her now. She was left to die here. Abandoned by all. And it was Voldemort's fault!

No. No. It wasn't Voldemort's fault that Dumbledore could not find her. It was not Voldemort's fault that Luisa was dying, nor that James did not love her either.

Petunia's thoughts were straying from the present situation, as all her life flashed before her as though she were dying.

It was no one's fault, really. No. It was the fault of... of magic she decided. After all, where had magic gotten her? Nowhere! Magic hadn't been able to save Luisa or her parents, magic hadn't brought James' love back to her. No, Petunia decided she would give up magic. Forever. And she wished an unpleasant demise on anyone who tried to bring it back to her. Magic had ruined her family, her love, her dreams, and her very soul. Magic had ruined her.

And with this thought she fainted into darkness again.