Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Loved Him First by Valentinia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 26: I Loved Him First

Dear Ms. Evans,

The last time we corresponded, it must have seemed to you that I was attempting to keep you away from Hogwarts. This time it is with utmost sincerity that I beg you to return. Voldemort still reigns, as I'm sure you're aware, and we are in desperate need of true talent like yours. I apologize that we did not find you earlier, and I assure you that we have searched for you unwaveringly until this moment. Your sister...


Petunia laughed out loud as she ripped the letter up, tossed it into the flames of Amy's fireplace. Dumbledore had found her just one day after Amy and Vernon, and it was too late. She would never return, and it was with reluctance that she had even accepted the owl into her temporary home. Dumbledore's false sincerity mocked her, as Petunia stood resolute in her decision not to return to the magical world that had failed her. His was the last owl she ever accepted. It was weeks before they stopped coming, but eventually the flow was stemmed.

------------------------------------------------------------------


"Very good, Miss Evans. Marvelous. Miss Conrad, if you would stop passing notes to Miss Adams, perhaps you could be this good. Ah well, class dismissed"

The wheezing voice pulled Petunia from her memories as she recited dully the mathematical formula the class had been studying for the past weeks. Their elderly mathematics teacher, Ms. McDonald, smiled at Petunia in passing. A rare treat. Ever since Petunia had first attended St. Elizabeth's two years ago, Ms. McDonald had reminded her uncannily of Professor McGonagall. So much in this world was just like her old world. Yet so much was different. She tried to keep such thoughts out of her mind though.

'McGonagall is dead. They’re all dead,' she told herself firmly.

"Brilliant, 'Tunia. I don't know how you understand all that stuff. I mean it's just so boring!" Amy said, as she and Petunia left the classroom together.

Indeed, Amy was one of the worst students Petunia was sure the school had ever seen. And that was saying something, as most who attended the prestigious St. Elizabeth's were merely there because of good connections and money. Not brains.

Perhaps that was why the teachers loved having Petunia in their classes. Of the thirty some students that were in the classroom, Petunia was usually one of the four or so who understood every concept.

All her free time was devoted to studying as well; with the exception of the time she had to spend with Amy, for fear of losing her place at the school and her temporary home.

This time had become less (much to Petunia's relief) in this last year, though, for Amy had finally gotten Vernon to ask her out. They were now officially a couple and Amy spent all her free time over at his school, Smeltings, which was right next door to St. Elizabeth's. They were sister schools.

Amy and Petunia had just reached the football field of Smeltings where they waited for Vernon to join them, since today was Friday.

As soon as he arrived, Amy and Vernon began demonstrating their newfound relationship, arms wrapped around each other's waists with Petunia walking on Amy's other side, not quite sure how to act.

"We're going out to take a walk," Amy said, dismissing Petunia.

Ignoring the fact that she was being treated like a servant of Amy (she was used to it by now after all) Petunia nodded, noticing Vernon looking slightly upset. She did not think this relationship would last much longer. Petunia wouldn't have been fussed about this if it weren't for the fact that Vernon was hinting heavily that he wanted Petunia to be his next girl. And she knew that she wouldn't be able to say no.

Though Amy pretended it was her family, Petunia knew it was actually Mr. Dursley, Vernon's father, who was paying for her to attend the school. And who was employing her.

For Petunia had found a summer job as the personal secretary of the boss of a company called "Grunnings" that made drills. This boss was, of course, Mr. Dursley himself.

Petunia sorted his paperwork, answered calls and dealt with angry consumers whose products had malfunctioned. And Mr. Dursley paid her to do it. Paid her a lot. She didn't like to think of her dependency too much.

Math had been their last class of the day, and so Petunia was heading back to the dorm she shared with Amy and a smart (Petunia guessed another scholarship student, or, more accurately, charity case) girl called Yvonne.

Sometimes Petunia studied with her, and she was the closest to a friend she had found (not counting Amy and Vernon, whom she didn't quite consider friends, of course).

Petunia had just finished her math assignment and settled down on her bed with a novel Yvonne had lent her when she heard someone enter the room. She looked up, surprised to see Vernon walking towards her. Hadn't Amy said they were taking a walk?

She looked at her watch. Less than half an hour had passed since then. Bit of a short walk, wasn't it.

"Hey, 'Tunia," Vernon greeted, looking strangely not-guilty, though Petunia was sure he should be.

"Um... hi. Weren't you and Amy taking a walk?"

"Yeah, well. She was annoying me. Don't know where she is now," Vernon stated, still not remotely guilty looking.

Then he leaned forward to Petunia. She knew what was coming. And she didn't want it. But she knew if she didn't let this happen, she would lose any chance of a decent life. She would be left on the streets. Abandoned. Again.

Vernon's face had reached her own now. He kissed her on the lips. Petunia knew he meant it to be gentle, but the kiss didn't convey gentleness at all.

Petunia was disgusted. She felt for Amy. This was exactly what James had done. Well no. Lily had returned James' kiss and that had made the betrayal much harder to bear. Still, it was close to being the same.

Even though Petunia couldn't stand Amy she knew that this wasn't right, wouldn't even be right if she had wanted it. Poor Amy.

At that moment the blond came around the corner.

"Vernon! I've been looking everywhere..."

But she stopped dead mid-sentence.

Petunia pulled away.

"Amy, I... we..." she started, but Amy cut in.

"How long has this been going on? I thought you were my friend!"

"This was the first time, I swear..." Petunia hastened to reply.

This scenario was so familiar. She couldn't stand it. It was like a terrible déjà vu. Eerie, really.

"I don't care. Congrats on ruining our friendship. You stole my man. How dare you, you... you bitch!"

Petunia had never seen her this unhinged. Amy made to slap her, but Vernon stopped her.

"Look, sorry. But we just don't go together the way I go with 'Tunia. And she is not the bitch here. You're the one who's slept with half of Smeltings, including the professors!"

Petunia wanted to contradict him, she wanted to so badly. She did NOT "go with him", no more than she had gone with the Giant Squid in the lake at Hogwarts! The old Petunia would have told him so. The old, passionate Petunia, the witch, would have hit him for saying that. But then again, that Petunia would never have kissed him in the first place.

And that wasn't who she was anymore. Giving up the magical world hadn't meant only friends. It had meant giving up herself. Her personality. Her identity. Her integrity. And she despised this new self. But this was who she was now.

Enough of the old Petunia remained to be stubborn and unwilling to return to the world that had failed her. The world that had taken all she loved from her.

Thinking these thoughts, Petunia felt a single tear slide down her cheek.

"It's okay," Vernon was saying, "ignore her. She's jealous. It's ridiculous. I know."

"This is such a betrayal of my friendship and kindness! After everything my family has done for you! How dare you!" Amy screeched.

Yes, Betrayal. Everything in Petunia's life had been about betrayal, hadn't it? James had betrayed her by leaving her for Lily. Lily had betrayed her by wanting James. Her father had betrayed her mother to Voldemort. Peter had betrayed her and her friends to her parents' murderer. But this was the first time she was the betrayer. In all honesty, Petunia preferred being the victim. Even that had hurt less than this, somehow. But there was no going back.

"Your family?" Vernon spat, "It was my family who took care of Petunia. My mum and dad pay for her to go to school! My dad employs her! And I love her! I always have!"

"You've always loved her, have you?" Amy yelled back, "Well, let me tell you this, Petunia. I loved him first."

I know, Petunia thought. I know. I loved him first, too. She didn't mean Vernon. She meant the man she had loved. The man she still loved; would always love. The man she, not Lily, deserved. James. The one she had loved first.