Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Prince of Darkness by Bellatrix Lovegood

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
She was held in a warm circlet of arms, though whom they belonged to she couldn’t remember. She was lying on her side, snuggled into the side of someone and they were holding onto her for dear life. She didn’t know who this person was, but she knew that she never wanted to let go of them.

Groaning, she opened her eyes and immediately closed them again, as a stream of bright light flooded her eyes. “Urgh,” she muttered, and the person beside her shifted. Whoever it was stood up, and Ginny immediately let out a cry of protest, and eyes still tightly shut to protect her from the bright light, reached out and grabbed their leg.

The person tripped, laughing and Ginny searched for a memory of that laughter. She had heard it once before, but where?

“Let go Ginny,” the amused voice came. “I have to close the curtains.”

She suddenly recognized the voice. Draco! Her mind shrieked. Draco Malfoy? Her eyes flew open to be greeted with the semi-darkness of a room with curtains closed. Draco Malfoy stood at the door.

She realized she was lying on a bed. “Draco?” she squeaked, mind still catching up. “What- what-” with a sudden stream of memory, the events of late flew back into her head. He sat in the lotus position, watching her with an amused smile.

“Oh. Hello,” she said somewhat awkwardly.

“Hello.”

“Er, how are you this morning?” In reply, Draco stood, pulled her up and kissed her hard on the lips. It only took a split-second for her to react, arms sliding around his neck as he supported her gently at the waist. She smiled dreamily through the kiss, for it seemed so familiar and so right that when they came up panting for air, she almost growled in frustration before going back for another.

Half an hour later, Draco pushed Ginny away, smirking.

She looked at him, disappointed. “Why’d you do that?”

“The light has returned in case you haven’t noticed. We have to go and find out what that whole thing was about.”

“Why?” She tried to pull his head down to her level, desperately wanting to caress his lips again.

He pulled up reluctantly. “Because there may have been something dangerous that caused it.”

“Do you care?” she growled, reaching up on her tip-toes.

“Ginny, we have to go.”

“Fine then.” She ran a hand through her hair and buttoned up her top which had somehow ‘fallen’ open. She pulled on her cloak and watched as Draco went through the same procedures. “Draco?”

“Mmmn?”

“Are we going to tell the others about this?”

His expression became serious. “I don’t mind Ginny. People in Slytherin will react, but I’m not really good friends with anyone, except maybe Parkinson.” A frown passed over Ginny’s face; he almost laughed. “But I know that you Gryffindor’s are a lot closer, so if you think this will ruin friendships we’ll keep it secret.”

“I- I think I’d rather just keep it between us for a while. Is that okay?”

“That’s fine.” He pulled her to him and kissed her warmly. “Let’s go.”

She slipped her hand in his almost automatically, but when he looked down sadly at her she realised what people would think if they saw them holding hands. She released it, and felt strangely empty with no part of her in contact with him.

***

“There you are,” a relieved Ron cried as the pair walked into the Great Hall. He grabbed Ginny in a bear hug, holding her close to him. Draco began to walk away to his own friends, knowing it would look strange if he hung around the Golden Trio, for he had a feeling that people only saw the trio, and not Ginny who hung so uncertainly on the outskirts. His heart ached as her eyes met his over her brothers shoulder, who was still hugging her. She managed to smile faintly at him- they had only been apart two minutes and yet already she was hungering for him.

“Gerroff Ron,” Ginny laughed. “I’m fine.”

Harry stood looking awkward around her, and Ginny smiled warmly at him, a smile that he hesitantly returned. “Where have you been?” he asked.

“Dr- Malfoy and I were practicing spells in the Room of Requirement,” she began. “Getting to our wands quickly and such.” A sudden wave of fear came over her- she had left her wand in the Room of Requirement! Her eyes met Draco’s again, and he gently raised a hand to his chest, over his heart. She stared uncomprehendingly at him for a moment- was he indicating his heart? Suddenly, she realised what he meant and grinning, she reached into the inside coat pocket of her coat and felt the hardness of her wand.

“What happened?” she asked.

Ron shook his head and Harry bit his lip. In the end it was Hermione who answered. “It was the Death Eaters. They cast a spell over the castle… Dumbledore said it was a warning, and that we shouldn’t be afraid. The common room was a mess. We had all gone up there during break after lunch, and when the light disappeared it was chaos. People were screaming, our wands weren’t working, and the paintings kept coming up with these wild theories. One who had been in the Ravenclaw Common Room said that an army of Nerfles had taken over.” She exchanged a wry glance with Ginny. “Everyone was so worried about you- we thought you’d been kidnapped. Except Dumbledore, he kept saying over and over again that you were fine.”

A thought suddenly occurred to Ginny. “What about Malfoy?”

Hermione was puzzled. “What about him?”

“Well, he was missing too. Didn’t anyone care?”

“Oh, Pansy Parkinson was shrieking her head off as usual,” Harry snorted contemptuously. “But the other Slytherin’s looked like they were celebrating. They all love a change of power I guess… That boy, Blaise Zabini was strutting around, taking charge. I think he’d set himself out to be the next Prince of Slytherin. I think they were all hoping he’d been killed or kidnapped. Wish he had been actually, myself.”

Ginny felt a wave of sadness descend upon her. So no one cared about Draco, save her and Parkinson. Was he that mean? She glanced over at him; he was surrounded by a group of eager looking Slytherin’s, probably relating the whole story to him. She noticed that Zabini was practically groveling at his feet.

Ron, Harry and Hermione were still talking excitedly to each other and did not notice her catch Draco’s eye.

Miss you, she mouthed. His message back was easily deductible.

Want you. Meet me in the Room of Requirement tonight at seven.

She nodded, happiness engulfing her body. I can see him tonight, I can see him tonight! Her heart sang.

“I said, were you scared?” Ron repeated looking impatient.

“Oh. No not really,” she said, still returning to the present. “I mean yes, but I slept for a while and that stopped some of the fear, when you’re asleep I mean you don’t think much of darkness….” she trailed off, aware that she was still babbling.

She noticed Dumbledore, who was watching her with an amused glint in his eyes. She suddenly felt a tickling sensation in her mind. And there was suddenly a thought in her mind that was not hers.

I understand that you and Mr Malfoy have taken “united” to a new level.

Professor? Her thought was incredulous. But Snape-

Professor Snape.

Yes, him, he said that I had a natural shield!

Yes my dear, but you see I am rather more an accomplished Legilimens than Severus and Lord Voldermort.

So you can read my thoughts?

No, your shield is too strong for that. But I can converse with you in your mind. Ms Weasley, I advise you to be careful around Mr Malfoy. Are you sure about him?

I can’t believe I’m getting girl talk from the headmaster.
The thought popped unwanted into her mind and she watched as Dumbledore laughed softly.

Yes sir. I am.

Well I’m glad. But I warn you to be careful for this reason- he too is a Legilimens.

You’re kidding!

I assure you that I am deadly serious. He has not attempted to read your mind yet, for I can sense all who can but I must tell you this- he is stronger than me. Stronger than Severus, stronger than Tom, stronger than anyone I have ever met. That boy is destined for great- and terrible- things.

Why hasn’t he told me?

It is possible that he does not wish to alarm you.

Oh. Professor, if you cannot read my thoughts how do you know that Draco and I…?

The moment light returned to the castle I went and checked all the rooms for the safety of my students, including the Room of Requirement where I found you asleep in his arms. I gather that this would not have happened if you were ‘just friends’.


With this thought came a swift mental image of Ginny lying asleep in Draco’s arms, his lips resting on her cheek, her head resting on his chest.

Oh.

I shall leave your mind now Ms Weasley. But I also must inform you that you too have a sufficient Legilimens ability. Try and converse with Mr Malfoy like we are- I think that you are strong enough to get into his yet untrained mind. Do not attempt to read his thoughts as he might accidentally hurt you. Just speak with him.

Me too? Are you sure?

Positive. Oh, one last word Ms Weasley- if you wish this relationship to remain secret, I would advise that you don’t mouth words of…


He paused and Ginny thought she detected a mental chuckle.

I think you know what I mean… Across the Great Hall.

And he was gone. Ginny blinked, trying to take in all the information that the headmaster had given her. The trio had moved away were now having an earnest discussion with Ernie and Justin from Hufflepuff.

Closing her eyes, she imagined her mind as a silver rope, and cast it across to Draco Malfoy. To her surprise, it worked instantly and she seemed to flow into his mind easily. Suddenly, she was overwhelmed by his thoughts- thoughts mostly about her, images of her. She saw so many mental pictures…. Her standing on the cliff above the lake, hair fanning out in all directions, lips curved in a slight smile. Her kissing Harry on the stairs the other day, and she got a painful sense of hurt that came with the memory. There was an image of her lying asleep in his arms and one of…

Who are you?

The thought came so harshly and so painfully that Ginny winced, for this was the evil Draco Malfoy, the boy she had hated.

It’s Ginny.

Gin? What the hell are you doing in my… my head?

You didn’t tell me you were a Legilimens.

How did you know?

Dumbledore told me.

But you haven’t spoken to him.

I was talking to him like this. I don’t mind Draco, I think it’s great. I’m a Legilimens too, but nowhere near as strong as you.


There was a mental shrug.

So we can talk like this then?

Yes.

That’s great! Can we talk wherever we are?

I imagine so.

Did you get my message?

Yes. I can’t wait to see you.

We’ve only been separated for twenty minutes!

I miss you, still.


A smirk lifted his mouth and he nodded carelessly to something Pansy had said. Ginny felt an impulse to kiss the smirk.

What do you want to do with me?

You are too smug already without me answering that. What time is it?

Five in the afternoon.

Two hours till I see you.

Indeed. Don’t be late.

I won’t. Goodbye.

Goodbye.


She turned and began to make her way out of the Great Hall, when Harry spotted her.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m tired. I’m going to the common room.”

“Okay.”

Ginny left and quickly hurried up the stairs to the common room, sneaking into the girls dormitory. She rummaged through her trunk, despairing. “Do I have nothing nice to wear?” she said aloud despairingly. Then at the bottom of the trunk, she found a package wrapped in brown paper. Pulling it out, she found that a small note was attached.

To my dear Ginevra,

I enclose something that I hope you will find useful. You know of course that I got that raise at the ministry, and bought everyone a present, save you. You may have wondered why this was- it is because I doubt that your mother would be happy with the
(there was at this stage an ink blot as if the author had been wondering how to put the phrase) shape of this dress! Enjoy, my dear,

Your loving father.


Ginny unwrapped the package and pulled out a shimmering red gown, which flickered and changed from shade to shade in the light. Hastily stepping into it, she found that it was a perfect fit. She saw that indeed her mother would not have approved of the garment, for it was quite a low cut and clung to her curves beautifully.

She spent an hour and a half playing with her hair and face, deciding upon no cosmetics, but pulling her hair up into a bun with two red tendrils escaping to frame her face. She pulled a black coat over her outfit, and quickly made her way downstairs, hoping to go unnoticed.

Harry was unfortunately in the common room. “Ginny.” he swallowed. “You look… beautiful. Where are you going with your hair like that?”

“Er, a party, with Tara and the other sixth year girls,” she stammered. “You wouldn’t like it.” She left with Harry staring wistfully after her.

At a fast run (which was easily achievable as Ginevra Weasley refused to wear heels, instead settling on a pair of silk red flat slippers- obviously not the kind one would wear in winter) Ginny made her way to the Room of Requirement. Opening the door and realizing that she was fifteen minutes early, she was slightly surprised to see Draco already there. He was wearing a pair of black jeans and a white shirt, and Ginny suddenly felt a little silly- like she was overdressed.

“You’re early,” he said matter-of-factly as Ginny stood uncomfortably by the door.

“I- I didn’t want to be late.”

“Neither did I. Why are you wearing that coat? It’s not that cold.”

“Erm… Ron might have seen my dress.”

“How do you look?” Curiosity mingled in Draco’s usually indifferent tone.

“Like my mother hasn’t seen my outfit.”

He indulged in a soft chuckle, a rarity for a Malfoy. The fire cracked loudly and Ginny shyly shrugged off her coat, turning to hang it up on a useful rack that she had only just noticed. As she turned around, Draco’s hiss as he made a sharp intake of air made the risk of being caught by Ron worthwhile.

“Is there something wrong with my outfit?” she asked coyly, shyness slipping away.

“No.” He became very interested in a piece of slightly darker wallpaper.

“My face?” she whispered, slowly walking towards him. He shook his head emphatically. “Am I wearing too much make-up?” Her lips brushed against his ear and reluctantly he turned his head to meet her eyes.

“You’re not wearing make up.”

“I’m not the kind who does. Besides, I wouldn’t want your pretty lips to get smeared with cherry flavor.” Her eyes held his, daring him to never look away, to stand there just watching her for ever and ever. She had never realised Draco Malfoy would be so hesitant to kiss her.

Sadly, she broke his gaze, and crossed the room to sit on a couch. “I don’t understand you,” she said quietly.

“People rarely do.”

She continued as if she hadn’t heard his comment. “You spend half the time mouthing erotic messages across the room to me, and then when we’re actually finally alone, you ignore me.”

“I wouldn’t say I was ignoring you.” She was silent, ignoring the inconsequent remark. He sighed. “There are complications, Ginny.”

What? What can be complicated about this for you? Your father, yes, but is he in your pocket? Does he see everything you do? I’m willing to hide this from my best friends, from my family who I love with all my heart and you won’t even speak to me because of some guy that it doesn’t seem like you’re that fond of!”

“You wouldn’t understand.”

“Why don’t you try me? You know, maybe I was wrong about you. I thought we were friends Draco. Friends trust each other.”

“Well friends don’t exactly ‘mouth erotic messages’ either, Ginny!” he snapped.

“So we’re more than friends then! And you won’t even… even look at me. Do you like me, Draco?”

His mouth became suddenly dry. “God yes, Ginny.”

“So please… tell me why it’s complicated.”

“You won’t like it.”

“But it’s a two-way thing, Draco. You know, I know, okay?”

“Fine!” He exploded. She sat quietly and waited. “Can- can I sit with you?”

Ginny stared at him, once again yelling at him in her mind. He was annoying, this Draco Malfoy. Just as she’d placed him in a neat little box, he did something completely unexpected again. Now he looked like a small child, afraid of the dark. She nodded, and he went and pulled her close to him. She fitted neatly under his chin- he liked that.

“You have to understand that this might be a load of bollocks. I didn’t believe in it for ages- at least I said I didn’t believe in it, but I think it might be true. Might. I- I want to command my own fate, Ginny, but this doesn’t leave me much choice. Anyway, I’m confusing you.

“It’s a Malfoy tradition to have a Seer attend a new Malfoy’s birth. The woman who attended mine was one of the few left in the world who can willingly seek for a vision about someone whenever they want, without having to wait for the prediction to come upon them. Mine was an old Gypsy woman, she died when I was perhaps two.

“My father has drummed the prophecy into me for so many years… I know it inside out. It was… It was that,” he paused and considered before reciting the prophecy in a low voice, as fear crept over Ginny.

He will be the Achilles. He will die young and be forgotten by all but one. None shall mourn but one. He will do great things and die for the one he loves. To die he must first love… never let him love.

He waited, staring at her and then he saw the reaction that he wished would never come. Tears began to run down Ginny’s face, as the horror of the prophecy grew on her. Suddenly, she reached up and pulled his mouth down to hers, pushing herself against him as much as she could, wanting to blend into his smell and his taste and his mind forever. He took a moment but then returned the kiss tasting her salty tears as she wept and kissed him, in a never ceasing circle. They did not break away; instead breathing as well as they could through their noses. Somehow, she found herself lying on top of him with him holding her tight to him and their kiss never ending.

Finally he pulled his lips from hers; panting hard while she cried and he soothed her by simply looking into her eyes. She growled, sick of the awful weariness she saw in his eyes and again pressed her lips against his, pushing and blending and trying desperately to forget what he had told her.

“Ginny,” he murmured.

“I know.” she reluctantly sat up. “You’d better go.”

“What?” he was confused.

“We can’t do this Draco. Can’t… be together. Not with the prophecy.”

Draco drew in a deep, shuddering breath. “Damn it Ginny, I didn’t tell you so that we could break up! I told it because maybe… maybe it might be true and you deserved to know.”

“You think I could know the truth and still go out with you?” she cried. “I- what if we fell in love? And you died? I don’t want to be responsible for your death, Draco.”

“But what if it’s not true?”

“But we don’t know whether it’s true or not. We just… we can’t be, Draco.”

“I suppose you’ll go back to Potter now,” he snapped bitterly. She flinched.

“No. Never. I- I can’t explain it to you. Better that we just forget each other.”

“Fat chance with this other prophecy.”

“Yes, of course. Well, we have to fulfill that but… Gods Draco, I can’t think this through now. I’m staying here tonight.”

“I guess- I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” All the fight had left him; he was tired, dispirited and he felt a terrible urge to cry. But Malfoy’s did not cry, and he would not cry, he vowed.

“Tomorrow?”

“We have to do dueling practice with the Dream Team. Had you forgotten?”
“Yes, I- I suppose I did,” she didn’t know how she was having a normal conversation. Her mind, her brain, her body; they were all screaming for her too run to him and pretend it had been a joke. But her heart stopped her from it.

“Dumbledore arranged for us to meet here at seven o` clock. I’ll see you then.”

“Yes,” she managed faintly. He turned and began to walk away.

“Draco?” he stopped but did not turn around. Tears spilling down her cheeks, Ginny willed her voice to behave. “Do I- do I get a goodbye kiss?”

He turned and looked sadly at her, opening his arms. She dashed towards him, falling gratefully into his arms and crying and crying and crying. He kissed her gently and she could taste the sadness and the grief and the desperate longing. Then he let go of her, and left.

Ginny stood with tears falling watching the empty doorway. As she turned, some half hour later she saw a bed nestling gently in a corner. There was a pair of pajamas but Ginny didn’t bother with them. She closed the door, kicked off her shoes, slipped out of the beautiful gown and curled up under the quilt in her underwear. She fell asleep, the only thing caressing her cheeks being her own despairing tears.


Please nobody hurt me... *cowers* I know you probably all hate me, but she had to know, and Gin's not a bitch. And this is R-rated so it's your fault if you don't like me swearing!