Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Life of the Littlest Weasley by ronrocksmyworld

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Things are quiet around the house now that Fred and George are off living in Diagon Alley. We get an owl from them now and again, but they're really busy now with their shop (especially with all the students coming to buy Portable Swamps and Skiving Snackboxes, preparing for another year at school). Percy finally apologized to Mum and Dad, but he's still living in London. Bill and Fleur finally got married in June (I got to be a bridesmaid! It was so exciting!) Right now they're in Paris on their Honeymoon. Charlie is still in Romania with those dragons (I wonder what he's studying about them). As for Ron, well, he's just the same, I guess. He always wants to practice Quidditch in the backyard. But I suppose if I want a chance at being a Chaser next year, I should practice a bit.

As for me, well, I broke up with Dean last week. He was starting to get boring, really (all he ever talks about is that Muggle sport, Soccer, which, from what he tells me, sounds ridiculously boring). I haven't told Ron yet, but I'm sure he won't mind… it's not like I tell him everything that happens in my life (he's a little too overbearing and protective). He's always there for you when you need him, except, he's not the most sensitive of people. He still has that crush on Hermione. Well, he didn't exactly tell me this (I would be rather taken aback if he had, though), but I can tell, you know. Call it a Weasley instinct (an instinct which my clueless brother hasn't got). He should really ask her out one of these days…

Anyway, things seem to be a lot more tense now that You-Know-Who is "officially" back. The Ministry sacked Fudge for being a big fat git about You-Know-Who, but they haven't got a replacement yet, though people seem to be favoring Dumbledore (go figure). Naturally he turned it down; he's just going to stay Headmaster of Hogwarts. The Order seems to be working even harder than usual. I wish I could know what's going on with them. Fred and George have joined now that they're of age (mum wouldn't let them until after their birthday).

I'm really looking forward to next year (except for those blasted O.W.L.s). We get to learn more advanced stuff; though, I should be set for Defense Against the Dark Arts, thanks to the D.A. I wonder if Harry's going to continue it next year too. There's no real reason to, I suppose, since Umbridge has gone. But, you never know. Dumbledore might let us keep doing it. But anyway, I just want to get back to school. It's too boring here. Maybe I'll go visit Fred and George one of these days.

*~*~*~*~*

Sooner than you'd have guessed, we were back on the old Hogwarts Express. Harry, Ron, Hermione and I (having all been at our house for most of the summer) scrambled into an empty compartment with our luggage (which, for once, we weren't the last people to board the train, still searching for an empty one). Harry, Ron, and Hermione seemed to be conversing about something important. Harry was whispering to them, and Ron and Hermione looked rather somber. They always seem to whisper things to each other, as if they don't want me to hear. Too bad I left my Extendable Ear at home! I'll have to write Fred and George to see if they'll send me another one.

Later on the trip, Ron and Hermione (as prefects) left to patrol around the train. Luna wondered in dreamily and sat down next to Harry, who was staring pensively out the window.

Neville strayed in a little after that. He looked in tentatively, as though he wanted to make sure that we would allow him to come in to our compartment. I looked up at him and smiled, and he entered, and seated himself next to me.

"How has your summer been?" I asked him casually.

"Same as usual, I suppose," he replied. "Gran was a little upset when she found out I had broken my dad's wand at the Ministry, but she did seem like I had brought honor to the family name by fighting with Harry there. Something about avenging my parents' name, or something of the like."

There was a short pause. I didn't know what to say to this. I didn't know if I should congratulate him or not. It was kind of awkward. As I was going to say something, Ron and Hermione walked in again, bickering over something.

"—Ronald, I just don't know what—"

"Don't blame me, you started this," Ron said, defending himself.

"Me? I do recall that you were the one who—"

"Can you two ever stop arguing?" Harry said, petulantly.

"Sorry, Harry," said Hermione.

She and Ron both sat down, and said no more. Hermione grabbed one of her new books and hid herself behind it. Ron got up and left the compartment.

"So, er, Neville," I said, trying to break the silence, "What happened to that Mimbulus Mimbletonia of yours?"

"Oh. Well, it was getting rather big, so we had to plant it in the backyard. I wish I could have brought it to show you. It's absolutely spectacular."

We continued to talk about plants and Herbology. Harry and Luna seemed to be having a heartfelt conversation, and Hermione was still reading her book. Ron still hadn't returned.

"I'm thinking of studying magical plants after Hogwarts, but Gran wants me to become and Auror, like my parents…" Neville drifted off, thinking, no doubt, of his parents. I wanted to reach out to help him, to console him, but I couldn't think of what to do. I just sat there, looking drearily at him. He's an odd one, that Neville Longbottom, but couldn't help but feel terribly sorry for him. I looked at him fondly and smiled, and then looked at the floor. I'm not entirely sure what I was doing (or thinking). I didn't know what was going on, but I was beginning growing closer to someone who I'd never have thought of.