Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Those are our Choices... by Neli P

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Dear readers, THANKS for sharing my fantasies about H/G and R/H in this story. Your reviews mean a lot to me, you know that! :D :D.

And Thank You again, ma_raie, for your help and support in this chapter, in spite of your “Marauder’s crazy schedule” ;-).




*********




… Strike first and ask questions later …


Harry kept thinking about Moody’s advice, trotting through the long corridors of Hogwarts. He had to find Ginny, to tell her about his plans for the future, and chase off those clouds of sadness he had seen in her eyes.


Above his head, Peeves was whirling around the pillars, cackling a silly song about “a pumpkin loosing its broomstick”. Oblivious to the Poltergeist’s mad giggles, Harry ran out the main entrance. Although the music was still playing, Hogwarts’ gardens seemed slightly deserted at that time of the afternoon. A glance at the Quidditch pitch immediately informed Harry where the guests had gone. From afar, he could see players circling the air on their broomsticks, dodging Bludgers and passing the Quaffle with eagerness.


Ginny, however, had not joined the others in the pitch. Harry found her sitting under the giant oak, her head pillowed on the arms she had crossed over her knees. She cast him a miserable look when he sat beside her on the grass.


“Fred and George stole my broomstick!” Ginny informed him angrily. “I am sure they cast the Vanishing spell on it, and made sure no one could lend me one. So here I am, pinned to the ground.”

“The twins sometimes go too far with their jokes,” Harry admitted, “but they have never kept you out of a Quidditch game. Do you think they are holding … a grudge against you for something?” he asked, seizing the opportunity to bring on the subject he wanted to discuss.


Ginny glanced warily at him, and took a deep breath. The time of explanations had come, whether she wanted or not. She carefully avoided his gaze, and answered his question before loosing her last ounce of resolution.


“You guessed right, I’ve done something they did not like: I have resigned from Weasleys Wizards Wheezes. I have agreed to take the Charms teacher position at Hogwarts.”

“That’s great news, Gin!” Harry smiled broadly, acting surprised. “You are great with children, and your magic skills never ceased to impress me.”

“Thanks for the compliment,” Ginny replied with sadness. “I will start this September as Professor Flitwick’s assistant, so he can coach me on teaching techniques. I will stay at Hogwarts, and may have to spend some weekends here to prepare lessons.”

“What are you trying to tell me exactly?” Harry glanced at her.

“I try to tell you that we may not see each other for a while,” she said again in a huge effort to steady her voice. “I mean that while we are apart, you will have the time to focus on your career without me distracting you.”


Ginny shifted uneasily, clenching her fists to keep her hands from trembling. This conversation is pure torture, she told herself, hating to say what she had yet carefully prepared for days.


“Harry, I have been chasing you with my school girl crush for years,” she added in one breath. “Don’t you think you deserve some time off to … sort out your own priorities?”

“A school girl crush, you said?” Harry’s hands closed on her shoulders and gently turned her towards him. “Remember that night we faced Tom Riddle? You stood by me when we cast the Reversio Charm. It took something much stronger than a school girl crush to counter the hatred of the Avada Kedavra Curse. A spell never lies, Ginny. And neither can you!”

“You are right, I can’t lie!” Ginny’s tears shone in her feverish eyes. “I do love you, Harry, more than you know, and too much for my own good.”

“Then why did you try to get away?”


Ginny turned away, her tears clearly showed in her quivering voice.


“I tried to give you space to fulfill your dream. I can’t be the burden that holds you back from becoming the hero you ought to be. And I certainly don’t want to be a choice that you can’t make.”

“If I had ever dreamt to be a hero, I would have agreed to Moody’s offer to become Head of the Aurors’s Department.” Harry insisted on each word. “And if you think that I will let you stay alone at Hogwarts, and let the new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher have a try in charming you, you can think again, Weasley!”

“Honestly, Harry, are you out of your mind?” Ginny’s temper immediately raised a few notches as Harry’s scoop sank in. “If you think that Snape will …”

“Snape wants to go back to Potions. There will be a new teacher, and I bet you know him!”

“You are … terrible! Worst than my brothers, and that says something!”


Harry watched Ginny’s anger build up, and decided the game had gone on long enough. After all, she had told him what he wanted to hear: that her feelings for him had not changed. She had clearly tried to “give up on him” again, but this time, after all they had shared since their school years, it was much harder for her to deny the strong feelings they had for each other.


“I will be the next Defense against Dark Arts teacher, Ginny,” Harry said more seriously, looking deep into her eyes. “My resignation will be on Moody’s desk as soon as I get back to the Ministry. No more raids, or arrests, or front page for me. I am committed to fight the darks arts, but being an Auror is not the only way. I will teach young wizards to improve their skills against dark forces. And I count on the future Charms teacher to be my partner and help me on that task!”


Ginny was speechless. She was obviously dreaming, because every thing Harry just said was too good to be true. Nevertheless, she was touched by the sincere tone of his voice, and the way he was looking at her … She could swear there was nothing but true love in his eyes.


“My dream is to live for what I believe in.” Harry added. “I believe in the future, Gin, a future that would mean nothing if you are not with me.”

“Are you sure this is what you want, Harry?”

“Absolutely! And, please, help me out, will you? I am trying to propose here!”


That finally caught Ginny off guard. She turned to Harry, unable to utter a single word. Please, Ginny, say something … Harry pleaded silently as a sudden moment of panic cross his mind. Butterflies started fluttering in his stomach, and his mind raced helplessly. Perhaps …That must be it … He had not properly asked the question.


“No one completes me the way you do, Ginny,” he whispered. “And we have proved many times that together, we are an unbeatable team! So, will you take a chance and marry me?”


You bet I will take that chance, Potter! Ginny inhaled deeply as joy swept through her, liberating her from her last doubts. Without a word, she rose to her feet, followed by Harry, who closely watched every expression of her face. Slowly, her hands closed on his cheeks, then her fingers lovingly combed through his untidy hair.


“Checking where I keep my brain?” Harry asked playfully, although his heart was beating its way out of his chest.

“Don’t have to! I’d trust you with my life,” Ginny flashed him her sweetest smile.

“So … is that a Yes?”

“It definitely is!”


Harry swept Ginny in his arms, feeling dizzy as an indescribable joy took over him. He did not remember being that happy in his entire life; whether it was the first time he set foot on Platform 93/4, or when he mastered the Reversio Charm, or … No, Harry finally decided, the present moment was unique. Just like the woman he was holding close against him.


“Harry, Rita Skeeter is looking our direction.” Ginny warned him.

“Is she? Then let’s give her something to talk about!”


Harry made true to his word as he gave Ginny a long, passionate kiss that left her breathless. Vaguely, he heard Rita Skeeter’s shriek of triumph when her photograph captured the moment in his camera. Much to his own surprise, Harry no longer cared about what she might write about him.


“You will have a lot to clarify to the press, Mr. Potter.” Ginny told him when she found her voice again.

“I don’t care. You are with me now, and I can face anything, including a bunch of nosy reporters. So, Miss Weasley, should we set a date for your walk down the aisle?”

“A date? How about today?”

“Today? You can’t be serious! I don’t even have a ring…”

“Harry, I want a marriage, not a wedding, and the ring can definitely wait. Besides, I had always dreamt of a ceremony at Hogwarts, with my family and friends, who happen to be all present today. Unless you are not up to the challenge, of course.” Ginny added in a defiant tone.

“Okay, you’re on! Let’s go talk to your parents and see if Dumbledore can help us with this. Merlin, they will all think we are crazy!”

“I am crazy about you, Harry!” Ginny concluded sweetly, with a soft kiss on his lips before they went off spotting red heads in the crowd.


*********



Harry and Ginny’s new careers and the announcement of their surprise wedding were greeted with great enthusiasm by the Weasleys. Actually, Ginny had valiantly confirmed several times there was no particular reason to their urge to get official, so that Molly could finally stop glancing suspiciously at her daughter’s waistline. Contrary to their secret worries, Hermione and Ron were overjoyed to share their wedding day with their best friends, and had instantly accepted to serve as Best Man and Maid of Honor.


The only person who toned their project down a bit was Percy Weasley, for whom rules and laws had no secret.


“In accordance with article 27, paragraph 8 of the Matrimonial Laws,” Percy stated, “to bypass the required procedures and delay of the publication of the banns, your wedding must be vouched for by seven Official Upholders who must personally know, either the bride or the groom, for at least seven years.”

“What is an Official … thing?” Harry asked.

“Well, in accordance with article 18, paragraph 6 of Civil Laws,” Percy explained importantly, “an Official Upholder is a person whose profession contributes significantly to maintain and/or improve their fellow witches and wizards’ welfare. The list started naturally with Ministry Officials.”

“I would be pleased, Ginny, to vouch for you and your fiancé in my capacity as Secretary of the Internal Affairs’ Department,” Percy ceremoniously brought his hand to his chest.

“We will sign too!” Fred volunteered, as soon as Arthur and Ron had given their support to the wedding.

“We are professional spirit lifters!” George pointed out.

“Sorry, I clearly remember that the list does not include clowns!” Percy snapped back at them.

“But the list does include Healers and Teachers,” Hermione intervened, “and I heartedly support my best friends’ wedding.”

“So do I!” Hagrid stepped in. “Harry, Ginny, it’s obvious that yeh two belong tergether!”

“And count me in, too!” Mad-Eye Moody growled, limping in. “For the record, I will sign as an Auror … Suits me more than any Ministry’s title.”


Harry silently counted and came up with six vouchers. Just as he started thinking about other potential Official Upholders, a squeaky voice was heard among them.


“Dobby will sign for Harry Potter and his Wheezy, as a free elf.”


For a moment, every one was struck dumb by Dobby’s proposal. Then, a broad smile lit up Hermione’s features. She knelt down to shake the elf’s skinny hand.


“Dobby, you are absolutely brilliant!” she gasped with pride. “I am truly honored to befriend a free and precious contributor to wizards’ welfare.”

“Then it’s settled!” Arthur Weasley said brightly. “Now, who will be your master of ceremony?”


Harry headed toward Dumbledore who was in conversation with Severus Snape. The Headmaster smiled to him from afar as if he already knew what was coming, and Harry’s special request was immediately granted without reservation.


The news of Ginny and Harry’s wedding spread rapidly, and friends began gathering around them, surprised but delighted to witness a second wedding in the same day. Dumbledore watched them fondly before turning to Snape.


“I wonder, Severus, if you could help me performing the ceremony, by reading what you had beautifully written years ago…”

“Headmaster, you don’t mean …” Snape was astonished by the Headmaster’s strange request. “It was years ago … and I think it is not the moment, nor the place to read such silly things.”

“Please, Severus, I assure you today is the perfect occasion to read your poem, which is too beautiful to lie forgotten in a drawer.”


Thus the wedding songs started playing once more, and this time, the main characters had simply changed place at the altar. Ron now stood proudly behind Harry, his famous Weasley’s smile pinned on his face. They watched Hermione walk towards them, looking beautiful in a new dress robe. In spite of Hermione’s insistence, Ginny had decided to keep her blue gown to walk down the aisle. The new bride had simply added a few white roses in her hair, but Harry had the clear impression that her beauty just made every thing around her turn pale. And when Mr. Weasley finally placed Ginny’s hand in his, his heart was beating so fast that he could hardly breathe. He was barely aware that Dumbledore had already started his speech.


“Dear Ginny and Harry, allow me to speak from the heart. With a bright eye, Hogwarts watched his former students grow and meet their challenges in the most remarkable way. And today, it is with a glad heart that we witness your pledge of love to each other.

“For this special occasion, I would like to invite Professor Severus Snape to offer, on behalf of Hogwarts teachers and staff, our fondest wishes to both of you. Professor Snape, would you do us the honor of sharing your wonderful poem with us?”


Harry startled at the Headmaster’s demand. Merlin, all that Snape had said so far on behalf of Hogwarts teachers had been to take points from Gryffindor.


Meanwhile, Snape did not seem pleased by the idea either. Indeed, years ago, in another lifetime, a young woman had inspired him some strange feelings about love and marriage. He had secretly put them into words in a rare moment of foolishness; a short poem that he had intended to rip into pieces the day he watched her walk up the aisle beside another man. But somehow, he had kept it as a proof of how silly love could be. The only living soul to know about this poem was Dumbledore, who had just asked him to bare his soul in front of the entire school.


Nonetheless, Severus Snape was not a coward, and he will certainly prove it again today. Without a smile, the Potions master took out his wand, feeling a mean satisfaction as he saw the Weasley brothers discreetly reach for their own wands.


Accio ‘Formula of love’,” Snape muttered, and an old, yellowish roll of parchment was summoned from nowhere into his outstretched hand.


Snape slowly made his way to the front, and began reading from the parchment. His voice was deep and impressive, just like any of his students could remember, although his face was still inscrutable.


“The ‘formula of love’ must always include:

Some herbs and spice for fortitude;
A tablespoon of forgiveness;
A clove of loyalty;
A cup of faith;
And a sprig of honesty;
A pinch of patience;
A teaspoon of trust;
And a cup of friendship.
Mix all these herbs and spices well,
No other recipe could ever excel;
Add a Weasley and a Potter for proper effect,
Then brew the whole in two cups of respect.”



A few women gasped in awe, touched by the sweet words of the poem. As for Snape, he just rolled back his parchment, and walked stiffly back to his seat.


“Thank you, Professor,” Harry and Ginny both told him as he passed by.


But Snape did not care about the young couple’s gratitude. Nobody saw him clench his teeth behind his curtain of greasy black hair, for watching Harry Potter stand beside his red-haired bride did nothing to lighten his mood.


“Thank you, Professor Snape, your poem was indeed inspiring,” Dumbledore simply said before speaking to the bride and groom again.

“Ginny, Harry, the commitment you are about to take is a serious matter. Do you promise to be true to each other in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow? Do you promise to love and to honor each other from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?”

“I do,” they both answered in unison.

“Your commitment shall be made in love, kept in faith, lived in hope and eternally made anew. From now on, you will spend your life as husband and wife. May your joys be as bright as the morning, your years of happiness as numerous as the stars in the heavens, and your troubles but shadows that fade in the sunlight of love.
Mr. Potter, you may kiss the bride.”


Friends immediately started to cheer on the new couple. Arthur Weasley clapped
along with the guests, watching through blurry eyes his little girl rise on her tiptoes to kiss her husband. Blimey, he thought, as his heart squeezed painfully, it seemed only yesterday that he took her to Diagon Alley shopping for her first school books. That same little girl was now walking up the aisle, glowing with happiness, while her brothers Fred and George were pointing their wands, making waves of tiny flowers rain on the new bride and groom.


Like a sleepwalker, Arthur followed his wife and the other guests to the group of friends surrounding the new couple. Just as they approached, a flash of blue emerged from the cheering crowd, and Arthur saw his daughter coming toward them.


“I love you, Dad,” Ginny whispered to him, hugging him tightly, like she used to do every day he came home from work.

“You will always be my little treasure, Ginny,” Arthur replied. “It is your turn now to keep the magic going!”


Ginny hugged her mother before walking back to the boy he and Molly had come to love as a son. Arthur gulped down the knot of emotion in his throat when he saw his daughter squeeze Harry’s hand, the same way Molly’s hand was tightening over his at the same moment. That is the way life goes, he told himself with philosophy.


“Molly dear,” he confided to his wife, “I will no longer try to adopt Harry. We have now a child named Potter in the family.”


Soon, it was time for Ron and Hermione to leave for their honeymoon trip. They had chosen to disapparate into Greece, for Hermione had never been keen to fly long distance on a broomstick. They thanked the guests, said goodbye to families and friends, and tried to stretch some extra time with Ginny and Harry.


“Have a good trip, mate,” Harry said to Ron. “I still owe you a wedding present when you return.”

“Honestly, Harry,” Ron replied with a wolfish smile, sounding much like his newly wed wife. “You’ve given me the best gift ever: you just relieve me of an annoying baby sister. Believe me, I have waited twenty-four long years for that!”

“You will be okay, Ginny?” Hermione hugged her sister-in-law.

“I will be,” Ginny promised. “Enjoy your honeymoon, big sister.”


They reluctantly separated, and Harry wrapped a loving arm around Ginny’s shoulder. Hermione joined Ron as they waved once more at their friends.


“Hermione,” Ginny suddenly shouted over the cheers, “when you get there, don’t let Ron open any of your trunks!”

“What? Can’t hear you! What’s wrong with the trunks?” Hermione asked.


But Ginny was nowhere in sight. Fred and George just shoved themselves in front of their sister, waving Ron and Hermione off with a devilish broad smile on their faces.


*********



The night is slowly closing in, settling its velvet robe over Hogwarts grounds. Guests of the wedding had returned to their dormitories, exhausted after the long day of festivity, but enchanted by the emotions they had witnessed at the two weddings.


Alone for the first time since days, Harry and Ginny were lying side by side on the floor of the Astronomy tower, looking up the summer sky. They gazed fondly at the Dog Star that shone the brightest among the breathtaking sea of twinkling stars. Harry squeezed Ginny’s hand a little tighter. They were both certain, at this very moment, that their happiness was shared beyond this silky sky. It was one of these moments that one wished to stop the clock to make it last forever.


“I can’t believe we are married,” Harry whispered. “I am still surprised you did not want to have a proper wedding, be the only star of the day … you know, the sort of things that brides usually love to do.”

“It was a beautiful day and I will treasure every minute of it,” Ginny replied, inching closer to lay her head on her husband’s shoulder. “What about you, Mr. Potter?”

“I feel the same! But I had the impression every thing went too fast. I mean, I wish I could do something … to make it a memorable day for both of us.”

“Hey, you are absolutely right!” Ginny said brightly, “why don’t we do it again, just the two of us?”

“What do you mean ‘again’?”

“I did not say the proper wedding vows. Let’s do it now, Harry! If you have only one thing to remember from our wedding day, I want you to remember this next moment.”


In a wink Ginny was on her feet again, straightening her ice-blue dress. She took Harry’s hands, guiding him near the large window where they could stand under the bright moonlight.


“There are so many things I want to tell my husband on my wedding day,” she said softly, loosing herself in his bright green eyes, “so I will tell you now, to you alone, and may the stars be my witnesses.”

“Harry, I used to think that I was strong, that I could face anything alone. But every time I look at you, I just realize how wrong I was. You, alone, have the power to make my mind go empty, and my heart go wild. You, alone, can inspire my greatest magic, and the silliest Valentine poem a love struck girl could imagine. Every time I look at you, I feel deep in my soul that you are the half that makes me whole. So I will close my eyes, and surrender my heart to you. My love for you is innocent, tender, and true. And I promise to keep it alive, from now on until the end.”


Ginny’s eyes were shining with happiness. Harry smiled as he wiped a tear from her cheek. No matter what the future may hold for them, he knew for a fact that he would be invincible, as long as he had Ginny by his side. And her unconditional love for him would be his strength and his ultimate treasure.


“Ginny, you are the only one,” Harry replied tenderly, “that I will love for all my life. I will be the place where you run, when the walls are tumbling down; be the rock you lean on, when you can’t find solid ground. I will be your love and your friend, and all that is in between. I want to hear your secrets and your wildest dreams. I don’t want to change the world, for as long as you are mine, it’s more than enough just to be the man you love.”


They sealed their pledge of love under the stars with a long kiss neither of them wanted to end. Ginny was right, the moment they just lived would be carved in his memory forever. Harry will always remember how beautiful Ginny looked with her face alight with love and her hair flaming in the silver moonlight. He will not forget that he could see his own happiness in her sweet smile, and his future in her amber eyes.


Every thing is just … perfect! Harry smiled to himself. He was at Hogwarts, with the woman he loved by his side, and Defense against the Dark Arts to tackle in a few months.


This was the true feeling of coming home.


*********



Author’s Note:

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue…

In this chapter, I borrowed:

* The wonderful characters from J.K. Rowling, the real genius.

* The ‘Formula of Love” from Ara John Movsesian (the real title is “The recipe of Love” that I have changed a bit to suit Snape who, anyway, would never write something that romantic, don’t you agree?).

* Ginny and Harry’s vows from two beautiful songs: “Everytime I look at you” and “The man you love”.