Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Saved The Best For Last by Kimmi the werewolf

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own the characters of Harry Potter, nor do I own the song Saved The Best For Last so please give the owners of these two things their due.



Author’s Note: This may be a songfic but I prefer to write songfics where the song is just the background music and you can read the actual story both with and without reading the lyrics and have it still make sense, so even if you don’t like reading songfics I recommend you read this but just skip the lyrics because it still makes sense. The lyrics are in italics.



Summary: This is the story of how Hermione and Ron realised they were in love, saving the best for last.




Saved The Best For Last



Sometimes the snow comes down in June


Sometimes the sun goes round the moon



Hermione Granger was no ordinary girl. Since she was eleven years old she’s known that magic does exist and that she, herself is a witch. Most people say that she is the most talented witch of her age. She can do anything; make the impossible, possible… well almost anything.



I see the passion in your eyes


Sometimes it’s all a big surprise



Hermione had been in love with the same boy since she was eleven years old. She met him on the train to go to Hogwarts, the school she attended for seven years. She hadn’t fallen in love with him that first time she met him, in fact she hadn’t really liked him because he had been mean to her. But after he had saved her life, using a spell she’d helped him perfect, to club a troll over the head with its own club, she had fallen for him.



At first she had thought that it was just hero worship; that she had only fallen for him because he had saved her life, and that it would pass, but it soon became clear that that was not going to happen. He was such a good friend, always willing to stand up for those he loved. Once he had even tried to hex someone for calling her a Mudblood, the worse thing a witch like her could be called, but the spell had backfired on him and he had ended up being the one belching up slugs. She loved him for sticking up for her and loved him even more for belching up slugs.



Cause there was a time when all I did was wish


You’d tell me this was love



In her fourth year she’d tried to get over him. There was another boy who had liked her, an older boy from another school, a famous boy. That boy was Viktor Krum. She knew that she’d never be able to get over Ron soon enough though, but after seeing how Ron acted because of her association with Viktor she realised she could use it to her advantage. Even though it was not something she ever thought she’d do, she set out to make Ron jealous. She’d gone to the Yule Ball with Viktor and had been delighted to see Ron staring at her all night.



That night Ron had confronted her and they’d fought, like usual. She’d let it slip that she would have gone with him if he’d asked her first although later she’d realised that no one else realised that was what she’d meant. She had so been hoping that Ron would tell her he loved her too, she had been so sure that he did love her but he had never told her.



It’s not the way I hoped or how I planned


But somehow it’s enough



He may have told her he cared for her, but that was only as a friend. After her fourth year she had given up. She’d tried to be nicer to him, and had been unable to avoid blushing when hugging him, like when he’d been named the other prefect besides her in their fifth year. She had been sure that there was no chance that anything would ever happen with them…



And now we’re standing face to face


Isn’t this world a crazy place


Just when I thought our chance had passed


You go and save the best for last



And then they had fought in the final battle and left school.



All of the nights you came to me


When some silly girl had set you free



After the war they’d become famous. Hermione hadn’t really liked it and preferred to stay out of the limelight. She had stayed at Hogwarts and trained with Severus Snape, taking over his classes when he couldn’t work because of the after effects of too many Cruciatus Curses and eventually took over as Potions Mistress when he had retired, spending his days relaxing after so many years of stress. Both Harry and Ron had gone on to be Aurors and had both had a following of girls around them at all times.



After being so insecure when growing, always comparing himself to his older brothers and thinking he came up short, Ron was happy for all the attention. He took all the chances he could to date these girls, but the problem with dating his fans was that the novelty of dating the famous Ron Weasley would wear off once they realised that he was just a normal guy who had been involved in something extraordinary. Because she was one of his two best friends and because Harry was often busy raising the little family he had made with Ron’s sister Ginny, Ron always went to Hermione after a break up with one of his fame obsessed girlfriends.



You wondered how you’d make it through


I wondered what was wrong with you



After every break up, Ron acted as though it was the end of the world. He’d say he was done with women and even cry onto Hermione’s shoulder, claiming that he’d never get over the latest break up. Hermione could never understand why he acted this way. Those silly girls didn’t know what they were missing; they couldn’t possibly understand what they had done to this wonderful man.



Cause how could you give your love to someone else


And share your dreams with me



Once he was done crying over his break up, he would eventually turn to the future. He’d share his dream of wanting a family; he’d tell her that he’d never told anyone else just how much he wanted to be a father. Hermione could never understand how he could love someone else and not tell them what he told her. She couldn’t understand how he could tell her and not love her like that.



Sometimes the very thing you’re looking for


Is the one thing you can’t see



One night Ron had turned up at her doorway, crying his eyes out over his latest break up. She’d let him inside and tried to cheer him up, had listened to him pouring his heart out to her yet again. Everything he said to her made her love him more. After talking to her until his voice had grown hoarse he’d looked right at her and said that he wished he could have a relationship with a woman like the one he had with her. It had torn her heart in two.



She couldn’t understand why he couldn’t see that she’d be able to give him that relationship; that she was yearning to give him that relationship. He’d been looking right at her when he’d said it but it was obvious he wasn’t really seeing her, just like he hadn’t really seen her as a girl until their fourth year. Right then and there she’d made a Gryffindor vow to make him see her for what she was and what she could give him.



But now we’re standing face to face


Isn’t this world a crazy place


Just when I thought our chance had passed


You go and save the best for last



Hermione started planning a way to show him that she loved him and that she could make him happy. Everyday between her classes she came up with ways to make him fall in love with her; on the weekends she started making changes to herself, trying to make herself look prettier for him.



La dada dada dada



She really needn’t have bothered.



Sometimes the very thing you’re looking for


Is the one thing you can’t see



The next time she saw Ron she looked like a totally different woman. She’d straightened her hair, put makeup on and wore more flattering robes. The reaction from Ron wasn’t the one she’d been expecting. Instead of seeing her as beautiful, as a woman instead of a girl, he balked. He’d asked what she’d done to herself and it had not at all been what she had been wanting. Her heart had once again broken.



Later that night, Ron had approached her and asked her why she had changed herself. Without even waiting for an answer he had started rant about what she had done. He said he liked her hair bushy and her look natural, he said he liked the way she didn’t care what she looked like and didn’t give a damn what anyone else thought. Her world had been completely shattered when he told her that he thought she was beautiful with her bushy hair and said that that was the Hermione he had fallen in love with. She had been completely shocked at this revelation. He told her he had loved her since he had first met her, that the reason she was the first person he turned to when something went wrong was that he loved her.



How had she not seen it? How had he not seen that she loved him too?



Sometimes the snow comes down in June


Sometimes the sun goes round the moon


Just when I thought our chance had passed


You go and save the best for last



After that moment they had had a whirlwind romance. They skipped a lot of the early relationship stuff, the getting-to-know-you stuff as they already knew everything about each other. In a month they were seeing each other, in two they were living together and in three they were engaged. Two months after their engagement they found out that Hermione was pregnant. Finally, their dreams of starting a family were going to be realised.



You went and saved the best



As they were standing across from each other, reciting their wedding vows, one sentiment was shared by all.



For last



They had definitely saved the best for last.



* * * * * * * * * * * * *



Author’s Note: Thank you for reading my story. I hope you liked it but even if you didn’t could you please leave me a review because either way I’d love to hear what you think of my story.