Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love's Embrace by mspadfoot89

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
AN: Many thanks go to my beta Ron Weasley for helping me out with this chapter.

I'm only saying this once: I own none of the characters, they belong to J.K.Rowling. Anything else you recognise, isn't mine either.






PART 1





Chapter 1: Indescribable Feelings

Harry Potter watched as the fire in the common room flickered with a comforting light and warmth—warmth he so desperately needed. Midnight had long since ticked by, and he was the only one in the Gryffindor common room. Which was fine just as well. He had wanted to be alone for quite some time. He started his seventh year only a week ago, but ever since he’d come to Hogwarts he hadn’t been feeling very well, which was unusual because he had thought that only Hogwarts could bring his spirits up. He’d clearly been wrong. Watching everyone around him talking about Voldemort, about the Final Battle, about their chances of winning, they were not exactly what he’d consider cheerful topics. Besides that, there were always the people that pointed him out, whispered and thought that only he—the magnificent Harry Potter—could save them. Harry let out a bitter laugh. How ironic it was that these people were right without them even knowing it. Harry was the chosen one and had been since he’d been born. He was the only one who had any real chance of defeating Voldemort. But the Dark Lord had been back for two years now, and even though he’d tried with almost every power he had to kill Harry, so far he hadn’t succeeded.

Looking up, Harry saw that the fire was dying out—almost like his hopes were. He didn’t know why this was affecting him so strongly just now. Probably because he was thinking that if he didn’t succeed in killing Voldemort the whole Wizard community was doomed to eternal hell. Not the responsibility your average seventeen-year-old would have.

Harry sighed. He wished someone would give him advice. Not someone like Dumbledore, who seemed to stress over the fact that Harry had many chances of winning because of this unknown power he had, but never actually dwelled long on what would happen if he were to lose. He didn’t dwell on it with Harry anyway. Harry didn’t know Dumbledore spent many sleepless nights making up plans for his protection. Harry didn’t need Ron’s advice because all he would do was give out that odd squeal of fright even just at the mentioning of Voldemort’s name. He didn’t need Lupin there with him, because ever since his best friend’s death, Lupin had become quieter and a lot more pensive. No. What Harry needed was Sirius. The only person he had ever regarded as more than just a friend, as more than just a brother, but a father. Only Sirius had been able to help him out when he was in a tight spot. Only Sirius had ever truly understood him—and maybe Hermione had gotten pretty close. Harry wiped his eyes on his sleeve, and repeated the promise he had made to himself so many times before. He would kill Bellatrix Lestrange or he would die trying.

Harry turned around quickly as he heard a noise behind him. He saw it was Hermione coming down the steps to the girls’ dormitories, pulling her dressing gown on and carrying a struggling Crookshanks in her arms. She seemed lost in thoughts as she made her way to the fireplace. She was so deep in her thoughts, she didn’t even notice Harry lying on the couch, and jumped when Harry cleared his throat to announce his presence.

“Harry, you scared the living lights out of me!” she exclaimed putting her hand over her heart. She dropped Crookshanks and sat on the couch next to Harry.

“Couldn’t sleep,” he said quietly. “How about you?”

“Well, you know, lots of things going on. I find it amazing for people to actually stay calm these days, you know?” Hermione talked and yet her mind seemed to be somewhere else.

Harry did know what she meant. But then again, no one was calm anymore. Everyone was scared that something might happen. They lived in everlasting fear that the day they dreaded would come soon. Harry, of course, had a lot on his plate right now, but Hermione had no less. Sure, she didn’t have to worry about saving the world, but there was something that she had to worry about. Even though she was safe at Hogwarts—or as safe as a person could be these days—her parents weren’t safe. They were Muggles living in a Muggle-town and nothing and no one would stop the Death Eaters going after them. Hadn’t there already been a lot of Muggle-raids? The odds of Hermione’s parents being attacked weren’t that high but…Hermione shuddered as she thought about Malfoy. Would he hate her so much as to send his father and the rest of the Death Eaters after her parents? Hermione shivered again as she wrapped her arms around herself.

Meanwhile, Harry had been watching her. He knew very well what she was worried about and he wanted to let her know that he would do everything in his power to make sure her parents would be okay. No, to make sure everyone’s parents were okay. And even as he watched her, an indescribable feeling rose inside him. Something he had never felt before. He wasn’t quite able to put his finger on it, but he thought that the feeling was giving him hope. He watched her and the way her hair tumbled about her shoulders in soft curls, reflecting the fire light, and Harry found himself being mesmerised by the many shades her hair seemed to take…

“Harry?” Hermione asked tentatively.

“Hm?” Harry was pulled back to Earth by Hermione’s voice.

“I just wanted to tell you … I mean … well … I don’t know exactly how to say this … but … um … you know Anthony Goldstein?” she finally blurted out.

“The guy in Ravenclaw? Yeah, why?” Harry sat up straighter, now really interested on what Hermione had to say. Why would she want to talk about Goldstein?

“Well, we sort of … we’re like … we’re going out,” she finished some what lamely.

Harry felt his mouth hang open. This guy certainly didn’t waste any time. They’d only been back at Hogwarts for a week. Harry thought back at the last time he’d seen Goldstein. He hadn’t left much of an impression on Harry. He was good-looking though, with his black, wavy hair and deep brown eyes. He was quite tall too, almost as tall as Ron.

“He said he’s fancied me for ages, but never had the courage … We’ve been going out since this summer. I found out he lives near my place as well. Well, what do you think?” she prompted.

Harry thought and thought some more.

“Do you really like him?” he finally asked.

Hermione blushed a pretty shade of rose.

“Yes, I think so. A little bit.”

“Then you should go out with him if he makes you happy. God knows, we need more amusement around here,” Harry said, trying to change the subject. Something had formed in his stomach, like a knot, but he didn’t understand why.

“You’re okay with it?” Hermione asked timidly.

“Why shouldn’t I be? If you’re happy…” he cut himself off.

“Okay, thanks.” Hermione managed a smile. “I’ll just have to tell Ron tomorrow. I wonder how he’ll take it?”

They sat in silence for a while. It was true that Anthony had liked Hermione for quite some time and that Hermione did feel good about having someone like her. So she said yes. But there was something holding her back slightly. She didn’t know what. This little voice inside her that said… She shook her head. She deserved to have fun. She told herself over and over that it wasn’t worth constantly worrying about her mum and dad. They’d be fine. Unwanted, the thought of her parents came back to her and a haunted look was noticeable in her eyes. How she wanted to see them… Harry sat thinking as well. Now he had something else to worry about. Well, not exactly worry. As far as he knew—and he didn’t know much—Goldstein was a good guy, but if he dared hurt Hermione in any way whatsoever he would have Harry and Ron to answer to. He did think that Hermione would have been safer with someone they knew better, but hey, who was he to judge?

So that’s how they spent their night; each one deep in their own thoughts, occasionally thinking about each other, occasionally talking to each other, until sleep overcame them at last. Hermione fell asleep first, and put her head on Harry’s shoulder as her eyelids began to drop. Not exactly knowing what to do, Harry simply put his hand over her shoulder as they fell asleep. Two people in need of comfort, lying in each others arms, not realising that they were safe in each other’s presence like they would never be in anyone else’s.

The fire had now completely died out and only wisps of smoke remained.


A/N: For disclaimers look at personal info...