Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love's Embrace by mspadfoot89

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Again, many thanks to my beta, Ron Weasley.

Hope you enjoy!




Chapter 2: A Saturday of Freedom

“Harry, mate, have you been down here all night?” Ron exclaimed looking down at Harry.

Harry awoke with a start. He looked around, not realising where he was or why he was there. Then the night’s events came back to him. He slowly sat up on the couch and rubbed his neck. He had a headache from sleeping on the hard couch all night. Looking around, he saw that Hermione was not anywhere in sight. She’d probably gotten up early. There’s something important involving her I should remember, Harry thought. He felt like he had a bad hangover. Goldstein. Right, now I remember. Something of his thoughts must have showed in his face, because Ron was looking down at him with a puzzled expression on his face.

“You all right?” he asked again.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. Must have fallen asleep. You know,” answered Harry as he got up and stretched.

“At least its Saturday today,” Ron noted with a wide grin spreading over his face. “It’s been such a hard week. All those NEWT classes.”

“At least we don’t have Divination anymore. Though Potions is bad enough for both of them,” Harry said.

He still hated Potions class, and Snape had never been in a worst temper with him, Ron, and everyone else for that matter. Truthfully, Harry, Ron, and three quarters of the class shouldn’t have gotten in Potions at all. However, due to a rule by Professor Dumbledore, everyone that had gotten an Exceeds Expectations Owl had the right to take the NEWT Potions class. Dumbledore’s reasoning for that was that they needed as much help as they could get from their students for the Final Battle, and Potions was a very important class for knowledge.

Harry sighed and went upstairs to shower and dress while Ron sat down in the common room waiting for Hermione to come”and come she did. Brightly bouncing down the steps, she went into the common room, her smile as bright as can be.

“What’re you so happy about?” Ron asked suspiciously.

Hermione wasted no time telling Ron her news, and he took it a lot better than she’d expected. Then again, Ron didn’t fancy Hermione anymore, but there was still something lingering from their short romance from the previous year. They had broken up on a friendly note, saying that things couldn’t work out between them since they were both too stubborn, but since then Ron had always looked out for her best interests. Now he was thinking that Anthony was definitely not what she needed.

“Does Harry know about this?” he asked with a rather annoyed look on his face.

“Yes, I told him yesterday. He took it quite well. Although he was rather quieter than usual,” Hermione shrugged.

Ron raised his eyebrow.

“He couldn’t sleep, so I came down and kept him company,” she said again with an offhand sort of voice.

Ron raised his other eyebrow. There was something more going on here, and if he could find out what it was, he certainly would.

Just then, Harry himself came out of the boys’ dormitories, his hair extremely wet.

“Too lazy to dry my hair,” he replied in answer to their silent question. “So, what’s the topic of the day today?” he asked, smiling, though the last thing he felt like doing was smiling.

Hermione blushed.

“I don’t really want to talk about it, but if you must know, I have a date today.”

Ha, left them speechless, she thought smiling inwardly at the guys’ stunned expressions.

“That was quick,” Ron said, voicing what Harry was thinking. “Hey, Harry,” he said, turning towards Harry, now that Hermione had bid them goodbye and had started walking up her dormitory, “how about we fly around a bit today? We could get Madam Hooch to supervise us. She’d do anything for you.”

Harry smiled. Yes, flying on his Firebolt was just what he needed. To get his mind off things, to just be on the pitch again.

The weather was fabulous. It couldn’t be more perfect. The sky was an exhilarating blue; not a cloud was visible. The light breeze reminded the boys that this could very well be the last chance they got this year of flying.

“And Hermione can’t possibly blame us for not studying. She’s not going to as well.” Ron grinned. The idea that Hermione was not going to tell them off for not studying was truly relaxing.

Harry nodded.

“Let’s go get some breakfast,” he said getting up.

***


Hermione went to find Ginny before going to her own room. She couldn’t wait to tell her that Harry had approved. Not that it would’ve mattered, but he was her best friend and if he’d been against it, she wouldn’t have felt the same. All of a sudden her thoughts went back to Harry, and she saw his face so clearly, but he seemed disappointed in her. His piercingly green eyes looked at her and there was something in them she couldn’t understand. Yes, that was just how he’d looked when she told him about Anthony. Shaking her head slightly, she told herself she must have been daydreaming. Spotting Ginny, she yelled at her to come over. Hermione told Ginny that she needed an outfit for her date, and Ginny’s eyes immediately shone with a kind of feverish light. Hermione had hit her weak spot”clothes.

They went down to Hermione’s deserted room”Lavender and Parvati were out. Trying to pick out the right outfit, though, proved to be difficult. Hermione wanted something casual since they were only going to be walking around, and then they would sit at their favourite spot by the lake and if it got late enough look at the stars.

“Ok, try this,” Ginny said, pushing an outfit into her hands. Tight jeans and a simple low-cut, white shirt. Hermione tried it.

“Nah,” she said as she looked at herself in the mirror. Ginny tossed her a really short mini and a tight, pink tube top.

“Ginny, it’s against school rules! And I’ll look like a whore! ” Hermione exclaimed.

“Sometimes that’s the best thing, isn’t it?” Ginny said lowering and raising her eyebrows. Hermione threw a pillow at her, and they began a pillow-fight.

“I suppose that’s how you snatched Lee then, isn’t it?” Hermione gasped, trying to breathe properly. Ginny was wrestling her to the ground, and had put a pillow over her face.

“I’ll have you know that George was responsible for that!” Ginny laughed and threw a couple of more pillows at Hermione.

George had known Lee had a crush on Ginny for quite some time, and being completely different from Ron, he’d only helped them out a little. Not that Ginny needed his help.

“Speaking of George,” Hermione said picking up the pillows and replacing them on the bed, “do you know why he was so happy last time we saw him? It didn’t have to do with Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes, did it?”

“No, not at all. Apparently he convinced this girl he fancied to go out with him. We still don’t know who it is. Though I highly suspect it’s Katie Bell.”

“Really? Good for him,” Hermione said. Ginny was bending down to pick up the last pillow when Hermione hit her again over the head. She did not like losing her battles.

After they’d finally calmed down once more, they went back to outfit picking. After much looking, screaming, and punching each other, they found the right thing. Hermione wore jeans and a light blue, sleeveless turtleneck. Hermione tied her curly hair in a simple ponytail and went to say goodbye to Harry and Ron.

***


She entered the boys’ dormitory without knocking, but found it empty. Guessing they were probably in the Quidditch pitch, she looked out the window. Sure enough, there they were, Madam Hooch just visible in the topmost row. Hermione went outside. She’d been picking clothes with Ginny for a long time. As she stepped on the pitch she saw that the sky was now beginning to turn orangey-red, and she was left momentarily breathless. This was her favourite time of the day. Sunset. She watched as the sky changed colours thinking about everything she’d ever been through. Finally, as twinkling little stars started to appear in the sky, she took a deep breath and jerked herself out of her trance. She didn’t want to be late.

Hermione looked up at her two best friends joking around on their broomsticks. She watched as Harry made spectacular moves up in the air, and thought that if anyone could play Quidditch like Harry, then it would easily become her favourite sport. Overhead, Harry spotted her, and dived straight at her. For a moment, Hermione thought Harry was going to run her over, but at the very last minute he pulled away, only grazing her cheek with his finger. She stared after him, amazed. How could he do that? After a couple of spins, he landed softly right next to her. There was a look in him she hadn’t seen in so long. His eyes were alit with a new kind of light, and he was smiling.

That smile, Hermione thought. How long has it been since I’ve last seen that smile?

Quidditch had been cancelled due to Voldemort’s return. The only thing they had now was an occasional broomstick ride, always supervised by a teacher. It seemed Voldemort was getting rid of everything that made Harry happy. Hermione would have given anything to have her best friend up and smiling again. Laughing at Ron’s jokes, threatening Malfoy, and making fun of Trelawney were things of the past. Harry had been just quiet for a long time.

Ever since Sirius’ death, Hermione thought. There was a sad look in his eyes now. Like any moment of his life could be his last.

Hermione was jerked out of her thoughts as she heard Harry laugh.

“Why all dressed up Hermione?” he asked, playfully punching her on the arm.

“What, you already forgot about her date?” Ron answered for her.

“I just came to say goodbye,” she said. She started walking away as she realised she was late. “Well, bye!”

“Don’t worry, we won’t wait up!” Ron yelled behind her. She heard laughter as the two guys got back on their brooms.

Hermione sighed. She just couldn’t wait for this to be over, and then, they’d all live happily with only the usual problems to occupy their minds, because there was no doubt in Hermione’s mind how it would all end. Smart witch though she was, she didn’t realise that even though Harry was powerful, Voldemort was much more so. She didn’t realise that Harry’s chance of winning against him was not that good. Her heart was thinking, and her mind was not.

Hermione sighed again as she wrapped her arms around herself. It was getting a little chilly. She wished she’d brought a sweater. As she neared the lake she looked up from the grass and saw him. All of her fears and problems seemed to disappear. Anthony Goldstein was leaning against a tree keeping a lookout for her. His face brightened as he saw her walking towards him.

Reaching out, he took her small hands into his, and smiling broadly he said, “What kept you?”

She just leaned her head against his chest feeling the beat of his heart. She felt safe. She was safe. She knew that as he ran his finger through her ponytail.

“Come on, let’s go,” he whispered in her ear.

She pulled away slightly. “Where?” she asked. “I thought we were just going to walk around.”

“Well, let’s just put it this way,” he answered. Taking her hand, he led her around the tree he’d been leaning on, “we’ll have time to do that later.”

Hermione gasped as she saw what he’d prepared for her. In front of her lay a red and white chequered cloth with everything from chocolate chip cookies to croissants to little cups of pumpkin juice.

They sat down, talked, ate, and then they talked some more. Anthony wasn’t what you’d call the perfect listener and Hermione knew that. She found that most of the time he didn’t understand what she was talking about. It was much like talking to Ron. She smiled to herself. But he was sweet enough. Not to mention he’d spent two solid weeks trying to get her to go out with him. He sure knew how to be persuasive. She’d said yes after a short while, and even though you couldn’t call him perfect”no one was perfect”the interest Anthony was taking in her, made Hermione feel special. There was also the fact that she thought no man would really want her. Victor had broken up with her for no reason, and that had left her feeling hurt. Ron had been okay though, and now…she really hoped Anthony would be good for her. She needed to restore her belief in love”and in herself. As smart as she was, Hermione often forgot that a little self-esteem was just what she was missing, and nothing else.

Having finished their picnic, both Hermione and Anthony turned to each other for comfort. The talk was dying out now since neither one had much to say. Hermione leaned against his body as he ran a hand up and down her back. With his other hand he tilted her chin slightly and kissed her softly on the lips. His hand took hold of her elastic band, and he let her hair go free. As the kisses got steamier, Anthony left her mouth and started kissing her neck. He ran his hand up Hermione’s thigh, only to have it stopped by her. She pushed his hand away, and pulled away.

“No, Anthony, not like this,” she said with a little bit of breathing difficulty.

Anthony just stretched and placed his hands under his head as he leaned against the tree.

“Like what, ‘Mione?” he asked her, looking around. Hermione followed his gaze and realised he had a point. There was on one else around, the stars were twinkling overhead, and everything looked like it had come out of a romance novel.

“I have told you a thousand times not to call me ‘Mione. Just like I keep telling you every time I see you, I’m not ready.”

He just sighed.

“All right, that’s cool,” he said. He moved closer and kissed her lightly on the lips. “You’d better go now. Your friends will be wondering why you’re taking so long to get back. And if Filch finds you…”

She nodded and smiled. He seemed okay with it all, but as she said goodbye to him, she couldn’t help but notice a new kind of look in his eyes. She shook the thought away as she walked back to the castle. Everything was good. If only she didn’t have to end every evening the way she’d just ended this one.

Hermione opened the door and slowly crept up to Gryffindor Tower. It had sure gotten late. She was surprised to find not only Ginny waiting for her, but Harry and Ron as well. They were in front of the fire and obviously in some deep discussion about what form Luna’s Animagus would take.

“I think she’d be one of those weird animals with those weird shells. You know the ones,” Ron said, trying to explain with his hands as well. Everyone just looked at him blankly.

“Crabs, Ron?” Ginny asked raising her eyebrows.

“No!”

“I think she’d be a Crumple-Horned Snorkack,” Harry said matter-of-factly. They all started laughing.

Then they suddenly noticed Hermione was listening to their conversation and stopped. Everyone looked at her as though they were expecting her to talk.

“What?” she asked as she sat down next to Ginny on the rug. She looked into the fire, not seeing it at all.

“Well, what happened?” Ginny asked.

“The usual,” Hermione replied smiling. Although Anthony’s behaviour was a little tiring, she couldn’t deny she felt sort of…well, she didn’t know.

At that point Ginny dragged Hermione upstairs to her room, leaving Harry and Ron slightly open-mouthed.