Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Rogue Auror by Oddish

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 6 - Picking Up the Pieces

CASE RESULT: Grayson vs. Wizengamot

JUSTICE PRESIDING: Dionysus Filch

CHARGES AND RESULTS
Defendant was tried by a jury of 39 witches and wizards. At least a three-fourths majority must vote to convict on each of the specifications for the charge to stand. No hung juries are possible, and no appeals are allowed.

1. First Degree Unforgiveable Curse Use: Delibrate and premeditated use of the Imperius, Cruciatus, or Killing Curse.
To Convict: 0 --- To Acquit: 39
Verdict: CLEARED

2. Second Degree Unforgivable Curse Use: Deliberate but spontaneous use of the Imperius, Cruciatus, or Killing Curse, or premeditated use of the same with mitigating circumstances.
To Convict: 8 --- To Acquit: 31
Verdict: CLEARED

3. Third Degree Unforgivable Curse Use: Deliberate but spontaneous use of the Imperius, Cruciatus, or Killing Curse, with mitigating circumstances.
To Convict: 39 --- To Acquit: 0
Verdict: CONVICTED

4. Magically Assaulting a Muggle: Use of magic to delibrately cause a muggle to suffer physical or emotional harm.
To Convict: 39 --- To Acquit: 0
Verdict: CONVICTED

5. Trespass on Muggle Grounds: Proceeding onto muggle private property without an invitation, without just cause.
To Convict: 35 --- To Acquit: 4
Verdict: CONVICTED

6. Willful Violation of Statutes of Secrecy: Any actions that might risk exposing the existence of the magical world to uninitiated muggles.
To Convict: 22 --- To Acquit: 17
Verdict: CLEARED

RECOMMENDED SENTENCING GUIDELINES
Charge 3: 12-30 months imprisonment, 5000 galleon fine
Charge 4: 6-12 months imprisonment, 2500 galleon fine
Charge 5: 30 days imprisonment, 500 galleon fine

SENTENCE: Recommended sentence is 12-30 months in Azkaban, plus a minimum 5000-galleon fine (sentences for lesser charges will run concurrent with primary charge). Due to requests for clemency and other mitigating circumstances, the Defendant is sentenced to time already served (4 months, 11 days), plus a 1000-galleon fine.

In addition, the Defendant is sentenced to 12 months in Azkaban, sentence suspended. Should he be convicted of any felonious act in the ensuing ten years, this sentence shall be served in addition to whatever other punishment is decreed.

Finally, the Defendant is permanently barred from serving as an Auror, or in any other aspect of Magical Law Enforcement, anywhere in the U.K.
...............................................................................

Ulysses Grayson breathed deeply the fresh air of freedom and thanked his Creator for it. Four months with Dementors breathing down his neck had aged him, wearied him, and yet taught him the true depths of his own inner strength. He hoped his next lesson was less painful.

His P-51, which he had christened the Flying Badger, was fully loaded, with everything he had that had not been sold to pay his fine. The bright yellow fighter plane was the only thing of value that he still owned. Its cargo consisted pretty much of clothes, books, and knicknacks. He just had one stop before he apparated out to it, and he still didn’t know what he was going to do there.

He blinked into existence atop the roof of Arabella Figg. Eight feet below him, Kingsley was now keeping the depressing vigil, guarding against Voldemort. Even though the blood-powered magic that Dumbledore had instituted was supposedly impenetrable against anyone who wished to seriously harm the child.

Grayson crouched down. He was dressed all in black, but not invisible; the cloak he had used, like his broom, had been ministry property. And he, of course, was no longer employed by the ministry. He stared across the street at the dark bulk of #4. It would be so easy, he thought. Materialize in Harry’s bedroom, scoop him up, and then disapparate. One couldn’t take another adult along when apparating, but it was possible to take a small toddler, if you were competent at it. They would appear next to the Badger. The little fighter plane was fully fueled and ready to go, and its excellent British-made Merlin engine could get it up to 450 mph in a pinch. By the time Harry’s absence was detected, they would be long gone, with a whole planet full of hiding places to choose from.

The Aurors might search, but Grayson knew how they operated, and could evade them with reasonable ease. Voldemort or his death-eaters might give chase, but Grayson knew most of the tricks a wizard could use to make himself untraceable. And while both sides diddled around searching for him, Grayson would continue to do what had been his obsession since before he even started at Hogwarts, to fashion himself into the ultimate warrior/wizard, learning swordplay and empty-handed fighting along with magical combat. By the time Voldemort found him, if he ever did, he would be ready.

It would be so easy. And yet. ...

... many things held him back. Part of it was the disgrace to his good name. A larger part was the disgrace to his family. Also significant was the knowledge that even after eight years in exile, after he deposited the boy on the front steps of Hogwarts, his run would not end. As a wizard, he could expect to see a century easily. A long time to live in the dark. And what if he couldn’t be the loving parent that Harry needed? What if a life with him was just as damaging to the boy as a life with his awful relatives?

When the Sorting Hat had been placed on his head, some fifteen years before, it had seen into Grayson’s head. And it had not been fooled by what most people saw as bravery, but was in fact a simple lack of fear. Ulysses Grayson did not back away from danger because he wasn’t afraid to die. But there were things he was afraid of, and those fears had far more power over him than he liked to admit. Maybe that was why he got on so well with Estella. Most women saw only the warrior he was on the outside. She understood his weaknesses and complexities, and valued him in spite of them.

Was he making a sound decision, or was he being afraid? Was he motivated by wisdom, or simple cowardice? Were his reasons valid, or was he only rationalizing his chickenheartedness? He knew that he would ponder these questions for many years. But right or wrong, he made his decision. He could only hope and pray that it was the right one.

He was not stupid enough to apparate inside the Dursley house. Until he left British soil, they would be tracking him: It was not exactly legal, but it was done all the same. It was known that criminals, upon their release, often sought revenge against those responsible for their imprisonment. The practice of quietly monitoring them had saved quite a few innocent lives. And while trespassing was a misdemeanor, if he was caught at the Dursley house, they might just decide to stick him with the extra year anyway. If he never saw a Dementor again, it would be too soon.

Instead, he simply dropped eight feet of altitude, rematerializing in Mrs. Figg’s kitchen. “Howdy,” he said.

Kingsley stood up. “Whatever you’re going to do, mate, don’t. He’s not worth it.”

Grayson laughed at that. “Relax, Kingsley,” he said. “If that had been my intention, do you think I would have showed up here? I just came to say good-bye to a friend. I hope we are still friends.”

“Of course we are.”

“And there is one more thing, but obviously it would be a bad idea for me to do it.” He quickly explained what he wanted done, and showed him the single item he had brought.

Kingsley grinned despite himself. “It’s not a bad thought, but you know I talked to him already, right?”

“Yes. But I want to make sure he gets the message.”

The older Auror considered, then reluctantly nodded assent. “All right. I’ll take care of it.” A pause. “Where are you heading, anyway?”

“Western U.S. An old friend offered me a job there.”

“Well, best of luck to you.” Being exceedingly manly best mates, they shook hands instead of embracing. “Will you be back?”

“Of course. I’ll be off during summers and at Christmas. You’ll probably see me around.” He checked his watch. “I guess I better go.”

“All right, then,” Kingsley said. “I’ll deliver your message.”

Grayson nodded and disapparated. He knew that Kingsley would keep his word, and that Arabella would be only too happy to forget it happened. She disliked the Dursleys intensely.

When Vernon awoke that morning, the first thing he realized was that something had been tucked in his hand while he slept. The second thing he realized was that it was a small square of old-fashioned parchment, with some writing on it, and that something was stapled to it. He decided to read the note first:

To Vernon Dursley:

You have been made aware of why Harry needs to be with your wife, to stay safe. However, remember this: Harry ONLY needs to be with your wife. You are expendable.

We will be watching you. You will never know when or where or how, but rest assured, we will be watching.


The note was unsigned. Puzzled, Vernon turned it over, and saw that a single lock of bright fuschia hair had been stapled to the note. He recoiled in horror at the sight, nearly wetting himself.

He would continue to treat Harry with nothing but disdain and cruelty, over the ensuing eight years, and make many nasty threats of violence against him. However, he would never, ever strike him again.

At the moment that Vernon was discovering this final message; a bright yellow P-51 Mustang with a fierce-looking badger painted on its side passed over the Hebridian Islands. Its destination: an obscure wizard settlement in central Wyoming, and the hope of a new life and new horizons for its owner.


AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is just the beginning of the exciting adventures of Ulysses Grayson. His story will continue in "Ginny's Journey -- Book 1", which I will submit shortly.