Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Security by IceHeart161

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter 4



“Have you already met?” Her cheerful supervisor asked.



Malfoy answered for her, “We just met last night.” He didn’t stand up. As he leaned back in his chair, Hermione tried to think of a time when she’d seen a more arrogant posture. She wanted to slap him, but Hermione-the-Muggle didn’t hate Draco-the-Muggle, she stuffed her hands in her pockets.


“Wonderful! Why don’t you take a seat, Miss Granger?” Hermione sat down. The supervisor explained that she and Malfoy would be testing some of the newest computer software. When he finally walked away Hermione glared at Malfoy.


“What? Didn’t believe me, did you?” He raised an eyebrow. She said nothing. “We’re partners now, Granger, don’t seem so angry about it.”


She leaned forward and snapped, “Why are you so happy about this?”


She didn’t get her answer. Just then a man walked up to her desk. “Hello,” he said offering a hand, “My name is Julian Vaughn. I just waned to welcome you to this cozy little basement.”


Hermione shook his hand wondering why everyone was so friendly, “Hermione Granger.”


“Beautiful name for a beautiful woman,” she heard Malfoy choke. “Care to grab a coffee with me after work?”


“Sounds great.”


Julian smiled broadly, “Smashing,” he said and walked away.


“Smashing, just smashing,” Malfoy muttered. “Beautiful name for a beautiful woman.”


“Jealous?” Hermione asked.


“Of you? Ha!”


“Of him, unless of course you swing that way, in which case I completely understand.” Malfoy choked on the water he was drinking.


“You really must learn how to swallow.”


They worked for a few hours trying to break through the security measures on the computer software. “How are you doing?” Malfoy asked around one.


“It’s a good system,” she said.


“Let’s grab lunch,” he stood up.


Lunch with a vampire sounded better, even if she were the meal. But she stood up and followed Malfoy. They said nothing as the lift took them to the lobby. They walked two doors down. “Are you daft?” she said as Malfoy was about to step into the Leaky Cauldron. “If wizards we know see us together they’ll suspect something, especially given your…alleged alliances.”


“I was never convicted, and no one will see us.” He led her inside. They sat in a shady booth. Malfoy took his wand out and muttered an incantation. Hermione looked shocked, “What?”


“That’s a very difficult and subtle charm. I didn’t know you had the skill or power to use it.” Grudging respect showed in her eyes.


“My…alleged associates demanded power and the skill to use it. My skill with charms, among other things, is simply the product of their demands.” He shrugged.


“That’s a lot to tell me, especially since I didn’t ask a question.” She crossed her arms, “How much will it cost me, and when do you expect me to pay?”


“The price?” She nodded. He seemed to think for a moment. “When it comes to our…association…trust me.” He said, “I, of course, shall do the same for you. It should make this project run smoothly.”


“I have never, in the twelve years I have known you, felt that there was any possibility for trust between us. Why should I start now?”


He smirked, “Because now we’re colleagues. This is a dangerous job. Do you even know what happened to the last person they sent in?” Hermione shook her head. “He disappeared; presumed dead. Do you want to be next?”


“I won’t dignify that with an answer.”


“Then do you trust me enough to work with me? No matter what my personal feelings are, I’ll try to not get you killed.”


“Comforting, really.” She took a deep breath, let it out, “You turn on me, I turn on you, got it? And don’t think I’m too good to do it.”


He grinned, “Keep talking like that and we may be more than just business partners.” Hermione stood up, disgusted. “Listen, Granger, I’m sorry, sit down. We still have a few minutes before we have to be back.”


“Fine, but only because this is much more important than either of us.” She sat down. “We need to find out where they keep their files on the system, and the prototype. My guess is that they have a top security server somewhere in the building. Not sublevel 3. They own the whole building, yes?”


“Right. The third and fourth floor are offices. There is a cafeteria on the second. You’ve seen the lobby, the only other thing on that floor is the toilets. Sublevel Two and Three are the main research and development areas. Sublevel One is off limits to anyone without clearance.”


“You could have just said that our information is probably one Sublevel One.”


He smirked, “I could have, but on those muggle spy shows they tell every last detail, it usually helps them escape.”


She rolled her eyes, “That’s for plot development so the people watching know where things are. You watch the telly?”


“It passes the time. Have you seen what they call magic?”


Hermione was uncomfortable with the sudden friendly turn in the conversation. “We should go back, they’ll missing us soon.”


When they arrived back there were stacks of paper on there desks. One of the papers was labeled diagnostics. She divided the stack in half. Each of the smaller piles was a foot and a half thick.


“Maybe we’ll finish before next year,” said Malfoy.


Hermione smirked, “Too much for you, Malfoy?”


“It was a joke, Granger, you do know what that is?”


They lapsed into silence.





Later Julian came looking for her. “Are you ready?”



She looked at Malfoy, “By all means, go,” he said.


“Let me pack up, I’ll meet you at the lift.” He smiled, nodded, and left.


“Get all the information you can.”


“I know, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She left.


Julian was waiting for her. “I know this great little café. It’s just a short walk from here.”


“Wonderful.” They left the building and walked six blocks down the street. They did not pas the Leaky Cauldron. A castle was carved into the door, she looked at the sign, “The Shakespeare Café?”


“You’ve never been here?” He looked stunned. “My mum was absolutely, and I mean absobloodylutely, obsessed with good ole Bill.”


They walked in and were seated. Things on the menu included Bard’s beignets, Juliet Juice (Hermione thought that sounded extremely disgusting), Romeo Rolls, and the like. “Clever menu,” she said.


Julian laughed. The waitress came to their table, and they ordered. “So, what made you want to work at SecureCo?” He asked.


She didn’t even have to think of her cover. “My parents are dentists. I’ve always thought it was awfully boring work. When I was…12, I think, I became addicted to those spy programs. You know the like?” He nodded. “Well, I wanted to make something no one could get through.” She smiled, Hermione-the-muggle was having fun, “What about you?”


“My father owns the company. It wasn’t exactly a choice,” he smiled sheepishly.


“Wicked,” Hermione-the-witch was reformulating her plan for handling Julian. His usefulness had just multiplied tenfold. “If it weren’t for you father, what would you do?”


He looked surprised. “No one has ever asked me that before. I’ve never really thought about it.” He thought for several moments. Finally, he said, “I don’t know. I don’t think you could understand it. I’m my parents only child, there never was another choice.”


Just like Malfoy, the thought came unbidden from the depths of her mind. “Actually,” she said, “I think I do. Understand, I mean.” He smiled broadly again. They talked for awhile longer, but Hermione got little information about SecureCo.


He walked her to the Underground. “You sure you don’t want a ride?”


“I’m sure.” He smiled, shrugged, and left. After descending into the Underground, Hermione headed for the toilets. Once inside she apparated to her parents house. She opened their front door and walked inside, “Mum, Da, I’m here.” She could hear her parents working in the kitchen. Hermione followed her nose. “Smells delicious.”


“It’s just fish,” said Mrs. Granger. “And it’s almost done. Set the table.” Hermione got her wand out. Domestic spells were the only kind she had never mastered. All of the plates, silverware, cups, even the salt shakers were upside down.


Her father looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “I’ll fix it,” she said.


“The muggle way?” He asked


“Oh fine, don’t’ let me have my fun.” She fixed the settings and they all sat down.


“So how’s work?” Asked her mother.


This was the part Hermione hated most about her visits to her parents. Every time she came, one of her parents would invariably ask her about her work, and Hermione was forced to lie. She knew it was for their protection, but it didn’t make it any less hard. “Great, I just got a promotion.”


“That’s wonderful, Hermione! We’re so proud of you for all of your hard work.” Her parents were both smiling. Hermione did too, but she felt rotten inside. “What will you be doing?”


“Paper work, lot’s of paperwork.” She rolled her eyes, “The Ministry likes to have four copies of everything. I’m going to be testing products to make sure they are fit for sale.”


“That sounds exciting.” Hermione shrugged. She stayed for a few hours, eating and watching Reality Television.


“I don’t believe they have the gall to put this on the air,” said her father. “Look at those two, do they even know the cameras are there?” Hermione smiled, her father loved, and loved to hate Reality Shows. Especially Big Brother, which he watched religiously.


“I need to go now,” Hermione stood up.


“Must you?” Asked her mother.


“Yeah, I still have some paperwork to finish before going in tomorrow.” Her mother and father hugged her. “I’ll be back in two weeks. Okay?” They nodded she kissed each of them and apparated to the alley behind her building.


She walked into her flat, Alissa wasn’t home, but that was normal. Hermione went into her room and fell asleep.



Ron was sitting next to her. It wasn’t a memory. “Is this real?” she asked. Ron hugged her close to him saying nothing. “Are you really here, Ron?”


It was as if by saying his name, she made him speak. “Can’t you feel me?” he asked. “Isn’t that enough?”



Staying quiet for a moment, she looked around the room. It wasn’t a room, exactly, just a place. The walls, if one could call them that, were inky black, and they seemed to be undulating. It wasn’t dark, though. She and Ron were glowing. “If your just a figment of my imagination, go away. If I can’t really have you, I don’t want to suffer the memories.”


“Don’t you already?” He morphed into Harry. “I’m still here for you, I’ll always be here for you.” He kissed her on the lips. It was nice, but not passionate.


“Stop that, Harry,” she said. “You’re not here either. Why are you haunting me?”


The body beside her stood up. Now it was herself. “Don’t you know?” the other Hermione asked. “You’ve failed one, and will fail the other. You can’t even do a simple table setting spell. You’re weak. You’re powerless. You’re nothing.”


“Go away!” The real Hermione screamed.


Fake Hermione didn’t even flinch, “I can’t go away, I’m in you. You’re just a worthless little mudblood. Do you think you can escape me?” But she too faded. Hermione drew her knees to her chin and hid her face. When she finally looked up, a single tear dropped from her eyes. She saw something, someone, she never expected to see in her dreams. Malfoy was standing leagues away through the undulating dark. He was staring at her.


And staring.


Just staring.


She stared too. There was nothing else she could do.