Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Security by IceHeart161

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +


Chapter 5



Malfoy was staring at her.



“What?” she asked, finally looking up from her computer. His eyes were about to burn holes through her skull.



“Nothing,” he shifted his gaze, looking behind her, he said, “Your new bloke is coming this way.”



“Wonderful,” she muttered.



“Not up to your high standards?”



“He’s the bosses only son; it doesn’t matter how little character he has.” Malfoy actually laughed.



“I hope I’m not the butt of the joke,” said Julian. Malfoy coughed to cover his new fit of laughter.



Hermione smiled, “Of course not.”



Julian sat on the edge of Hermione’s desk, some of Malfoy’s papers scattered and fell to the floor. He picked up a pen and pretended to stab Julian several times. Julian was oblivious. “So,” he said to Hermione, “There’s a new film starting up on Friday. Want to go with me?”



Malfoy kept up his pantomime, be he silently encouraged her. “Yeah, sure,” said didn’t sound enthused.



“Great,” he started to walk away, but he turned back. “Are you aware of company lunch policy?”



“No, why?”



“The company asks that employees eat in the cafeteria on the second floor. The food is good, and inexpensive.” He looked at Malfoy, “Keep it in mind.”



As Julian walked away, Malfoy said, “That’s bull shit, that’s a heaping, steaming, load of bull shit.” He looked at the time. “Let’s eat, we need to talk.”



They walked quickly and in near silence to the second floor cafeteria. After standing in line for nearly ten minutes, they sat down in a corner. The food on their trays was identical. The closest employee to them was two tables away. “This place might be bugged,” Hermione said in a harsh whispered, “Muggle listening devices, you know?” Draco nodded. “Though it’s so loud in here I doubt they could hear us.”



“Then why are you whispering?”



She met his eyes, “I could be wrong. You’re the one that wanted to talk, so talk.”



He looked over her shoulder, just a glance, but it was enough to tell her that someone was looking at them a little too intently. “The truth is,” he said, smiling sheepishly, “I’m just going to come out with this,” now muggle-Malfoy was talking, “Want to grab a something to drink after we leave?”



Muggle-Hermione smiled, “Yeah, sounds great.” They ate in silence and went back to their desks.



Once they finished all they could do that day, Malfoy and Hermione left sublevel three in the only way they traveled together, silently. “This is a muggle place,” Hermione said as they walked inside a pub.



Malfoy smiled, “London has many secrets, this place is one of them.” He led her to a closet, there were stairs under a trap door. They walked down for over a minute; the stairs led to a dark hallway, it seemed to go on forever in either direction. The door they entered said ‘The Witches Wart.’ A few wizards sat at the tables, most of them looked like convicts. The corner they sat in was the darkest place in the establishment.



“Dark wizard haunt?”



Malfoy shrugged, “Used to be.”



“What a surprise,” several shrunken heads hung from the ceiling and there were jars of substances she didn’t want to identify on various counters and tables.



“So, what did you find out on your little outing with Vaughn?” He sneered.



Hermione ignored his expression, “He’s the bosses only son, you know the type,” He nodded, “He didn’t say much else, except that his mother loves Shakespeare. That doesn’t help much.”



“Where does he work? What level?”



“Unfortunately, it would have been imprudent to ask.” She crossed her arms, “Any ideas on how to get the system specs?”



“I’ll be staying at work late tomorrow, I want to know when every one leaves, and I need a way into sublevel two.”



“We,” she said, “We need a way into sublevel two.”



He nodded, “I meant we.”



“What’s your plan?”



“I’ll hack into the security system with a coworkers name, it should be easy.” Hermione said nothing. “Is it not morally righteous enough for you? Or do you wish you had thought of it first?”



She shrugged, “It’s a sound plan.” The stench was starting to get to her. “Are we finished?”



He held up a hand to stop her from standing up, “Just one last thing.”



“What?”



“We need to establish a protocol for passing information. Talking after or during work will become obvious very soon.”



She raised an eyebrow, “What do you suggest, notes in a trash can?”



“Do you want to go dumpster diving? I know I’m not a fan of it. That won’t work, Granger.”



“I was being sarcastic, but do you have a better idea? It’s a bad plan, but it’s the only plan.”



“I’m thinking.”



“Does it hurt?” He sneered at her. She leaned back in her chair, and said, “We’ll need to talk in person then.” She didn’t sound happy about it.



“Nice deduction,” he said, “Do you want a cookie?”



“How,” Hermione asked, ignoring him.



“Must I spell it out for you, Granger? We’ll meet in private, using a believable cover story, and discuss business. If we don’t kill each other the plan will work,” he said.



Hermione resisted to urge to roll her eyes, “I never thought I’d work closely with someone who I’m at risk of murdering every waking hour.”



Draco didn’t respond for a moment, then he just said, “Yeah.”



“What, no witty comeback?” Triumph shown in her eyes.



“It’s almost 7 o’clock, I just want to go home. Let’s finish here so we can go recharge for tomorrows battle of wits. We need to talk alone, if no one knows, or thinks they know, why we’re always together, rumors will start.”



She raised an eyebrow, “And you care about muggle rumors?”



He shook his head, “Of course, not. I do, however care about our muggle cover. They mustn’t think we’re any different.” They lapsed into silence. Eventually he said, “I do have a plan, and it will work, but it won’t work without your complete support.”



“And what, pray tell, is your plan?”



He started, then paused, as if he didn’t know how to phrase his proposal. “We will appear to be dating. It will give us enough reason to be alone together often enough. No one should suspect.”



“Alright,” said Hermione. Malfoy’s eyes widened. “What?” she asked, “Didn’t expect me to agree?” He nodded. “It’ll work, and I want to get back to my flat. If that’s all we needed to get done, I’m leaving.” She stood up.



Malfoy called after her as she walked away, “Bye, sweetie.” She rolled her eyes and kept on her course.



The ride home seemed shorter than it was on most days. When she opened the door to her flat Alissa said, “Where have you been? I was starting to worry.”



Hermione smiled, “No you weren’t. And you know I was just working.”



Alissa shook her head, “I have it on good authority that you left the office almost two hours ago with Draco Malfoy. Work stays in the office, so what were you two doing together?”



Hermione rolled her eyes, “We went out, had a drink, nonalcoholic, and discussed a project we’re doing. It was work. I promise.”



“I think he fancies you.”



“Last week you though Will the Janitor fancied me. Can you tell me who it will be next week? I’d like to keep a list of all the hearts I’m breaking.”



Alissa laughed, “Speaking of broken hearts, you never did get around to telling me about your date with Julian Vaughn.”



“You’re right, I didn’t,” Hermione walked towards her room.



Alissa cut in front of her, “I don’t think so, sit down, I want details.”



Hermione threw her hands up as she sat at the kitchen table, “We went to a café, had coffee, and discussed the meaning of life. He’s nice enough, but a little shallow if you ask me.”



“You know what your problem is? You’re too picky! Julian Vaughn, too shallow! He’s Julian Vaughn.”



“I will not let my standards waver because he’s the bosses son, he doesn’t deserve special treatment.” She paused, “But, because he’s so pretty, we’re going out again on Friday.” Alissa’s jaw dropped and Hermione walked into her room.



Hours later, just as she was about to fall asleep, Hermione heard Alissa say, “You’re too picky.” But she was asleep before she could think about it.



“The key is to fit in,” her handler told her as they sat on a bench in the underground station. “Muggles are different from us, for our purposes they mustn’t ever detect those differences.”



“I’m a muggle born, I can act like a muggle.”



Her handler looked at her, “But you aren’t a muggle. How many days a week do you ride on the underground?”



“Never, of course.”



“You see my point?”



Hermione nodded. “I need to learn how to fit in.”


“Yes, you do. We’ll skip the money lessons, you do know that. Now, give me your wand.”



“What?” She hadn’t ever given up her wand, willingly.



“For the next week you will be a muggle. No magic, at all. Give me your wand, Miss Granger.”



Her wand was her power, her confidence, and the seat of her magic. Giving up her wand was giving her being over to someone else.



“Miss Granger.”



She pulled it out of her handbag, “Here.”



“You’ll be working here for the next week,” he handed her a business card and pointed out an address. “You’ll be living here.” He pointed to another. “When your time is up, report to the address on the back of the card. We will be grading you, so, watch your back. Good luck.”



He walked away. Hermione just sat there, feeling helpless.