Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Snow Ball Absentees by ClosetteFanne

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He glanced up from his book, fourth time in the last ten minutes. Is she ever going to put that book down? he thought. How many times does one need to read Hogwarts, a History anyway?

She kept on reading, fully aware of his consistent peeks. Hermione tried her best to keep a concentrated expression. It was hard, being that she had already memorized the volume she cradled in her lap. The fact she was dead tired helped, too. But she would not budge; she wanted to linger in Ron’s presence for a little while longer. No matter how heavy her eyelids felt.

Just a matter of time, Ron thought. He wanted to her go to bed. Only then could he join Harry, Ginny, and Neville in their snowball fight.

A midnight battle seemed like the perfect event to tire them out after a long day of Honeydukes sweets and Zonko’s jokes. The pent-up energy had to be released somehow, so the three ran to the moonlit yard, bundled in jumpers and cloaks. Ron could see them from the window, a muted scene of flying snowballs and snow angels.

A soft thud caused Ron to change his stare once again to Hermione. She had fallen asleep, and the hardback slipped off her lap and on to the rug. Here goes, Ron said in his head, as he went over to scoop the girl into his arms.

But as he approached he slowed. Had she always had such skin? It looked smooth and soft, as the light from the fire danced upon it.

No, he was thinking too much. Must just be the light, he concluded as he bent down. He moved her into his arms and headed for the girls’ dormitories. No one would stop him, since the only other three Gryffindors here during winter holiday were outside freezing through their layers.

As he drew near to her bed, he had the urge to not put her down. She is comfortable in my arms. He smiled and licked his lips. She likes being close to me. What? What did I just say? Gosh, I really must be tired. Ron bowed down, laying Hermione on the bed, thus pinning his arm down.

Why are you such a stupid git, he scolded himself. Lying beside her on the bed, so that he could wiggle himself free, Ron looked straight into her face. Wow, I really like this view. She is amazing. And she would smack me if she knew I was in the girls’ dormitory, let alone in her bed.

Just as he freed himself, Hermione’s eyes fluttered opened. Since when did the common room have beds and why am I sharing one with Ron? Realizing the situation, she pushed herself away.

“Ron, I don’t think you are supposed to be in my head, I mean bed, no, uh, in here,” she stuttered. God, I hope I wasn’t sleep talking again. According to Ginny, Hermione had had her fair share of ramblings of Ron in her sleep.

“Of course, ‘Mione, I was just making sure you got into bed okay.” Had she first smiled when she awoke? Probably dreaming of Seamus or even worse Krum. “I was just going, ‘night…” He turned and walked away swiftly.

Bloody hell, she scared him away! “Wait! Wait, Ron, um…..” Think, you stupid girl! “Ron, why did care about me getting to bed alright?” She lingered on the thought of his words.

“Oh, well, you know, you have this tendency of hunching over when you sleep in armchairs, and I wouldn’t want to hear you complain about it all tomorrow.” Ron squeezed out a chuckle. What the hell had he just said? Quick, cover your arse! His coloring already resembled that of a Chudley Canons poster; his fiery orange locks clashing with his completely reddened face. Classic Weasley, blushing uncontrollably.


“Thanks.” Hermione looked at the bedcovers. No such luck.

“No, actually, ‘Mione, I just wanted to see what it was like to tuck you in. You looked so beautiful tonight, as always. I wanted to kiss you goodnight and watch you sleep for awhile, but you woke up. I’m sorry.” After that, he was speechless. There was nothing else to say. Well, there was one thing…

“Wow, there’s honesty, if I ever saw it…how long have you felt this way?” Had he liked her all these years?

He didn’t know what was happening, but his lanky legs were carrying him back to the bed where Hermione lay. “Don’t really know…just wanted to let you know what I thought.” He plopped down on the mattress, still avoiding eye contact. He hoped with all his might he hadn’t read the signals wrong.

“Okay, well, I will go back to sleep and not ruin your plans.” She smiled and laid back down. Her heart did flips at thought of his lips touching her…any part of her.

WHAT?!? Okay, this was too good to be true, so Ron pinched himself. Yep, he was awake. “Uh, ‘Mione? Since you’re already wake…” He leaned in close to her face

She didn’t have time to get the words out; his lips were already on hers. Ron’s lips were surprising soft and warm. The sensation spread throughout her whole body. As his tongue slipped past her, the feeling exploded, causing her to shiver.

His hand curved around her head, while the other felt along her waist. How did I manage to survive these years without her soft skin on mine? Ron thought, but barely as most caution was being thrown to the wind. Her hands searched his face and head. Running her fingers through his thick hair, she pulled back to catch her breath. Apparently, Ron had no concern for breath, as he kissed down her neck, moving with slow deep movements. She tasted sweet and warm.

He needed to stop now, or things could get dangerous. But he loved danger. After all, his best friend was the epitome of danger. Hadn’t he longed for such excitement all his life?

Regardless, Ron kissed her once more on the lips, lightly, and pulled away. “Well, I hope that was okay…I didn’t want to take advantage.”

Hermione lie there slightly biting her lip. “No, Ron, that was amazing.” She pulled him close to the mattress and stared at him. “Will, you just stay next to me? I don’t want you to leave yet.”

He climbed into her sheets, and found her hand under the covers. She kept staring into his pensive eyes. Something lingered in Ron’s mind, past the lips and hands of Hermione.

“’Mione? One last thing…”

Her eyelids were getting heavy again, so she closed them and listened to his familiar voice, saying unfamiliar words.

In less than a whisper, “I love you” entered the air. Both of them smiled, and fell asleep.