Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Year Seven: Harry Potter & The Blood Debt by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hey, and welcome to the story; I forgot to say that last time :x

If any of you guys know how to draw, and are super bored, I'd love if you'd draw some of the characters for me and send 'em my way. (Particularly Alex, and some Harry/Katie pics) I've drawn some myself, but I would love to see some 'real' artwork... I'm not that great.

That's pretty much it, I'm putting this chapter up pretty soon because it's just as important in establishing the story as chapter one, they kind of go together. Enjoy it and everything else to come; thanks, love you guys.


Chapter 2: Toasts, Porridge, and a Painting.

“Perhaps it’s time we make the toasts…” Percy said.

“Yes, it would be best to get the boring bits out of the way,” Fred added.

“Alright then,” Charlie said. “Get their attention…”

He gestured towards the busily chattering guests that filled the ballroom of the Golden Goblet. It seemed more people had turned up for the reception than for the actual wedding.

Harry turned his attention to Bill and Fleur; they were talking quietly and giving each other kisses on the cheek and laughing softly. Harry was sure he’d never seen two people look so happy.

“They’re adorable, aren’t they?” Katie whispered.

“Yeah,” Harry answered. “It must be great to be so happy… despite everything…”

“Sometimes you have to make your own happiness…” Katie said wisely.

Harry just smiled at her and kissed her cheek.

Percy stood up and tapped his champagne glass with a fork, but nobody paid him any attention. He looked around pompously and cleared his throat. Still, nobody noticed. Harry and Katie tried their best not to laugh, though it was so loud that Percy probably wouldn’t have heard them.

“OY! EVERYONE LISTEN UP!” Fred and George shouted simultaneously, and the room fell silent as everyone turned their faces to the circular front table, around which the wedding party was seated.

“Thank you Fred and George,” Percy said stiffly, before turning back to the finally quieted guests. “It’s time for speeches. And if it’s not too bold, I though I might like to start…”

He paused for a moment, cleared his throat, and looked about the room with a highly superior air.

“This wedding has been a blessing, not only for Bill and Fleur, but for our entire family. We are living in a world where it is difficult to find happiness in anything more than the little things; a world where tragedy does not hesitate in striking the same place twice. Today, we gather to celebrate the love of Bill and Fleur and we are reminded that true happiness is never unattainable…” he turned to the newlyweds and raised his glass. “To Bill and Fleur.”

Everyone raised their glasses and echoed Percy’s words.

“Way to lighten the mood, Perce…” George said as Percy sat down and Charlie stood up.

“Well, I’m not sure how I can beat that, Perce,” he said. “But since I am the best man, I’m expected to make a toast, so I’ll have a go at it…

“Fleur, as you all can see, is absolutely gorgeous, and I often wondered how Bill managed to win her over. So, I took Bill to the side the night of the wedding rehearsal and I asked him, honestly, truthfully: ‘How the bloody hell did you manage it?’ And he answered: ‘I reckon I owe it to the devilishly handsome Weasley looks…’

He stopped and flashed a handsome smile at the guests.

“I have to say, I can’t argue against that… of course, we have to thank our beautiful Mum for half of that good fortune, and dear old Dad for the other half. Unfortunately, Dad can’t be here for this happy day, but we can be sure wherever he is, he’s taking care of the most gorgeous of all the Weasleys, our precious Ginny.”

He paused momentarily, before continuing on with a slow and solemn note.

‘Having said that I’d like to toast to the beautiful Fleur, and her new husband Bill, and wish them nothing but happiness and good fortune in the coming years.”

Everyone raised their glasses for a second time as Ron stood up.

“Well, I just thought I’d mention that Bill was not the first Weasley to be taken by Fleur’s charm. I was actually the first, and I went as far as asking her to the Yule Ball during my fourth year. I remember it clearly because of how incredibly mortified I was. Alas, she said no “ but to state on record Fleur, I only asked you out because I was too much of an idiot to realize that I was in love with my own best friend. No, I don’t mean Harry, I mean Hermione Granger… the light of my life. But now, everything is the way it should be: Fleur is with Bill, and I’m with Hermione. So congratulations Bill, on winning over the one I couldn’t, and thank you Fleur for turning me down. I truly hope you’re both very happy together.”

Everyone raised their glasses a third time, and applauded again. Ron shoved Harry and said ‘you’re next…” Harry realized they were going in order around the table, and he was next in line.

“I didn’t realize I was expected to…” Harry said nervously.

“Ah! Go on, Harry!” Bill said. “You’re as much a Weasley as any of us!”

“It wouldn’t feel right without you, Harry dear,” Mrs. Weasley said.

Harry smiled at Mrs. Weasley; if she wanted him to make a toast, than he wasn’t going to let her down. He took a deep breath and stood up.

“I’ve known the Weasleys for six years now, and they are the most fantastic group of people I have ever met. Today means as much to me as it does for all of them,” he began, not quite sure of where exactly he was going.

“I met Bill for the first time when I was fourteen, and my first impression of him was that he was ‘cool.’ I met Fleur a few months later, during the Triwizard Tournament. She was one of my fellow champions. I was very intimidated by her, to say the least. I remember the first time Fleur saw Bill, actually. He and Mrs. Weasley had come as my family members to wish me good luck for the Third Task - it was something I was very grateful for, not really having any one else. Anyway, I had seen Fleur watching him from a few feet away, paying absolutely no attention to anything anyone else was saying to her. I probably should have guessed then what would happen...

“So I want to welcome Fleur to the best family you can be a member of, and congratulate the both of you on your wedding. I know it’s been said already, but I hope the two of you will be very happy together…”

Harry raised his glass, and the room of guests followed suit, again following the toast with applause. Harry sat down, and Katie gave him a reassuring smile.

“That was lovely,” she said.

Harry nodded thanks, and turned his attention to Fred and George, who were now standing up and making their own toast.

“We have a confession to make,” Fred said, “Today, my dear brother George and I were almost responsible for killing Bill, here…”

The guests gasped.

“See “ we gave him a joke tie,” George explained. “Only 5 sickles each at Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley, and normally not lethal in the slightest. But unfortunately today, we did not see past our own humorous intentions.”

“The tie is meant to get tighter around the neck of one who is anxious…”

“Too bad it nearly strangled Bill, because of how nervous he was…”

“And who wouldn’t be nervous, marrying a beaut like Fleur, here…”

“But thankfully our honorary brother, Harry “”

“Yes, Harry Potter, folks “ you know him, well…”

““ stepped in and saved the day.”

“He does have a bit of a ‘saving people’ thing… so we weren’t surprised,”

“He probably only did it for the glory, but alas, we are digressing…”

“He stepped in and reminded Bill of what is important.”

“And Bill, being a man wise beyond his years, understood that marriage is not something to be nervous about, but something to look forward to.”

“In a family of so many men, it is difficult to remember something like this…”

“And we had always relied on our darling sister Ginny to keep us reminded of such matters.”

“Unfortunately, Ginny is no longer with us, but she will live on in our hearts.”

“And today, when we might normally be mourning the loss of our beloved sister, instead we remember her goodness…”

“And celebrate the wonderful gift of our new sister, Fleur,” they both finished together.

The wedding reception had continued on into the early hours of the morning, and Harry had only gotten home and stumbled into bed after the sun had already risen. He felt as though he had barely hit the sheets when he was awoken by Mrs. Weasley.

‘Harry, you have to be up soon,” she said. “Alexandria will be here in half an hour…”

“Aaydunwannuhgerrup,” Harry groaned, turning away from Mrs. Weasley and pulling his cover over his head.

“Harry James Potter, you are to get up this instant and go straight to the shower, or I will see that the shower is brought to you…” Mrs. Weasley said.

“I’m up, I’m up!” Harry said, jumping up so fast he fell from the bed onto the floor.

“Good “ now have a shower and when you’re finished, I’ll have some breakfast ready for you down in the kitchen…”

“What about Ron and Hermione?” Harry asked.

“Alexandria requested to see only you, this morning,” Mrs. Weasley said simply, before leaving Harry confused on his bedroom floor, wondering why Professor Alchemina would want to see him alone.

Alexandria Alchemina was the newest professor at Hogwarts, and had taught Potions for a few months in Snape’s stead when he mysteriously disappeared while on Order business. Now she would be taking over Defense Against the Dark Arts in place of Professor Lupin, who had moved to Manchester for a study involving a Werewolf cure. Harry had also enlisted her help in giving himself, as well as his friends, extra defense lessons “ should they find themselves in the face of danger again.

Harry stood up, and his covers that he had dragged with him onto the floor fell, revealing his dress robes from the day before. Harry was very relieved that Mrs. Weasley hadn’t spotted that he had not bothered to change clothes before going to bed. Grabbing his wand, he summoned a change of clothes from the open wardrobe as well as a towel from the first drawer of his dresser, and left his bedroom for the shower.

About fifteen minutes later, he emerged from the bathroom fully dressed and went quickly downstairs for his breakfast. The only person in the kitchen with Mrs. Weasley was Christopher Bell, Katie’s father.

“Morning Mr. Bell,” Harry yawned, as he sat down at the kitchen table and Mrs. Weasley placed a bowl of steaming porridge in front of him.

“Good morning Harry,” Mr. Bell replied. “Did you have a good time last night?”

“Yeah…” Harry answered sleepily.

Harry turned his attention to his porridge and did his best not to fall asleep face first into the bowl. Had he known Professor Alchemina was coming this morning, he probably would have left the reception just a bit earlier.

“Why does Professor Alchemina want to see me, Mrs. Weasley?” Harry asked.

“I haven’t a clue, Harry dear,” Mrs. Weasley replied. “She flooed me this morning and said that she’d be visiting at eight, and that she wanted to see you alone at that time.”

Harry looked at his watch and, seeing that it was ten to eight, groaned. He had probably only had an hour’s sleep. He finished his breakfast and laid his head on the newly finished cherry-wood table.

“Harry “ are you awake?”

Harry jerked his eyes open and found Professor Alchemina looking at him. He lifted his head off the table and found that both Mr. Bell and Mrs. Weasley had left.

“Sorry Professor Alchemina… must have drifted off…” Harry said.

“I told you, as long as we’re not in class, you can call me Alex,” she said, giving him a warm smile. “Anyway, you must be exhausted,” she said. “Late night?”

“Try early morning…” he replied, fixing his glasses.

“I’m sorry to spring an unscheduled visit on you, but I’m leaving for Manchester in an hour or so, and I’ll be gone until the new school term starts,” she told him.

“Are you visiting Lupin?” Harry asked tentatively.

“Yes, I am,” she told him. “I was actually going to ask you if you’d like to come with me, but Professor Dumbledore thinks its better you stay here.”

“It’s probably for the best,” Harry sighed.

“I’m glad you see it that way,” she said. “Now, I did come here for a reason… since I won’t see you until school starts again, I thought we’d go ahead and sort out a schedule for the defense lessons, now. It seems like you don’t want to waste any time…”

“You’re right about that,” Harry said darkly.

“I’ve already considered that you’ll have Quidditch Practice, as well as plenty of homework because of your N.E.W.T’s, so I thought the best time for the lessons will be every Saturday. If that’s alright with you, of course?”

“Yeah, Saturday’s fine “ but I’m not sure it’s enough…” Harry said.

“I thought you might say that “ well, Saturday is just for you and your friends. I think once a week will be enough for them, but I have a feeling that for you, these lessons are more than precaution…you know that you’ll be needing them.”

Harry was taken aback for a moment. She couldn’t possibly know about the prophecy, could she?

“How do you know…?”

“I figured that you know as well as anyone that as long as Voldemort is in power, he won’t stop pursuing you. You’re in more danger than anyone, and you know that another confrontation with him is not only likely, it’s inevitable.”

“Oh,” Harry said, swallowing hard. “Yes… inevitable.”

“Don’t worry too much, Harry “ you’re more powerful than you give yourself credit for. More importantly, you’re more powerful than Voldemort gives you credit for.”

She let out a deep breath.

“So, I’ll see you with your friends each Saturday “ Mr. Longbottom and Ms. Lovegood will be joining us during the year?”

Harry nodded.

“And when do you want to meet me by yourself?”

“I suppose mid-week is best “ Wednesday I suppose…”

“And that won’t clash with Quidditch?” she asked.

“Well, Ron is Captain, so I’ll just ask if he can leave Wednesdays open…” he said.

“Alright so,” Alex said, standing up to leave. “I should go then.”

“I’ll see you out,” Harry said.

He walked her to the front door.

“Well, I’ll see you in September, Harry,” she said as she was leaving. “Until then, stay safe “ and practice some of the spells we’ve been working on.”

“I promise, Profes “ Alex,” Harry said. “And thanks “ for everything. Oh, and say hello to Lupin for me.”

“I will,” she replied, just before Disapparating with a loud crack.

Harry closed the door and headed for the stairs to catch a couple hours sleep before getting up for the day. Just as he reached the bottom step, though, he stopped and glanced to the end of the hallway.

No, Harry, he told himself. It’s better if you don’t.

But Harry did not listen to his own thoughts, instead his feet carried him to the end of the hallway, where he stopped and turned to face Sirius’s portrait.

He was sleeping.

Harry turned to leave, but Sirius’s voice stopped him.

“Oh, sorry Harry “ didn’t see you there…” he yawned

“I’m sorry, Sirius,” Harry said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. “Didn’t mean to wake you, I’ll just come back “”

“No, stay,” Sirius said, pleadingly. “I haven’t seen you for a week…”

Harry couldn’t help but feel a little guilty, though he wasn’t sure why.

“It’s been a tough week,” he told Sirius.

“I thought it might “ with Ginny’s birthday, and all…” Sirius said consolingly.

Neither Harry nor the portrait spoke for a moment.

“How was the wedding?” Sirius asked.

“Oh “ it was brilliant…” Harry said, his voice lacking in enthusiasm.

Sirius looked at Harry painfully.

“I know it’s hard for you…” he said. “To talk to me.”

“No “ it’s fine,” Harry said. “After all “ it’s been more than a year, hasn’t it? I should learn to get over it…”

“Well, I don’t blame you at all,” Sirius said tragically, with a small smile spreading over his lips. “After all, I was a wonderful person. It’s only natural you still miss me…”

Harry gave a small laugh. He knew the portrait could never replace Sirius, but he was starting to allow it to fill part of the void he felt inside from the loss of his godfather. It always said exactly what Harry expected Sirius to say… and it was comforting in a very unusual way.

“Well, I should go upstairs and get some sleep…”

“Yeah, you look terrible.”

“I just stopped by to say hello…”

“Hello, then.”

“See you, Sirius,” Harry said.

“Soon, I hope,” Sirius replied.

Harry gave the portrait one last smile, before returning to his bedroom and flopping exhaustedly into his bed, where he fell asleep instantly.