Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Year Seven: Harry Potter & The Blood Debt by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 31: The Special Times

As Christmas approached, much of the wizarding world still remained grim due to harsh, biting winds and an uninterrupted flow of news concerning the war. Even at Grimmauld Place, where the decorations were vibrant and plentiful, the gloom settled in. Despite both the engagement announcement and expected addition to the Weasley family, it was the first Christmas without Arthur or Ginny, as was it painfully close to the first anniversary of the night Arthur was murdered. And for Katie, it was the first Christmas without her mum.

Most of the inhabitants of the house were prone to fits of despondency, but at one time or another there was someone determined to keep everyone in good spirits, and so the magic of the holiday season was not entirely lost.

The day before Christmas Eve, Mrs Weasley announced she had arranged for them to stay at the Burrow for the next two days. The news was received with mixed feelings “ the Weasley family certainly missed their home, but it also held many reminders of what was lost and how it was taken. Mostly, though, everyone seemed very joyous about visiting the Burrow for Christmas, and it was in an almost euphoric mood that Harry visited Diagon Alley with Katie so they could finish the last of their Christmas shopping.

The shop lined streets were not as busy as they usually were during the holidays, but were certainly more lively than they had been as of recent. There was an obvious presence of Ministry officials and Aurors, looking carefully up and down the streets as though they were ready to draw their wands at the slightest sign of trouble. But ther was also the refreshing sight of excited children and the merry sounds of rosy-cheeked young witches and top hat donned wizards singing Christmas carols

The rooftops were covered in freshly fallen snow, and the cobblestone streets were lined with icicle laden Christmas trees, inhabited with glowing faeries and adorned with glittering golden baubles.

“Mistletoe,” Harry said, pointing just above Katie’s head.

“Really? “” Katie made to glance upwards, but Harry caught her lips first and drew her body close to him. Her warmth was comforting in the cold air. Harry heard a small girl’s giggle amidst the wind that whistled passed his ears.

“Mmmm,” Katie sighed, pulling back an inch, her eyes still closed, and adding reluctantly, “We have shopping…”

“Just Hermione left,” Harry said, leaning his face towards her again “We’ll get her a book. Easy.”

“What about Siobhan?” Katie asked, stiffening only slightly as she forced the name past her lips. “She’ll be coming to the Burrow, along with Hermione…”

“Oh,” Harry said uncomfortably, blinking in surprise; “Um, yeah “ I should get her a gift, too, I s’pose.”

“What are you going to get her?” Katie asked casually.

“Er “ I think we could get her something at Flourish and Blotts, while we get Hermione’s gift. She “ likes to read.”

“Alright “ that’s our last stop then,” Katie said. “And then I guess we can stop at the Leaky Cauldron for a drink “ wait, I don’t see any mistletoe…”

Harry only grinned mischievously before tugging her hand as he headed for the bookshop.

____________________


The Weasley family, along with Harry and Katie, arrived at the Burrow late-morning on Christmas Eve; they were accompanied “ as was usual “ by Order guards.

They found the house already decorated, sparkling coloured lights wrapped around it from the foundation to the highest floor, as though it were an odd sort of Christmas tree. Once inside, they picked up scents of cinnamon and nutmeg which lead them into the kitchen, which was all set for Mrs Weasley to start cooking.

“I came earlier to make some preparations,” Mrs Weasley told them.

“I came, too,” Fleur said happily. “To ‘elp.”

“Yes, dear,” Mrs Weasley said distractedly, as she began racing around, looking overwhelmed at the joy of getting to cook in her own kitchen again. She reassured the others that she needed no assistance, but would call if she did, and so they left the kitchen to amble about the rest of the house.

Thought Katie wasn’t behaving fussed about the impending arrival of Siobhan, throughout the day Harry had developed a nervous habit of glancing at his watch every few minutes and then peering in the general direction of the front door. It wasn’t until the hour hand reached the ‘five’ that there was a knock on the door, and Mrs Weasley rushed to greet Hermione and Siobhan.

“Hermione, dear “ how lovely to see you! How are your mum and dad?”

“They’re doing fine, Mrs Weasley,” Hermione said with a broad smile.

“And “ this must be Siobhan…” Mrs Weasley said, turning to the red-headed girl who was standing, obviously a little uncomfortable

“Yes,” Siobhan said awkwardly, and her glance drifted to Harry as though he could give her a hint of what to say next. “Um… It’s lovely to meet you, finally. Harry’s told me so much about you.”

“Has he, now?” Mrs Weasley said happily, and her eyes also danced quickly in Harry’s direction. “Nothing bad, I hope.”

“No, of course not,” Siobhan answered.

“Well, I have to get back to the kitchen… I have a whole batch of mince pies to make for tonight…”

“Do you need some help?” Hermione asked automatically.

“No, dear, you just relax with the others…” Mrs Weasley answered, before returning attention to her cooking and baking, leaving everyone in a slightly uncomfortable silence as looks were shared between Siobhan and Katie.

“It’s nice to see you again, Katie,” Siobhan said first, earning an appraising eye from Katie, who finally gave a reluctant huff.

“You too, Siobhan,” she said, with a rather sincere (but very small) smile.


After a few hours, everyone had settled into the sitting room, where they sat rather quietly. Harry noticed a few people “ Katie, Ron and Charlie included “ looking rather distant, as though recalling memories of their loved ones long lost. Even still, everyone seemed rather peaceful, and Harry closed his eyes as the sounds of carols floated softly across the room from the wireless and the scents of Mrs Weasley’s baking filled his senses. It was a rare, treasurable moment of calm for all of them, and it rocked them to sleep right in front of the flickering flames of the brick lined hearth.

The next morning, they all woke up looking rather ragged, having slept in their clothes and in less than comfortable positions. Only Hermione had bothered to change before going to sleep, and was dressed in blue pyjamas and a red jumper. Weasley had joined them, and was seated in Mr Weasley’s old armchair, curled up with her head bobbing over the side of her shoulder.

Charlie, Ron, Bill and, surprisingly, Fleur were snoring, while Fred and George were already up, sorting through the gifts that were jumbled together underneath the tree.

Harry shook Katie awake, and her eyes opened slowly with an accompanying yawn.

“Merry Christmas,” Harry said with a grin.

“Merry Christmas,” she replied sleepily, laying a kiss on his cheek.

“Here Katie,” Fred said, tossing a package towards them, “this one’s yours.”

They all began tearing into the presents. Harry opened a few to find a new hand-knit sweater “ dark green with a ‘H’ on it “ from Mrs Weasley, a bottle of Re’em blood from Hermione (“For physical strength,” she told him), and a bag of Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes products from Fred and George. As he opened his fourth package, which turned out to be a commemorative Golden Snitch signed by the England National Seeker, there was a knock on the door.

Hermione, being the only one not trapped by a mound of gift wrappings (she had folded hers and placed it neatly beside her), stood up and walked to the door to see who it was.

“You’re going to answer the door in your pyjamas?” Ron asked with a grin.

“Oh, who could it possibly be,” she answered, opening the door and turning to face a rather tall young man, whose lightly freckled cheeks were flushed red with the cold.

Hermione’s mouth hung open for a moment before voicing a delayed “…Hello.”

The young man at the door looked the pyjama-clad Hermione up and down, his eyes lingering a moment on her bushy hair, which was wilder than usual, before glancing into the room with the rest of them.

“Hello. Is Siobhan Murphy here?” he asked.

“Who?” Hermione asked blankly, almost as though she hadn’t actually heard him at all. “Oh! Siobhan…”

Hearing her name, Siobhan looked up from the first pages of the book Harry had given her, and to the stranger standing in the doorway.

“Liam?” she said in surprise, before her face broke into a huge grin. “Liam!”

She stood up and waded through the paper-littered floor, rushing towards ‘Liam’ and throwing her arms around him. Hermione blinked and shook herself out of her trance, glaring at Ron when she caught him snickering madly.

“How did you know I was here?” Siobhan asked Liam.

“Well, I found Christopher Bell’s house “ but the girl there said you’d be staying here… so I though I’d drop by and say Happy Christmas.”

“I’m so glad you did “ bloody hell, you’ve grown another inch since I last saw you!”

“Yes, I believe I have,” Liam said.

“Siobhan, dear,” Mrs Weasley said, pulling a blanket tighter around her. “Perhaps you should ask your friend in, and close the door.”

Liam looked to Siobhan for instruction, and she nodded slightly “ he stepped in and she closed the door behind him. The others all shared their own questioning glances, before looking back to the pair of curly red heads.

“You’re… Siobhan’s brother...” Harry said suddenly.

“Yes, I am,” Liam confirmed.

“Everyone “ this is Liam,” Siobhan said, still smiling much more widely than usual. “Liam… this is Potter, Katie, Ron, Hermione, Mrs Weasley, Fleur, Bill, Charlie, Fred and George,” she said, gesturing to each person in turn.

“I didn’t even know she knew our names…” Fred whispered to Harry.

“And she even got Fred and me right,” George added.

“Hello, everyone,” Liam said with a nod.

At that moment a ball of orange fluff crawled from underneath a piece of flashing red and gold wrapping paper and walked up towards Liam, purring audibly as it brushed against the young man’s legs.

“And who is this?” Liam said, looking fondly at the cat.

“That’s my cat “ Crookshanks,” Hermione said, her cheeks slightly pink as she spoke to Siobhan’s brother.

“Hello there, Crookshanks,” Liam said, crouching down and scratching behind the cat’s ear.

“Liam, please sit down, I’m about to get us all some tea,” Mrs. Weasley said invitingly.

“Oh, no “ I should get going. I wouldn’t want to impose,” Liam said politely, still looking at down Crookshanks. At this, Harry noticed, Siobhan’s face fell slightly.

“Oh, you wouldn’t be imposing at all!” Mrs. Weasley said. “I’m sure Siobhan would love to spend Christmas with her brother “ I gather you don’t see much of each other?”

“He lives in Ireland,” Siobhan said quietly.

“Very well than, you must stay,” Mrs. Weasley insisted. “I won’t have it any other way.”

Again, Liam looked to Siobhan questioningly, and she nodded.

“Alright then,” Liam agreed.

Siobhan gave a pleased grin, and Hermione dashed upstairs, muttering something about changing out of her nightclothes.

Mrs. Weasley went into the kitchen to make tea, accompanied by Charlie. The rest of them returned to opening the rest of their gifts, and Siobhan and Liam chatted animatedly in the corner. Hermione returned, no longer in her pyjamas. Harry was just biting into a chocolate frog Katie offered him from her stocking when Charlie came in with a roll of parchment.

“Harry, this just arrived for you,” he said, handing it to him. “From Hogwarts.”

Harry unrolled it quickly, to find the familiar scribble of Hagrid’s handwriting.


Harry,

Happy Christmas! You’ll find your present outside, in the Weasley’s back garden. Sorry for the delay, but it took a bit of doin’ to get her there safely.

Hagrid

P.S. And, the law says you have to perform a Disillusionment Charm on her once in a while. Statute of Secrecy an’ all.


“Hagrid says “ he sent me a present, and it’s out back,” Harry told the others, looking down at the writing inside the card. “… ‘it took a bit of doin’ to get her there safely.’”

“Her?” Hermione repeated, bewildered.

“That can’t be a good thing,” Ron said nervously, taking noticeable movements towards the front of the house and away from the back door.

“What d’you think?” Harry asked with a chuckle. “Perhaps he sent me a leftover Skrewts? Or better yet - one of Aragog’s granddaughters.”

Ron shot Harry a look of annoyance mixed with terror; the resulting facial expression was rather amusing and Harry gave another warm laugh.

“Calm down, mate “ I really don’t think he’d send me something dangerous, especially since none of the Order members seem concerned about a rampaging beast on the premises…”

“Well, let’s go see what it is,” Charlie said with an excited grin, and they entire group, beckoned by curiosity, moved towards the backdoor.

Harry was first into the snow blanketed back garden, and Hagrid’s gift was very hard to miss. Two order members were standing next to what appeared to be a winged horse. It was grey, and “ a relief for Ron “ very gentle looking.

“Oooh,” Hermione cooed. “It’s a Granian.”

“A Granian?” Harry said, approaching the creature, surprised when Liam strode along side him.

“They’re incredibly fast,” Liam told him. “Beautiful creatures. I have a whole stable full back on the estate.”

“Is it “ okay to…touch her?” Harry asked unsurely

“Oh, I doubt she’d harm you,” Liam said, still looking at the winged horse with great admiration.

Taking Liam’s word, Harry put his hand out and stroked the horse gently. She leaned her head closer to him encouragingly.

“A Granian like that will come in mighty useful,” Liam said.

“Hagrid said she answers to the name Clarimonde,” one of the Order members told him.

Harry nodded, looking into the Granian’s dark eyes. Liam was right, she certainly was a beautiful creature.

“Nice to meet you, Clarimonde,” Harry said with a grin, and the horse neighed in response, sounding very happy to meet her new owner.

____________________


The rest of the day passed very enjoyably. Harry took Hedwig outside to meet Clarimonde, and other than a small amount of apprehension on the owl’s part, they seemed rather friendly. Liam, on the other hand, proved to be rather unsocial. Despite attempts at conversation by Hermione (which Ron no longer seemed amused by, but rather jealous of), Bill, and Mrs. Weasley, he didn’t seem too keen on talking. Fred and George aimed a few jokes in his direction, without much more than a weak smile “ which was very unusual since most people who knew the Weasley twins agreed they were quite the comedians. The only one who seemed to get more than a nod our headshake out of him was Charlie, who managed to strike up a conversation about dragons.

Dinner was as exquisite as was usual from Mrs. Weasley, and by the time the plates were cleared, everyone was satiated and wearing some kind of head adornment they had won from a Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes brand Christmas crackers [the most amusing being the strangely familiar giant lion’s head they had spent ten minutes bribing Siobhan to actually wear]. Everyone returned to the sitting room, to sit in front of the warmth of the fireplace and enjoy their gifts and one another’s company “ all except Liam who asked Harry if he could go outside to see Clarimonde, maybe take her for a ride.

“Oh, yeah “ of course,” Harry said, flashing a friendly smile, hoping to get some kind of response in return, and failing.

“Thank you,” Liam said rather formally before popping out the back door.

Harry nestled into the cosiness of one of the couches with Katie, and sighed at the familiar warmth of the Burrow and the Weasley family. He looked over at Ron and Hermione and was pleased to see them talking and laughing very comfortably. Maybe things were finally going back to normal…

“Where’s Liam?” Siobhan asked, coming down from the bedroom she had been staying in.

“He’s out. I think he took Clarimonde up for a short flight…” Harry said.

“Oh “ I’ll go outside and see if I can find him…” she said, summoning her cloak from the rack next to the front door.

“You shouldn’t go alone,” Hermione said. “It’s dark, and cold.”

“Oh, I’ll be fine…” Siobhan replied.

“Here, I’ll come with you,” Ron said with a smile, also summoning a cloak.

“Alright then, hurry up,” she said.

“I already have my cloak on,” Ron answered, pulling his second sleeve on and gesturing at Siobhan, who was still holding her own cloak. “How about you hurry up…?”

Siobhan rolled her eyes and walked towards the door as she pulled on her dark green cloak, Ron following her outside. Harry turned to Katie.

“You know, I still haven’t given you your gift yet,” he said quietly.

“I noticed,” Katie said with a grin.

“C’mon,” he said, standing up and tugging her hand, guiding her upstairs.

They reached Ron’s bedroom, and Harry strode over to his bed, Katie closely behind, and found the small package that was tucked safely in one of his robe pockets.
“Happy Christmas,” he said, handing it to her.

She smiled at him and opened the package.

“Oh, it’s beautiful “ ” Katie said with an awe-inspired sigh, holding up a blue neck ribbon with elaborate silver embroidery and a small silver teardrop.

“It’s… blue,” Harry said awkwardly.

“I can see that,” Katie said with a giggle,

“Well “ there’s a Muggle tradition for weddings,” Harry explained. “I asked Ron, and he said he’d never heard of it… but the bride is supposed to wear something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue… I thought this could be your ‘something blue.’”

“You want me to wear this… when we get married?” Katie asked.

“Er… yeah,” Harry said. “At least, I though “ I mean, you don’t have to if you don’t want to…”

“No, no “ oh, I’d love to. It’s just “ wow. It’s so real, isn’t it?” Katie asked. “ ‘When we get married…’”

“Yeah,” Harry said, smiling as he wrapped his arms around her. “But I think it has a nice ring to it, don’t you?”

“Definitely,” Katie agreed.

“Now, we should probably get back downstairs, or else Mrs Weasley will think we’re up to something.”

Katie raised her eyebrow, grinning mischievously, before agreeing reluctantly.

“Yes, I suppose we should,” she sighed, and they left the room, hand in hand, and headed for downstairs “ but were stopped by a muffled sound just above them.

“What was that?” Harry asked.

“It “ sounds like someone crying…” Katie said, looking concerned. “Should we go see if something’s wrong?”

Harry nodded, and instead of proceeding down the steps, they turned and went upward, stopping outside the door with the muffled sobs “ which turned out to be Mrs. Weasley’s room. Harry knocked apprehensively, and a few seconds later, Mrs Weasley opened her door, looking rather red-faced.
“Y-yes, dear?” she asked.

“We…er… we heard you…” Harry said, stopping himself from uttering the word ‘crying’. “And, we were worried.”

“Oh, me?” Mrs. Weasley said. “I’m just… upset. The first Christmas without Arthur, and without Ginny. It’s “ hard. But don’t you worry about me, dear. I’ll have a good cry, and I’ll be fine.”

Harry’s heart ached for her, and he felt Katie squeeze his hand.

“Are you sure there’s nothing we can do for you?” Katie asked softly.

“I’m sure,” Mrs Weasley said gently. “I’m just going to have a liedown, and think about Arthur and Ginny. I miss them, that’s all. I promise if I need someone, I’ll let you know.”

“Oh “ okay,” Harry said somewhat hesitantly, but he knew from experience that Mrs Weasley probably just needed some time to herself.

“Thank you for checking on me, though,” Mrs Weasley said, and she gave them both hugs before ushering them off. “Make some hot chocolate for everyone, will you?”

The returned downstairs and headed into the kitchen to get mugs of hot chocolate as Mrs Weasley had asked, and delivered them into the living room, where they were received with great welcome.

“Have the other three not come back in yet?” Katie asked, looking for Liam, Siobhan and Ron.

“No,” Bill said. “Don’t know what’s taking them.”

“I’ll go get them,” Harry said, and he headed out the back, stopping dead at the sight that greeted him.

“Ron “ Siobhan?” he asked breathlessly.

Quickly, the two of them parted lips. They had been standing under a tree, kissing.

“What’s going on?” Harry asked.

“Nothing, mate,” Ron said casually, and pointed upwards towards the tree branch, where some familiar looking leaves hung. “Mistletoe.”

“You’re telling me you just happened to walk under some mistletoe and have a quick, tradition upholding kiss as I stepped outside?”

“Liam’s taking his time coming down, so we were just standing talking “ I realised there was mistletoe above us “ and yes, you just happen to have fantastic timing,” Ron said defensively. “What’s the problem?”

“What about Hermione?” Harry spat, not noticing that Siobhan shrank further into the shadows of the tree.

“First of all, Hermione and I are not together, Harry,” Ron answered. “And second of all, it was just a kiss. You know how that goes, don’t you?”

Before Harry could respond, Liam and Clarimonde landed softly on the snow covered ground, and looked around curiously as he brought her to a freshly conjured shelter and tied her inside.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“Nothing,” Siobhan answered quietly, walking briskly back inside, Liam following in her wake.

“What’s the matter with you?” Ron asked.

“Nothing,” Harry said uncomfortably. “Sorry “ I know it shouldn’t even matter to me if that kiss was about more than… mistletoe. But “ it does. I just… can’t get used to this whole thing “ you and Hermione not together.”

Ron put his hand on Harry’s shoulder for a moment, and looked at him seriously.

“Get used to it,” he said honestly, before walking past Harry, towards the house after the others.

“Any chance it was… more?” Harry asked, turning around to face Ron.

Ron gave a little smile.

“Can’t say I didn’t enjoy it,” he replied. “Is that alright with you?”

“Yes… of course,” Harry said. “But… let’s get inside. It’s freezing out here “ and you have hot chocolate waiting for you inside.”

“Well, why didn’t you say that in the first place?” Ron said with a laugh, and they returned to the warmth of the Burrow.