Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Year Seven: Harry Potter & The Blood Debt by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Despite the recent closure of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy, the Ministry of Magic wishes to encourage all fifth and seventh year students to proceed with their O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. level exams. Course materials will be made available by owl to those who wish to continue studying their O.W.L. and N.E.W.T level subjects; course instruction will be the duty of parents/guardians or any other consenting qualified witch or wizard of the parent/guardians’ approval..

Testing locations are yet to be revealed, but will be available to students within the week of the test. This information is to remain undisclosed until that time for safety purposes.

The following Hogwarts professors are available to offer further help/instruction via owl to inquiring students/parents:

Prof. Alchemina “
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Prof. McGonagall “
Transfiguration
Prof. Flitwick “
Charms
Prof. Hagrid “
Care of Magical Creatures
Prof. Sinistra “
Astronomy
Prof. Vector “
Arithmancy
Prof. Nequam-
Ancient Runes
Prof. Binns “
History of Magic
Prof. Sprout “
Herbology
Prof. Trelawney “
Divination
Prof. Firenze “
Divination
Prof. Bagley “
Muggle Studies

*questions pertaining to the
Potions course may also be addressed to Professor Alchemina.

Thank you, and take care in this time of war.

Minister of Magic

Amelia Bones.

Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Minerva McGonagall.

Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Alexandria Alchemina



“Blimey “ Alex got Deputy Headmistress?” Ron said, reading from a piece of parchment identical to the one Harry held in his own hands.

“Looks like,” Harry said, feeling torn.

He couldn’t think of anyone more able for the job, of course, but her assuming what was once Professor McGonagall’s position was just a forceful reminder of the reasons why.

It was a strange and horrible thought, that Albus Dumbledore was no longer the Headmaster at Hogwarts. It was the only way Harry had ever known Hogwarts exist…

… then again, Hogwarts didn’t really exist anymore.

The Ministry had ordered that the premises be vacated, allowing Professors only enough time to collect the students’ belongings into their trunks and gather their own personal affects. The AMP had worn off and so, aided by magic, it only took a few days to get everyone’s things sorted out and sent off.

Now, the Great Hall lay in ruin. The castle and its grounds were barren, desolate “ more alone than they had been in a thousand years.

It would never be the same, Harry knew, for even when the school reopened “ not until the war had ended, for certain “ it would be scarred with the blood-stained broken stone and nightmares of the past. Years would pass and the wounds would fade, but the castle had changed. Harry would never return as a student, he would never again catch the Snitch for Gryffindor, nor would he sit with Ron and Hermione in their favourite set of armchairs, warmed by the common room fire. He would never again sit at his house table with a plentiful feast before him, waiting to see the twinkle in the blue eyes of Albus Dumbledore as he spoke to them from his place at the centre of the staff table.

“So, are you going to send off for your N.E.W.T stuff, then?” Ron asked.

“Why bother?” Harry replied tonelessly, tossing the parchment aside.

“Don’t let Hermione hear you saying that.”

“Saying what?” Hermione’s voice piped up as she and Katie entered the kitchen of Grimmauld Place to find the boys sitting disheveled over their breakfast plates.

“Just that I don’t see the point in taking my N.E.W.T’s,” Harry said uncaringly. “Got enough to worry about, really.”

“Oh, and I expect after you run off and kill Voldemort, you can sit back and live a hero’s life while I go to work every day?” Katie pointed out, her eyebrow arched threateningly.

“Alright, alright,” Harry said with a yawn and a bit of a grin. “I’ll send off for all the course stuff. And you know “ if you really think it’s that important, maybe you should be my teacher. You’re a qualified witch, after all. And should I misbehave, I can’t think of anyone I’d rather serve detention for “”

“Harry!” Katie snapped quickly, blushing and trying her best not to laugh.

“So, we’re still doing our N.E.W.T’s then?” Hermione asked, sitting down at the table and opening up the third envelope that had arrived, identical to the boys’ and addressed to her. “That’s a relief, I must say.”

“Relief,” Harry said dully. “That’s one word for it, I s’pose.”

“Oooh, Alex has been made Deputy Headmistress,” Hermione noted. “She’ll be wonderful…”

Harry heaved a loud sigh, not wanting to go back to his previous train of thought, and focused his thoughts attentively upon his stack of toast, deciding he very much enjoyed the taste of butter. He tuned out Hermione’s babbling and stared off into the empty space of the kitchen. He noticed Katie’s eyes lingering on him with concern in the midst of her trying to pay attention to Hermione, but she let him be. He was only interrupted when Mrs Weasley entered the kitchen with a scroll of parchement, which she gave to him.

“This just came for you by owl, Harry,” she said.

Harry unfurled it with little interest, but gave a small smile as saw how it was addressed and quickly realizing who it was from.

Potter,

After being in the midst of an attack, I find that sitting alone at home by myself is the epitome of boredom. Liam visits me from time to time “ his school in Ireland also closed down after what happened at Hogwarts “ but has things to do at his own estate, and can’t be here as often as he would like. That’s the real reason for this “ life is dull, and I need some entertainment. But, on the more polite front, I thought I’d repay all of you for your hospitality over the holidays, and invite you, Katie, Hermione and Ron to stay with me for a few nights.

I know that many people have concerns for your security “ the simple fact that I have no idea where this letter is actually going is evidence enough - but I can assure you the castle is safe, as my brother insisted I be well- protected after the circumstances of my mother’s death. Also, I noted there were personal guards at the Weasley’s home last Christmas; you may feel free to bring those along if you wish.

I understand if you decide to decline, but I thought I might as well write and ask.

Yours truly,
Siobhan Murphy


He looked up at Katie first, a little hesitant to ask her if she would be willing to go.

“Who’s that from?” she asked.

“Siobhan,” he said as casually as possible.

“What does she want?”

“Actually “ she invited the four of us to come stay with her for a few days,” he told her, then adding his own thoughts, “Sounds nice, I think “ I’d love to get out of this place. I feel like I can’t breathe, locked up here all the time.”

”If that’s how you feel, we could always go to my house,” Katie suggested.

“We do always go to your house,” Harry said, feeling slightly impatient. “Besides, Siobhan invited us. And she’s there all alone most of the time…”

“Except for her servants, no doubt,” Katie said, rolling her eyes.

“I wouldn’t consider servants good company. If she even has any. Look “ I’ll put it simply: I want to go. Do you want to go, or not?”

“Sure, fine,” Katie said tonelessly, shrugging and pouring herself some tea. “Whatever you want.”

Harry gritted his teeth, and then turned to Ron and Hermione. “And what about the two of you?”

Ron paused a moment, still looking uncomfortably at Harry and Katie, but shook himself and nodded. “Yeah, I’m all for it.”

“And I’ll go, too,” Hermione said, then added quietly, “Do you “ um… do you think her brother will be there? Liam, isn’t it?”

“Er, Harry said, glancing back at the letter. “He might be. She said he’s there from time to time. Why?”

“I was just wondering,” Hermione replied innocently, taking a sip from her teacup.

“Alright then,” Harry said, standing up. “Since we’re all going “ I’ll just write her back and tell her we’ll be there.”

“You do that,” Katie said, standing up herself. “And I should get to work.”

She strode across the kitchen, stopping to give Harry a small peck on the cheek. Before she could walk away from him, Harry grabbed her wrist and pulled her back to him, laying a soft kiss on her lips.

“Have a good day, love.”


______________


A week later, the four of them packed some of their things and Apparated to the location Siobhan had given for her home. They found themselves looking upon a beautiful stone castle at the centre of rolling green hills. It was not as grand as Hogwarts, certainly much smaller, but it was impressive in its own right.

Siobhan’s welcome was more polite then warm. She was modest to the point of insecurity when showing them into the castle. She had particular trouble with Hermione, who was full of marvel and awe.

“Do you know a lot of the history?” she asked, surveying everything with wide eyes.

“Yes, actually,” Siobhan said. “I’ve read all about it, we keep some records and books in the library.”

“In the library?” Hermione repeated gleefully. Ron, Katie and Harry all snorted with laughter.

“Yes,” Siobhan said, she smiled a bit, as though pleased with this particular part of her home, but averted her eyes from the group. “Would you like to see it?

“Oh, yes,” Hermione replied fervently.

Siobhan led the way, and Harry could not help but notice as Ron walked next to her, placing a hand on the small of her back. A little ripple of annoyance rushed through Harry’s veins, but he bit is lip and tried to ignore it.

That evening, they retired to the guest rooms, Harry and Katie with one for themselves. It was a lovely lush room. The bed had a magnificent looking frame, and was clothed in white blankets, soft to the touch. Harry and Katie each changed into bedclothes before curling up in the warm bed.

“You were right,” Katie said peacefully. “It’s nice to get away. Especially since we don’t know how much longer this is going to last…”

Harry sighed.

“Sorry.”

“No, it’s fine. I just wish I knew how much longer all this was going to last, too.”

He kissed her on the cheek and whispered ‘Nox’. The light disappeared from the room, and Harry closed his eyes, hearing nothing but Katie’s calm and steady breaths.

____________


The castle was chilled with a later winter draught the next morning when Harry woke up. Katie was still sleeping peacefully, and the last thing he felt like doing was waking her and getting up from the warmth of the bed. He watched Katie fondly for a few minutes before finally nudging her awake and muttering that they should get up - after all, it would hardly be polite to stay at someone's home and lay in bed all morning.

He pulled on one of his Weasley jumpers and put slippers on his feet, not wanting to walk across the cold stone, and he and Katie headed down to the breakfast table. Upoin sitting down, he was surprised to find that the morning had arrived along with a visitor: Liam.

“Morning,” Harry said. “Nice to meet you again.”

Liam just curtly and continued eating.

“He has such a lovely manner of speaking, doesn’t he?” Katie whispered in Harry’s ear with a giggle. Harry smiled and gave her a kiss.

“Could we not snog at the table?” Ron complained.

“Oh, like you were any different with Herm”” Harry’s mind was snagged by a jagged edge of the memory that no longer was. He quickly swallowed his words, clearing his throat awkwardly.

"Did you sleep well?" Siobhan inquired politely.

"Oh, wonderfully," Katie replied with earnest. "The bedroom was lovely."

"I'm glad," Siobhan said, smiling. There was something so formal about her airs, and it was more evident than ever that, despite her different views on purity, Siobhan had certainly heeded her pureblood upbringing. It felt rather odd to Harry to consider that she was very much like the Malfoys or the Blacks. Her world was certainly different than his own.

Hermione was the first to finish breakfast. She excused herself and disappeared, Harry assumed to the library. Liam was not long after her, excusing himself to go for a walk on the grounds.

“Your brother’s not very social, is he?” Katie asked, and Harry noticed she was being genuinely friendly with their hostess.

“No, he doesn’t talk much,” Siobhan said, then adding with a smirk. “Though, you might consider him to be highly sociable in the physical aspect.”

“Oh,” Katie said, her eyes widening in surprise. “Well, that’s… interesting.”

She gave a small giggle, and Harry rolled his eyes.

“Come on you, let’s walk around for a bit,” he said, standing up and tugging her arm.

“Maybe I don’t want to,” Katie teased.

“It’s Valentine's Day,” Harry said. “We should go for… er… a ‘romantic stroll’. I plan on making this Valentine's much nicer than last…”

“Shouldn’t be hard, since we weren’t speaking this time last year.”

“I was hoping you wouldn’t remember.”

Katie raised her eyebrow.

“Come on,” Harry said with a laugh.

“Fine,” she sighed, then turned to the two left at the table. “See the two of you later.”

They walked along the corridors of Siobhan’s home, looking at the paintings lining the walls. Most were of stern looking ancestors, all scowling at them as they walked past. There was a rather frightening depiction of a banshee, who looked as though she was howling horrifically. It had, thankfully, been silenced.

“Erm, Katie?” Harry said after a while.

“Yes?”

“Where are we?”

“Oh. I “ I don’t know, actually,” she said with a laugh. “But, it’s a small castle. I’m sure we’re not lost.”

“For long, at least.”

They walked down the end of the hall, looking for something familiar.

They found it, but not in a painting or a doorway “ in Ron and Siobhan, who were pressed up against the wall, their lips locked. Aggravation surged through Harry again, though this time it felt like a flare rather than a ripple.

“Excuse us,” Harry said loudly.

“Oh, Harry,” Ron said, spinning around quickly. He grinned. “Sorry, didn’t see you there.”

“How could you have?” Harry said bitterly.

Ron furrowed his brow looking confused, and unsure of how to respond.

“What’s the matter with you?”

Siobhan shifted uncomfortably and seemed to shrink into the shadow.

“Nothing, I’m fine,” Harry spat.

“Like hell you are,” Ron said, getting annoyed himself. “Tell me what’s the matter.”

“I’m sorry “ I can’t pretend it doesn’t bother me anymore,” Harry snapped.

“What?”

“You’re not supposed to be with Siobhan “ ”

“Harry…” Katie warned, pulling at his sleeve.

“And you know what? It’s me she fancies anyway, not you…”

Siobhan tensed up, glaring at Harry. She flushed a bit and looked away.

“First class you are, Potter,” she muttered before turning and storming through the door to the left and snapping it shut behind her.

“Harry, just stay out of it, will you?” Ron said in a tired voice, before stalking off in the opposite direction.

“What’s wrong with the lot of them?” Harry grumbled, turning to face Katie.

“What is wrong with you?” she snapped. “Why do you care so much?”

“Ron loves Hermione “ “

“But he’s with Siobhan.”

“Oh, do you see the two of them behaving like a proper couple? They’re just snogging…”

“It’s what they want then for Merlin’s sake, let them have it. Not everyone gets engaged when they’re seventeen, Harry. Most people don’t.”

“But it’s not what they want.”

“No! It’s not what you want. And I’m starting to think it’s less about Ron and Hermione and more about you and Siobhan.”

They came out like words long wanting to come forward, in a breathless torrent. Katie’s eyes dropped downwards uncomfortably for a moment. Then she looked back at Harry helplessly.

“You didn’t say ‘you’re supposed to be with Hermione,’ you said he’s not supposed to be with Siobhan,” Katie said tersely. “Do you have feelings for her?”

“Katie, stop being “ “

“Do you?”

“I’m not going to say I don’t care about her. She’s my friend…”

“Are you attracted to her?”

“No, of course not.” As he said it, he felt his stomach turn uncomfortably. “I love you.”

“If you we weren’t together, would you be interested in her? Would you be with her, right now, were it not for me?”

“But I am with you.”

“If you weren’t.”

Her bottom lip was trembling. Harry looked at her, unable to answer. He didn’t want to be with Siobhan, it was the truth. He was sincere in his commitment to Katie, and wanted nothing else than to keep his promise and marry her, and protect her forever. But an uncomfortable feeling settled in the base of his spine “ if he wasn’t with Katie, would he be with Siobhan, instead? Would he have kissed her back on Halloween? Would he be with her right then? He swallowed hard as he realised what the answer was.

“Harry…?”

“Why does it matter?” he asked quietly.

Katie wiped her cheek with her hand, cleaning away a tear Harry could not see, and gave a small, cold and hardened laugh.

“I suppose that’s my answer, isn’t it?”

“Katie “ ” he beckoned as she made to walk away from him, though he had no idea what he could possibly say to her after what he’d just practically admitted to.

“Happy Valentines Day, love,” she said bitterly, storming away.

Harry watched her retreat, then looked to the door, where the other girl he’d pissed off was hiding away. He gave a loud sigh, not sure that what he was thinking was a good idea, but realising that he owed Siobhan an apology, and that it wasn’t fair to deprive her of it because of his fight with Katie.

He hesitated by the door for a moment, for taking a deep breath and turning the handle, hoping desperately that Siobhan not had heard any of his exchange with Katie. His heart was pounding, and it was like jumping from a very high tower. He entered and closed the door quietly behind him, walking slowly into the room, not saying a word until he finally schlumped into an armchair next to where Siobhan was sitting, stony silent.

“Hey…” he muttered.

“Hey.”

There was a tense silence.

“Listen “ I”m a right git.”

“I agree.”

“Well, I can’t say you’re not supportive.”

“Potter, I apologise if I’m in the way here “ but you should know, it’s not me that’s keeping Ron and Hermione apart.”

“I know…” he replied, not really wanting to bring up what Katie had accused him of, and pleased to latch on to the other excuse for the earlier fight.

“And, I don’t really think Ron and I were exactly made for each other. We’re just lonely. Don’t get me wrong, I like him. Quite a bit. It’s nice to have someone, just for a little while, to make myself forget…”

“Forget what?”

“My past,” Siobhan sighed. “… and my future.”

Harry just looked at her sadly. He knew if he asked what the truth was, she wouldn’t answer. But he knew it had to be something awful, something that she was never going to bring herself to tell him.

“I don’t live for the same things you live for. I have no war to fight, or a life to make when everything is said and done. I only have a heartache and a past full of memories that torture me, yet that I would never want to forget. That, and a flickering hope that one day I will be happy again… that I will have a reason to fight or a person to love. Just something to live for.”

She sighed, and then looked back up to him.

‘Ron and I don’t have any serious romantic intentions, Potter,” she stated simply. “We’re both in love with other people.’

‘Who…?’

‘And it’s not you, don’t worry,” Siobhan said, a bit of a smile finally snaking onto her face.

The slight twist of guilt ebbed away, and was replaced by a torrent of curiosity. But he didn’t ask. She wouldn’t tell him.

“Ron’s still in love with Hermione?” he asked instead.

“Of course he is,” she answered with a laugh. “Though, I honestly don’t know if they’ll be together again, Potter. I know from experience that some problems just can’t be worked out. And, this is up to them. And, they might be more inclined to find their way back to each other if you stayed the hell out of it.”

“Thanks a lot,” Harry said dryly.

“Anytime.”

Harry’s eyes lingered on the shape of her lips for a moment, and it occurred to him he’d very much like to kiss her once more. He knew he couldn’t though. Nothing in the world was worth losing Katie, assuming that, in his utmost stupidity, he hadn’t done so already.