Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Year Seven: Harry Potter & The Blood Debt by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 6: Trusting Dumbledore

Harry filed into the entrance hall among the crowd of students. And found a seat on the Gryffindor House table towards the front, near the staff table. Harry scanned the table and saw it filled with the usual teachers, plus Alex; no surprises for the first time.

Harry was soon joined by Ron and Hermione, as well as Neville, Seamus and Dean.

“Nice to see you all,” Seamus greeted them. “Summer wasn’t too bad, I hope?”

“It was alright,” Ron told him.

There was an awkward silence on Dean’s part “ Ron, Hermione and Harry hadn’t spoken with him much since he and Ginny broke things off, and since her death, there had been even more tension between them.

There was a lot of chattering and murmuring, and Harry saw Hagrid walk in through the side chamber and take his place next to Professor Sprout. A few moments later, Professor McGonagall entered the Great Hall, and was followed by a line of tiny-first years. Harry spotted Ella immediately, the stars and moon from the enchanted ceiling where shining brilliantly on her silver hair. She looked much less nervous than the other first-years, and was walking with an elegant grace that reminded Harry strongly of Fleur. McGonagall placed a three-legged stool at the very front of the hall, and placed the raggedy sorting hat on its seat. It remained there for a moment, still in front of the trembling first-years, before it opened it’s ‘mouth’ and began to sing:

New students who are among us,
Where you’re housed, I will decide
So place me on your noggin,
And I’ll choose where you’ll reside.
Gryffindor is where you’ll go
If courage fills your heart;
Or Slytherin will be the place
If ambition is your art.
Hufflepuff could be your house
If loyalty is your trait;
And last, not least, there’s Ravenclaw
Where intellects find their fate.
Enjoy your new friends, and laugh and learn
Once you know where you belong
Because the closing day is upon us all
And here, we might not be for long.


The last sentence echoed in the deadly silent Hall. A few people stared open mouthed at the hat, and others looked frightened. Some students looked at one another in utter bewilderment. After a few moments, there was some weak applause.

Harry glanced up to Dumbledore and saw him cast a significant look at Professor McGonagall, who was tight-lipped. Even Snape looked a little bit worried, and Alex and Hagrid both looked somewhat horrified by the Hat’s closing remarks.

Professor McGonagall turned to face the students and unfurled a scroll that she was holding, and began promptly with the first student.

“Adams, Molly.”

Harry turned to face Ron and Hermione, who were across the table from him.

“What do you think of the song?” he asked quietly.

“RAVENCLAW!”

“Doesn’t sound too good, does it?” Ron said warily.

“Bryce, Titanus”

“It’s unusual,” Hermione said. “I mean, warning us of danger is one thing, but ‘here, we might not be for long’? It’s not exactly something the younger students need to hear, is it?”

“SLYTHERIN!”

“Unless it knows something we don’t…” Harry said.

“…what could it know that we don’t?” Ron asked.

“Crystalinne, Chrys”

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

“It knows whatever Dumbledore talks about in his office…” Hermione said.

“Which is a quite a bit, I’d wager…” Harry said.

“Delacour, Gabrielle.”

Harry, Ron and Hermione turned to watch as Ella strode gracefully up to the front of the students and sat down as the hat was placed carefully on her head. The hat took a good few moments, pondering thoughtfully as it sat upon her head, before “

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Harry, Ron and Hermione applauded loudest for Ella as she took a seat next the three of them.

“Finnegan, Connor.”

A short, sandy-haired boy with milky, freckled skin strode up a bit nervously to the sorting hat stool and sat upon it, where McGonagall placed the hat upon is small head.

“Is that your brother, Seamus?” Hermione asked quietly.

“Yep,” Seamus said, not taking his eyes off his little brother as he waited for him to be sorted.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

All the Gryffindors applauded loudly again, and Seamus gave a cheer as little Connor took his seat at the table. After Ella and Connor had been sorted, the line of first years seemed to dwindle progressively slower. Harry and Ron took out a bit of spare parchment and began to play hangman as they waited. Hermione threw them a few scathing looks, but Ron calmed her by giving her a kiss on the cheek every few minutes. It had gotten to the point where Hermione was playing hangman, too, when she looked up and whispered.

“Only two students left!”

"White, Julia."

A stormy-blue eyed girl with copper hair anxiously approached the stool and took a seat, where McGonagall promptly placed the Sorting hat on her head of copper-hair. A few moments later:

“GRYFFINDOR!"

She gave a sigh of relief, and strode happily over to sit with the Gryffindors.

“Will, Alianna.”

The last student, a girl with long black hair, and striking green eyes moved up anxiously to the stool. The hat was placed on her head and she bit her lip as she waited.

“RAVENCLAW!"

Harry applauded with the rest of the Gryffindors as Alianna took her seat at the Ravenclaw table, where Harry saw Luna give her a welcoming smile. Then Dumbledore stood up and the hall fell respectfully silent.

“Welcome, everyone,” he said. “I do not want to keep you too long from the delectable feast that awaits you, so I’ll try to keep it short. Nobody is allowed in the Forbidden Forest; do try to remember that this year. I’m sure most of you have heard that Professor Alexandria Alchemina will be our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher this year, if not “ well, there you have it.”

He stopped for a moment, and nodded to Alex, who stood up and smiled warmly at all the students, who applauded happily for her. Alex sat down, and everyone looked back at Dumbledore, whose face gravened. His next words were delicate but serious.

“As you all must be fully aware, there is a war raging outside our castle walls. I know many of you have already lost loved ones to the violence…

Dumbledore took a small pause, and looked softly out into the mass of students. Harry felt a surge of anger, and he saw Ron bite his lip and fumble tremulously with the end of his robe sleeve. Hermione, whose eyes were watery, took his hand in hers as Dumbledore continued.

“I want you to know that all your professors, as well as myself, are here if you ever need to talk. I am sure your classmates are equally ready to offer consoling thoughts and words when you are in need. Also remember to be there for your classmates who are in need, whether you’ve known them since the moment you walked through the Entrance Hall doors, or merely knock into them while trying to run from Mr. Filch. We must be strong for one another.”

He smiled consolingly at them all.

“With that said have a good year “ I truly hope it will be excellent and that your minds will be enveloped in a magical world of knowledge and understanding. Tuck in!”

“Well, that was done tastefully,” Hermione said, regaining her composure as the golden plates before them filled with a bounty of food. Ron cleared his throat in response as he began to eat. Harry felt a bit annoyed with Hermione’s comment but put it aside as he dumped mashed potatoes onto his plate and thought angrily of Voldemort and his Death Eaters, namely Bellatrix and Lucius.

The three of them ate silently while the students around them chattered quietly. Next to them Ella was talking animatedly to Connor, and Seamus was throwing proud looks over at his little brother as he had a conversation with Neville. Dean was sitting just as silently as Ron, Hermione and Harry, and was prodding his food dully with his fork.

“It’s a shame we don’t have Katie with us this year,” Hermione said finally.

Harry couldn’t help but feel his anger evaporate slightly, and a small smile crept onto his face as the image of Katie flooded his thoughts.

“Yeah, I miss her already,” he sighed.

“What’s with the smile?” Hermione asked, raising her eyebrow as she grinned slightly.

“Nothing,” Harry told her. “Just like thinking of her, is all…” he said.

Harry looked up at Ron, who was still not eating with his usual fervor.

“So, looking forward to Quidditch this year, Ron?” Harry asked him.

Ron looked up from his food, and stared blankly at Harry.

“What “ oh… umm, yeah…” he said quietly.

There was something strange about his answer, and Hermione gave him a concerned look, but Harry summed it up to him being upset by the reminder of the loss of Ginny and left him to eat in peace. Finally, when Harry was full to bursting with food, the feast ended and Dumbledore sent them to their common rooms with only a few more words. Ron and Hermione rushed to the exit of the Great Hall to head of the students and direct them appropriately. Harry watched Ron as he helped a younger student find his way to a House prefect, and told off a few boys for shooting Tickling Charms at a group of girls. He was taking his Head Boy Duties seriously; giving Hermione a run for her money even.

Harry was glad for him; it would help Ron to have something else to occupy himself with. Harry strolled tiredly up to the common room amidst the crowds of students. He noticed a few of the new first years taking curious glances at him, and pointing at his scar as was usual. It didn’t bother him, anymore. A prefect gave the Fat Lady the password (“Towering Turret”) and Harry walked into the familiar warmth of the Gryffindor common room. He nodded hello’s to some friends, including Lavender, Parvati, and Euan Abercrombie (a third-year who played Chaser for the Gryffindor Quidditch Team), before heading up the staircase to his dormitory.

He automatically crossed to his bed and pulled out a quill, some parchment and some ink and wrote a letter to Katie.

Dear Katie,

Just got back to the common room from the feast. Ella was sorted into Gryffindor, as was Seamus’s younger brother, Connor. The Sorting Hat’s song was a bit disconcerting “ something about how ‘closing day is upon us and we might not be here for long’. Dumbledore’s speech upset us a bit, reminding us of Ginny. I was reminded of you, though, and I felt better. Euan says hello. I miss you already. Hope you’re doing well; I can’t wait to see you again.

Love always, Harry


Harry folded the parchment and put it in the top most drawer of his dresser, making a mental note to send it to London with Hedwig first thing the next morning. He then lay down on his bed, not quite ready to turn in for the night, though he felt exhausted. Dean, Seamus, and Neville soon entered the room, Dean still awkwardly silent. Harry felt a small pang of guilt, but it quickly went away with thoughts of Dean’s selfish attitude towards Ginny in the last months of her life.

He changed into his pajamas, said goodnight to the others and removed his glasses. He glanced to the window letting in the soft moonlight, and for a moment felt frightened as to what might be going on outside the castle walls. Harry knew it would be foolish to assume this year would be any less eventful than any year before.

Take it as it comes, a voice in his head told him. The voice sounded as though it belonged to Katie. Harry felt slightly reassured as he drew his hangings closed and lay down in his bed, falling fast asleep before Ron had even gotten to the dormitory.

-

Harry woke up quite sleepily the next morning. He could still hear Neville’s snores filling the room, and there was a quiet sound of muttered conversation between Seamus and Dean.

“I’m sure if you just say something to them…”

“I don’t think so, Seamus. I kind of think I deserve it, actually “ after what happened with Gin and me…”

Harry felt another pang of guilt, but this time instead of pushing it away, Dumbledore’s words from the feast rang in his mind. Dean must have felt something for Ginny at one time, and he had obviously still cared for her after they went their separate ways. He was also obviously still hurting from her death. They were supposed to be helping each other through loss, but instead they were making it more painful for one another.

Harry changed into his school robes, and took his letter to Katie from his dresser and strode across the room to Dean and Seamus.

“Listen, Dean,” Harry said. “I’m sorry about everything “ with Ginny, and all. I don’t want to hold a grudge, or anything. It’s not right…”

Dean looked slightly taken aback, but nodded gratefully.

“Thanks Harry,” he said. “And, I’m really sorry about Ginny. I know she was like a sister to you…”

“Yeah… it’s not the same without her, really…” he replied.

“And I shouldn’t have been so pushy with her,” Dean continued. “She said she didn’t need a boyfriend, and I “ well, I probably should have understood. Especially after how I handled the break-up…”

“S’alright, mate,” Harry said. “Don’t beat yourself up over it…”

The three stood quietly, the soft silence punctuated by Neville’s loud snores.

“So, how about you and Lavender, then?” Harry asked Seamus.

“Didn’t work out…” Seamus said.

“Oh, that’s too bad,” Harry told him.

“Nah “ I have my eye on a blonde from Ravenclaw…”

“Good luck with that,” Harry said.

“And what about you and Katie?” Dean asked.

“Better than ever,” Harry told them, the familiar smile creeping back to his face. “Just off to the Owlery now to send her a letter, actually.”

“Well, we should let you get to it then,” Seamus told him.

Harry nodded and grinned before heading for the exit.

“Oh, and do wake Neville up, or he’ll be late for class…” he said, before finally leaving. He quickly headed to the Owlery, giving Hedwig the letter and stroking her feathers before sending her off. He then rushed down to the Great Hall for breakfast.

He found Ron and Hermione already sitting eating breakfast together at the Gryffindor table. He took a seat next to them and quickly took a few pieces of toast.

“Morning…” he said to them.

“Morning,” they replied together. Harry grinned; he had now grown used to Hermione and Ron talking in unison often, but he still found it entertaining.

“Sleep well?” Hermione asked him.

“Fantastic, actually…” Harry told her. “Oh, and I had a bit of a chat with Dean…”

“Really?” Hermione asked. She and Ron both looked from their breakfasts to him.

“Yeah “ I felt a bit bad for him, you know. Hasn’t said anything since we got back,” Harry told them. “Thought maybe it would be better to be a bit more understanding…”

“That was very diplomatic of you, Harry…” Hermione told him. Ron rolled his eyes.

“What’d he say?” Ron asked.

“Well, he felt a bit bad over the whole situation really…” Harry said.

“He should,” Ron said. Hermione raised her eyebrow.

“Well, he does. So let’s just leave it at that “ there’s enough going on without us being mad at one another…”

“S’pose you’re right,” Ron sighed.

“I always am,” Hermione told him with a grin.

There was a sound of fluttering wings above them, and a tawny brown owl landed lightly in front of Hermione with the Daily Prophet. She paid it and it took off towards the sky-blue ceiling. Hermione unrolled the paper, and immediately groaned.

“What is it now?” Harry asked, already prepared for the worst.

“Rita Skeeter…” Hermione said, still scanning the words on the front page.

Harry felt slightly panicked for a moment “ Rita had always shown an interest in Harry’s love life, and the last thing he needed was a front page article announcing his engagement to Katie. He wasn’t exactly relieved, however, when Hermione began to read the article:

HOGWARTS: NOT SO SAFE

Death Eaters on the grounds; eight students abducted, henchmen working for He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named teaching classes “ these are just a few instances that have taken place at Hogwart’s School Of Witchcraft and Wizardry. And that was last year alone.

The new school term at Hogwarts has begun, and with a war in full swing with mounting death tolls, parents should be asking themselves one important question: how safe are the students at Hogwarts?

“Hogwarts has always been regarded as one of the safest places in the wizarding world,” concerned parent Gladys Macbeth said. “But it’s become clear that it’s not quite as danger-free as we’ve believed.”

Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts, is known to be the only wizard ever feared by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. It is clear, however, that this hasn’t stopped him from executing several schemes of death and conspiracy right under the Headmaster’s crooked nose.

“Albus Dumbledore’s efforts in protecting the students at his school are unending,” Deputy Headmistress Minerva McGonagall said. “If as many attacks were launched on any other premises in Britain, or anywhere for that matter, there wouldn’t be much left of the people involved. But our students remain unharmed. The safety of the school is unquestionable.”

McGonagall failed to consider recent deaths of Cedric Diggory and Ginevra Weasley…”


Hermione trailed off, and laid the paper upside down on the table. She looked thoroughly disgusted.

“I can’t believe she’s using Ginny’s death against Dumbledore,” she said.

“Well, she’s not exactly wrong, is she?” Ron said.

Harry was taken aback, but realized quickly that Ron was right. Rita’s report had been no different than what he had been thinking himself only a few days ago. He no longer felt safe at Hogwarts.

“What do you mean, she’s right?” Hermione asked.

“Hogwart’s isn’t exactly safe,” Harry answered.

“So the two of you agree with this, then?” Hermione asked them.

Ron and Harry looked to each other for a moment, then back to her.

“Yeah,” Ron said.

“Pretty much,” Harry said.

“But, how can you…?”

“Think about it, Hermione,” Harry said. “Nothing against Dumbledore or anything “ but he doesn’t always know what’s going on around here. And we’ve been put in danger because of it…”

“And we’re not to blame at all?” Hermione asked.

“If we had sat around and been good little kids all these years, it wouldn’t have changed anything,” Ron said. “Quirrell would still have Voldemort sticking from the back of his head “ and it’s lucky Sirius wasn’t really a murdering lunatic, because he had plenty of chances to do in Harry…”

“And Barty Crouch paraded around as Moody for a year,” Harry added. “ And are we supposed to take the blame for assuming that rock wasn’t a Portkey that would transport us to Voldemort’s Headquarters?”

Hermione bit her lip. She was usually right, but it was clear that her she had been beat here.

“We know you have this unwavering trust for Dumbledore, Hermione,” Harry said. “But face it… the man’s not perfect…”

Hermione looked reluctant to admit to this; she glanced up to the Headmaster who was talking quietly to Alex over breakfast. She then turned back to her breakfast without a word.