Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Year Seven: Harry Potter & The Blood Debt by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Everyone is suggesting *names* in their reviews, and requesting that Harry does not use *AK* on Voldemort; I'd like to point out that there's really no purpose as I've already planned the entire story. These aspects of the story is very important to the plot and when people make *suggestions* as to how I should end the story, it kind of takes some of the fun out of it. *hehe* it also makes me wonder if you guys trust my writing skills.

Feel free to make guesses or fluff requests, but know that the plot is all set in stone.

Chapter 9: Letters over Breakfast

Harry found that the rest of his first week at Hogwarts passed rather slowly. His mind was constantly weighed down with his conversation with Ron and Hermione, and none of them had even had a chance to learn more about another way to defeat Voldemort. The weekend had been devoted to more research and essays for classes, as well as a rigorous ‘practical application’ of their defense skills with Alex. Even Hagrid’s classes were more challenging for their N.E.W.T. year. To make things worse, Harry had written to Katie three times already, and had not received a single owl in return.

Sunday night, as he tried to focus his thoughts on anything but Katie or Voldemort, Harry conjured a Death Eater dummy in his dormitory, and laid his wand on his bed to practice his remote Stunning Spell.

“Stupefy!”

The jet of light shot towards the dummy, but missed by a few inches and, instead, hit a plant Neville had sitting on his bedside dresser, shattering the pot it was in. Harry sighed and walked over to the plant, repairing it with a quick wave of his wand. He returned to where he was standing and tried again. He focused on the dummy, but instead of focusing on it, his mind was flooded with thoughts of Katie. He remembered the time he had taken her out onto the grounds under his invisibility cloak at midnight to see the Mooncalf.

Why hasn’t she written?

Harry told himself that it had only been a week; that she was probably just busy, but he couldn’t stop thinking about her. What if something had happened? Harry reassured himself; surely it would be in the Daily Prophet, or Mrs. Weasley would send him an owl, if something had gone wrong. Maybe Katie just had nothing to say to him.

Harry shook from his thoughts, telling himself he was being ridiculous, and tried to focus on the task at hand.

Stupefy!”

He did not focus enough, however, because the jet of red light shot towards him and stunned him. He fell to the floor with a thud, unconscious. A few minutes later he awoke to Hermione’s face above him; she looked a little puffy eyed, but she was grinning.

“You stunned yourself again, didn’t you?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Harry groaned, as she helped him up.

“You should have seen Hermione when we came in…” Ron told him. “She started panicking, went mad “ thought someone had gotten into the castle and attacked you. Bawling like a baby…”

“At least I didn’t try to attack the dummy…” Hermione scoffed, and Ron’s ears turned pink.

“Why were the two of you up here, anyway?” Harry asked.

“Looking for you, mate…” Ron muttered, unconvincingly.

“Perhaps you shouldn’t be doing this while you’re alone, Harry,” Hermione said quickly.

“Probably good advice,” Harry said, Vanishing the dummy. “I was doing fine, though “ I just got a bit distracted…”

“Thinking about Katie?” Hermione prodded.

“How do you do that?” Harry asked, sitting on his bed and rubbing the back of his neck, which was sore from being stunned.

“It’s obvious “ you’ve written her three times, and she hasn’t written you…” Hermione explained.

“Don’t remind me…”

“She’s probably just busy,” Ron said.

Too busy for her fiancé? Harry thought to himself

“Yeah, you’re right,” he said out loud.

Hermione looked at him suspiciously.

“Is there something else going on?” she asked. “With you and Katie?”

“No, of course not “ why would you think that?” Harry said a little too quickly.

“No reason,” Hermione replied casually.

“I’m going to bed,” Harry said.

“Good night then,” Hermione said, not moving. Harry stared at her.

“Do you mind?” he asked.

“Not at all “ go right ahead…”

“I have to change!”

“Oh “ fine,” Hermione said, and she stood up and kissed Ron goodnight. “I’ll see you both in the morning…”

She left the room and Harry began to change.

“So you’re going to bed then?” Ron asked.

“Yes “ I’m going to bed…”

“You don’t want to stay up and talk a bit?” Ron asked uncomfortably.

Harry stopped at looked up at Ron.

“Is there something you want to talk about, mate?” he asked.

“No, no,” Ron replied. “Just… I’m not really tired.”

Harry looked at him; his eyes had dark circles underneath them, and his skin was pale. It was obvious that Ron was very tired indeed. Harry realized that since they had arrived back at school, Harry had been asleep every night before Ron had even come to the room.

“I could stay up…”

“No, it’s fine, really…” Ron said. “I should probably get some sleep, myself.”

“You’re sure?” Harry asked hesitantly, sensing something was really wrong.

“I’m sure,” Ron said firmly.

“Alright then, night…” Harry said finally, and he climbed into his bed, closing his hangings around him. He drifted off to sleep rather quickly, and found himself in a pleasant dream, sitting with Katie. They were talking and laughing when suddenly Harry realized that Katie was in a wedding dress. He looked down to find that he was wearing a jumper and jeans.

Why aren’t you ready for the wedding?” Katie asked.

I’m sorry Katie “ I have to kill Voldemort first…” he said.

You should have done that a long time ago, Harry…” a voice said.

Harry turned and saw Ron; there were brains floating around him, and he was holding an unconscious Hermione. Ginny was lying on the floor dead, next to Mr. Weasley, Mrs. Bell and Krum. Beside the four of them was Sirius’s portrait, in which Sirius was performing a jig.

I’m sorry “ I don’t know how…” Harry panicked.

How hard can it be, Potter?” another new voice asked. Harry wheeled around and saw Bellatrix walking towards him, flanked with hooded Death Eaters. “Surely you can take pleasure in killing your enemies “ I can teach you…”

“NO!”
Harry shouted.

Alex flew in on a broom, and waved her wand over the Death Eaters, who all moved quickly towards Harry. Bellatrix moved towards Ron, Hermione and Katie. Harry tried to stun her but realized his wand was missing. He saw it lying next to Ginny, and quickly shouted “STUPEFY!”, but the light that issued from his wand was green. It hit Bellatrix and she fell to the floor dead. Harry felt sick. He had murdered someone.

What’s the matter, mate?” Ron asked, Voldemort’s voice hissing from his mouth, as he narrowed his eyes on Harry. “You hated her, didn’t you “ she deserved to die, didn’t she? She killed Sirius, she killed Ginny - she killed Katie…”

What?” Harry sobbed. He turned and saw Katie sprawled across the floor, still in her wedding dress, blood blossoming over the soft white.

Harry woke up screaming, sweat pouring down his face; bright light hit his eyes and blurry figures gathered around him as he struggled for breath.

“You alright, Harry?” he heard Seamus ask.

Harry took a few deep breaths and fumbled for his glasses on his bedside dresser.

“It was a nightmare,” Harry said breathlessly as he put on his glasses. “Just a bad dream, is all. I’m fine…What time is it?”

“Six…” Neville told him.

“In the morning?” Harry asked.

“Yes…” Dean answered.

Harry looked over to Ron’s bed “ he was gone.

“Where’s Ron?” he asked Neville, Seamus and Dean.

“Dunno “ maybe he had to get up early,” Dean said. “We all got up when we heard you screaming… sure you’re alright?”

“I’m fine…” Harry told them again. He got out of bed. “I think I’ll have a shower…”

The other three nodded and returned to their own beds. Harry grabbed a bathrobe and headed for the showers, still hearing the voices from his dream echoing in his mind.

Harry had a long shower, and by the time he returned to the common room, everyone was heading down for breakfast. Harry found Ron alone in the dormitory putting on his tie and badge.

“Where’ve you been?” Ron asked him.

“I should ask you the same question…” Harry replied.

“Got up early, thought I’d take a stroll, have a nice cold shower…” Ron answered.

“I had a shower myself - didn’t see you in the bathroom,” Harry said casually.

“I used the Head Boy bathroom,” Ron told him. “So… why were you up so early?”

“Had a bad dream,” Harry told him.

“All better now, I hope?” Ron asked, grabbing his book bag. He turned around, and Harry saw the circles under his eyes were darker, and he was paler still than the night before.

“Yeah…I’m fine…” Harry said slowly.

“Downstairs for a spot of breakfast, then?” Ron said brightly.

“Let me just get my things,” Harry told him, and he strode across to his bed and picked up his book bag before he and Ron left the dormitory. They met Hermione in the common room, left through the portrait hole, and went downstairs to the Great Hall.

“You look awfully tired, Ron,” Hermione said as the sat down at the table, and she began buttering some toast for him.

“Oh, just classes and Head Duties getting to me I suppose,” Ron said. “Can I have some marmalade please?”

“Of course,” she replied sweetly, spreading some marmalade on the toast. “Are you sleeping alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine, don’t worry,” he answered. “Thanks.”

He took a plate that she had stacked with five slices of toast for him and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Well, have some tea at least…” Hermione said, not waiting for him to respond as she poured him a steaming cup of tea. “It should make you feel better…”

Harry watched them with a slight feeling of envy, wishing Katie was there with him, when quite suddenly two owls fluttered down upon him. One was a snowy white, like Hedwig, and the other was a dark brown one, which he recognized as Aderyn, Lupin’s owl from Manchester. Harry quickly untied the letters from each owl, which promptly flew off. He immediately recognized the handwriting on the outside of the envelope the snowy white had given him; Katie had finally written him. He quickly opened it and began to read.

Dear Harry,

I am so very sorry I did not write sooner, but things are very hectic around here. I cannot say much, but the Order is dealing with a rather large problem and everyone, including Dad and Libby, is very caught up in it. Even when I got away from my Healer Training, I was unable to sit down and write to because of all the madness that’s taken over due to this… situation. I have to admit it has been very distressing for all of us, and I’m quite upset with some decisions being made, especially by my father.

Anyway “ training is going rather well, I’m learning loads. Cho says hello, by the way. I have not yet told anybody about you-know-what. I visited Grimmauld Place earlier in the week; Bill and Fleur had their first marital spat - something involving a butter dish, I believe. Marriage sounds fun, doesn’t it?

I miss you horribly, and can’t wait for your first trip to Hogsmeade so I can see you again, and actually talk to you. Say hello to Ron, Hermione and everyone else for me.

All my love,

Katie

P.S. My letter was delivered by my new owl, Hermann. He’s beautiful, isn’t he? Perhaps he and Hedwig can be friends when you get back from school.


Harry smiled to himself happily for a moment. He was very relieved about the reason Katie had for not writing sooner, though he couldn’t help but wonder what could possibly be going on with the Order.

“Katie says hello,” he told Ron and Hermione.

“So she’s alright then?” Ron asked.

“Yes, she’s fine,” Harry told him. “But she’s upset over something… said there’s something going on with the Order; some kind of problem…”

“Wonder what that could be…” Hermione pondered seriously.

Harry quickly turned to his other letter, which he already knew to be from Lupin.

Dear Harry,

Hope you’re doing well; Alex told me about your Stunning Spells. I do hope you improve, though let me say, it’s amazing you’re able to do as much as you can already.

The program here is going excellently; there might be some hope after all. I hope I’m able to visit London soon, though; I miss all the familiar faces.

There isn’t much else to report, just thought I’d drop you a line. Say hello to Ron and Hermione for me.

Keep working hard, and stay strong.

Sincerely,

Remus Lupin


“Lupin says hello, too,” Harry told Ron and Hermione.

“Oh “ is he doing well?” Hermione asked.

“Says things are going brilliantly…” Harry replied.

“That’s good,” said Ron.

Another owl landed next to the three of them, this time delivering Hermione her Daily Prophet. She quickly paid the owl and picked up the paper.

“Another three Death Eaters were found killed,” she said.

“Tell me they included Lucius and Bellatrix…” Ron muttered.

“We should be so lucky,” Harry added.

“No, just another three I’ve never heard of… Rosen Krantz and Guilden Stern were found yesterday evening, and another “ Shannon Murphy “ was found early this morning…”

“It’s a shame,” Ron sighed sadly. “Oh, no, wait “ it’s not.”

“You should take this more seriously, Ronald,” Hermione told him. “You don’t think it’s a bit strange? Death Eaters turning up murdered?”

“Voldemort probably got rid of them because they were more trouble than they were worth…” Harry said darkly.

“That might be true…” Hermione said. “Still, you’d think we’d have learned by now not to take anything at face value.”

Harry considered what Hermione was saying just a fourth owl, who they all recognized as Hermes, fluttered down to the table; it landed gracefully and stuck it’s leg out to Ron promptly. Ron quickly untied the letter, and Hermes ruffled his feathers importantly and took off again, rather pompously.

“You’d never guess that was Percy’s owl,” Harry joked as Ron read his letter.

“Bloody hell!” Ron said.

“What is it?” Hermione asked anxiously.

“Fleur and Bill are having a baby…” Ron said slowly, looking up from the letter to see their reactions. Harry’s mouth dropped open in surprise, but Hermione didn’t even take a moment to react to the news.

“That’s wonderful news!” she squealed. “Oh “ I bet the baby will have Fleur’s eyes and skin, and Bill’s hair. It will be so adorable “ I can’t wait… Oh, aren’t you excited, Ronald? I wonder if it will be a boy or a girl…”

Hermione looked thoroughly overjoyed, and Ron was still awestruck; Harry, meanwhile, was still recovering himself. This was huge news. Slowly, a small smile crept onto Ron’s face.

“I’m going to be an uncle.”