Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Girl Who Lived by mrsgeorgeweasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: if anyone wants I copy of the timetable I worked out for Harry, Ron and Hermione then I’d be happy to send it to you. I’d like to apologise in advance for the Sorting Hat’s song- poetry was never really my forte. Happy reading.

The warmth of the Entrance Hall welcomed them as the hundreds of students clad in black robes climbed the stairs. Somehow, Ellie had managed to make it up to the castle before them.

“Right you four, behave yourselves, look out for each other and most importantly have fun. This year should be very, very interesting for you all,” she said cryptically.

“Why’s that then?” Ginny pounced on her.

“You’ll see. Hello Professor Snape, how are you?” she drew her gaze away from them and focused on the pale figure several feet behind them.

“Fine thank you Elizabeth,” he answered her with a surprising amount of coldness in his voice.

“Very glad to hear it,” she replied as though she hadn’t sensed his tone. She once again concentrated on the four in front of her. “Like I said look after each other,” a change came into her tone as Malfoy walked past, “Don’t trust anyone that you’re not 100% certain is on our side. I’ve got to be going, I’m supposed to see my granddad before the welcome feast,” she smiled at them all and set off towards the Head’s office with the air of someone who was well accustomed to the school hallways.

“Come on Harry, I’m hungry,” Ron tugged him in the direction of the Great Hall.

They all sat patiently waiting for the first years to file in and for Professor McGonagall to fetch the sorting hat and stool. As they did the main topic of conversation was that there was still an empty seat at the table. Dumbledore had emerged a few minutes after their arrival but there was still a teacher missing. After 10 minutes or so Professor McGonagall appeared with the hat and stool and a group of terrified first years. She at the hat on the stool and the entire hall waited for it’s new song;

“Many, Many years ago
When these walls were first established,
Came our famous founders four
Their wits and powers matchless.

There was Gryffindor the valiant,
Who took the bold of heart,
He showed the praise and glory,
Awaiting those as true as darts.

Dear Hufflepuff the honourable,
Took those faithful toil was surest,
She showed of great rewards,
For those whose dedication is purest.

And of course shrewd Ravenclaw,
Took those with intellect clear,
She showed that those of knowledge,
Never, ever fear.

Last of all that Slytherin so crafty,
Took those whose lineage was pedigree,
He himself showed the notoriety,
Awaiting those of great ability.

And so now I shall divide you,
Even though I fear it’s wrong,
For the danger edges closer,
And dear Hogwarts must go on.

The answer is within us,
If we just look amongst the hordes,
We cannot win the battle,
If our fight comes in different sorts.

One of our number will lead,
And the rest must learn to follow,
To understand and take orders,
Or we will all feel the sorrow!”


As the hat fell silent muttering started up around the hall and several DA members were looking at Harry significantly.

“Give it credit though, it knows its stuff,” Ron pitched in.

“Yeah, I think its been listening to too many conversations that it shouldn’t,” Harry glanced up at the hat bitterly. They returned to silence as each new student was called up and they were sorted. Naturally they cheered the loudest for the new Gryffindors. Eventually the sorting was over they ate heartily until Ron actually pronounced that he felt sick. As the conversation died down the headmaster rose from his seat.

“I promise not to keep you all much longer. But I would like to say to those of you new to Hogwarts, Welcome! To those of you who are old hands, Welcome Back! Now that you have all been rested over the holidays it is time to start the rigmarole all over again. Now I have heard many of you talking over our delicious dinner about who the new Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher may be. As you can see there is an empty chair,” he indicated the chair to his left that was normally filled by Professor Flitwick.

“The post has been filled but they were unable to make our feast tonight. It would be inappropriate to introduce them in their absence so that will wait until tomorrow evening, so you had best make sure you’re all here for dinner. But you lucky Sixth years will be introduced to them first thing tomorrow when you have your first Advanced Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson. Now for the rest of the start of term notices, I would like to remind everyone and cannot emphasise enough that the Forest in the grounds is strictly forbidden and a terrible fate could befall anyone who doesn’t heed my warning. I would also like to inform everyone on behalf of our caretaker Mr. Filch that several of the products from Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes are now on the list of prohibited items, which can be found on Mr. Filch’s office door so feel free to check it. Anyhow, I know you are all tired and full, and no doubt want to get to your dormitories in order to be wide awake in tomorrow’s classes, so I won’t detain you any further. Good Luck!” he raised his hands into the air and the doors to the great hall swung open accommodating the flow of the very tired but contented students. Many people were whispering to each other including Hermione who was deep in conversation with Lavender Brown about who the new teacher was likely to be.

The next morning when Harry, Ron and Hermione emerged for breakfast the hall was gently humming with talk amongst the sixth years that were taking Defence. Professor McGonagall handed out their timetables and they were dismayed to find that once again they would have double Potions just before lunch on a Monday, first on a Wednesday morning, and last thing on a Friday.

Almost twenty minutes before the class even started everyone was lined up outside the classroom. Gryffindors made up almost half the class there was approximately an equal number of Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs and a handful of Slytherins including, much to Harry’s disgust, Draco Malfoy. With ten minutes to go till the start of class the classroom door mysteriously swung open admitting those who were lined up outside. They all entered suspiciously and chose their places, as usual the Slytherins sat as close to the back as they could without looking odd. The rest of the class moved as near to the front as they could get, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville managed to get seats in the front row. Once they were all seated the door swung shut again, Hermione grasped Ron’s hand out of nerves.

They sat in silence until nine o’clock on the dot when the door once again opened and admitted a hasty blur of cloak and hair that headed for the front of the class. Because of the speed that they were walking at their hair was blown across their face and no one could get a good look at them. “Wands away,” was the gentle command. Everyone watched transfixed as she stood with her back to the class, fussing with some books. Harry watched as her hair swung slowly from side to side there was something very familiar about that hair and that voice.

“But Professor this is Advanced Defence Against the Dark Arts,” Ron complained.

“Yes thank you Mr. Weasley, I am aware what class this is,” their three jaws dropped as Elizabeth turned to face them. Malfoy looked completely horror struck.

“Ellie,” Ron shouted in surprise.

“There’s no need to shout, I’m only about six feet away from you,” she smiled at him.

“Are you our new teacher?”

“Yes I am.”

“And you want us to put our wands away?” this time it was Hermione that inquired.

“Don’t look so downhearted Hermione, it’s just this once. This is going to be a practical subject but today you won’t need you wands we’ll be going through a course outline but I expect you all to have your wands with you every lesson from here on in. For now though will you all get your quills and parchment out please,” this time they did as they were told.

“Okay everyone,” she said turning back to them again. “A couple of the members of this class already know me but for those of you who don’t I’m Professor Dumbledore.”

“As in Headmaster Dumbledore?” Seamus asked from the seat behind Harry.

“Yes, he’s my grandfather. I’d like to take the register, when I call your name would you put you hand in the air so that I can get a good look at you,” she proceeded to read down through the list of names in front of her only looking up briefly to get a look at each person.

“That’s fine. Now I’m aware that your teaching in this subject has been interrupted and I’m told that you have had a series of disasters. With the exception of course of Professor Lupin, but perhaps I am biased on that count,” she grinned at Harry. “But let me see if I’ve got it right. In your first year you had Professor Quirell,” she looked around for correction.

“He was excellent in his theory work but I understand that he suffered from the terrible misfortune of having Lord Voldemort sticking out of his head,” gasps went round the room at his name and Hermione had to grab the sleeve of Neville’s robes to stop him sliding off his chair.

“Not really ideal for a Defence against the Dark Arts teacher to have the world’s most wanted Dark Wizard swimming around in his subconscious,” several members of the class sniggered except Draco who looked furious. “In your second year you had Professor Lockhart. Despite his very much-publicised skills I heard he was outsmarted by two second years that then saved a fellow pupil from Slytherins Basilisk,” she glanced at Harry and Ron.

“That won’t do at all. In your third year you were taught by my dear Professor Lupin the only properly capable teacher you have had thus far. Then in your fourth year former Auror Moody took this class. While I have read that he taught you very well he was found to be one of the Voldemort’s servants who was under the effects of a polyjuice potion. Again that just won’t do. Then last year you had Professor Umbridge who was amongst other things a highly incompetent teacher. She seemed to believe that there was no need for a practical side to this class. However I am also aware that there was a club formed by a certain member of this class to combat this serious fault,” she had come to stand in front of Harry.

“I am very pleased to report that the achievement of this years OWLs and NEWTs surpassed previous records with all students passing the subject and a very high majority achieving an E or higher.

“My intention is to continue the work that Professor’s Lupin and Moody began with you. As this is NEWT level there will be many very complex spells involved and you will require 100% concentration whilst in my classroom. Just so that you are pre-warned there will be homework almost every lesson on curses and counter curses. I won’t ask for very much, a foot at most and if anybody has any questions about any homework I have set then please feel free to approach me at any time. My classes will be divided into three different sections, theory, question and answer, and practical. At the beginning of the lesson we will read through the textbook together. After that there’ll be a short question and answer session where I can ask you about things in the chapter and you can ask any questions that you may have. We will then spend the last half of the lesson practicing what we’ve been learning, we may have to split into two groups for that I’m not sure just yet. But before we get too ahead of ourselves lets have a look at what we’re going to be studying this year.”

She waved her wands and a long list appeared on the board behind her. They would be looking at shield charms, patroni, dark detectors, potions and their uses in the dark arts. She told them that for these lessons Snape would be joining them. It was a pretty good lesson, especially when Professor Dumbledore berated Draco for talking over her.

“Mr Malfoy can you tell me what the most important component of learning is?” Draco sat with his usual better-than-thou expression. He said nothing.

“Don’t know?” she paused for a second giving him another chance to answer. “Very well, Ms. Granger do you know that answer?” she knew of course that Hermione did, she answered without a seconds hesitation.

“The most important part of learning is listening.”

“Five points to Gryffindor. Do you know why it is that humans have two ears and one mouth?” she again looked at Draco. “Any ideas Hermione?”

“It’s been suggested that we have two ears and one mouth because we should do twice as much listening as talking.”

“Exactly, take another five points. May I ask how you intend to listen when you are doing so much talking?” She turned back to Draco, when he just stared at her blankly she continued, “I see in that case you leave me little option but to take five points from Slytherin. I will not permit anyone to talk over me or anyone else in this class. Magic is a dangerous and complex thing you could hurt someone if you don’t listen carefully to the instructions I give you. If I believe you aren’t listening again at any point Mr Malfoy I will remove you from my class.”

“You can’t do that!” he protested.

“I am within my rights to remove anyone who may prove to be a danger to my students. So if you wish to remain here then I suggest you pay attention.”

“This is blatant Gryffindor favouritism,” he complained.

“Mr Malfoy it may have escaped your attention but I did not attend Hogwarts and therefore I have no house affiliation. But just so you know the sorting hat would have placed me in Hufflepuff.”

“Went to Beauxbatons did you? Your grandfather would never have sent you to Durmstrang they teach too much Dark Arts stuff for his liking,” Draco smirked as he finished.

“I’m afraid that you’re only right on one count. I didn’t go to Beauxbatons or Durmstrang for the reason you so tactfully outlined. I attended a school in Italy.”

“Italy has a wizard school?” Malfoy eyed her like she was lying.

“Yes it does. Tell me that you didn’t think that there were only three wizard schools in Europe for the enormous number of Witches and Wizards who need to learn our craft?” Draco didn’t answer her but glared at her furiously.

“Why Hufflepuff?” Harry pondered out loud.

“You seem surprised Harry?”

“Well I thought that you’d probably be a Gryffindor, you told me that your mum and dad were both Gryffindors and wasn’t your granddad one?”

“He was. But my grandmother was a Hufflepuff.”

“I just thought you were pretty brave the other day.” he edged his head in the direction of Draco, “So I figured that you would have been in our house.”

“Harry, just because Hufflepuffs are noted for their loyalty doesn’t mean that they aren’t brave. The sorting hat doesn’t outline every quality of every member of the houses. There is a lot of overlapping. For example, Hermione along with being brave is intelligent, loyal and cunning, which are qualities of all four of the houses. Ron is loyal and determined as well. You are talented, determined and fiercely loyal of those close to you, which presents some ambiguity as to the house you belong in. Courage is not the most important quality in a person. You should know that courage in itself is a contradiction Harry. It’s the desire to live taking the form of a readiness to die; it’s a bit of a bizarre combination, more often that not it is the art of being the only one to know that you’re scared to death. It can be a very important quality in a person but it is not the only important quality. But I’m getting carried away. If I may return to my teaching,” she pointedly looked at Draco before sweeping back to the front of the class.

“Okay well I’d like to lay down some ground rules if that’s okay? When I’m talking no-one else will talk, if we’re going through the theory and someone else is asking or answering a question then I expect everyone else to be quiet and respectful. As I dare say you all know magic can be very dangerous if spells aren’t performed properly so you need to listen carefully. Don’t be afraid to give some one advice if you think they’re doing something wrong. We’re all here to help each other; we all want to pass, so if we help each other out then everyone will do well.

“So getting back to what we’ll be studying this year, we’ll spend about two weeks on each topic, that should be enough to cover them and our last three weeks before the exams will be the revision of what we’ve done. Now if you want to do well in this subject, I would suggest that you read up on what we’re going to do before you come to class,” she gave Hermione a smile.

“Then it’s just a case of reminding yourself, but I do understand that not everyone will do that, so that’s why I’ve planned time to read the theory in class. At the end of each lesson you will get homework, and that homework will be to explain as best you can what you learned that lesson the. The average length will probably be about a foot of parchment, and I will expect it to handed to me at the beginning of the next lesson. Beware I know all the excuses, in fact I’ve used most of them so you won’t be getting away with my cat ate it or I accidentally set it on fire practicing a jinx, or I spilled my potion on it. However if you do have a genuine excuse or an original one I may overlook it.

“The exam will take the usual form, being split into two parts theory and practical and no-one needs to worry if anything is really, really important I will let you know so that you can pay particular attention. Now our first topic will be Defensive Spells and their uses, we will start that on Thursday. We’ll be reading about the various defence spells and their specific uses and we will of course be practicing, we will once again be visiting the unforgivable curses and before we finish you will all be able to throw off the imperious curse,” as she said that the bell went.

“Okay everyone for our first proper lesson on Thursday I’d like you all to read the introduction to defence spells in the text book, if anyone doesn’t have a copy I have a few spares that I can lend. I’ll see you all on Thursday.” The whole class were looking forward to the change from the year before, Ellie was going to make a much more competent teacher than Umbridge.

The Great Hall seemed much fuller at dinner that evening. It never ceased to amaze Harry how fast news could travel around the castle, everyone seemed to know that there was a new Professor Dumbledore at Hogwarts even though Hermione assured him that Ellie had only taken two classes today, their class and a group of second year Hufflepuffs and Slytherins. When the after dinner chatter died down the headmaster rose once again, “I would like everyone’s attention please,” he paused as silence surfaced.

“Those of you who had Defence Against the Dark Arts will already have had this introduction but please bear with me whilst I enlighten those who have not. It is my pleasure to introduce you all to our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Elizabeth Dumbledore,” there was some polite but puzzled clapping from those who hadn’t had a class with her yet but there was a lot of noise from those who had with the exception of the Slytherin students.

“And in order to quell any rumours that may spread Professor Dumbledore is indeed related to me. Professor McGonagall heard one fantastical rumour today that Elizabeth was my wife and while I would be an extremely lucky man to have a wife so young and beautiful as her, unfortunately I do not hold that honour. However I do have the privilege of being her very proud grandfather. I hope that you will all extend the same respect to her that you show to our other members of staff. Thank you” he returned to his seat and entered into conversation with Ellie who was blushing so furiously that she would have given a Weasley a run for their money.