Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Girl Who Lived by mrsgeorgeweasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: I cannot apologise to you all enough, I had some big nasty errors in this chapters and the mods were absolutely right to throw it away but I’m back on track!

After the Quidditch match the mood in the castle returned to its previous state. That was until two weeks before the end of term when a giant notice went up on the four house notice boards:

‘Albus Dumbledore,
Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Cordially invites all students to a Christmas Ball,
To be held on the 20th of December,
In the Great Hall from 7.30pm until quite late.

Dress attire preferred.’


Gossip spread throughout the school like wildfire about who had asked who and who was going to wear what. Despite the fact that Ron now had a girlfriend he blanched at the idea of a ball. Harry strongly suspected that it was at the last ball that Ron had finally become aware of his feelings for Hermione. The second Harry saw the notice he turned to Ginny. “Will you go with me?” he asked eagerly.

“I don’t know Harry,” she answered solemnly.

“What do you mean you don’t know?” he panicked.

“Well someone better might come along.”

“Someone better?” he asked with bemusement.

“Yes, someone more handsome or smarter, funnier, richer or more famous. You know, someone better.”

“But…Ginny…” Harry stammered. He stopped when he saw the wide grin engulfing her features. “You’re not serious are you?”

“No, Harry, I’m not.” Ginny began to laugh so hard she almost fell over. She collapsed into a chair as Ron emerged from the pack of students surrounding the notice board.

“What did you do to Ginny?” he inquired.

“It’s what she did to me that caused this,” Harry said grumpily as he sat down beside her. “She told me that she might not come to the ball with me.”

“Why not?” Ron shouted with his increased volume reverberating off the walls.

“She reckons she should wait and see if someone better asks her.”

“Like who?” he demanded suspiciously.

“She was joking, Ron.” Although he was shaking his head Harry was secretly glad that Ron had thought the same as him, it meant he wasn’t being totally stupid.

“Oh,” he muttered, catching on. This sent Ginny into further fits of hysterics. Hermione emerged from the staircase of the girl’s dormitory looking at Ginny rather oddly as she took her customary seat next to Ron.

“What’s the matter?” she asked.

“Ginny threatened to hold out for a better invite to the Christmas ball,” Harry filled her in. To his annoyance Hermione began to laugh as well, although she wasn’t laughing quite as hard. “Right! I’m going to breakfast,” he announced.

“Oh, Harry! It was just a joke. Honestly!” Ginny shoved past him and walked out of the portrait hole. Harry, realising that he may have overreacted, raced after her calling her name. By the time they reached the Great Hall the argument was resolved. They had made up with a kiss on the second floor landing, the students around them had called out things like ‘Get a room!’ and ‘Urgh!’ Hermione had then taken a point from each of them for such an outrageously public display of affection.




The students were allowed to visit Hogsmeade the weekend before the ball in order to make sure that everyone was prepared. That Saturday afternoon Gladrag’s Wizarding Wear was queued out; there was a line of students stretching right down the high street. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny joined the end of the line outside The Three Broomsticks. Ron nipped inside to get some butterbeers to warm them up as they waited. After three quarters of an hour they had progressed into the shop itself. Ginny and Hermione spent almost an hour leafing through countless sets of robes before making a decision. Ginny went for crushed velvet robes in deep red that complemented her hair while Hermione settled on a silk outfit of a very light lilac. Harry picked out robes almost identical to his old ones because the only thing that was wrong with them was that they were almost a foot too short for him. Ron decided on a set that were aubergine coloured, which Hermione mentioned ‘really suited him’, a comment that Harry was sure that Ron would have ignored if it had been anyone else. Once they were finished they went back to the pub for a few more drinks before they set off for the castle.




In the week before the ball the student numbers seemed to have doubled. The castle seemed fuller than ever, most probably because everyone was more buoyant than they had been for quite some time. Professor Snape took points from anyone daring to mention the ball within the confines of his classroom, whereas Professor McGonagall chose to shoot annoyed glances at the more excitable members of the class. Ellie, however, was taking a much more light-hearted approach. She had the misfortune to be the sixth year’s last class before the ball and although she normally had no trouble controlling her class she struggled for the first five minutes before she finally cracked.

“Right, everyone!” she shouted above the din. Immediately the students stopped talking. “I know that you’re all excited, and I am too, but you all need to settle down.” She began teaching again but quickly stopped when the back row whispering grew too loud. “That is enough!” she hollered. “We are obviously not going to get any teaching done today. You leave me with no option.” She paused and for a split second Harry thought she was going to give them all detention. “My advice to you all is to go back to your dormitories and start getting ready, because you’re obviously not going to settle.” She slammed her book shut to accentuate her point. A cheer of approval echoed through the classroom, even the Slytherins roared along with the rest of them. “It gives me some extra time to do my hair anyway,” she sighed, fiddling with the ends of the said hair.

“Will you be coming tonight then, Professor?” Ron asked.

“Me, miss out on an opportunity to glam up? Never, I’ve been looking forward to this for months. It’ll give me a chance to wear some of my new dress robes.”

”You’ll look nice. Charlie had better watch out he might have some competition, because half the male population will be after you,” Harry joked. Ron’s eyebrows disappeared into his red hair.

“Don’t look so worried, Ron,” she chuckled. “As far as I’m concerned there’s not a man at Hogwarts that’s a patch on Charlie.”

Everyone retired to their respective towers. Hermione and Ginny disappeared straight away, along with almost every other girl in Gryffindor. Several other teachers had followed Elizabeth’s example and let their inattentive classes out early. Ron and Harry sat by the fire for a little while before ascending the staircase to the boy’s dormitory. It took them over an hour to get ready. They had showered, brushed their hair and teeth and had even used an Ironing Spell on their robes before changing into them. When they left the dormitory they were caught on the stairs by a heaving mass of quivering boys that were filling the stairwell. They pushed their way to the front to see what was causing the commotion and their jaws dropped at the sight that lay before them. The common room was filled with what could only be described as Gryffindor goddesses. Every single one of them was lovely. He looked around for Ginny and spotted her standing next to Hermione by the fire; she was stunning.

Absolutely stunning.

Her hair was swept into an elegant style at the crown of her head revealing the pale skin of her neck and shoulders. Her scarlet dress fell lightly across those narrow, delicate shoulders and the robes draped into her tiny frame, highlighting every curve. He felt the heat rise in to his cheeks. Hermione looked equally beautiful; her hair was pulled back into a high ponytail and had been curled into loose ringlets. Her robes were sleeveless and had a surprisingly low neckline that drew his eyes to an area that he quickly avoided looking at. He looked to his left to see that Ron’s face very much mirrored his own. Silently they approached the girls with their mouths agape.

“Ginny… you look… amazing…” he stumbled.

“Hermione…” Ron apparently couldn’t even manage that much.

“Thank you,” they blushed in unison. Harry held his slightly shaky arm out to Ginny and she looped her own around his. They set off towards the portrait hole but stopped when they realised that Ron and Hermione weren’t following them, Ron hadn’t moved an inch, he was stood as still as stone gazing at Hermione.

“Um…Ron?” Harry prodded gently. Ron turned his head and Harry pointed to where Ginny’s arm was linked with his own; he immediately took the hint and offered his arm to her. Finally the four set off for the entrance hall.




As they descended the final staircase they noticed that the entrance hall was full of people who weren’t Hogwarts students. A quick glance around the room made it apparent that these people were the student’s families. Ron being taller than the other three was quickly able to spot his family and lead the way. Mr and Mrs Weasley, Fred, George, Bill and Charlie were all sporting new robes. Fleur Delacour, who was accompanying Bill, was clinging to his arm for dear life. Fred and George were grinning from ear to ear; Angelina Johnson and Alicia Spinnet joined them respectively. Remus and Tonks appeared to be escorting each other, much to everyone’s delight. Mrs Weasley grinned from ear to ear as she saw her youngest son and his girlfriend approaching. “Hermione, you look beautiful, and you look very handsome, Ron,” she gushed, straightening his robes as she did so. As Harry and Ginny approached her eyes fell on their entwined hands, instantly her face lit up. “Are you two?” she gasped. When they both nodded she let out a note of exclamation. “Finally, I’ve waited so long…” she trailed off pulling them into a hug.

Fred and George looked at Harry with a gleam of triumph in their eyes; it was as though they had just come up with an extra juicy prank. “So, Harry, anything you’d like to tells us?” George asked with an air of disinterest.

“Erm…Ginny and I…we’re going out… together…”

“Is that so? Look, George ‘ickle Gin-Gin is all grown up.” Fred pinched her cheeks and wobbled her face from side to side.

“Well I hope you realise you’ve just given us a lifetime of ammunition to throw at you?” George surmised.

“Don’t you dare; just remember that I can give as good as you two can,” Ginny decided to step in on Harry’s behalf.

“Oooh! Watch that one, George, she bites!” Fred poked Ginny’s shoulder and snarled at his twin mockingly. A few minutes later Mad-Eye appeared with Mr and Mrs Granger, who quickly conveyed their pleasure at Ron and Hermione’s relationship. Ron still looked very pale and couldn’t form proper sentences.

The doors to the Great Hall swung open and the crowd surged forward. The room had been magically enlarged to accommodate the extra bodies, yet it strangely looked the same. The four house tables had been replaced with nearly two hundred smaller ones each seating ten to fifteen people each. The centre of the room had been cleared for use as a dance floor and a small stage had been erected in the middle of the right-hand wall. The staff table remained in place. Large banners hung above each table, indicating which families were seated there. Cunningly all couples and their families had managed to be seated together. A table just to the right of the stage had a large banner that read:

Granger, Lupin
Moody, Potter
Tonks, Weasley.


They seated themselves around this table and watched as everyone else did the same; once everyone was sitting comfortably the signs disappeared. The staff members entered in pairs with Dumbledore and McGonagall leading, Sprout and Flitwick, Potter and Snape, Reddo and Hooch, Sinstra and Hagrid, and finally Madam Pomfrey and Filch following them. Snape’s eyes kept flitting back to Ellie who had his arm. She was looking very beautiful and smiled enthusiastically at several of her students as she passed them. She was wearing robes of sapphire blue that seemed to be twinkling in the candlelight; her sleeves were translucent material that revealed her arms and Harry could just make out the lightening bolt scar on her shoulder. Around her neck was a long chain with a large bronze circle on it; there was a sizeable emerald jewel in the centre that reflected shards of light up on to her features. Snape escorted her to her seat, even pulling the chair out for her and bowing to her before proceeding to his own chair. With everyone settled Dumbledore rose to make a speech.

“We are living in very dark times. In the bleakest of times we must find light where we can, which is why tonight’s festivities have been arranged. I realise that many of you have lost family members and I am of the opinion that Christmas is a time to be with your family. It is for this reason I invited your relations to be with us this evening. For those of you who have lost people close to you, the staff and I would like you to know that we have many willing ears and words of advice. Many of us have suffered similar losses and understand only too well how you are feeling. Our thoughts are with you and rest assured that we will always do our best to ensure that Hogwarts remains a place of safety for you all. We hope that you will enjoy this evening; it is the perfect opportunity to eat, drink and be merry with those closest to you. Merry Christmas!” He clapped his hands and menus appeared in front of everyone. They worked on the same basis as the ones from the previous ball. Course after course manifested itself on their plates and everyone ate until they could eat no more.

After the dinner plates had been disposed of the chatter rose and a band took to the stage, Tonks reliably informed them that they were a band called Trolls Stole my Baby; she was very enthusiastic about them. Ron and Harry left the table to go and get some butterbeers. Countless bottles of the stuff had been laid out on a table at the far end of the hall. On the way there they passed by a group of seventh year boys from various houses; they overheard part of the conversation and were suitably unimpressed.

“Go and ask her,” said a tall blond boy in silver robes, glancing up at Ellie.

“What if she says no?” replied a shorter boy in black.

“Come on, she’s fit! And above that she’s a sap for a nervous face, look at how she ruffles round Longbottom. If you go up there looking like you’re about to cry if she doesn’t dance with you then there’s no way she’ll say no!” laughed another.

“Imagine what it’d be like to kiss her. I bet she’s good at it!” said another with dark hair who was eyeing the professor longingly as well.

“Yeah, well you’ll never know!” Ron interrupted.

“What would you know, Weasley?” taunted the boy who had called Ellie a sap.

“Quite a lot, since Professor Potter is my cousin. He knows her a hell of lot better than you do,” Harry answered on Ron’s behalf. “Besides, she’s spoken for.”

“Oh yeah! By who?” Asked the tall blonde boy.

“By my brother!” Ron spat, turning away from them and marching back towards the table. “Stupid gits,” he ranted. Shortly after they returned to the table Ellie joined them. With no seats left she plonked herself in Charlie’s lap in as lady-like a fashion as she could. “You want to watch yourself, Professor, there’s a couple of idiot seventh years over there who fancy you,” Ron told her as he threw his thumb over his shoulder. Charlie immediately began to crane his neck.

“Which ones?” he demanded in a manner that very much reminded Harry of a guard dog he had once met.

“Down, Charlie,” Ellie giggled. “They’re students, so they haven’t got a hope. Nice to know that I’m fanciable though,” she grinned at Ron and Harry.

“The way you look tonight even Snape fancies you,” Charlie added in a tone that lay somewhere between shock and disgust.

“Well you’ll just have to show them all that I’m taken; come and dance with me, Charlie,” she begged.

“I’m a terrible dancer,” he said hastily.

“I don’t care!” she pouted as she pulled him from his chair and towards the dance floor where she began to dance very close to him. All eyes from the nearby tables fell on her. For the first time Harry spotted the Malfoys sitting at the other side of the stage. Lucius was watching Ellie too, but unlike the others there was no admiration in his eyes, only a look of deepest loathing. Harry sat watching Lucius carefully; what he didn’t see was Ellie looking at him and Lucius, and screwing her face up in puzzlement. Not for the first time, Harry heard that unknown voice in his head that told him to ignore older Malfoy and just have fun.

Soon after that Ron and Harry were pulled on to the dance floor as well. Once they were there they didn’t leave for several hours. Even Remus was coaxed into dancing with Tonks; Harry was delighted to see his guardian looking so happy as was Ellie. When she spotted the werewolf and metamorphmagus dancing together she grinned at Harry and gave him the thumbs up. Ginny was leading Harry around the dance floor as he simply watched her with a grin on his face; it occurred to him that he must look like someone who had slept with a coat hanger in his mouth. Ron kept stepping on Hermione’s toes; every now and then a little squeal told them he had done it again. Hermione didn’t seem to mind though; she beamed up at him the entire time, most probably because his eyes didn’t leave hers once. Harry noticed that Mr and Mrs Weasley were still seated at the table; they were watching their children with their respective partners and he saw the few tears of joy that escaped Molly’s eyes.




In the course of the evening Harry watched as Ellie danced with Charlie, Remus, Arthur, Alastor, her grandfather, Hagrid (which was most amusing), and even Snape. When she had asked the Potions professor to dance he nearly fell of his seat; Harry didn’t know where she got the stamina. Ginny had danced with Bill and Charlie for a little while which gave Harry the opportunity for a breather but that didn’t last very long because Tonks whipped him out of his chair for a dance.

Some time after midnight Harry noticed that Ellie, Charlie, Hermione and Ron had disappeared from the hall, as had a lot of the young couples. Many of the first and second year students had gone up to bed by this point and the crowd in the hall was starting to thin. Ginny asked Harry if he wanted to go for a walk in the grounds and they slipped outside when no one was looking. As they darted out of the front doors of the castle they found Ron and Hermione were sat on the front steps; Ron was sat on the step behind Hermione and had his arms clamped tightly about her shoulders as they both stared up at the inky blue sky, which was lit by a bright, clear crescent moon and scattered with a thousand stars. They walked down towards the lake where they found that Ellie and Charlie had melted themselves a spot in the snow underneath the beech tree, where they were now curled up together under what looked like Charlie’s travel cloak and kissing very passionately. They continued further round the outskirts of the castle until they came to an empty bench that was round near the green houses, they sat together in silence for a few moments. “I’ve had a wonderful time tonight, Harry,” Ginny finally said.

“Me too, you look…great,” he told her a little nervously, he wasn’t sure great was really the word he was looking for but all the other ones failed him.

“Harry, would you kiss me?” she said suddenly and he happily obliged. They spent a long time on the bench kissing each other, the gentle humming of insects and mutterings of the others perusing the grounds died away and all that mattered was that Harry James Potter was kissing Ginevra Molly Weasley.




After a good while they decided to return to the castle. They watched the many couples emerging from their hiding places with contented faces. Charlie and Ellie managed the incredible feat of walking back up from the lake despite their bodies being interlaced. Ron and Hermione climbed up the steps with their arms wrapped around each other as did Harry and Ginny. If the truth were told Harry had thought that a Christmas ball held under the current circumstances was a bit of a mad idea on Dumbledore’s part, but seeing the smiling faces of his friends, family and schoolmates made him reconsider. He was just beginning to properly appreciate that great genius came with a little bit of madness. He took one look back at the midnight sky and thought to himself:

We need a few mad people now. Look at where the sane ones have got us.

A/N: That last line is a quote from George Bernard Shaw. I warn you now I’m a quotations person!

I want to give the biggest thank you ever to Magical Maeve and Ashley who were my betas, I am very stupid and I bow down before their excellence!

The name for the band ‘Trolls Stole My Baby’ was a bit of a HP twist on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer band ‘Dingoes Ate My Baby’.

The next chapter is going to be Making a Home with a House-elf.