Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Girl Who Lived by mrsgeorgeweasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: This is the last chapter *sniff*…

A loud gasp went around the hall.

Ellie glanced apprehensively at the students before her and made her way to the staff table but she didn’t get very far. Charlie had jumped out of his seat, vaulted over the dinner table and raced towards his wife-to-be. He swept her into his arms, clean off the ground and he held her so tightly that Harry was convinced that he would squeeze the little life that was left in her, out. When the young man eventually let go he stood beside her with his armed clamped firmly around her waist.

Harry’s heart felt as if it would burst with joy, and his wasn’t the only one. The whole hall erupted; nothing was audible over the avid clapping and cheering. Even some of the Slytherins were on their feet, although they were hastily pulled back to their seats by their housemates. The greatest honour came when every member of the staff table rose to their feet and clapped, Professor McGonagall positively beamed with pride, and Harry was sure he heard Hagrid hollering ‘Bloomin’ amazin’’ at the top of his lungs.

Dumbledore was actually speechless as he looked down upon the scene, and Harry was sure that he saw the faintest hint of tears of relief in the headmaster’s sparkling blue eyes. Ellie began the walk, somewhat slower and more stiffly than usual, to her normal seat. She paced between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables, every step marked with a handshake or a pat on the back or both. She grimaced ever so politely, trying to graciously take the praise now heaped upon her.

As she reached Harry her expression changed completely. She looked him straight in the eye and he saw for the first time the true sadness that lay behind her deep brown eyes. She could no longer hide the profound and overwhelming emotion that she had managed to keep in check for so many years; she was once again on the brink of tears. “Thank you,” he whispered to her. The hall fell silent around them and it suddenly struck him how small and inappropriate those two words were.

She had risked her life to save him; she had been prepared to die so that he could live. He felt strange looking into the eyes of a person willing to die for him. He knew so many people around him would do the same thing, but she had actually done it. Without thinking her automatic reaction had been to save him. When she had done it she didn’t know that a month and a half later she would be standing in front of him almost fully recovered. She had believed that she would die and she had still done it. And she had done it before; she had that same instinct at just three years old. She had saved his life twice. Somehow, in reflection, thank you just didn’t seem enough; it didn’t convey his appreciation, it didn’t tell her how much he loved her, it didn’t tell how he would do anything for her. But, for one reason or another, he couldn’t find any other words. But when she looked at him he knew that she understood what he was trying to say.

“Harry, you’re my cousin and you’re all I have left of our family. You’re one of the most important people in my life. You’re my responsibility and I would do it all over again to take care of you.” A tear she could no longer hold back escaped her eye. “We’ll win, Harry. What he’s done won’t be forgotten and he will suffer for it, and we’ll make sure of that.” She grabbed him and pulled him in to the tightest hug that he had ever been in, a hug that perhaps a mother would give her child or a sister would give her brother. He could feel the throbbing of her body as she descended into sobs. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, releasing him and wiping her eyes with her robes.

“Please, don’t be,” Harry mumbled.

“Things are going to be different from now on. I promise you that.”

“I think they’re fine just the way they are,” he protested.

She turned to Ron and Ginny and surveyed them with admiration. “You’ll make Fred and George proud yet.” She broke into a wider smile than Harry had seen her give in months. “As for you, Hermione Granger, you were spectacular, and you were too, Susan.” She smiled in the direction of the Hufflepuff table. “And, Neville Longbottom, your father and mother would be unbelievably proud. Your Grandmother will be so thrilled; above all else you did yourself proud. All of you did.” She motioned to all the other pupils that were watching her. “You went above and beyond your call of duty and what you all did, the courage that you all showed, will be remembered for a very long time. I can’t think of any other people I would rather have on my side should I have to face the Dark Lord again in the near future.” She rained the heartfelt praise down on their heads.

“Elizabeth,” Dumbledore seemed to finally have found his voice. He beckoned her forward with his finger, taking a few steps forward as he did so. She gently let go of Charlie’s hand and journeyed to her grandfather.

“I am proud of you beyond words, as your parents would undoubtedly be. You have once again proved your self a worthy match for Voldemort and once again you proved yourself up to any challenge. I think it will be safe to say that many great things lie ahead for you, and I shall be very glad to watch with awe.” He graced his granddaughter with a kiss on the forehead.

“Thank you, Granddad,” she looked at him with an expression that fell between love and heartache, respect and honour. She suddenly wrapped her arms around him and squeezed with all her might, Dumbledore was slightly taken back at first but enclosed his long arms around her and held her until she was comforted enough to let go. Professor McGonagall had to borrow a handkerchief from Professor Sprout to wipe away the solitary tear that escaped her eye, she then rushed forward to hug Ellie herself, and for a second everyone saw how much the young girl meant to her. Ellie took her seat and Charlie conjured one right beside her. Dumbledore returned to his place and continued with his speech.

“As I was saying, this year has been one full of change, most of all amongst yourselves. Dark times are upon us, with Lord Voldemort’s presence being felt more than ever before, and it is in these times of darkness that we must shine brighter than ever. The darkness can be overcome but know that it can only be overcome through strength, co-operation and faith, in yourself and in those around you, as our many DA members proved so very well during the attack on Hogsmeade. Believe that Hogwarts will always be safe and will prepare you for what may lay ahead. However, we must return to what we have achieved this year. The House cup needs awarding and, once again, I have some last minute points to award, so if you will bear with me. Following the events in Hogsmeade, I would like to award fifty points to each student who fought the Dementor attack. I would also like to award a further twenty-five points each to Mr. Harry Potter, Ms. Hermione Granger and Mr. Ronald and Ms. Ginevra Weasley for standing by their teacher in her hour of need and showing tremendous courage in doing so. If my calculations are correct, that means that the points lie thus: In last place with 470 points, Slytherin; in third place with 692 points, Ravenclaw; in second place with 748 points, Hufflepuff and with 803 points Gryffindor win the House cup and it will be residing in Professor McGonagall’s office once again this year. Well Done Gryffindor!” he finished. With Ellie recovered and the House and Quidditch cups belonging to them, the Gryffindors returned to their common room to continue the party well in to the small hours of the morning.




The next morning came far too quickly for Harry’s liking; now that Ellie was back to share things with he wished that he could re-claim the lost time. He just wanted to sit with her. He wasn’t even sure what he wanted to say, he wasn’t even sure that he wanted to say anything at all, he just wanted to sit with someone who could understand his feelings exactly without need for explanation or questions. Down at Hogsmeade station they boarded the train together. Bidding goodbye to Hagrid. Harry found a compartment along with Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Susan and Neville, while Ellie went to speak with the driver. Harry was beginning to feel his usual depressed self. He had only just realised that he was on his way back to Privet Drive and he hated the idea. He sat staring out of the train window mournfully for quite some time before anybody attempted to question him; naturally only Ginny was bold enough to press him on the issue.

“What’s the matter, Harry? Ellie’s alive, you should be dancing on the ceiling right now,” she said cheerfully.

“I know. I’m really glad that she’s okay but this means I’ll have to head back to the Dursleys for yet another hellish summer,” he reminded them all.

“I wouldn’t worry to much about that, mate. Just you wait. Ellie’ll have you out of there after about oh….twenty seconds,” Ron said casually.

“And that’s after she’s frightened the life out of them with what she’ll do if you’re not kept happy,” Ginny added.

“They’re right you know, Harry. Ellie told you things would be different and you’re summer is going to be the first thing on her list,” Hermione chipped in authoritatively.

“I can’t see Professor Potter letting the Muggles mistreat you, Harry. Besides, she told you how much you mean to her and I don’t think that she will want to spend too much time away from you after she’s come so close to death,” it was Susan who volunteered her opinion on this.

“She’s right. Nobody who’s almost died wants to be kept away from their family,” Neville spoke with a strange expression, one that clearly conveyed some experience of the situation Harry now found himself in.

“But who knows how long Dumbledore will make me stay there. There’s no way that Ellie is going to defy her granddad. If he says that I’m there for the whole summer then I will be.” Harry was able to imagine Ellie having a furious row with Dumbledore.

“I wouldn’t bet on that,” Ron said knowledgeably. “When the Death Eaters attacked Surrey they held an emergency Order meeting. Because they were in such a hurry they were a little bit lax with their security and we overheard Ellie giving her granddad a right mouthful,” Ron told him with a very impressed look.

“What he means is they used Fred and George’s Extendable Ears to listen in on a very private and very important Order meeting,” the disapproval was evident in Hermione’s voice.

“That’s exactly what we did and we’re not ashamed of it either!” Ginny replied boldly. “You should have heard her, Harry. She was coming to Surrey with or without the Order and she was prepared to do whatever it took to get you out of harm’s way. I think mum was a little bit surprised by some of her language,” Ginny giggled.

“Fred and George were the most impressed. They’d never seen anyone give Dumbledore such a row, and they saw Sirius sharing a few nasty outbursts with him,” Ron grinned. “Like I said though, she’ll have you out of their in a day or so at the most I reckon.”

“I can understand what you mean though, not wanting to be separated. I’m going to miss Susan a lot,” Neville blushed.

“But we’ll see each other during the summer,” she blushed right back. Harry looked at Ginny for a moment and started to feel more depressed than ever.

Remus, Tonks and Charlie were also making the rounds of the train and stopped by every so often. Remus was grinning from ear to ear and Charlie was walking with an exaggerated bounce in his step. It wasn’t too long before Ellie gingerly pulled the compartment door open and stepped inside slowly; she was obviously still feeling the effects of the Killing Curse.

“How is everyone?” she smiled.

“Better than you are,” Ron observed.

“Good, everyone looking forward to their summer?” She looked around at the guilty faces before her with a puzzled expression. Everyone gave Harry a quick look before nodding and she immediately understood.

“Doing anything nice?” she addressed Neville and Susan.

“I’ll be spending most of my time at home with my Gran, visiting Susan and my mum and dad,” Neville said staring at the floor and not daring to make eye contact with anyone.

“That’s lovely, you’ll have to come and visit us at some point. It would be nice to have Neville over wouldn’t it, Harry?”

“Yeah,” Harry mumbled in reply.

“I’m sure we can arrange for you to stay with us for a week or two, we’ve got plenty of space and it’d be nice for you to get away from your Gran for a bit. Don’t get me wrong your Gran is a wonderful woman but a bit formidable,” Ellie added hastily. Neville nodded understandingly at her. Without warning Ellie turned to Harry, “Can I talk to you outside, Harry?”

“Sure.” They got up and went out in to the corridor walking up and down the carriage for a little while. Harry could tell she had something important to say but was debating how to say it, “Are you sure everything is all right, Ellie?”

“What...oh yes, everything’s fine. It’s just that I wanted to tell you that…well… I’m glad that you’re all right and I’m sorry if I scared you.”

“You don’t have to be sorry, just promise me you won’t do it again?”

“I told you before I won’t make promises I can’t keep, Harry.” She looked him straight in the eye, leaving him in no doubt that she would do it again given the first opportunity.

“Thank you,” he said softly.

“What for?”

“For nearly dying for me.”

“Harry, both of our mothers and fathers sacrificed themselves for us so that we could live, the least I can do is make sure they didn’t sacrifice themselves for nothing. We have to stick together, the last living Potters. Everyone has worked so hard for us, harder than I think you’ll ever realise, I’m not about to let it all go now; not when we’ve come so far. I will keep you safe even if it kills me.” She laid her arm across his shoulders and pulled him in for a hug.

“How very touching; we’ve stumbled across the Potter family reunion,” Draco’s voice scoffed. They both spun around at the same time to find him standing in the carriage doorway. “I have to say the turnout is dreadful, but then again they’re all dead so it was only to be expected,” he hissed.

“I suggest you go back to your compartment, Mr. Malfoy, before you do something you’ll regret,” Ellie snapped.

“Or meet with a nasty accident.” Harry protectively stepped in front of her and drew his wand.

“I’m not frightened of you, Potter,” he spat at them.

“I don’t want you to be frightened of me. I want you to get lost,” Harry shouted. Crabbe and Goyle flexed their muscles at him as per usual but he wasn’t intimidated in the slightest. Ellie had fought for him and he would fight for her.

“You may have escaped this time but you won’t do it again,” Malfoy hissed at Ellie.

“Stay away from her!” Harry yelled.

“What’s happening here? You need a student to protect you? Some Defence against the Dark Arts teacher you are,” Malfoy continued as Crabbe and Goyle smirked appreciatively.

“She doesn’t need me to protect her!” Harry raged.

“That’s what I’m for,” said Charlie. Unbeknownst to Draco he had approached from behind; Crabbe and Goyle fell by the wayside as the red-haired young man bore down on Malfoy. Although Draco wasn’t particularly tall or broad he always looked imposing because he usually had Crabbe and Goyle on either side of him but without them the façade fell away and he was a skinny, average-height teenager once more. Despite the fact that Charlie was amongst the shorter of his brothers he seemed impressively large. Harry wasn’t sure if this was due to his swelling rage or Malfoy’s recoiling cowardice but Charlie was tall, broad and muscular and Malfoy was fading away, looking increasingly like the white ferret that Mad-Eye had once turned him into.

“If I catch you anywhere near my wife again then you will be very, very sorry,” he whispered dangerously. One of his hands was wrapped around Draco’s throat and the other was grasping his wand so tightly that his knuckles were white; Malfoy struggled to breathe under the pressure. After several minutes of intense glaring Charlie let go of the petrified boy, who was now purple in the face, and watched him and his cohorts retreat down the train. “Are you okay? They didn’t hurt you did they?” The speed with which Charlie changed his tone amazed Harry, all the hatred and malice was gone, replaced by tenderness and love.

“Come off it, Charlie! I know I’m not back up to scratch yet but I’m not quite an invalid either, Malfoy I can handle; besides Harry was here to take care of me.” She patted Harry on the shoulder appreciatively.

“Good man,” Charlie nodded approvingly.

“But you made a good point; if you’re going to be marrying my cousin then the job of protecting her belongs to you. We’ll need to have a little chat before you marry her, I want to make sure that you’re going to look after her properly,” Harry used his most fatherly tone.

“I’ll keep that in mind but I have to warn you I intend to marry her as soon as possible, before the summer is out if I can manage it.” Charlie grinned at Ellie as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders in a protective manner and pulled her in close to his chest.

“And just when were you going to tell me this?” Ellie asked with mock surprise.

“I just did,” Charlie answered smartly. “We’re getting near London,” he said peering over the top of Ellie’s head and out of the window.

“You’d best go and get your things ready, Harry.” Ellie gestured back down the carriage to where his compartment was. He left silently, hit by the reminder that he only had a little time left with his friends. He walked away from the embracing couple and went back to see the others.




The students were arranged as they had been for the platform departure at Christmas and they waited patiently for their opportunity to pass through the barriers that separated the magical world from the Muggle one. Remus and Tonks passed through before Harry and his friends and Ellie and Charlie passed through after. The non-Hogwarts branch of the Weasley family lined the platform waiting for them. As per usual the Dursleys stood off to one side eyeing the red-haired bunch spitefully. Mrs. Weasley rushed forward and wrapped Ellie in one of her mother-bear hugs and muttered, “We’re so glad you’re all right!” over and over again. Charlie eventually managed to prise his mother off the poor girl but this only encouraged her to hug other people, like Ron, Ginny, Hermione and Harry, twice. Harry watched his Uncle Vernon beginning to swell as his temper flared; Vernon didn’t like to be kept waiting, especially not for Harry or one of his ‘lot.’

Harry turned around and kissed Ginny passionately, she blushed furiously under the stares of her entire extended family but Harry was beyond caring. He didn’t know how long it would be until he saw her again and he wanted her to know that he cared about her before she went. “I…I love you, Ginny,” he whispered for only her to hear.

“I love you too, Harry,” Ginny giggled.

“I suppose I’ll see you all soon,” Harry said to them all as he grabbed his trolley again. “Don’t forget to write and let me know when I’m coming home,” he reminded them with frustration.

“What are you talking about?” Ellie looked at him like she would an alien; she followed his line of vision to the three figures stood further back. Uncle Vernon was again attempting to hide Aunt Petunia and Dudley was failing to hide behind a pillar just to their left. Without a second’s hesitation Ellie marched towards them.

“You!” Aunt Petunia exclaimed. “I thought that you were dead!”

“Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, I presume?” She held her hand out politely to shake theirs; Uncle Vernon accepted it after much deliberation. “I’m Elizabeth Potter, Harry’s cousin. I’m very sorry that you’ve come all this way but Harry won’t be staying with you this year, or ever again if I have my way, he’ll be staying with me. Say goodbye, Harry.”

“Goodbye,” Harry muttered in disbelief, he had a peculiar feeling brewing in his stomach.

“How dare you?” Uncle Vernon bellowed at Ellie who had already turned her back and was preparing to march back across the platform.

“Do be quiet Dursley,” she snapped at him.

“You made us come all this way for nothing!” Vernon roared; the people hovering around on the platform were beginning to earwig.

“Unfortunately we’ve all been rather preoccupied in recent weeks and must have forgotten to contact you. Your services, or rather your disservices, will no longer be required.”

“Disservices? We took that boy in out of the goodness of our hearts. We’ve fed and clothed him and put a roof over his head for the last fifteen years!” Uncle Vernon was now magenta.

“You have bullied, manipulated and mistreated my cousin from the day he set foot in your house and I will not allow that to continue. Unlike Harry, I am a fully trained adult witch so I suggest you leave this station now before my wand hand starts getting twitchy,” she seethed. Vernon took one look at the menace in her eyes and ushered his family out of the train station and as far a way from the furious young woman as quickly as he could.

“I’m coming to live with you?” Harry managed to calm the bizarre feeling in his stomach a little.

“You didn’t honestly think that after all that’s happened I would let you go back to that place, did you?” she smiled at him.

“Well…yeah I did. You couldn’t have told me that I was going home with you before I kissed Ginny like that in front of everyone?” Harry could now feel the colour seeping up his neck and face.

“And deprive Ginny of a good snog? I couldn’t do that,” she laughed.

The family moved through the station in an enormous pack towards the two Ministry cars that were waiting for them outside. Harry could just see the car park beyond them where the Dursleys were clambering into Uncle Vernon’s new company car. With a jolt Harry realised what the funny feeling in his stomach was.

For the first time in his life Harry was actually looking forward to his summer.

A/N: And so the saga ends! Please review and let me know what you thought of the story, even if you didn’t like it. For those of you who did enjoy it look out for Harry Potter and The Unspeakable Power which is the sequel, it will be submitted as soon as this chapter goes up. I’ll also be posting another one shot that ties in with this within the next week. The title will be One Life Owed and it will centre on what happened between Snape and Jane Potter.

In the mean time you can check out The Night That Started It All, which is a three chapter off shoot from this, and In The Drawing Room, which is a one shot about Ellie and Charlie.

I want to say an enormous thank you to those of you who faithfully read and reviewed “ you know who you are “ you’ve made writing a wonderful and rewarding experience for me and I really feel that I’ve learned a lot. I want you all to line up for giant hugs and nice cookies. I hope you’ll tune in to the new fic when it posts. THANK YOU!