Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Girl Who Lived by mrsgeorgeweasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sitting around the big wooden kitchen table of Grimmauld Place were Harry’s favourite family in the entire world. Their faces were shining brightly at him from beneath eight mops of flaming red hair. There was a blur rushing towards him and seconds before impact Harry was able to establish that it was Mrs. Weasley, Hermione and Ginny. “Oh, Harry!” exclaimed Mrs. Weasley as she pulled him into the many-armed hug. Harry was fairly certain that he could hear her sobbing into his shoulder.

“I don’t want to alarm anyone but I can’t breathe!” He was very grateful when Mr. Weasley tugged at his wife’s arm whispering to her that everything was all right and that Harry had been safe and sound when they found him.

“But he might not have been,” she admonished. Now the space previously occupied by Mrs. Weasley was free, Hermione and Ginny pulled him in twice as close.

“It’s all right you two. I’m absolutely fine. No harm done at all. I can’t say the same about this lot though, I was about two seconds away from trying to jinx the lot of them.” He tried to laugh but found he didn’t have the space to.

After a few minutes Ginny loosened her grip and blushed furiously so that her hair and face were almost the same colour. She muttered, “Sorry,” as she and Hermione quickly let go of him.

“When we heard they were in Little Whinging we were convinced that they’d come for you. We thought that you…you might be…,” Hermione stuttered a little as her eyes brimmed with tears.

“No such luck, Hermione. They were a few streets away but it was a little too close for comfort.”

“Good to see you’re okay, mate. Knew you would be though,” Ron was talking to Harry but staring avidly at the good-looking girl who had landed in the middle of the kitchen. “Aren’t you…” he was quickly cut off when Charlie got up and raced round the table to her.

“I’m so glad you’re safe.” In a move that stunned everyone, Charlie pulled her in towards him and kissed her with more passion than was humanely possible. Tonks began to clap and cheer rather loudly while Mrs. Weasley looked on completely blustered.

“With a welcome like that I’m glad I’m safe too.” She gazed up at Charlie, who was at least a foot taller than her, and her mouth broke into the most beautiful smile. At that moment in time, he was convinced that there was no girl in the world prettier than Elizabeth Dumbledore.


“May I remind you, Mr. Weasley, that I am Elizabeth’s grandfather and as such do not need to bear witness to any passions you may have for her.” Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled and a rather large grin spread across his face causing several creases in his cheeks. Charlie laughed manically and Elizabeth coloured but attempted to hide her reddening cheeks in his lengthening red hair.

“I remember, as if it were yesterday, my daughter bringing home a young gentleman friend who thought it appropriate to pinch her bottom when he thought I wasn’t looking. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, he married her not too long afterwards,” he smiled fondly at his granddaughter who was smiling although it was somewhat sadly.

“My word, Elizabeth, you look more and more like your mother each day. Except for that nose that is definitely your father’s nose.” Mrs. Weasley hugged Elizabeth almost as tightly as she did Harry. “Who would have thought it? My son in love with Elizabeth Dumbledore. I’ve never been so proud; you’ll keep him in line and make sure he works hard. Oh yes! You’ve got a good one there, Charlie.” As if to emphasise her point she clasped Charlie and Elizabeth’s hands together tightly.

After a few minutes Mrs. Weasley began putting out plate after plate of food. All of Harry’s favourites were there and everyone just kept eating until they were full, which seemed like an eternity later. Harry was just looking around the room, which had obviously been scrubbed clean with some kind of Scouring Charm, when a thought occurred to him.

“Where’s Kreacher?” Everyone shared significant looks.

“Kreacher is dead. Upon hearing that his master had passed on he suffered a heart attack,” Dumbledore replied. There was no hint of any emotion in the old man’s face.

“He didn’t have a heart. I bet he thought it was great. His little plan worked.”

“He was rather pleased with himself, yes.” His headmaster rose grimly from the table.
“I’m afraid I must be leaving there is urgent business to be attended to. However, I will return tomorrow and at that time we must address the issue of Sirius’s will. I know it will be difficult but it must be done.” He gave Harry a significant look and then stepped into the fireplace, “Until tomorrow.” With a burst of green flames he was gone.

Moody and Shacklebolt quickly followed him. Apparently Tonks, Lupin and Ms. Dumbledore would be staying behind. Ron decided challenge Harry to a game of chess in the drawing room, which Harry heartily agreed to, the less he had to think about the following day the better. They sloped out of the kitchen and up the stairs to the first landing as Hermione and Ginny followed them.

Harry noticed some very big differences in the hall. It was no longer dark and dank, the wallpaper and carpets had been replaced with flourishes of red and gold; and the wood and brass fittings had all been polished to a very high standard. Where once hung serpent chandeliers now hung roaring lion ones. All in all it made the place look dramatically different. Mrs. Black’s portrait however still hung on the wall.
“She’s quietened down a bit though. Dumbledore had a word,” Ron informed him. When they got to the drawing room Harry felt compelled to say something. As the others seated themselves round the chessboard Harry remained standing and they gave him a questioning look.

“I just wanted to say that…that I’m sorry for dragging you all with me to the Department of Mysteries. You could have all been killed, I realise that now and…and I don’t know what I’d do without you all. I’m so sorry and I want you to know that…well that I…..” Ron and Hermione looked as though they were moved beyond words, Ron kept gulping and Hermione was staring at him with tears in her eyes. Harry was taken by surprise when it was Ginny who spoke.

“In case you’ve forgotten you wanted to go alone and we forced you to take us with you, so you didn’t do any dragging at all. Secondly, we all knew before we even got on those Thestrals that there was a chance we wouldn’t come back and we went anyway, it was our decision not yours. Lastly, just so you know we don’t know what we’d do without you either and we love you too, Harry.” As Ginny finished Hermione nodded her head feverishly and Ron tipped his head in Harry’s direction to show that he too agreed with her. Harry’s heart swelled once more.

They played chess for hours by taking it in turns to play each other, first Harry and Ron, then Harry and Ginny, Ginny and Hermione, Harry and Hermione (Harry rather liked playing Hermione as she was the only person he could beat), Ron and Hermione and finally Ron and Ginny. The last match was the most exciting, Harry and Hermione were on the edge of their seats for the most part, it could have gone either way but in the end Ron won. Ginny had put up a spectacular fight though.

George, Fred and Elizabeth eventually joined them. Harry watched curiously as Elizabeth tried some of Fred and George’s new inventions, one turned her head into that of a toad, another changed her hair a bright and vibrant purple that would have done Tonks proud, and another gave her a pig snout. George caught Harry watching carefully. “She’s the only person brave enough to try them!” he raved. Elizabeth finished testing and came over to sit with the other four instead.

“I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced, I’m Elizabeth Dumbledore. Most people call me Ellie.” She held out her hand to shake his.

“Harry Potter. No offence, but how come I’ve never met you before?” She laughed a gentle and soothing laugh that reminded him of someone but he couldn’t think who.

“I went to school in Italy. The Amaretto Carondoni Scuola di Magica, it isn’t as big or famous as Hogwarts but it served me well. I only finished up there in May.”

“I read about it once in an Appraisal of Magical Education in Europe. Did you like school?” Hermione was, as ever, eager to talk about anything education related.

“From what I’ve heard I didn’t quite enjoy it as much as you do but at the same time I didn’t find it as much of a chore as Harry and Ron do,” she smiled apologetically at Hermione.

“But why did you go to school in Europe if your grandfather was the head of Hogwarts?” Harry asked politely.

“I bet you have it bad enough just being the famous Harry Potter. What do you think I’d get for being the headmasters granddaughter? Torture that’s what. Mind you I suffered a little, it’s an occupational hazard of being related to the greatest wizard of our age,” she smiled proudly.

At that moment Mrs. Weasley bustled in and ordered them all to bed, even Fred, George and Ellie. They dragged their feet all the way up the stairs, saying goodnight as they divided off into their rooms. It turned out that Ellie was sleeping in the room next door to Harry and Ron’s.

Up until he got into bed Harry hadn’t felt remotely tired but suddenly it swept over him and before he even realised it he was asleep and once again re-living the horror of the Department of Mysteries.

“Harry, Harry,” a gentle voice was calling him. He awoke with a start from his dream to find the covers twisted around his legs and his pyjamas drenched in sweat. He felt his glasses being handed to him and as soon as he put them on the blurry figure before him instantly became Ms. Dumbledore. “Are you all right, Harry? I heard you calling out from my room,” she looked at him with concern etched into every line in her face.

“It was… I was just remembering something that happened.” He didn’t particularly want to tell a stranger exactly what he’d been dreaming even if she was Dumbledore’s granddaughter.

“You mean Sirius’s death.” It was a statement not a question.

“Yes, do you know what happened?”

“Yes, I do. Listen, Harry; Sirius was a good man who loved you as if you were his own son. He was prepared to die for you above all people and he wouldn’t have wanted to go any other way. He went in battle; fighting for the person he loved the most. He died a hero. You and I, and all the people in this house will never ever forget him. He touched our lives and there can be no greater legacy than that. Although it seems terrible that he’s gone, you must understand that there are fates worse than death. I know that seems incomprehensible but there are. Wherever he is now he’s free, he’s with your mum and dad and he’ll love that. He hated being here. Being cooped up with nothing to do; he lived for the times when you, Ron and Hermione were here. Trust me, wherever he is he’s happy.”

“How long had you known Sirius?”

“Since the day that I was born and I kept him in my heart every day. You’d better get some sleep, Harry, here take this, it’ll help.”

“What is it?” he inquired trying not to sound suspicious.

“Nice to see that you’re adhering to Mad-Eye’s ‘Constant Vigilance’ regime, he will be pleased that somebody is listening to him. It’s a Dreamless Sleep Potion, granddad suspected you might have been having trouble sleeping and gave me a couple of vials just in case.” Harry nodded sheepishly and took the vial from her. He drained it in one go and immediately began to feel drowsy. “Goodnight, Harry,” Ellie whispered as she tucked him back into bed properly.

“Night,” he murmured back as he heard her creaking her way back towards the door

“That’s the problem with the world today you know, too many bleeding hearts. You’ll never make an adequate teacher if you fall to pieces every time some one has a bad dream. You, young lady, are more like your grandfather than you realise.”

“In that case I’ll make a wonderful teacher and maybe one day a brilliant headmistress. Now if you don’t mind, Phineas, Be Quiet!” she hissed at him.

“Well I say! There’s a good lot of her father in there too!” That was the last thing Harry heard before the sleep finally overcame him.




Despite Harry’s desperate prayers that tomorrow might never come, it did. A beautiful sunshine woke them relatively early on. As they made their way down to the kitchen the delightful smell of bacon, sausages and eggs cooking wafted up to meet them and sure enough when they arrived in the kitchen there was a breakfast banquet laid out on the table.

“I thought I heard movement upstairs,” Mrs. Weasley smiled at Harry as he sat down and she immediately began piling sausages and bacon on to his plate.

Slowly but surely the table filled up with the eight Weasleys, Harry, Hermione, Ellie, Remus and Tonks. In display of impeccable timing, Professor Dumbledore turned up just as they were helping Mrs. Weasley with the washing up. He waited until they were finished and had returned to their seats at the table before he spoke.

“We are just waiting for a few more people, and then we shall begin.” A few more people, who looked very official, arrived, Professors Snape and McGonagall among them. “Now as you all know, I am here to conduct the reading of Sirius Black’s will.” He reached out and pulled what appeared to be a small snow globe out of his pocket. Harry was at once reminded of the prophecies at the Ministry of Magic. Dumbledore placed the globe on the table and tapped it twice with his wand. Harry gaped open-mouthed as a miniature version of Sirius rose from it.

“This is the last will and testament of I, Sirius Black. Now if you’re all watching this then one of two things has happened. Either I have passed away a very old man or I have done something very stupid and ended up somewhat dead,” he grinned at them all.

“I do rather hope that it was the latter. Now, that being the case please none of you worry, it was bound to happen sooner or later with all the trouble I get into and the absolutely appalling company I keep. My mother always told me that Dumbledore was a dangerous character.” The mini Sirius grinned at the longhaired, bespectacled man beside him. In return Dumbledore smiled back sadly.

“However, any trouble I did get into was probably entirely of my own making, you know me, never could resist another adventure. I must say that Harry, Ron and Hermione do remind me of James, Remus and I when we were young pups. Just when we had a lucky escape from one tricky situation we managed to land ourselves right in another one. Dear Fred and George have upheld the first-rate tradition of causing chaos whenever and wherever possible and I’m mighty grateful for that.

“My life hasn’t been so bad; I made some wonderful friends along the way. Lily, James and, of course, Remus. Just you left old boy. Don’t let us down. Cause a little mischief here and there, just to let us know you still remember how to.” Remus chuckled slightly.

“My only regret is that I didn’t get to spend more time with you, Harry. I wish I could have been there to hear you say your first sentence, to see you ride your first broom, to have been there to celebrate the first time you caught a Snitch. Your parents would have loved that too. It was stolen from them and it was stolen from me. I could not love you more if you were my own flesh and blood. When James and Lily asked me to be your Godfather I never thought I could be prouder but I was wrong. The proudest moment of my life came the day I met you. Despite the hardships you’ve been dealt you are a better man now than most could ever hope to be. Wherever your parents are now they are smiling down on you with tears of pride in their eyes.

“I expect and do sincerely hope that whatever I was doing when I died was for your benefit. Because you are the key, Harry, you are the one that’s going to turn the whole thing upside down. When the time comes Voldemort won’t know what’s hit him. Mark my words when all the dust settles people will never forget your name.

“You must strive to keep those you love close to you. I know what you’re like, Harry you push them away and keep them at arms length. My best advice to you is don’t. If anything bring them closer. You cannot and will not make it without them. It’s about time you drew that wonderful Ginny into your little club because she has a fiery Weasley temper that would rival her mothers and will be more than willing to give you a swift kick in the backside if need be.

“Now, if you’re still underage, which I daresay you probably are, then with your approval I would like your guardianship taken over by Remus and Elizabeth Dumbledore. I am, of course, hoping that by now you will have been introduced to the treasured Ellie. I know that Remus cares for you just as much as I do, Harry, and in this time of need it will be Remus who will undoubtedly understand better than most what it is you’re feeling. He has suffered the lost of your parents and now me, he will understand.” The little Sirius clapped a tiny ghostlike hand on his shoulder before turning to Ellie.

“As for you, Ellie Dumbledore, I am certain that you are the most beautiful girl in the entire world. I never in my life came across female that could make me want to get married; I had resigned myself to a life of bachelorhood. I never really was one for settling down. I’ve been lucky enough to meet some of the most astounding women the world has to offer, Lily Potter, Alice Longbottom and Jane Dumbledore, yet none of them lit a spark in me. But you did. I only wish that either I could have been fifteen years younger or you fifteen years older because either way I wouldn’t have rested until you were mine.

“Just in case it has slipped your memory Charlie I would like to remind you of that promise you made to my beloved Ellie when you were nine. You swore that you would make an honest woman of her. The thought of the two of you getting together warms my heart and I do sincerely hope that she will let you get a ring on that finger of hers. You’ll be one of the most envied men in the world with her on your arm. Ellie, your mother was an excellent witch and your father an outstanding wizard but I do believe that you are more outstanding and excellent than even they were. You would have made them very proud. You have accomplished so many great things but I know that there is more to come. I’ve turned Harry’s guardianship over to you because it is time that he knew the truth. He has suffered alone for so many years and it’s time that was brought to an end. Don’t leave it too late. He needs to know who you are and you need to acknowledge your own identity.” Ellie glanced at Harry out of the corner of her eye and then nodded at Sirius who gave her an approving smile.

“With the most important things dealt with I move on to my belongings. The property number twelve Grimmauld Place now belongs to Harry and Ellie. May you use it well and may I advise you not to throw too many wild parties, Molly won’t like that very much. As for my gold and the precious Black family treasure I would like to leave one third of it to be divided into ten equal amounts, one share for each of the Weasley family. Percy’s share is to be held until he has the sense to admit that he was wrong and one share will be held until one of those six sons has the good grace to provide Molly with some grandchildren. If Charlie could help out there as well I would be very grateful,” he grinned devilishly.

“Now, I don’t want you to think of this as charity but as a means of repayment for your kindness and goodwill towards Harry I, as well as him, am unbelievably grateful for all you’ve done. No family deserves riches more than you do and as such I am happy to be able to help in this way. Another third of it goes to Remus who is my dearest and oldest friend. Get yourself some new robes and a new briefcase or, in other words, use it to take good care of yourself. I’m entrusting this task to you, Ellie, you must make sure that you get him into Diagon Alley and get him some new treads he is in dire need of them. The final third is to be divided into four equal shares, one share each for Harry and Ellie; one is also for Hermione along with enormous thanks. You have seldom been acknowledged for the great support that you’ve offered to Harry in his times of need. I realise that money doesn’t really make up for this but I hope that by now Harry might have come to his senses enough to thank you. I also trust that he will make it clear to you that you are welcome at Grimmauld Place at any time. The final share is for Albus Dumbledore. You may use it to do whatever it is you like but I personally would like to see it going towards sticking it to dear old Voldie.

“Really the only thing that remains to be settled is old Severus Snape. I requested you showed up today to tell you to leave Harry alone! He is not me or his father. He doesn’t deserve the way you’ve treated him. I would ask, no, in fact I would demand, that you put the future of our world before petty grudges held with those who’ve departed. So sort it out or I’ll be back to haunt you, Snivellus!” With that the miniature Sirius sank back into his glass orb.


The second he had disappeared Ellie ran from the room with her face buried in her hands and Harry was only able to catch a brief glimpse of the tears that were now cascading down her face. Charlie stood up to make after her but stopped as Dumbledore called out his name,

“Charles, may I ask that you leave her and allow Remus to go after her. I think that would be for the best.” Charlie looked thoroughly disgruntled but returned to his seat none-the-less. Remus rose and disappeared in search of sobbing young woman. Harry sat exchanging puzzled looks with Ron and Hermione. As though he was reading their minds Dumbledore answered their unasked question.

“Professor Lupin is her Godfather. It would be better if he goes after her; she is more likely to calm down. She was very close to Sirius. I believe I told you once before Harry, that whilst Sirius was in hiding you were not the only one in contact with him. Elizabeth’s parents were very close to your own and as a result they were very close to Remus, Sirius and also Frank and Alice Longbottom. When Elizabeth was born Remus and her mother had been working together on his first mission for the Order. I suppose Jane took him under her wing. She was able to secure him a job and much like your mother she was always very sensitive about his condition. As a result he became the first choice for Elizabeth’s Godfather.”

“What did Sirius mean that it’s time to tell me the truth? What was he talking about?”

“All in good time, Harry, all in good time. There is much to be discussed before we get to that…”