Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Trials and Suffering by wickedlova01

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It was mid November, two months into school. James had begun to notice an change in Lily. Eves since Halloween, she had been this way, sort of secretive, like she didn't want to be around anybody; particularly him. She had not spoken to him willingly in three weeks. He had even sometimes noticed a strange look in her eye; anxious, almost fearful. He just couldn't understand what he had done.

Sirius was just as bewildered as James. He told James (when asked) that he had noticed it too, and that he was positive it wasn't something James had done. James thought that Sirius was just filling the best friend roll by telling him this, but he wasn't too sure about that either. It was normal for Lily to ignore Sirius, but lately she had been even more cold towards Sirius than even him. She would give him a cold stare every time she passed him in the hall, with that look of fear even more prominent in her emerald eyes.

On a blustery Monday, James was sitting in Charms class, trying to think of ways to ask Lily what was going on without sounding like he was prying into her personal business. Class ended, and she was the first one out, sweeping out of her seat and half running for the door. James noticed something fall out of her schoolbag. He picked it up. It was a note, typed and crinkled. It had fallen open, so that he could read the fading words on the page...

-Evans,

What is a wonderful girl like you doing with a freak like Potter? You deserve better and you know it. I have loved you from the moment I clapped eyes on you. I can be better for you than that asshole.

Think about it, and think hard. We wouldn't want your dear little Potter to think that you're cheating on him, now would we? And we wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. I WILL be in contact with you again, if you refuse my offer.

-S

James read and re-read the note five times before it sunk in. Lily - his Lily - was being blackmailed? Worse still, blackmailed into dumping him? But wait, the note was dated October 31. She had gotten this note almost a month ago, and she hasn't done it? His heart leaped. She DOES love me. She really does love me...

He feared for her though. 'We wouldn't want anyone to get hurt', what did that mean? Well, it HAD been a month... maybe nothing would happen......