Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

What Would Be A Drill? by Kelsid

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“Harry! That is your name, right? Well, then, over here!” demanded Vernon and watched anxiously as the sullen boy shuffled to his uncle. He had been extremely miserable over the past two weeks he was at the Dursley’s house. Vernon had no idea why, and he didn’t want to interrogate the brat for any reason. Harry’s sorrow wasn’t his, so Vernon let it be.

“Can you catch a Frisbee?” asked Vernon, as if it were the most obvious question in the world.

“I don’t know Uncle, have you ever let me try?” His face was downcast, but his eyes stared boldly at Vernon, daring him to berate.

“Don’t talk about previous times, my favorite little nephew!” He had taken a new approach, sweetness. Harry stood unmoved as ever, so Vernon sighed and pleaded, “Come on! Let me see just one catch.”

Harry was officially tired of having his uncle beg, so he did as he was told reluctantly. “Okay.”

“Good chap!” clapped Uncle Vernon was he threw a swift one at Harry’s head, just to test whether or not he could grasp this particularly hard toss.

It spun quickly, and went at the speed of light. Uncle Vernon had hurled it with all of his might, but Harry stood unflinching.

A moment before the plate would have hit his head; he jerked his hand up and grabbed it with surprising ease. “Harry!” cried Vernon, all smiles as he held open his arms. “How would you like to spend your summer at the most influential drill company in England…Grunnings!”

“How about not,” grumbled Harry as he trudged back to his fence, ready to lean against it once again and peer through the hole which showed the neighbor’s pool. Harry liked pools.

“Unless I didn’t make it clear, I WILL BREAK YOUR STICK IF YOU DON’T!!!” laughed Vernon evilly. He had the power, and he knew it.

“My stick?” Harry cracked up and held a short stick from the ground. “Go break it! I’ll be so upset if you do!”

“Your… your… wand!” cried Vernon, realizing the correct word.

Dudley wailed, “I want a toaster!”

“Shut up!” yelled Vernon as he went back to swaying Harry into going with him. “Now Harry, please will you come? I need this promotion terribly and…”

Harry thought for a moment before he came up with a brilliant plan that would make certain he would not go with Vernon. “I can tell Professor Lupin and Professor Moody that you’re mistreating me. Would you like that?”

Vernon opened his mouth to retort, and then closed it. He opened it again, and then closed it. And did this again and again and again, so confused was he. Dudley started to copy him, and soon both of the Dursley men looked like fish.

“Hey, Dad! Do you think I look like cotton candy?” Dudley called as he bounced up and down. “I think I do!”

“Dudders, not now. Harry, by lad, would you really do that?” Vernon pleaded. Suddenly a loud crack was heard and Vernon scrambled up the fence. Dudley attempted to claw a hole through the brick wall of his house, but it didn’t work. Harry just stood in awe, looking up at handsome, amazingly smart and talented Remus Lupin who had apparated onto the Dursley’s back lawn. (This sentence will be explained later.)

“Harry, were you talking about sending us out on your uncle?” said Lupin quietly.

Vernon trembled. “Don’t hurt me!”

“I won’t, and actually, I was listening in on your conversation, I think the Grunnings opportunity is an excellent idea! You’ll meet new friends, and forget about Sirius’s death. I know you’ve been moping, Harry.”

“It only looks that way. I was staring at pools,” he explained and turned his back on the ex-Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

“Well, I have no objections against this. Maybe I’ll come and help you to have a good game of Basacebolaqua!” Harry cocked his head in confusion.

“A more fun game than you’ve never played!” cried Lupin merrily.

“Funner,” contracted Vernon. “The word is funner, not more fun.”

“No, sir, you are mistaken. It’s more fun,” smiled Lupin but his eyebrows narrowed.

“Funner.”

“More fun.”

“Funner.”

“More fun.”

“FUNNER!!!”

“More fun!”

“I know it’s funner, I really do,” interrupted Dudley. “It’s the one thing I know.” Vernon bowed his head. Lupin was right, because if his son agreed with his answer, than the answer was most definitely wrong.

“I must be going then. Have fun at Grunnings, Harry!” Lupin waved, very happy over his success on his reply.

Then he disappeared again, but you’ll see more of him because Lupin is my favorite character. Back to the story, then.

“So, Harry, are you ready to come to Grunnings?” grinned Vernon crazily. “Nothing can stop me now!” he whispered, and rubbed his hands together.

Harry thought for a moment, and then said slowly, “Only on one condition…”

Author’s Note: I need some ideas for the condition, people! CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY!!!