Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

What Would Be A Drill? by Kelsid

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“Welcome, Dursley!” cried Ethan as he waved his stick like arms all over the place. “Did you bring your son?”

Vernon was clearly unhappy as he let Harry be seen. “What’s the matter, Dursley?” Ethan asked. “Seem kind of blue this morning.”

“I spent the whole night building a pool, buying Harry purple socks and sewing a cotton candy outfit for my other son.” Vernon was clenching his teeth.

“Sounds rough, fellow,” Ethan sighed and slung his arm around Vernon’s shoulders.

“I also had to stay up all night with the phone, contacting Mr. Webster.”

“As in Mr. Dictionary Webster? Why?”

“Harry wanted a particular word inserted into that stupid book, Shexxahonicmultiplydevidearonisis or something like that.”

“Mister Webster has been dead for years, Vernon,” Ethan told him softly.

“What???” Vernon exploded. “I spent the whole night contacting him while Harry was in the kitchen where our… other… phone is…”

Harry started to promptly crack up as Vernon realized Mister Webster was indeed Harry Potter in a disguised voice.

“Mr. Webster was one of my dear friends,” sobbed Ethan. “He was a good man with an enormous vocabulary, and don’t you forget it!”

Vernon started to back up. “Sorry, Mr. Ethan Drew, I…”

“That’s okay, Vernon. Go to work, I set up a little place for Harry in the corner,” smiled Ethan with watering eyes. “I have to go read his book. Those words inspire, you know?”

Vernon smiled back, (though a very forced one,) and said, “Yeah! The dictionary is the best book I’ve ever read!”

Harry started to chuckle again when Vernon grabbed him by his shirt collar and began to shout, “You stupid, stupid boy! I spent all the live long night talking to Mr. *bleep* -ing Webster, and it was you all along! Why I oughta…”

“Pardon me,” interrupted a hoarse voice as Remus Lupin came out of one of the small cubicles positioned around the entryway. “I seem to realize that you and Harry are not getting along very well. So I sent over one of his friends from Hogwarts.”

Here he pushed out a scowling boy from behind the cubicle. “Vernon, meet Draco Malfoy!”

Draco smirked at Harry as he said, “I can’t wait to work with you.” Harry nearly fainted, while Vernon pushed him out of the way.

“Draco Malfoy? You seem like my kind of fellow! Perhaps you can toughen my weak nephew up here! What do you say?”

Draco was about to reply when Lupin abruptly pulled him back behind the work area. “Oh… maybe that wasn’t the best idea. I also brought another boy, Ronald Weasley?”

Ron burst out of the cubicle, knocking over the flimsy wall. “Harry! Have you seen these odd things? They have this bright screen… little keys that have letters on them and a strange object that you can move around!!!”

Harry was so excited to see Ron; he didn’t even remember Vernon was there. “Ron! Am I glad to see you!”

“Harry, Ron, I’ll be working in this cubicle if you need me,” said Lupin as he rearranged the knocked over wall.

Vernon muttered curse words under his breath as he led the two boys to his spacious office. “Now stay here and don’t get into any trouble!” he demanded as the boys looked out the window in awe. Ron started to sway as he gazed at the buildings below, and Harry led him away quickly.

“Yes, Uncle,” replied Harry obediently as Vernon mumbled, sitting on his leather chair preparing to get down to work.

But Harry and Ron were thinking exactly the opposite. They wanted to get into trouble, and they intended to cave into this whim…

One hour later, Vernon was hurriedly picking up his numerous phones, barking orders into them and then pressing the hold button rather loudly. This is how most of his conversations went.

“Yes!”

“No, what did I tell you before?”

“What? He won’t take it off? Put Dudley on the phone, Petunia.”

“If eggs were in my britches, yes!”

“Dudley, you have to take off that cotton candy outfit sometime. Well of course they threw stones at you; you were dressed like an idiot! No, my mistake, you were dressed like cotton candy!”

At this point, he slammed all his phones down. Sighing, he spun around on his chair when he saw the most amazing thing. Something so out of the ordinary it only had to be…

“HARRY!!!” he bellowed.