Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

What Would Be A Drill? by Kelsid

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Author's Note: I dedicate this chapter to all of my reviewers!!! Well, mostly honeydude, CraftySlytherin, Limey, MereRanger, and d3pr3ss3dNhappy for being faithful reviewers through and through! Now... onto the last chapter!

While Ron was still avidly watching his shovel fall to the ground when he dropped it, Harry kept plowing away at the dirt. Must keep digging… for Mum and Dad… for Lupin… for Sirius… he thought, flinging a shovelful across his shoulder with amazing strength.

Dudley, Mrs. Drew, Ethan and Vernon were all reading a book (or in Dudley’s case, attempting to read it). Mouthing out the words with slow patience, the fat boy stuttered, “The s- ooon… no… s… sun… sun!! The sun s… sets… the sun sets in a blah… bla… blazz…. Blaze!!! Blaze!!! The sun sets in a blaze of fiery... um…”

And so the evening went by. Lupin still hadn’t reappeared, but no one noticed because it simply wasn’t essential to the plotline yet.

The sound of sirens suddenly pierced the air. Harry looked up, startled. Ron began screaming loudly, unaware of what it was. “Be quiet!” Lupin commanded, running up between the two boys.

“What is it?” asked Ron, shaking hysterically in his shoes.

The flashing car accelerated right into the yard of Grunnings, stopping only before they narrowly missed Dudley, much to the disappointment of everyone. An Asian man hopped out, wearing a bright red uniform and a pink jester hat.

“Hullo! Are you the people involved in this Grunning’s contest, or whatever?” he asked cheerily, bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet. Harry could only stare at the strange man, as could Ron.

Ethan shot to his feet. “Oh no!” he cried. “I forget to schedule the blood tests!”

“No one said anything about blood tests!” Harry shouted nervously.

“What’s a blood test?” yelled Ron, but no one was paying attention.

“Yes, I’m the Blood Tester. Before anyone can enter a professional contest, they must have a blood test to see if everything’s all right and no one is pumped up on steroids. But, the chief organizer forgot to get it done. So it’s the Emergency Squad to the rescue!” He shook his head, letting the little bells on his hat jingle.

“Right…” said Harry, a little lost. But he soon found he had accumulated too much information when the man pulled a needle out of the car.

“Is this really necessary?” Lupin asked, eyeing the needle and Ron with anxiety as the boy had started to whimper pitifully.

“Oh yes,” replied the man, jiggling the syringe. “Absolutely imperative. Let’s do this red head lad first!”

Ron squealed, starting to run, but Lupin held him back. “Just close your eyes and count to ten,” he advised. “It’ll be over by then.”

Ron sat down heavily, resigned to his fate. “Don’t let it hurt me… too much,” he whispered dramatically, pulling up his sleeve. The man quickly inserted the needle, taking it out as fast as possible. “All right, you’re done,” the man said, watching as Ron’s eyes still remained glued together. “Um… lad?”

“That was it?” Ron asked, hope coming into his voice. “That was all?” The man nodded. “Oh,” he said in relief, and watched as the man took everyone else’s blood.

After shutting the door to the ambulance-like car, there were a couple of noises from inside where the man had disappeared with the samples. Finally, he emerged.

“We have some… um… very strange results here,” he managed to say, looking dazedly at the blood. “Not from Mr. Dursley or Mr. and Mrs. Ethan Drew… just all the rest.”

Vernon gasped. “MY SON IS A… YOU-KNOW-WHAT???” he cried, face turning purple.

The man sighed sadly. “Yes, Mr. Dursley… your son is an idiot. We’re sorry about that dreadful disease.”

Vernon let out a breath of relief.

“But the other people,” the man continued, “had… different results. Especially that one.” The blood tester pointed at Lupin, who glanced down at the ground, blushing slightly.

“The blood is very odd… all interrelated, too, however. Except that man has something extra along with the mix… very interesting…”

“It’s because he’s a werewolf!” shouted Dudley, looking happy that he remembered something.

Everyone stared at him, unable to believe a fact actually stuck in his brain. The boy was looking extremely proud of him, and smiled widely.

“Poor chap’s delusional,” laughed the man. “Poor lad… stupidity is a really hard disease to fight at… Anyway, because the blood is so highly irregular, you cannot participate in the Grunnings contest.”

THE END

Epilogue: Harry and Ron high-fived each other and ran away to Hogwarts, exhilarated that they didn’t have to do the Grunning’s thing.

The blood testing man drove away to Blood Headquarters, only to run over Lord Voldemort and get arrested for the dirty crime.

Ethan Drew ended up going right back to work, and decided to write new drill questions.

Mrs. Drew never forgot Lupin, and kept a picture of him in her desk always. She soon fell in love with another Marauder, though…But that’s another story.

Vernon Dursley was completely crushed, and ended up having to use Dudley for the drill competition.

Dudley Dursley competed and came in last. The only word he would say throughout the competition was ‘werewolf,’ but if prompted by his father, Dudley could say ‘The sun sets in a blaze of fiery…’ He refused to take off the cotton candy outfit and wore it to school for the rest of the year. He is still an avid sufferer of Shexxazonicmulipulsclorosis and stupidity.

Sirius wandered into Grunnings, where he met a particularly pretty secretary with blue hair. He has never been seen since.

Lupin went to the Burrow and fell in love with Ginny Weasl-

Harry stared at the paper in confusion. The story had been pretty good, up to the part when Sirius ran off with Mrs. Drew, but Lupin falling in love with Ginny??? Maybe he shouldn’t have given his assignment to Ron to collaborate with…

The assignment had been to “Write what happened to you over the summer. At least fifteen feet, the paper is due to Minerva McGonagall September 1st as entering the Great Hall.” Harry had been immediately pulled into despair. Nothing ever happened to him at the Dursley’s! So why not invent a few things…

Inviting Ron to write with him after the first chapter, things got a lot more interesting. Harry enjoyed poking fun at Dudley and Vernon and making them do stupid things. Yes, a lot more interesting than what really happened over the summer…

When Ron received the first part, he laughed out loud. He’d already finished his, so helping Harry wasn’t a problem. After writing a part, he’d send it to Harry, and when Harry wrote a part, he’d send it to Ron.

The story had ended sort of abruptly, but it was fifteen feet. No need to write more. Harry took a quill from his desk, pondering on what to write to Ron. Finally, he started to pen down a reply.

Dear Ron,

I liked the end of the story, especially the part about stupidity. That’s what Dudley suffers from, alright. Anyway, what was that deal about Lupin falling in love with Ginny? I mean, isn’t she a little young? Well, I hope McGonagall likes it. At least she’ll give it an A for creativity… I think. Write back soon- and answer me about that Lupin/Ginny thing,

Harry

The next day, Harry got a letter in return. It went something like this-

Dear Harry,

I liked the end too. It took me a bloody hour to finish, though. Whew. Now about the Lupin/Ginny thing… it’s a long story. But here it goes.

Once upon a time, Ginny found me writing a part of the story- specifically, the part where Dudley’s like, ‘Do I look like cotton candy?’ She demanded she get to write some too- so I let her. And the stuff she wrote was pretty good. So she added loads of brilliant stuff here and there. She actually became a pretty good partner, considering she got over her infatuation with Dean Thomas. But we figured she had a crush on someone else, since she was quiet most the time.

Well, we figured out who it was when Lupin came to dinner one time. He would say, you know, ‘Would you pass the salt, please?’ to Ginny, and she’d completely melt like butter. It was quite funny to watch, actually.

I think Lupin understood what was going on, but he didn’t say anything. If he did, Ginny probably would have died of a heart attack or something.

So whenever she put stuff down, it would include Lupin. Remember all the parts about how handsome Lupin is? That was Ginny. I tried to get her to take it out, but she wouldn’t. So it’s stuck, mate.

Sorry.

Ron

Harry sighed. So that explained it! He had started to doubt Ron's sexuality... Well, good thing that was cleared up.

When Ron and Harry entered the Great Hall two months later, McGonagall stood, eyeing them. “Do you have your papers?” she asked, beady eyes gleaming.

Harry smiled and stuck out his paper. “It might be sort of long… but it’s worth reading. I promise. And it’s all true.”

McGonagall furrowed her brows. She caught the hint of laughter in his voice, so she only commented, “Are you alright, Potter? You sound a bit odd.”

“It’s only my Shexxazonicmulipulsclorosis. Don’t worry.”

And Harry and Ron ran, laughing, into the Great Hall as McGonagall stared at them in complete confusion.

Author's Note: Hope you liked the surprise ending- it just came to me when I was thinking about the blood test thing. This was just getting a little too random and I needed some reason for it. So I hope you liked the story- That's it!