Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Over the Hill...and Back Again by Butterfly

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
For a second after she woke up, Gina didn't remember anything that had happened the previous night. Then everything came back. The spell. The body. Grandma....

Gina sat upright, looking around. She was in her mother's old room. The walls were painted lilac, with several pictures of cats and Kneazles prowling in their picture frames. It looked close to the same as when her mother had slept here at her age.

Not bothering to make the double-sized bed, Gina threw the covers off of her and ran to the room across from hers. Will was laying in an upright position, a thick book in his lax grip, and Blake, who looked like he collapsed of the bed, was the picture of exhaustion.

Gina shook Blake impatiently. "Blake, get up! Come on." Blake groaned and mumbled, not opening his eyes. Gina groaned, put her mouth right next to his ear and yelled, "Blake!!" Blake screamed and jumped up, breathing quickly.

"What did you do that for?" he yelled, his hand over his ear.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Gina said with mock sweetness. She turned to Will, and shook his shoulder. Will moaned and wiped his eyes.

Blake yawned and stretched. "Grandma's not awake, is she?" he asked.

Gina shook her head. "I don't think so. I'll go check." She turned and headed out the door. Will looked expectantly at Blake.

“We might as well get Grandpa. Where did you hide him?” he asked.

Blake yawned again, and pointed to the closet. Will stared at him, confused, then got up and opened the closet door. Harry’s body toppled out headfirst onto the floor. Will turned him over, grabbed him by the armpits, and heaved. Will groaned as he dragged Harry on the floor a few feet. He stopped, panting, at the foot of his bed. Then Will realized he had to get Harry on the bed, and swore.

Gina ran back in the room. “Grandma’s still knocked out, I think we’ll have to wake her.” She looked from Will’s sweat-drenched face to Harry’s body lying on the floor. “How about Blake does that?” A loud snore came from the next bed; Blake had fallen asleep again. Gina muttered in disgust. She and Will lifted Harry onto Will’s bed, and Gina, grinning, walked over to Blake.

“AH!” Blake woke up with a jolt, hand over his other ear. “Why do you keep doing that?”

“Time to wake Grandpa up, Sleeping Beauty,” Gina said, smirking. Blake rolled his eyes and grabbed his wand from the bedside table. “Enervate!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry woke up with a huge headache, which surprisingly didn’t seem to be related to his scar. He ached all over, so he figured he didn’t sleep that well that night. He opened his eyes, and gasped.

He wasn’t at the Dursleys, or even the Burrow. He was in a small room, with walls decorated with posters of the Pride of Portree Quidditch team, and several pictures of a redhead with glasses on a broomstick, with a black-haired girl, or with what looked to be his parents. The room itself was a deep purple, to match the Quidditch team.

It suddenly occurred to Harry that his clothes were much baggier than usual. He looked down, and realized he was wearing a long navy blue robe, the kind he had seen Mr. Weasley wear to work. It was many sizes too big, and the person who owned it was much taller than he was. This only confused Harry more. He looked up, and noticed three teenagers, a girl and two boys, sitting on the bed across from him.

The older boy looked to be a little bit older than he was. He had carmel blonde hair, deep blue eyes, and glasses that looked eerily like his own. The girl sitting next to him looked to be the same age, with thick auburn hair. The younger boy had red hair that rivaled the Weasleys. Harry noted that the girl and younger boy both had vivid green eyes. His eyes.

“Where am I? How did I get here? Who are you?” Harry asked, trying to keep his voice calm, but failing.

The girl looked worried. “You don’t remember us?”

“Should I?” Harry didn’t recall ever meeting these people before, although they all looked strangely familiar.

The older looking boy smirked. “Hi Harry. It’s the year 2046. You’ve been sleeping for fifty years!”

“What!”

“Ow!”

The older boy glared at the girl, nursing his now bruised arm. “I’m sorry! It was just a joke!”

The younger boy rolled his eyes. “It can’t be a joke. It wasn’t funny!” He turned to Harry, an apologetic look in his eyes. “Don’t mind my brother, he’s a loser who doesn’t know when to quit. My name is Will, by the way. That’s my cousin Gina,” he pointed to the girl, “and my brother Blake.” The older boy waved.

Harry gaped at them. “I don’t recognize any of you from Hogwarts. How did I get here? Where is here?”

The girl, Gina, said, “Well, my cousin,” she gestured toward Blake, “cast a spell on you. The truth is….” She paused, as if unsure of what to say. “You’re, uh, our grandfather. Blake cast a spell to make you fifty years younger.”

Harry stared at them. There was no way that he could be their grandparent. He wasn’t even older than two of them! But they even looked like him….

“If you don’t believe us, then look at this,” Will said. He grabbed one of the pictures off the wall, and handed it to Harry. Harry looked at it. In the picture was a redhead with glasses, between his parents. But it can’t be….Harry looked at the parents closely. The mother had vivid red hair and warm brown eyes. If she weren’t way too old, Harry would have thought she was Ginny. And the father…the father was him! A taller, older man, with no visible scar, and untidy faded-black hair.

“How could this be possible?” Harry asked, still not daring to believe it. “How can I skip fifty years and not realize it?”

“Well,” Will said, “you didn’t really skip fifty years. You were sixty-six, you’re birthday was yesterday. My brother just cast a spell on you to make you sixteen, and apparently you have the memory of your sixteen year old self. So, yeah, you’re in the future, but you didn’t do any time-traveling.”

Harry tried to wrap his mind around this, but it only made his head ache more. He stood up, walking to the mirror. He stared at his reflection, when he noticed something was missing….

“My scar! Where’s my scar?” Harry asked, putting his hand up to his forehead.

“You better sit down,” Gina said. Harry, simply because he didn’t know what else to do, sat down on the bed across from the trio.

“We better start from the beginning,” Gina said. “What’s the last thing you remember?”

Harry’s thoughts went immediately to Sirius, and his eyes welled up with tears. He furiously wiped them away. “I remember my fifth year, nothing after that.”

A look of yearning showed in Blake’s face, and he opened his mouth to speak, but Gina glared at him, and he remained silent.

“Well,” Gina continued, “in your seventh year, you vanquished Lord Voldemort.”

Harry was both shocked and amazed at the news. He had won? He had beaten Voldemort after all? He needed details. “What happened? How did I win?”

Gina paused. “You never told us. It’s one of the only things you won’t talk about.” Blake started speaking, but Gina kicked him in the shin. “Anyway, the reason your scar isn’t visible anymore,” Gina continued, “is because now that Lord Voldemort is gone, your connection is gone, and your scar was a result of the connection.

“After you killed Voldemort, there was a two year period that the Death Eaters tried to get after you. Several were rounded up by the Ministry, but some got away. Over the past ten years, some people have tried to organize and follow in Voldemort’s footsteps, but nobody has been successful yet.

“All the while, you were taking Auror training. You are a famous Auror, and you’re responsible for stopping most of the mini-revolts. Your job is kind of boring now, just a bunch of paperwork, a mishap here and there, nothing serious anymore.

“As for your personal life,” Gina smiled, “you got married to Ginny shortly after you finished Auror training.”

“Me and Ginny?” Harry gasped. “We got married? But I don’t even like her that way!”

Blake smiled. “Yeah, you started going out in your sixth year, on Christmas. It took Ron and Hermione till seventh year to get together.”

“Ron and Hermione?” Harry laughed. It was obvious how much Ron cared about Hermione. He felt happy for the two of them.

“Ron and Hermione had four kids,” Gina said. “They had identical triplets, Tyler, Jesse, and Max. They run Weasleys’ Wizard Wheeses now, helping Fred and George out. And they have a daughter, Zoe. And all of them have kids of their own.

“You and Ginny had two kids, a girl and a boy. The girl, Cailey, is now married to Johnathon Viscomi. I’m their daughter,” Gina explained. “I have an older brother. He’s playing for the Pride of Portree Quidditch team as Chaser. Your son, Sean, works at the Ministry of Magic as an Auror, and Blake and Will are his two sons. With me so far?”

Harry nodded, fixing into his mind everything Gina told her.

“Ginny volunteers at a Kneazle Breeding Area, the same place Cailey works, and Ron’s an Auror, like you. Hermione is an author, and she’s even had her works published.”

Harry smiled. All the people he recognized all had careers they wanted as students, including him. It sounded like everybody had a great life. Even so, there was still a question that burned in his mind.

“Who died in the war against Voldemort?”

The three became noticeably tense. Will was the one who answered. “Albus Dumbledore died in the end of your seventh year, in the fight. Professor McGonagall took his place. Remus Lupin was killed by Death Eaters not long afterwards. When the Death Eaters raided the Ministry, Percy died, and so did Mad-Eye Moody. Several others were badly hurt, and a lot of people died that you wouldn’t know.”

Harry’s heart sank. A lot of people he cared about died during the final battle. He wasn’t sure whether he was pleased or ashamed that he didn’t remember any of their deaths. He longed for Ron and Hermione, the teenage ones that were in his own time.

“Harry,” Gina said, interrupting Harry’s musings, “you have to promise to not reveal yourself to anyone. Nobody knows except the three of us what happened to you. Don’t let anybody see you. If somebody did….” Gina trailed off.

“But, if I don’t tell anyone, how am I supposed to change back?” Harry asked.

“We’ll figure it out,” Blake said. “Just promise you will stay hidden.”

Harry looked for one worried face to the next, and sighed. “Fine, I promise.”