Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Waking Up Harry by KirstiR

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Surprise! I’m still not JK Rowling. Therefore I don’t own Harry Potter or any of the characters in the Hogwarts world.

WAKING UP HARRY

Chapter Eight: All's Well That Ends Well


Hermione had pictured this moment during countless sleepless nights and endless hours spent analysing and fine-tuning every detail of “The Plan.” In one recurrent daydream, Harry would clasp her to his chest, declare his undying love for her, and sweep her off her feet with a burning, passionate kiss. In another, he would kiss her shyly, then overwhelmed by love and desire, proceed to snog the living daylights out of her.

But this was a first kiss. A first kiss between best friends--best friends who both wanted . . . something more. This kiss was a little awkward, a little desperate (on Harry’s part), and very, very brief; the merest brush of lip on lip.

And yet, the moment she felt his mouth touch hers, Hermione had no problem following Harry’s suggestion to stop thinking. She could not have kept a thought in her head at that point if her life depended on it. Sensible Hermione and Hermione-in-Love were temporarily silenced. Then as quickly as it began, the kiss ended and Harry pulled away.

Hermione could feel his warm breath against her forehead. Slowly, she raised her head, immediately recognising the uncertainty in his beautiful eyes. Mixed in with the uncertainty was wonder, and . . . fear, and”joy?

Harry’s mind was reeling with the boldness of his action. In the brief time since he and Hermione had taken refuge in the Shrieking Shack, they had run the gamut of behaviours and emotions: from worry (hers) to confusion (his) to anxiety (hers) to anger (also hers) to sadness (ditto) to tenderness (both of them) to worry (hers again), until he couldn’t take it anymore and just had to kiss her. She had looked so cute and worried that he had not been able to help himself.

And now? Now he was having a hard time shutting down the voices in his head which were screaming at him to ‘slow down! Don’t terrify the poor girl. What if she doesn’t want this? What if she pulls out her wand and hexes me? What if I’ve been reading her “signals” all wrong? After all, my previous experiences with women have hardly been smashing. In fact, Cho was my ONLY experience and that was a total disaster.

But on the other hand,’ he argued with himself, his thoughts sporadic and disjointed, ‘there has been that whole patting, stroking, almost-mouth kissing thing going on. And those clothes”that skirt and that top. Then that kiss . . . the way her lips felt . . .what is she thinking? Was this . . . is this, what she wants?’


“Hermione, I . . .”

“Harry. . .”

They both laughed nervously.

“You first,” said Hermione.

‘She’s smiling! If she’s smiling, then maybe this is what she wants. I know her so well; in fact, we can almost read each other’s minds. So why is it that I can’t be sure now? Should I kiss her again? What will this do to our friendship? Or have I already messed that up by kissing her? And yet she doesn’t seem upset”she looks . . . she looks happy.’

While Harry’s internal debate had been going on, his hands, as of their own accord, were slowly making their way around Hermione’s waist. All his senses were on full alert. The skin of her cheek felt so soft against his; the peachy-fragrance of her hair smelt even more delicious close up; the glow in her beautiful brown eyes was”for him? Could it be? Could it really be?

Hermione’s hands, for their part, had managed to wind themselves in Harry’s messy ink-black hair, something she had been dying to do for ages. And his mouth! Hermione had always been fascinated by Harry’s mouth”his well-defined lips looked smooth and inviting, especially now when they were tilted up in a soft smile. Held this close to him, she could see the little bristles on his cheeks and chin and a tiny spot of dried blood from where his razor had nicked him. She untangled one hand and caressed the spot with a gentle finger.

“Do I have something on my face?” Harry asked worriedly.

“Just a bit of dried blood.”

“Oh, yeah,” he chuckled. “Cut myself shaving this morning. The ever-graceful Potter, eh?”

Hermione smiled and rubbed at the spot. “Does it hurt?”

“Yeah. I think you need to kiss it better.” ‘Hey! Where did that come from? ’ Harry blushed furiously, feeling as if the connection between his brain and his mouth had become completely severed.

Hermione smiled again. Leaning forward, she laid a butterfly-soft kiss on his cheek.

“All better?” she asked. “Any other ‘owies’ you need me to fix?”

Harry’s eyes darkened to a forest-green and his expression was unreadable.

“Ummm,” he managed. ‘She looks incredibly beautiful right now. Who knew that my bossy little Hermione could be so . . . playful. Brilliant, yes; concerned, sure; intuitive, certainly; loyal, absolutely--but playful? That’s a side I’ve never seen before. I like it though. I like it a lot.’

“Harry?” her voice held a tinge of uncertainty at his long silence.

“Ummm? Uh . . . oh right!” he grinned mischievously. “I do have one. It’s a big one though. Do you think you’re up for it?” he asked, pressing a finger to his mouth and indicating his lips.

“Harry Potter!” Hermione blushed and smacked his hand teasingly. She pretended to think for a moment. “Hmmmmm. I don’t know. If it’s a big enough ‘owie,’ maybe you need Madame Pomphrey to fix it for you.”

“Eeeww, Hermione!” Harry said, giving her a horrified glance. “Do you know what kind of an image you just put into my brain? I’ll never be able to look her in the eye again!”

“Gross, Harry,” she giggled with another smack, this time to his shoulder. “That’s not what I meant!”

He laughed again and then looked down, his arms falling to his sides.

A brief silence and then--

“Hermione, what are we doing?” Harry asked with a somber look.

Hermione chuckled a bit nervously. “Well. . . ummmm . . . you just---er”you just kissed me.”

“Yeah, I know,” said Harry, turning a dull red. “What I mean is . . . what does this do to our friendship?”

“To our friendship?” Hermione repeated.

Harry nodded seriously. “Yeah. You are the most important person in the world to me, Hermione”you and Ron, of course,” he added hastily, his face becoming an even deeper shade of scarlet. “I wouldn’t want anything to get in the way of our friendship. My track record with girls, and with kissing, has not exactly been stellar,” he added with a self-depreciating laugh. “Actually, it’s been bloody awful. I probably don’t have it in me to be good at either; at girls or at . . . kissing.”

“Oh, Harry,” Hermione interjected sympathetically. “You don’t give yourself enough credit. Your one experience with kissing, with girls really, was with Cho, right?”

He nodded. “Don’t forget the fiasco in fourth year. I doubt Parvati will ever forget,” he noted with a dismal laugh. “I must have been the worst date in Hogwarts’ history!”

“No, that would be Ron,” Hermione said, earning a small chuckle from Harry. “Poor Padma! Anyway,” she added, more seriously, “you can’t condemn yourself based on two unfortunate dating experiences and one, um . . . kissing experience.” Now it was Hermione’s turn to blush.

Harry picked up one of her hands and laced it with his.

“I dunno,” he said doubtfully, absently playing with her fingers. “I’m afraid I probably really am a bad kisser.”

“Harry, you’re a brilliant kisser,” Hermione said earnestly. “And kissing your best friend doesn’t mean you will lose her as a friend.”

“It could though. . .” he paused as the meaning of her words finally sunk in. “Really? You thought I was b-brilliant . . . that the kiss was . . .” he stammered, flushing. “So, uh, so, you liked it? I mean, it was . . . I mean . . . it was . . . er . . . good?”

Hermione pretended to consider for a moment. Then, seeing Harry’s worried expression, melted.

“Yes, Harry.” She reached up to trace his jaw with her free hand. “It was very good, although it could have been more . . . ummmm . . . extensive,” she whispered, raising her eyes to his somewhat shyly.

“Extensive,” he whispered back, pulling her hands behind her back and then holding them there in one of his. “Yeah, I think I’d like that too.” Dipping his head down, he caught up her chin with his free hand and looked at her tenderly. “Do you think . . . ?”

In response, Hermione gave a tiny smile and reached up to touch his lips to hers.

At the first touch of Hermione’s mouth on his, Harry’s thoughts vanished into oblivion. She was soft and inviting, and this time he pressed harder, his lips tingling at her touch. His hands began moving--from her chin to her shoulders to her waist to her back, until he had virtually eliminated all space from between them. Hermione made a soft sound deep in her throat and Harry felt the blood rush from his head. Suddenly he was desperate to taste her.

Hermione’s heart thumped louder and louder, until she was sure he must be able to hear it. Waves of pleasure washed over her as Harry deepened the kiss. She had wanted this for so long and now that it was happening she abandoned all thought, all plans, and just felt”his warmth, his tenderness, his scent”citrusy soap, grass, and something else, something indefinable”something that was just . . . Harry.

She wanted to . . . needed to . . . get even closer. Releasing her hold on his jaw, she shifted down to his shoulders and then slid her arms under his and around to his back. Urgently grasping fistfuls of his shirt, she pressed herself tightly against him. She felt rather than heard him groan, as his tongue ran along the seam of her lips, seeking entrance. She opened her mouth and soon they were both intoxicated by the touch and taste of each other. She could feel him trembling and she was herself experiencing such an uncontrollable shaking in her legs that she was in danger of collapsing. Her stomach quivered also, as a thousand butterflies ricocheted off in every direction.

Harry had never felt anything like this before. The closest he had come was when he soared high above the grounds of Hogwarts on his Firebolt”or plunged to the earth chasing after the snitch”or back in third year during that impromptu ride on Buckbeak. But this! This was . . . exhilarating . . . unbelievable! He could kiss her forever and never get tired!

He did, however, require oxygen; after an additional minute or two of passionate kissing, he broke away, gasping.

Hermione, too, was breathless, her chest heaving as she took in great gulps of air. For several moments, the only sound in the room was of two people desperately attempting to fill their lungs with oxygen.

Then,

“Wow,” managed Hermione.

“Yeah,” Harry agreed. His voice sounded oddly husky and he cleared his throat. “Yeah.”

They both leaned forward at the same time, hands linked and foreheads touching as they continued to regain control of their breathing. Despite the rather intense snogging that had just taken place, both Harry and Hermione found themselves strangely shy, overwhelmed by the experience they had just shared.

Harry cleared his throat again.

“H-Hermione?”

“Yes, Harry?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Of course,” she responded.

“This is a little bit embarrassing,” he said with a small laugh.

Hermione pulled back and looked at him earnestly. “Harry, you know you can tell me anything! I know you so well; you shouldn’t ever be embarrassed in front of me.”

“Umm, especially now, right?” Harry answered with a twinkle, pulling on her hands.

“Prat,” Hermione responded affectionately. She chuckled and blushed, then gave him his arm a swat. “Now, what is it you wanted to ask me?”

“It’s about this past week; well, this whole month actually,” he said.

“Oh?” she said, a smile beginning to tug at the corners of her mouth. ‘Here goes, Granger. Confession time!’

“Where you trying . . . I mean did you deliberately . . . I mean . . .”

“Spit it out, Harry,” she chuckled.

He glared at her in mock exasperation. “You aren’t going to help me out here, are you?”

“Why, Harry,” she answered with an innocent smirk, “whatever do you mean? Help you out with what?”

“I think you know very well what I mean, Miss-Fake-Innocence. If you won’t willingly help me out, maybe a little encouragement is in order,” he said, letting go of her hands and wiggling his fingers threateningly. “Don’t forget, how well I know you, too, including the location of all your ticklish spots!”

Before Hermione could get away, he grabbed her and began tickling her in her most vulnerable spot”the sides of her waist.

“No . . . don’t . . . stop . . . Harry!” she managed to gasp out in between shrieks of laughter. “You are . . . you are so going to get it, Potter . . .” shriek, shriek. “Just wait . . .”

“Tell me, Hermione! Tell me and I’ll stop,” he said, laughing.

“All right! . . . okay, enough!”

“You’ll tell me?”

“YES!” Hermione was doubled over, laughing so hard that tears had begun to stream down her face.

“All right, then, Miss Granger. Spill! And this better be good, or I’m going for the next spot!” he threatened, smiling and pulling his hands away.

Hermione glared at him and swiped at her eyes. She stabbed a finger into his chest. “Feeling pretty sure of ourselves, aren’t we Potter!”

Harry just grinned and wiggled his fingers.

“Fine!” she snapped. ‘That grin of his should be illegal!’ she thought. Hermione was only pretending to be angry, however. Secretly she was rather pleased with herself. Obviously the plan had worked to perfection!

“Well, Hermione, I’m waiting,” said Harry still grinning.

“Fine!” she said again. “What exactly is it that you want to know?”

“For starters, I want you to tell me what was up with the way you’ve been acting lately. The . . . er . . . the patting, and the stroking, and the grabbing . . .”

“Grabbing?” exclaimed Hermione indignantly. “Harry, I don’t grab!”

“Call it whatever you want. You know what I mean,” Harry said. “I just want to know if I’ve been imagining things or if you’ve been behaving . . . differently . . . with me lately. And knowing you that way I do,” he continued, “things like that are usually part of some grand scheme. Was I part of some grand scheme, Hermione?”

Scheme sounds so cold and calculating,” Hermione protested. “I don’t scheme. I do, however, plan; and rather brilliantly at times, I might add,” she said, looking down at her feet with a small smile.

“Hmmm, yes. You do have a well-deserved reputation for being the smartest witch of our time,” Harry agreed, grinning broadly. “So,” he added softly, “you were driving me mad deliberately, were you?”

“I had to, Harry,” she said in that bossy tone he knew so well; she was still, however, not looking at him. “You were being incredibly dense about your feelings for me, and I decided to . . . um . . . help you with that.”

“Hmmmmm.”

“You’re not . . . angry, are you . . . with me?” she asked in a small voice.

“Considering the torture you’ve put me through, I should be,” he said, trying desperately to sound stern.

Hermione raised her head, somewhat alarmed.

“However,” he continued, “considering that it was for a good cause . . .” one hand began stroking her curly hair “. . . and that we’ve been the best of friends for so many years . . .” the other snuck around her waist “. . . and that you helped me wake up . . .” he pulled her closer and caressed the strip of bare skin at her midriff “. . . I think I’d rather not waste any time being angry when I’d rather do this . . .” he kissed her neck “. . . and this . . .” he moved up to her ear “. . . and this . . .”

Suffice it to say that Harry was no longer asleep. He was, in fact, awake, and more than happy to spend the next wee while showing Hermione how very awake he really was.

Fin

A/N: Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the story! All of you who reviewed: Shentaro, Call Me Tonks, VoldemortsPatronus, Potter freak0515, HPfan28, Lovechild, Tennisprincess15, The Alchemist, Poesie, Waddiwasi chik, Kernkraft21, LittleTom45, Lovestruck, Stephen, Lex Malfoy, Pink jazmin, Phoebe Cat, Hermione Granger15, HP freak666, Rwanner, WritingHarry182, SiriusStar07, Fifthyear, TNT Angel, and Secretkeeper --thank you so much.

To Physical Graffiti, Emma 4 Irish, HarryHermione, Silverquil, and MartiOwlsten, who submitted four or more reviews”big hugs and a thank you, thank you, thank you!

And finally, to UltimateHr, Moonwitch, and Dave--enormous virtual hugs and kisses and a HUGE thank-you for being faithful readers and reviewers of every chapter! I’m very happy that my little story may have brightened up your lives, even if just for a moment!

Adieu for now!

KirstiR