Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 10: Potions and Quidditch

Harry woke up only a few hours after he had fallen sleep, but he looked around the room and saw that Neville, Seamus, and Dean had already left. He got dressed and walked over to shake Ron awake. Ron sat up quickly; his red hair sticking up about a half-foot above his head. One eye was closed, and his mouth was open. It was clear that Harry was not the only one suffering from lack of sleep.

“Leevmeehalown...imbizeewitdahouzelf”

“Ron get up, it’s time for breakfast. I’m headed downstairs now.”

Harry turned and left, leaving Ron to wake up a bit more.

On his way downstairs, Harry met Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle.

“Well if it isn’t the ‘boy who lived’” Malfoy smirked. He dropped his voice to an inaudible whisper. “Enjoy it while you can, Potter. Now that my father’s out of Azkaban “ you won’t be the boy who lived for long.”

Harry glared at him.

“You’re scum father doesn’t scare me, Malfoy.”

“What about the Dark Lord, scared of him, Potter?”

“Well he hasn’t managed to kill me yet... and it’s not like he hasn’t tried," Harry responded coolly.

He kept walking, but Malfoy continued at his heels.

“So I heard you’ve been made Quidditch Captain... are you training hard so Slytherin doesn’t totally embarrass you in three weeks?”

“For your information, Gryffindor is going to win. And I’m not the Captain. Ron is.”

“The Weasel King is captain?” Malfoy laughed scornfully. “That’s gold. Weasley chosen over Potter again; first prefect, now this “ what, is your Mudblood friend going to choose him over you, too?”

“Shut up, Malfoy.”

“Struck a chord there, did I Potter?”

Harry didn’t answer. They had reached the Great Hall and, determined to get Malfoy off his back, he just turned without a word, and walked to the Gryffindor table, and took a seat beside Hermione.

“Well it seems Malfoy’s back to normal, if not worse...”

“Ignore him, Harry.”

“I plan on it.”

Harry was still pretty tired, as was Hermione, so they continued to eat in silence, when they were joined by Ron.

“Morning...”

Hermione looked up from her porridge.

“Morning,” she said shyly. Ron smiled at her, than he turned to Harry.

“Thanks for waking me up, mate. Probably wouldn’t have managed that on my own this morning. I had this weird dream I was doing ironing with a house elf...”

Hermione lit up.

“Maybe I’ve finally gotten through to you about S.P.E.W, and you feel bad for house-elves and all the work they have to do.”

Ron hesitated; he clearly did not want to contradict Hermione, especially since things were going so well between the two of them.

“Yeah, maybe.”

Hermione beamed at him, then turned to continue her porridge. Ron took this opportunity to shake his head and roll his eyes.

“Well, we better get going to Potions, Harry.”

Hermione said, standing up. Harry sighed.

“I s’pose. See you later Ron.”

“Yeah, and remember we have Quidditch practice tonight.”

“Of course I remember, Captain.”

Ron grinned and got up to head for the library, while Hermione and Harry headed down to the dungeons.

“So, how’re things with you and Ron?”

Hermione blushed.

“Fine. Can I ask you a favor?”

“Sure, anything.”

“Well, the first Hogsmeade trip is this Friday, and well...”

“You want to go with Ron alone?”

“If you don’t mind. Of course, he’d have to want to “ so I don’t even know “ ”

“It’s fine Hermione. And I’ll even drop some hints for Ron, too.”

“Thanks, Harry...” she smiled at him. “You’re my best friend, you know that...”

“I should hope so,” Harry joked.

“Can we please leave our social lives at the door?” said a cold voice behind them.

They had just entered Snape’s classroom.

“Yes, Professor Snape,” they said in unison, as they sat down quietly at their desks.

Harry smiled at Luna, who was next to him, and tried to ignore Malfoy, who was smirking at him from across the room.

“Today, we will be learning a very difficult, dangerous Potion. It is not for use outside of this classroom...but since this is N.E.W.T. level, I thought most of you should be able to handle it.”

His eyes rested on Harry for a moment.

“You may have heard me mention it before, It is a complicated potion that allows you to borrow another person’s physical appearance. It is called the Polyjuice Potion.”

Harry caught Hermione’s eye, and grinned.

“Is there something you find funny, Potter ”

“No, sir.”

“I didn’t think so. I would think, however, that someone with your lack of skill in Potions, would take this class more seriously, unless you would like to leave?”

“No, sir. I apologize.”

“Alright then, we shall proceed.”

They spent the rest of the class taking notes on Polyjuice potion, since all the ingredients wouldn’t be ready for another week. Finally, after what seemed like forever, the bell rang and Harry and Hermione were free.

“Well the next few classes should be easy, after all “ we have brewed Polyjuice Potion before,” she dropped her voice so only Harry could hear her.

“No, Hermione “ you brewed it. Ron and I just took it.”

“You helped.”

“Barely.”

“I suppose you’re right, but at least you’ve had some experience... it’s better than nothing.”

After that, they joined Ron for Charms, after which Hermione had to leave for Ancient Runes. Ron and Harry left for Quidditch practice. That evening, they were to break the news to the team that Ron was now Captain, Ginny being the only other one who knew. They gathered everyone in the changing room, and Ron stood up nervously and cleared his throat.

“I have an announcement to make.”

Euan, Katie, Kirke and Sloper looked up curiously.

“Harry has resigned as Captain and, very graciously, handed the position over to me.”

Euan, Kirke and Sloper only seemed mildly surprised, while Katie looked to Harry for confirmation.

“Why did you resign?”

“I think Ron deserves Captain more than I do, and I know he’ll do a good job. Besides, I don’t know if I’m really up for it.”

Ron beamed at Harry, then turned to head onto the Quidditch pitch, followed by the rest of the team. Katie stopped Harry.

“Are you sure about this, Harry? I think I know what you’re doing...”

“I’m sure, Katie. I already talked to McGonagall “ Ron will do a great job, you just have to give him a chance,” he stopped and sighed. “It’s what he’s always wanted.”

Katie looked at him with admiration.

“It’s really amazing of you, to give up Captain for him...”

“He’s my best friend.”

“Still...”

“Thanks.”

Katie smiled, than turned and followed the rest of the team onto the pitch. Harry walked slowly, a few feet behind her. He had known Katie for years, played Quidditch, alongside her but they had never really talked much. Her praise made his spirits feel unusually high while they practiced. He watched her fly as she, Ginny, and Euan ran Chaser drills that Ron had assigned.

She’s very good, Harry thought to himself. I never noticed before.

After a couple hours of various exercises, Ron blew a whistle.

“All right, that’s it for tonight, good job everyone.”

They all flew their brooms down to the ground and dismounted, then headed into the changing rooms to put their school robes back on. Ginny and Katie told Ron he did a great job, then left for dinner together. Soon Harry and Ron were left alone.

“So, honestly... what did you think? I found the drills in a Quidditch magazine...was it alright, I mean I think I did okay “ but...”

“You were excellent. You make a great Captain, Ron.”

Ron’s ears turned pink.

“Well, I don’t know how I could possibly improve you as a Seeker... I think you’re too good for the rest of us.”

“Whatever...”

“Seriously. I was paying close attention to you “ you probably didn’t notice because you were too busy watching Katie,” Ron remarked, casually.

“What do you mean...I wasn’t “ I mean, why would you say...”

“Fine, whatever you say Harry. I’m starving, you?”

Harry hesitated for a second, still thinking about what Ron had said a moment ago.

“Yeah, let’s go.”

And with that they walked across the grounds, back to the castle to enjoy dinner.