Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 13: Dumbledore’s Advice

The six of them burst into the Entrance Hall, out of breath.

“I’ve got to get... to the Owlery... send Mum an owl...find out if Dad “ ” Ron was gasping for air. He had run to the castle as fast as his legs could carry him. As it turned out, however, there was no need to go to the Owlery. Professor McGonagall came striding over to the group, looking anxious.

“Mr. Weasley, an urgent owl just arrived for you... I think it’s something concerning the recent events at the Ministry.”

She handed the letter to Ron; Ginny looked down at the envelope, her lip trembling. Ron ripped it open, and quickly began to read. He let out a sigh of relief.

“Dad’s fine. He’s upset “ he knew a few of the people who were killed...but he wasn’t hurt.”

The tension of the group subsided. Ginny was crying tears of relief.

“Thank goodness,” Hermione said breathlessly.

The group was quiet for a few moments.

“Let’s go upstairs,” suggested Harry.

“Yeah,” agreed Hermione. “I think we all need to sit down.”

By the time they had reached the common room, the relief that Mr. Weasley was okay had subsided, and was instead replaced with the anxiety of what had happened.

“What do you suppose it was about?” asked Katie. “I mean, the Minister said they were just trying to send a message “ but I don’t think so.”

“Yeah “ they were definitely after something,” agreed Harry.

“Well,” Hermione said. “Whatever they want, it must have something to do with the two people they took with them.”

“Yeah, I bet they just killed the other five because they got in the way...” Ron said.

“Or for fun...” Harry added, darkly.

“Whatever it was about,” said Ginny. “This is it. It’s started “ we’re at war.”

“There wasn’t any proof that it was a Death Eater, it could have been some random lunatic,” said Dean, as though he just didn’t want to accept what Ginny had said.

“I highly doubt a random lunatic could just walk into the Ministry of Magic, looking like Kingsley Shacklebolt, kill five people and then force two more to leave with him. Especially in the Law Enforcement office, it’s filled with Aurors,” said Ron.

Everyone, including Dean, knew he was right. This was definitely one of Voldemort’s followers.

While the other three sat talking about what had happened, Hermione and Ron took Harry to the side.

“You have to go to Dumbledore, Harry,” Hermione said urgently.

“Why?” Harry asked. What would going to Dumbledore accomplish?

“Harry “ Voldemort is having people killed already. And you need to know, more than anybody “ even the Minister of Magic “ what he’s after. It could have something to do with you!”

“Yeah, mate “ and you need to be ready, too “ in case he comes after you next...”

“You’re right, you’re both right. I’ll go to Dumbledore.”

They stood looking at him expectantly.

“What, you want me to go this instant? He’s probably busy...”

“Then wait outside his office... Harry this is serious.”

Harry realized they were right. He had to go now.

“I don’t know what I’d do without the two of you.”

“You’re welcome, mate “ now go.”

He left for the portrait hole, Katie stopped him.

“Harry, where are you going?”

“I have to go see Dumbledore “ it’s really important, I’ll see you later,” he kissed her cheek, than left the common room. He walked quickly, when he was halfway there, he met Professor McGonagall. Not wanting to have to guess the password to the headmaster’s office again, he stopped her.

“Professor McGonagall, I really need to speak to Professor Dumbledore,” he said urgently.

“I was just headed to his office, Potter. Come with me,” she told him, walking briskly.

This surprised Harry a little, he was expecting to be told that the headmaster was busy, but he really didn’t think about it much. They had reached the stone statue that was the entrance to Dumbledore’s office.

“Chocolate Frog.”

McGonagall said the password and the entrance to the office opened. They went inside.

“I came to bring you the latest update on the Ministry incident, Albus. I met Potter on my way here, and he said he needed to speak with you.”

“Thank you, Minerva. If you could leave us alone, please.”

“Yes, Albus.”

And with that, she handed him the letter she was carrying, then turned and left.

“I’ll be with you in a minute, Harry “ I just want to read this, first.”

Harry waited anxiously while Dumbledore read the letter, he looked very serious.

“It seems that they confirmed the Ministry attack to have been conducted by a Death Eater, they left the Dark Mark at the scene...I assumed it was the attack that prompted your visit; am I correct?” Dumbledore asked, peering at Harry over his half-moon glasses.

“Yes, Professor.”

“Is there anything in particular you want to ask me?”

“No, Professor. I just thought that I should come see you. If this war has started, and if Voldemort comes after me “ I don’t know, I just thought I should talk to you...”

“Well you made a good decision in coming to see me straight away,” Dumbledore said, as he stood up. “Harry, I don’t want you to let what’s going on consume you “ but you have to be prepared for what’s coming. I think you should know, the Order believes there was more motivation behind this attack than just sending a message. The ministry workers who were taken, Ophelia Cunningham and Kenneth Brahms, were Unspeakables for the Department of Mysteries. They were the only two Unspeakables present at the time of the attack. Eyewitnesses say they saw the Kingsley-impostor entering the office, than leaving with Cunningham and Brahms, who seemed unusually placid. It is believed he had them under the Imperius curse. The attacker also stunned everyone else in the office, those he didn’t kill, at least “ then wiped their memories. It seems like a lot of work for one wizard, and the Order believes that he had inside help, but because no one who witnessed the attack has any memory of what happened “ we have no way of knowing who helped with the attack, if anyone. They are of course trying to break the memory charms, but it might not happen.”

Harry felt like his mind was a whirl, that was a lot of information to take in, but Dumbledore did not stop there.

“As for the kidnapped Ministry workers “ we are assuming that Voldemort wants information about something inside the Department of Mysteries “ something he learned about last year, when his followers got inside the Department,” Dumbledore paused momentarily. “We are also assuming it has something to do with you, Harry. You’re his main priority now; he wants to get rid of you more than ever. And he’s tired of waiting.”

“Does that mean he’s just going to come finish me off?”

“I doubt it. You’ve encountered Voldemort before; you know his pride. He won’t cheat “ he has to prove that you are nothing more than a boy who got lucky too many times. You can use this to your advantage, Harry “ because Voldemort will always give you a chance. If he doesn’t, people might think he’s scared of you.”

“But he is scared, isn’t he? That’s why he tried to steal the prophecy “ he knows it’s not going to be easy to kill me."

“He also knows you’re getting more powerful “ that you might just be the end of him. And he’s preparing to fight you. So you need to prepare to fight him...”

“Dumbledore “ how am I going to kill him? I mean I can get away from him “ yeah I’ve done it over and over again. But beat him?” Harry stood up, and began to pace. “And how “ his own curse rebounded off me and hit him, and that couldn’t even kill him...”

“I told you Harry, last year, what you need to rid this world of Voldemort’s evil...”

“What? What’s inside of me? What lies behind the locked door? “ I don’t know what any of that means!"

“When the time comes, you will “ when you face Voldemort for the last time, you will know what you need to do. I know it’s not some puzzle you have to solve... it’s something that’s already exists in you. Only time will tell what you have to do. For now, just prepare yourself for this war. There will be losses, as you know “ you have already suffered a terrible loss. Be prepared for what’s coming. That’s the best advice I can give you for now.”

Harry heaved a sigh.

“Alright then, I should go “ you probably have a lot to do.”

“Feel free to stop by anytime, Harry.”

“Thanks...bye.”

Harry left Dumbledore’s office feeling very conflicted. He wasn’t sure whether he was more frustrated or relieved. On one hand, he didn’t know anymore about how he was going to face Voldemort, but on the other hand, Dumbledore didn’t seem to think it was something he needed to worry about. He seemed to think that Harry should be focusing on other things at the moment.

I’m just going to keep my mind off it, thought Harry. Face things when they come.

Harry thought about his parents “ they had lived their lives normally despite everything that was going on around them. They got married, had a child. You’d never know from their pictures they were in the midst of a war. Harry decided that he should do the same. Like Dumbledore said, they couldn't live in fear of the enemy.