Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Fourteen: Confessions Part One.

As Harry walked into the common room he was assaulted by Ron and Hermione.

“What did Dumbledore say, mate?”

Harry told them everything the headmaster had told him.

“I wonder what they want from the Department of Mysteries?” Hermione pondered out loud.

“Who cares? Harry “ Dumbledore just wants you to sit still and wait for You-Know-Who to come after you?”

“It’s not like that, Ron. Dumbledore knows that there isn’t much Harry can do except stay on the lookout.”

“Not much he can do? How about Dumbledore starts by telling Harry what this ‘force’ is, and how he’s s’posd to use it against You-Know-Who?”

“Maybe he doesn’t know...”

“Of course he knows!”

“I AM right here...” Harry exclaimed, interrupting their bickering. Ron and Hermione stopped.

“Sorry,” they said together.

“Look, I agree with both of you,” Harry said with a sigh.

“That’s not possible, mate.”

“Of course it is... Look I think Dumbledore knows what I have to do, and I wish he would tell me. But obviously he has reasons “ so I’m just going to take his advice and just not worry about it. He said that I’ll know when the time comes.”

Ron was still thunderstruck at the fact that Harry had somehow managed to agree with both Hermione and him at the same time; clearly it had been something he believed impossible since first year.

“Look, I don’t want to talk about this anymore; where’s Katie?” Harry looked around the common room. Everyone had gotten back from Hogsmeade, and they seemed to have calmed down since the Ministry attack had been announced, but it was very quiet for a Friday evening. He saw Katie sitting at an armchair reading a piece of parchment.

“See you later,” he said to Ron and Hermione, hoping that what he had said would put an end to their argument, and walked over to Katie, sitting down next to her.

“Hey,” he said. “What are you reading?”

“It’s just Euan’s transfiguration essay, I said I’d look it over for him.”

“You’re really good with the younger kids; I think Euan is beginning to idolize you,” Harry grinned.

Like always, when Harry complimented her, Katie gave him a smile shy. She finished the essay, than called Euan over, told him his essay was great, then turned back to Harry.

“So, how’d things go with Professor Dumbledore?”

“Alright.”

“You know, it’s not every student who can just walk into his office and ask for a chat, especially when he’s busy.”

“Well, when Voldemort tries to personally kill you about five times, you’re given special privileges.”

Katie had shuddered at the name, but put it aside.

“I don’t know how you can talk about it so calmly... If it were me...”

“If it were you, you’d get used to it.”

“Get used to being a target for murder? I don’t know about that.”

“It’s not like it doesn’t worry me. Yeah, I get scared “ but living in fear doesn’t solve anything. I don’t know “ and when I get in a room with him, it’s like instinct takes over “ I have to survive, I don’t have time to be scared.”

Harry couldn’t believe he was telling her all this; he’d never even really discussed it with Hermione and Ron.

“He’s still after you, isn’t he “ that’s why you went to Dumbledore today?”

“Yeah.”

“I can see why you’re in Gryffindor; I, myself, always thought I was put in the wrong House... I’m not really brave.”

“That’s not true. Okay “ so you’ve never been in a life or death situation, most people haven’t. But it doesn’t mean that when you’re in that situation you can’t fend for yourself. I mean look at Neville “ he doesn’t seem brave “ he practically faints every time he enters Professor Snape’s class. But I’ve seen him fight. I’ve seen him face Death Eaters, shoot spells, put his own safety on the line for others. And I know you’d do the same. You have that about you.”

“You think?”

“Yeah, definitely.”

Harry grinned, then realized people were leaving.

“Where’s everyone going?”

“Dinner is late tonight, because of the Hogsmeade trip and all the chaos with the Ministry attack.”

“Brilliant “ I’m starved. Let’s go.” As they stood up and walked towards the portrait hole, and Katie took Harry’s hand in hers and flashed him a smile that made his heart skip a beat. That evening they ate dinner with Harry’s group of Gryffindor friends. Parvati and Lavender kept looking to Ron and Hermione, then to Katie and Harry “ then looking to each other they would giggle and turn back to their conversation. Neville and Seamus would roll their eyes, and throw something at the girls. Harry was glad to see everyone was acting normally again.

“So,” he turned to Katie. “Er...what are you doing tomorrow?”

“I was just going to finish some homework and relax a bit. I’m surprised Ron hasn’t scheduled Quidditch practice...”

“Well be quiet, or he just might.”

“You’re probably right.”

“So... if you want we could hang out.”

“Yeah, I’d like that. I’ve actually wanted to take a nice walk around the grounds, before it gets too cold.”

Glad that she had suggested something they could do, Harry agreed and they made plans to take a walk after lunch.

Harry looked over at Ron and Hermione, and was glad to see that Ron had calmed down considerably. It seemed he had regained control of his motor skills and speaking abilities.

“I’m tired,” Katie yawned. “I think I’ll go to bed.”

“I’ll walk you back to the common room...” Harry said. He was tired too; it had been a long day. They said good night and left the Great Hall. When they reached the Fat Lady, Katie said the password “

“Starry Night,” it had changed two days before.

They walked through the portrait hole, and Harry walked Katie over to the staircase leading to the girl’s dormitory.

“Well, thanks for a lovely evening, Harry. In spite of you know, the ministry attack “ the day wasn’t a total loss...”

“Same here.”

Harry smiled; Katie smiled back. It seemed the two of them were stuck to the ground. All of a sudden Harry felt very nervous. He knew what she was waiting for, but the idea terrified him far more than the idea of facing Voldemort again. He had gotten used to taking risks recently, though “ so he decided to go for it. He leaned in and kissed her. It wasn’t like the time he had kissed Cho, mostly because she had been crying and Harry had been more uncomfortable than nervous. After a few seconds, Katie slowly pulled away, smiling at the floor.

“Good night,” Harry said.

“Good night,” replied Katie. She turned, her smile still reaching from ear to ear, and went upstairs.

Harry let out a sigh of relief, and collapsed in a nearby armchair. He didn’t think he could motivate his body to climb up stairs to bed. He sat quietly for a few minutes; a few first and second years arrived back from dinner and went straight up to bed. Then, Hermione and Ron came through the portrait hole, laughing hysterically. Ron walked Hermione over to the girl’s staircase and kissed her on the cheek, wiping a tear from her face. She was laughing so hard she was crying.

“Night Hermione,”

“Night Ron,”

She went upstairs and Ron walked over to join Harry.

“So, how was your night, mate?”

“Fine. What was so funny?”

“Malfoy was strutting around all arrogant like usual, probably bragging to the Slytherins about what happened at the Ministry today. Anyway, he saw Hermione and me walking together, and opened his mouth to yell out some insult “ but he before he could, he fell through a step in the stairway. He had been so distracted he wasn’t paying attention to where he was walking. Anyway “ he panicked, and starting shouting for help. Peeves took advantage of his position and started throwing water balloons at him. By the time someone had rescued Malfoy, he was crying. It was priceless. I never thought I’d witness anything more enjoyable than the ‘ferret’ incident “ but this won by a mile.”

“I wish I could have seen that...”

“Yeah, but you were too busy with Katie,” Ron grinned.

“I walked her back here, because she said she was tired...”

“And...”

“And I kissed her.”

“Already? You move fast mate... When’s the wedding?”

“Shut up? Just because it took you five years to ask out Hermione...”

“I can see it know “ Katie Potter. Has a nice ring to it “ of course not as nice a ring as Katie Bell... Get it? Ring, Bell “ ”

“You’re mad, mate...I’m going to bed.”

“Wait, I’m coming with you... so what color will I be wearing as your best man?”

“Shut up, Ron,” Harry couldn’t help but laugh. “You know at least Katie Potter sounds better than Hermione Weasley...”

“That was uncalled for.”

“You started it...”

Harry pushed Ron out of the way, and took off.

“Last one upstairs has to eat a cockroach cluster...”

“That’s not fair,” Ron called after him as he ran to catch up.

Harry reached the dormitory first “

“You lost.”

“You cheated.”

“Potter wins again!”

“Whatever...”

Ron sat down at the edge of his bed and removed his shoes.

“Listen, mate. I want to be serious for a minute.”

“What’s up?”

“I just wanted to thank you, you know “ if it wasn’t for you I’d probably still be acting a moron over Hermione.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“No really, I appreciate it.”

“Well, you’re welcome. But I still won.”

“You did not, you cheated.”

Ron threw his socks at Harry.

“Now there is no reason for sock throwing...”

Harry threw them back at Ron. For the first time in months, Harry felt truly happy again.