Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 20: The Plan

“What is going on?” demanded Dean. “Who’s taken them?”

“Death Eaters “ Malfoy’s dad to be specific...” said Harry, seriously. His mind was racing, and he felt like he’d just been hit with a Stunning Spell. What was going to happen to Katie and Ginny?

Ron had gone pale. Hermione was trembling with fear.

“Wha-what are we going to do? What happens if they kill “ ”

“We have to tell Dumbledore...” said Harry quietly, walking out of the Great Hall

“What are you mad?” asked Ron as the group followed Harry. “The letter said that if Dumbledore finds out, we’ll never see Katie and Ginny alive... ”

“And how are they going to know if we tell Dumbledore?” asked Harry.

“Well, I bet you 10 galleons, Draco’s following us right now, to make sure we don’t go to the headmaster.”

“I’m not going to see Dumbledore; I’m going to the common room,” said Harry.

“But you just said “ ”

“You’re right Malfoy is probably watching us “ as well as all the Slytherins he has wrapped around his finger. Don’t worry, I have a plan. But I need all of your help. Just stop talking, look upset, and don’t walk too quickly “ it’ll look like we’re up to something.”

They reached the Fat Lady.

“Quidditch Champions,” Harry muttered and the portrait swung open. They entered the common room. Harry was glad to see it was empty.

“Stay right here, I’ll be back.” Harry ran upstairs and got his Invisibility Cloak then hurried back down and launched into his plan.

“Alright, Malfoy was there when we got the letter “ he knows that the six of us are aware of what’s going on. His dad probably told him to make sure Dumbledore doesn’t find out, that way he won’t get caught. They’ll probably have someone watching the Fat Lady so they know who’s in the common room and who’s not. We’ll have to split up “ Hermione and Ron, you leave together. Go anywhere; just make sure they see you, that you’re not off to tell anyone what’s happened. You can go back to the common room after about a half-an-hour, I’ll probably be in Dumbledore’s office by then. Neville and Seamus, you’re going to be with me “ but I’ll be under my cloak. It’ll look odd if the picture opens and nobody comes out, or if I bump into someone, so I’ll need someone to walk behind. Dean “ you stay upstairs in our dormitory, don’t come out “ we’re going to say I was with you the entire time.”

He explained a few of the smaller details of the plan, then Hermione and Ron left together while Dean went up the dormitory. A few minutes later, Neville and Seamus left, Harry trailing behind them with under his cloak. They walked, as though aimlessly, towards the Transfiguration department then back down to the Great Hall. Harry had left them at Professor McGonagall’s office. He entered her room slowly, he was glad to see she was alone. He was, however, still nervous. This was the part of his plan he was most worried about. He crept silently over to Professor McGonagall’s side, and whispered to her.

“Professor McGonagall, it’s me Harry “ I’m under an Invisibility Cloak. I need you to get up and close your door before I can take off the cloak “ it’s important.”

He said it quickly, so she wouldn’t be too frightened at the sudden voice in her ear. He silently hoped she wouldn’t think he was playing a joke. She jumped slightly, then, to his immense relief, she got up slowly and casually closed the door, as though she were only trying to prevent an annoying draft.

“This better not be a joke, Mr. Potter,” she said quietly.

He took of his cloak and showed McGonagall the slip of parchment he received that morning.

“I need to get to Dumbledore’s office without anyone seeing me... I was hoping I could follow you under my cloak, and then you could say the password and we could go in together.”

Professor McGonagall looked up from the letter, suddenly fearful.

“What is this about?”

“I’ll explain it all when we get to Dumbledore’s office...”

“Very well. Put back on the cloak “ follow me.”

Harry threw the cloak back on over his body, and followed her out of the office. She walked briskly, and they were there in a matter of minutes. Harry was silently praying that nobody had noticed what was going on. If something happened to Ginny and Katie...

“Chocolate Frog.”

Professor McGonagall spoke the password and they entered Professor Dumbledore’s office. Harry, relieved that he had gotten into his office without being caught, threw his cloak off and launched into the story of what was going on. Dumbledore listened silently. When Harry was finished, he stood up, looking very grave.

“Well Harry, it seems you have no choice but to follow the instructions you’ve been given.”

This was not what Harry had expected. But then “

“I will, of course, be following you “ unseen “ but you will still need to be very careful. We can assume that this is from Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange “ both very dangerous Death Eaters. We do not know, however, if there will be anyone else with them “ or if Katie and Ginny will be with them.”

Harry buried his face in his hands, thinking of last year in the Department of Mysteries. He heard Lucius Malfoy’s cold voice in his head: You don’t know Potter as I do, Bellatrix. He has a great weakness for heroics.

“This is all my fault,” said Harry softly. “If it wasn’t for my ‘saving people thing’, Katie and Ginny wouldn’t be in danger.”

“Harry, do not blame yourself. You couldn’t have known.”

“What if they’re hurt, what if they’re killed?”

Suddenly, Harry heard Katie’s voice in his head: “If something does happen tomorrow, and you know it could...” Only yesterday she had spoken those words “ if only she had known something would happen “ and that it would happen to her...

“Harry you need to think clearly. Now, tonight, I want you to head to the prearranged location at half-eleven. Professor McGonagall, Professor Lupin, and I will be following you, hidden from view of course. Just remain calm, we will handle everything and hopefully no one will get hurt, and by the time it’s over we’ll have the Death Eaters in our custody. I will have Professor McGonagall escort you back to your common room now, while I make arrangements for our plan of action tonight.”

Harry left under his cloak, following McGonagall. He felt angry that Dumbledore could be so calm “ Katie and Ginny’s lives were in the balance and he was acting as though they were planning a lovely afternoon picnic. Why hasn’t he caught the Death Eaters anyway? Thought Harry. He’s known about them for almost two weeks. Probably wasting time being cautious as usual “ hadn’t he already learned his lesson after everything that had happened with the prophecy?

“Quidditch Champions”

McGonagall entered the common room, Harry followed her. Only Neville, Seamus, Ron and Hermione were inside; Harry removed his cloak and sat down in a chair, with a sigh.

“See you tonight, Potter. Try to keep calm.”

“Thanks, Professor,” he replied, trying not to sound angry “ if he was told to remain calm one more time...

“What’s happening? Are you going tonight?” asked Hermione as soon as McGonagall left.

“Let’s go upstairs, I’ll tell you everything.”

With that, the six of them went upstairs, sickeningly aware of the absence of the missing two. Harry was not looking forward to that night “ but at the same time he wished midnight would hurry up and come so he’d know if Katie and Ginny were alright.