Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 21: Rescue Mission

That night, Hermione, Ron, Neville, Seamus, and Dean stayed up with Harry until it was time for him to leave. When at last the clock read half-eleven, they all wished him luck, looking nearly as fearful as he felt.

“We’ll wait up until you come back,” said Hermione

“If I come back...” said Harry grimly.

“Don’t say that, mate. You’ll be coming back. You always do.”

Harry heaved as heavy sigh as he left through the portrait hole; he looked around, wondering if Lupin, McGonagall, and Dumbledore were following him yet. He walked quickly with determination downstairs to the Entrance Hall and out to the grounds. He could barely believe what he was doing: consciously going to meet with Death Eaters in the middle of the night, practically alone. The closer he got to the east side of the grounds, the harder his heart thumped against his chest. His mind was racing with prayers that Katie and Ginny were alright, and questions as to how exactly the three teachers were following him, unseen. Finally, he arrived at the area where the forest met the lake. He stopped, looking around for any sign of movement. Just then he saw four figures approaching him; as they came closer, he could make out Katie and Ginny, being escorted by two hooded Death Eaters. Harry felt a sense of relief wash over him, glad that the Death Eaters had brought them along; it made things much easier..

“Good evening, Mr. Potter. How nice to run into you here...” he heard Lucius Malfoy’s cold voice through his mask. “The four of us were just taking a nice walk along the lake. It’s a lovely night “ don’t you think?”

“What do you want?”

“I see you’re a man of business. Well, isn’t it obvious what we’re here for?”

“Why don’t you just tell me?”

“We’re here to take you to our master. Now, Potter, just lower your wand, come over here and we’ll release the girls. Then they can go back to the school and we can bring you to the Dark Lord.”

“How do I know you won’t kill them the second you have me?” Harry said, trying to sound unafraid, but he couldn’t help wondering what Dumbledore and the others were up to... when were they going to step in? Then a horrifying thought struck Harry: What if they hadn’t followed him at all, what if something had happened; he had no way of knowing... He looked at Katie and Ginny, who looked petrified with terror.

“I’m hurt at your lack of trust, Potter. After all the years we’ve known each other. Do you know me to be of dishonest character?” Lucius said, as he laughed a soft, mirthless laugh.

“You’re as dishonest as they come,” Harry retaliated, trying to buy time. “And your son is just as bad.”

“Now, now, Potter - do not bring my son into this “ he has nothing to do with anything.”

Harry thought there was something strange about the way Malfoy was speaking, every word seemed oddly forced. But Harry continued, determined not to give in until Dumbledore stepped in.

“He seems to know an awful lot about what’s been going on...”

“Stop wasting time, boy,” Bellatrix interrupted their chat impatiently. “Just lower the wand, and we’ll send you’re little girlfriends back to the castle, where Dumbledore can watch over them.”

She sounded like Malfoy, as if it was causing her discomfort to speak.

Just then, to his immense relief, two dark figures appeared behind Bellatrix and Lucius “ pointing wands directly at them.

“STUPEFY,” he heard Lupin and McGonagall shout, and two jets of red light hit the two Death Eaters; they fell, stunned, to the ground. Then Dumbledore appeared in a swish of his cloak, as though out of nowhere.

“Katie and Ginny, go back to the school with Harry, now.” He said, checking the unconscious bodies of Lucius and Bellatrix. Katie and Ginny nodded, and began to run back to the castle with Harry. It had been almost too easy, thought Harry. Then, once they had gotten out of sight of Dumbledore, Katie turned on Harry.

“Idiot boy “ you think we wouldn’t be prepared for one of your schemes... ” she laughed. “Brave Harry Potter, always playing the hero. We knew you’d find a way to tell Dumbledore without being caught.”

Harry looked at her, confused “ what was she talking about. Then she took out her wand, and began to force him to walk in the opposite direction, away from both Dumbledore and the castle; Ginny was walking briskly alongside her, her wand was also in her hand now.

“Katie, Ginny “ what are you doing?”

“Did you think Bellatrix and I were stupid, Potter?” said Ginny this time. “We put your little friends under the Imperius Curse and we all took a bit of Polyjuice Potion. Dumbledore will find out in a few minutes the terrible mistake he’s made, by then it’ll be too late. We’ll be off the grounds with you, on our way to see the Dark Lord.”

He heard Bellatrix’s laugh echo from inside Katie’s body. Then slowly, he saw the two of them grow taller “ Katie’s hair grew long and black, Ginny’s red turned to platinum blond. He watched, terrified, as they grew into the shapes of Bellatrix and Lucius. They kept their wands pointed at Harry, who was desperately trying to think of a way out of this situation “ they had reached the woods. Dumbledore would know by now, Ginny and Katie would have returned to their own bodies “ but how was he to have any idea where Harry had gotten to? Harry thought of stunning them both, but he knew it was impossible “ by the time he hit one, the other would have hit him. Just then, as Harry had resigned himself to his fate, their was a burst of flame just ahead; a beautiful, but haunting, song filled the air and Harry saw a flutter of red flying above him, before disappearing in another flare.

Fawkes, thought Harry. Fawkes will let Dumbledore know where I am.

Just as he felt the courage mounting again inside of him, there was a swish of midnight blue robes in front of them as Dumbledore appeared. He pointed his wand directly at Lucius and Bellatrix “

“Run, Harry!”

Harry didn’t need telling twice, he ran as fast as his legs could carry him, branches cutting at his skin and tearing at his robes. Just as he was nearing the edge forest “ he suddenly felt his energy drain out of him. He felt the air turn cold; it was almost as though it was biting at his insides. Everything turned dark.

No, not again, he thought.

Then he heard cold rattling breaths and he saw black cloaks gliding towards him. Bellatrix and Lucius weren’t going to give up Harry without a fight; they had sent Dementors after him. Harry felt for his wand, trying to think of something happy, but despair and fear had taken over his mind. He could hear Bellatrix laughing inside his head “ he could see Sirius falling through the archway. Then he felt a horrible pain, and Voldemort’s voice hissed inside his head: If death is nothing, Dumbledore, kill the boy...

“NO!” Harry screamed as he ran, stumbling. Once he had gotten far enough away to think clearly, he turned around, brandishing his wand. He saw at least six figures gliding morbidly towards him. Harry searched inside him for a happy thought, any happy thought “ he thought of Katie. He thought of when he had asked her to Hogsmeade, the first time he had kissed her, and how she had talked to him about Sirius, how she was so understanding, and then-

“Expecto Patronum!”

A silver stag erupted from the end of his wand “ chasing the Dementors away. Harry fell to the ground, breathless. He waited a few moments before getting up again. He had to get back to the castle, just in case there was something else waiting to take him to Voldemort. He flung himself in through the Entrance Hall, panting. Lupin, was there waiting for him.

“Are you alright, Harry?” he said, worried.

“Yeah...I’m fine. Dumbledore came. I ran. Dementors...” he said in between breathes.

“They sent Dementors for you?” Lupin asked as he helped Harry up.

“Yes. There were at least six of them.”

“You need to get to the Hospital Wing, c’mon,” he helped Harry upstairs.

“How are Katie and Ginny?’ Harry asked.

“There fine. They’re in a little shock. I can’t believe we stunned them...”

“You didn’t know. You couldn’t have.”

“Still...”

They reached the hospital wing, where McGonagall was waiting with Katie and Ginny.

“Harry!”

Katie ran up to him, throwing her arms around him. She was crying.

“I’m sorry, this is my fault. Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. And you don’t have anything to apologize for. This was my fault.”

Lupin looked at the two of them.

“It was nobody’s fault but Voldemort’s. No you all need to get to bed.”

He looked over to Ginny, who was also waiting to see Harry. She came over and hugged him. “Harry, I’m so glad you’re okay. Thank you...”

Then Madam Pomfrey came running out.

“Here, Ms. Bell, Ms. Weasley. Take this,” she handed them glasses of steaming potion, then turned to Lupin and Harry. “Are you alright, Potter?”

“He’s mostly fine,” answered Lupin. “Just, cuts and bruises. But he had a Dementor attack”

“Dementors? Again?” she asked, appauled. “How many was there this time, Mr. Potter?”

“At least six...” Harry answered.

“SIX!?” she said bustling about, getting a bed ready and grabbing a chunk of chocolate.

“Into bed, you need to rest...Eat this.” she pushed him in to the bed and handed him the chocolate. “Six dementors...” she muttered to herself, shaking her head and left the room.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Harry” said Lupin, he waved and left the room. McGonagall turned to Harry.

“You’ve had quite on ordeal tonight, Mr. Potter. I suggest you get some rest, you need not attend classes tomorrow.”

“Professor?” said Harry.

“Yes, Mr. Potter?”

“You might want to go to the Gryffindor common room and tell my friends to get to bed “ I think they’re waiting for me.”

“I’ll see to it that they go to sleep. Good night.”

She turned and left. A few minutes later, Dumbledore entered.

“I don’t want to bother you Harry, I just thought I would check in on you before I turned in for the night.”

“I’m fine.”

“Professor Lupin told me you were attacked by Dementors after you left me...”

“Yeah, but I’m alright.”

“Good.”

“What happened to Malfoy and Bellatrix, Professor?”

“I stunned them and held them until the Ministry could send officials; the Ministry has them in custody, now. I hate to admit it, but I don’t think they’ll be subdued for long. After a while, they’ll probably find a way back to Voldemort.”

“But he won’t be happy with them, will he? They let me get away tonight. Won’t they be scared to return?”

“That is true. But Voldemort is not stupid “ he knew it would be difficult to get you, he’s not going to get dispose of his two powerful Death Eaters over something like this. And Bellatrix will definitely return to him, probably forcing Malfoy to do the same. You have seen her unwavering loyalty, Harry.”

Harry was silent for a moment, and then he spoke again.

“Professor, he’s going to come after me again. I know it and I’ve accepted. I just don’t want the people I care about being dragged into it...

“Harry. We are all in danger now that Voldemort is in full power again. You can’t blame yourself for what happens to your loved ones,” He looked at Harry with a very soft expression. “Now, you should get some sleep, you’ve had a difficult night.”

Harry nodded, and turned over. But he didn’t want to sleep. The Dementors had caused him to relive the worst memories from that night at the Ministry of Magic, and everything was clearer inside his mind. Bellatrix’s voice was hauntingly real, and he could feel the hatred of Voldemort inside him. He tried to get it out of his mind. And then, he remembered how he got rid of the Dementor’s “ how the thoughts of Katie had pushed out his bad memories and gave him the power to produce the Patronus. He looked at her over in her bed; she was sleeping peacefully. Harry thought about how close he had come to losing both her and Ginny; but they were safe. That was all that mattered. And with those final thoughts, Harry drifted into his own peaceful sleep.