Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: A lot of dialogue... but it's here for a reason. Enjoy as the mystery rebuilds and leads it's way to... tragedy?
::insert ominously evil grin::

Chapter 25: Professor Alchemina

Over the next week, Ron had put even more of his time into Quidditch. When he wasn't practicing with the team, he was practicing alone. When he wasn't practicing at all, he was reading Quidditch books. It paid off – because Gryffindor had another shut-out victory over Ravenclaw. Hermione, however, had kept her word; she had given Ron until Saturday to come to his senses – and now she refused to have anything to do with him.

"Hermione's not speaking to me," Ron said to Harry glumly at breakfast that Monday.

"Really? That's a surprise," Harry said sardonically.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ron asked.

"It's not like she didn't warn you – and you have been a bit of an idiot..."

"What, you agree with her?"

Harry was amazed at how unbelievably dense Ron was being.

"Ron – you said you loved Hermione. I think that when you love someone you're supposed to want to spend time with them..."

"I just wanted to make sure that we beat Ravenclaw, it was really important to me."

"More important than her?"

"No, of course not!"

"Well that's how she feels, and I can't blame her... you put Quidditch ahead of her. You told her she had to wait until after the game before you could spend time with her."

"Look... I wanted to win for Hermione."

"Why? Cause I don't think she really cares that much..."

"Look - Krum is one of the best Seekers in the world, at the World Cup she thought he was really brave for the way he played the game. She went to watch him play last summer. And then there's you – you're a fantastic Seeker, I'd say you're better then Krum... and Hermione really thinks a lot of you. I...I just don't want to come up short. If I make this team better then it's ever been, and I keep blocking every goal, I won't worry so much about whether I measure up."

"Ron... Hermione. Doesn't. Care. She loves you, she already thinks you're brilliant; you've already made this team better than it's been in ages, and even if you were a crap captain and you let in every goal, she would still think you were brilliant... would you please just apologize and tell her what you just told me so she can tell you what an idiot you are and forgive you..."

They were interrupted by the flutter of wings above as the owls came to deliver the morning post. A small, tawny owl swooped down and to deliver Ron a letter. It was from Mrs. Weasley.

"Mum wants to know if you're staying with us for Christmas," Ron said over the top of the parchment as he read the letter.

"If I'm invited, of course..."

"It says that if you want to invite Katie to have dinner with us New Year's Day, you can, she'll be inviting Dean and Hermione..."

Ron stopped.

"I gotta go," he got up and left the Great Hall, the letter in his hand. Harry was just hoping that he had gone to find Hermione when Katie walked in and sat down. She looked exhausted.

"You look tired, were you up late last night?"

"All night...I had tons of homework for Arithmancy and then I couldn't sleep – had nightmares about Malfoy and Bellatrix."

"You all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine..."

"I talked to Ron this morning..."

"Yeah?"

He told her what they had talked about...

"If I'm ever that much of an idiot please hit me across the head."

"I'll look forward to it," Katie grinned.

"What are you doing for New Year's?" Harry asked.

"Haven't made plans yet..."

"Well I'll be staying with the Weasleys... and if you like – and only if you want to, of course – you can come over on New Year's Day. I suppose it will be kind of like a family dinner...thing."

He swallowed hard. For some reason, Harry didn't know why, he felt very nervous asking Katie if she'd come to the Burrow for dinner.

"I'd love that! It's okay with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, right?"

"Oh yeah, of course it is."

"Well, I suppose I'll send an owl to my mum and dad and make sure it's alright, so I'll see you at lunch," she said, as she stood up, grinning, to head for the Owlery.

Ginny arrived shortly after Katie had departed. She was smiling mischievously.

"I just met Katie outside..."

"And?" What was so unusual about that, Harry wondered.

"She told me you asked her to come for dinner on New Year's. She was very excited."

"Yeah – your mum wrote a letter to Ron telling me to invite her."

"You're not nervous...?"

"Why would I be nervous?"

"Well – it'll be like she's meeting your family...Mum will want to make sure she's good enough for her precious Harry, and Dad will want to know all about her – and she'll be wanting to make a good impression...and then of course she'll probably want you to meet her parents...and then you'll be worried about making a good impression..."

"Well, I'm not nervous, Ginny."

He knew very well he was lying through his teeth. Ginny rolled her eyes disbelievingly, grabbed a stack of toast for her and Dean and left the Great Hall, passing Hermione on the way out.

When she sat next to Harry, who had been busy contemplating what Ginny had said.

"Morning, Harry."

"Does nobody eat together anymore? Why is everyone always walking in and out?"

"I suppose we're all avoiding each other...I'm assuming you've seen Ron this morning."

"Yeah – haven't you. He left a while ago; I thought he'd gone to talk to you."

"No – I saw him, but he just stared at his feet and kept walking..."

"What is wrong with him? I told him to apologize for being a moron..."

"Well, that's his decision to make. Anyway – I don't want to talk about Ron. I got a letter from my mum and dad, and they've told me that they'll be traveling to Switzerland for some international dentist convention, so I'll have to stay at school."

"Why don't you just come to the Burrow?"

Hermione merely raised her eyebrows at him.

"I'm sure Ron will have come to his senses and groveled his way back to you by the end of the week..."

"What if I don't accept his apology?"

"You know you will – especially when you hear what he's got to say..."

"Why, did he tell you something?" she looked at him pleadingly.

"Apparently, he's pre-occupied himself with Quidditch because he wants to prove to you that he's just as good as me and Krum... so you'll like him more."

"What. An. Idiot."

"That's what I said."

"It's still not an excuse for how he acted..."

"We all make mistakes, Hermione. I can think of a few you've made."

"Don't remind me. Anyway – we have Snape in ten minutes. Are you coming?"

"Unfortunately, yeah – hold on a sec..."

He grabbed his bag and they left for the dungeons. Harry always felt a sense of foreboding gloom as he descended into the depths of the castle to go to Snape's classroom; somewhat like a fly about to get trapped in a spider's web. Because they had entered the early winter months, it had gotten quite cold in the castle, and as Hermione and Harry entered the classroom, their warm breath became visible in the chilly air. They sat silently, not wanting to be told off again by Snape for discussing their social lives. Then a gentle voice spoke from the entrance to the classroom

"Good morning, students – I'm sorry it's so chilly in here. I'll just light a few fires around the room, hold on a minute..."

Harry and Hermione looked to each other in disbelief, then to the woman who had begun to proceed around the room, lighting small blue fires along the walls of the room. She was somewhat young, with long wavy brown hair and hazel eyes, and she was wearing long bronze colored robes. She approached the front of the class and smiled at them sweetly.

"I'm Professor Alchemina. Professor Snape has very important business to attend to until the end of February; until then, I will be your potions teacher. Hopefully you will find me to be a suitable replacement."

She had a twinkle in her eyes, and a kind voice, reminding Harry very much of Dumbledore. They spent the rest of the class discussing the finer properties of dragon's blood, since they would be using it in several potions once they got back from the holidays. Harry had not known how complicated and extensive the magical properties of dragon's blood were, but he honestly didn't mind the cramp he had gotten in his hand from writing all the notes – he wouldn't have to see Snape for three months.

"How lucky are we?" he said gleefully to Hermione as they left class.

"I'll admit, it's nice to have a break from Snape – but I wonder what he's up to. It's probably something for the Order."

"He's probably spending Christmas with the Death Eaters. I expect it's his turn to put the Voldemort ornament at the top of the tree..."

"Harry..."

"Sorry, Hermione. But I honestly don't care where he is or what he's doing, as long as I don't have to deal with him."