Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 3 “ The Great Hall

The three of them spent the train ride catching up on everything that had happened that summer. Ron and Harry told her all they knew about what the Order and Ministry were doing. Voldemort and the Death Eaters seemed to be laying a little low now that everyone had been alerted to their return. The Order and Ministry were using all their resources to make sure the Death Eaters couldn’t do much anyway, but everyone was waiting for everything to explode into war any day now.

Hermione told them about Bulgaria, where the wizarding community seemed pretty scared and cautious, due to the impending threat of war. She spent most of the time sightseeing with Viktor Krum, she watched a few Quidditch games that he was playing in, and “ to Ron’s pleasant surprise - she met Krum’s fiancée. It seemed that whatever there was between the two of them, was now just friendship “ apparently Hermione felt that he was a little too old for her.

Then of course, Hermione started talking about O.W.L.S. She had, of course, gotten all O’s. She immediately asked how they had done: Harry had gotten O’s in Defense against the Dark Arts, Charms, Transfiguration, Care of Magical Creatures and too his great surprise, Potions. He received an E in everything else, except Divination, where he got an A “ not at all to his disappointment. Ron had also done pretty well, he also received an O in Defense Against the Dark Arts, as well as other areas, along with a few E’s, and a T in Divination (which was understandable, considering he had inadvertently insulted his tester).

Before they realized how much time had passed, they had arrived at Hogwarts. They got into one of the thestral pulled carriages, accompanied by Luna, Ginny and Dean. They walked in through the huge doors to the welcoming Entrance hall and then into the Great Hall, where they all eagerly sat down. Everywhere people were chattering excitedly, some anxiously. It was clear that some were talking about summer activities, while other where discussing the current wizarding world situation.

“I’m starving,” Ron said. “I hope the House Elves pulled out all the stops tonight.”

Hermione opened her mouth as though to say something, but it seemed as though something in Ron’s face stopped her, and she looked away, slightly pink cheeked.

“Where’s Ginny, I really want to talk to her...”

“Probably somewhere, attached by the lips to Dean Thomas,” Harry laughed. Ron glared at him, and Harry busied himself with his reflection in a golden goblet.

Hermione scanned the table, and after spotting Ginny and Dean, she jumped up and ran over. Dean, Harry could see, reluctantly got up and left the two girls, then joined Ron and Harry. Harry wanted to say something about the conversation earlier on the train, but since Ron was there, he decided to wait.

“Females...” Dean shook his head. “They never shut up.”

“Yeah,” Ron agreed distractedly. It seemed he was both ignoring Dean and eyeing Hermione from across the table.

Harry looked up and scanned the staff table as usual. He saw Hagrid, then Snape (unfortunately, as Harry was hoping he had died of some dreadful disease), Flitwick, Madam Hooch, Dumbledore, an empty seat, probably for Professor McGonagall, then Sprout, Sinistra, and “ Lupin. Harry felt an excited jump in his stomach. Had Lupin gotten his job back? It was the only explanation Harry could think of for his presence at the staff table.

Just then Professor McGonagall entered the Great Hall followed by a line of tiny first years “ they seemed to get smaller every year, thought Harry. McGonagall placed the patched Sorting Hat on a stool at the front of the hall. It opened it’s “mouth” and began to sing:

Welcome everyone, big and small
United now in this Great Hall
Gather round, whilst I decide
Which house the young ones belong inside
Some will go to Gryffindor
Where the most brave have dwellt before
Others will take their place in Hufflepuff
But only those loyal and just enough
Then there are those for Ravenclaw
Whose brilliant minds inspire awe
Yet others will go to Slytherin
The house where ambition gets you in
But no matter what you’re destined for
Remember what I said before
It is time to use our common sense
In light of recent dark events
So when I divide you into your respective homes
Remember that you cannot overcome these hard times alone
Use your strengths to come together
To fight this evil, the more the better
And now it’s time for me to begin
What strength will you use to help good win?


The students applauded, though not with the usual energy. Although this year the Sorting Hat’s message was less bewildering than the year before, it had reminded everyone about what was going on outside the castle walls, causing everyone to be slightly on edge. After the rather uneventful sorting “ which was only interesting because one first year was too frightened too put on the hat and had burst into tears “ food appeared on the plates and everyone began to eat happily. It seemed that everyone had quickly pushed current events to the back of their minds, as the chatter once again became lighthearted. Hermione and Ginny had joined them. Hermione had taken a seat next to Ron and Ginny sat next to Dean. Harry looked around and spotted Cho, who he politely grinned at, and was pleased to see that she waved back at him. Seated next to Cho, was Luna, humming the Sorting Hat’s song. Harry laughed, reminded of his dream, and then turned to Hermione.

“I had the strangest dream this morning, you and Ron...”

He was interrupted by Ron’s hacking cough. He thought he saw Ron give him a warning look, but decided it must have been an effect of something he had caught in his throat.

“Okay there, mate? Anyway,” he continued, “The two of you were getting married.”

Ginny and Dean, who had started listening, found this highly amusing. Ginny giggled and Dean grinned before hiding his face. Hermione blushed slightly.

“Sirius was there, in the dream I mean,” Ron said. Harry was a little taken aback. Ron seemed desperate to change the subject, as though he was afraid Ginny and Hermione might start planning the wedding.

Hermione’s expression changed to concern.

“Are you all right? Waking up from that must have been terrible...”

“Well it wasn’t the best feeling,” Harry responded quietly.

The mood had changed suddenly. Dean looked uncomfortable; Ginny shot a look at her brother. Ron looked as though he felt bad for bringing up Sirius, and quickly changed the subject.

“So Lupin’s up there at the staff table, did anyone notice?”

Everyone started chattering excitedly, Hermione confirmed that Lupin had indeed gotten his job back “ she had heard from another prefect who had spoken to Professor Sprout after getting off the train. This news was received well and later confirmed again by Dumbledore as he gave his usual speech to the students and then dismissed them to their dormitories. Harry bumped into someone as he was exiting the Great Hall “

“Watch it Potter.”

It was Malfoy. A rush of memories involving Malfoy’s father and the Department of Mysteries entered his mind, followed by something that hit Harry like a flying Ford Anglia, automatically pushing everything else from his mind. Harry didn’t say anything; he didn’t feel like dealing with Draco at the moment. He kept walking. Malfoy remained silently indignant; it seemed he didn’t feel much like starting a fight either.

Harry dragged behind Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Dean, and the other Gryffindors as they approached the Fat Lady, feeling slightly separate from the group. Ron and Hermione turned around to comfort him, but stopped dead when Ginny said the password:

“Wedding Bells”

Everyone entered the common room. Ron and Hermione quickly muttered good night and practically ran for their dormitories. Ginny giggled, and kissed a grinning Dean on the cheek before rushing after Hermione. Dean turned to Harry.

“Coming, mate?”

Harry nodded, his mind still swimming with thoughts. He slowly followed Dean upstairs, changed and climbed into bed. He heard Neville, Seamus, and Dean mutter goodnight. Ron seemed to be faking loud snores. Harry put his head against his pillow, knowing he wouldn’t be falling asleep anytime soon as the words swirled around inside his head.

“AND EITHER MUST DIE AT THE HAND OF THE OTHER...”