Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Five “ Professor Lupin

Entering Defense Against the Dark Arts, Harry forgot about everything that was bothering him, which was difficult considering that Hermione was walking oddly close to him. At the front of the classroom he spotted Remus Lupin, sitting calmly at his desk, smiling.

“Professor Lupin, it’s great that you’re back, it’s almost too good to be true.”

“I know, I feel the same way. The new Ministry has been pushing Werewolf Anti-Discrimination Laws and awareness, and Dumbledore thought it was time to bring me back.”

“That’s great,” Hermione beamed at him, “Of course, we weren’t doing too badly without you,” she eyed Harry, grinning, than quickly turned away. Ron preoccupied himself again, this time twirling his wand in his fingers.

“I heard,” Lupin said, looking at Harry with interest. “I’m not sure there’s much left to teach.”

Terrified that this would give Hermione another opportunity to complement him, Harry quickly congratulated Lupin again on his return, then found a seat. Much to his annoyance, he was followed by Hermione. The rest of the class soon entered “ it was a large class, considering that it was N.E.W.T. level. Many of Harry’s classmates, including fellow Gryffindors Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown, came to thank him for helping them get O’s on their Dark Arts Exams.

Ron sat on the other side of Hermione, while Neville sat on the other side of Harry. Lupin cleared his throat to speak, the entire class fell silent and looked at him, all grinning. Harry had never seen so many students look so happy to begin a class.

“Well, it’s nice to see all of you again, but I regret to inform you that this year will not be a walk in the park, or the Forbidden Forest for that matter.”

He was very serious, but nobody seemed to care. Lupin was back, that was all anyone cared about.

“Now, I know that you all learned quite a lot last year, thanks to a fellow student who shall remain nameless...”

Just then someone, who sounded oddly like Seamus, called out, “Three cheers for Potter!” and the class cheered and applauded.

“Anyway,” Lupin said, grinning slightly, “I would like to know just how much you all learned. I would like you to take out your quills and write what you learned from Mr. Potter, and tell me, honestly, how adept you were at performing particular spells. Harry, I would like you to write up a report pointing out particular students in this class who did particularly well, or not so well, with specific spells. It will be due at the end of class.”

Normally a request like this would have caused much complaint, but again, nobody seemed to care. Hermione, after looking through her bag for a minute or two, turned to Harry.

“Harry, I can’t seem to find a quill, do you have an extra?”

Harry, found this extremely odd “ Hermione was always prepared for class.

“Er... sorry Hermione, I have just one.”

Ron quickly jumped to the rescue.

“I have an extra quill, Hermione, if you’d like to use it.”

He looked hopeful, but Hermione just than pulled a quill from her bag.

“Oh no, it’s fine Ron, I found one after all.”

“Oh, okay.”

Ron turned back to his essay, looking upset. Harry felt badly for Ron, and even more annoyed at Hermione. He only imagine what she could be writing in her essay about what an excellent teacher he was

I’ll have to ask her what’s going on, he thought to himself. I don’t think I can put up with this much longer.

At the end of class, everyone rolled up their parchment and handed their essays to Lupin. Harry handed his in after Hermione, who stood waiting for him, but to Harry’s relief, Lupin asked Harry to stay after to talk for a few minutes.

“I’ll see you in Transfiguration,” Hermione called back as she left the room with Ron.

Harry turned to Lupin, who was looking concerned.

“How are you doing?”

Harry knew what he meant: how was he dealing with Sirius’s death.

“I’m alright. I had a dream the other night, Sirius was there. He looked so young, and happy. I woke up and realized it wasn’t real...”

He trailed off.

“I know how that feels. It happens to me sometimes. You dream about someone, and wake up and realize there not here anymore. I went through the same thing after your parents died, too.”

Harry was relieved that someone knew what he was going through.

“After Cedric died, I had dreams about what happened. And now it’s happening with Sirius too, I see him falling through that archway. I hear her laughing in my mind.”

He stopped, suddenly feeling angry. He hadn’t mentioned the dreams to Ron or Hermione; he didn’t want to make them worry any more than they already did.

“If you ever need to talk, Harry, remember I’m here.”

“Thanks. I better get to class.”

“Yeah, wouldn’t want Hermione to panic...”

Professor Lupin winked and Harry shook his head in exasperation and left to get to Transfiguration before he missed too much and was forced to get Hermione’s help.

A/N: Thanks for reading - please leave a review to let me now what you think ;) The plot hasn't really developed much yet, it's just a lot of exposition for the next few chapters, but it's pretty cute and funny - to keep you entertained. I promise, though, that it will get better. [I'm currently writing chapter 38...]