Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: This chapter is a personal favorite of mine - I hope you like it, and thanks for reviewing ;)



Chapter 55: Hermione’s Breakdown

The two weeks before Easter Break seemed to last an eternity for Harry; Potions was worse than ever, and Hermione was doing a poor job of pretending that she wasn’t upset with Harry for keeping secrets from her and Ron. Ron at least, Harry thought, accepted that Harry had reasons for not sharing whatever it was he was keeping from them.

“Harry, you have everything packed?” Ron asked when the morning had come for them to leave the castle for one Pettigrew-free week at the Burrow. “I’m going down to breakfast…”

“Yeah, I’ll follow you in a minute…Neville, you ready?”

It had been decided, also, that Neville would stay with the Weasleys over Easter Break, as his Gran was still at St. Mungo’s being treated for her injuries.

“Almost,” Neville answered. “But I feel like I’ve forgotten something…”

“Here you go, mate,” Ron said as he tossed Neville his wand and left the dormitory. A few minutes later Harry and Neville, having finished packing, left for breakfast, too.

“Harry, I’ve been thinking of asking Mrs. Weasley if it’ll be alright if Susan visits next week,” Neville asked as they walked down the corridor to the noisy Great Hall. “Do you think it’ll be okay with her?”

“Yeah, I know it will,” Harry said, grinning. “So how are things with you and Susan, anyway?”

“Nice,” Neville said, blushing furiously. “Better go see her, actually…”

They had reached the Great Hall, and Neville took off for the Hufflepuff table. Harry took a seat with Ron, Seamus, Lavender, Dean, Luna and Ginny.

“Morning” Harry said to them all as he sat down and started to butter his toast.

“How is Katie doing, Harry?” Luna asked.

“She’s fine “ why do you ask?” Harry said.

“Oh, I was just wondering. My father knew her mother “ she was his Healer when he got a bad leg injury on a Crumple-Horned Snorkack expedition… She was a lovely lady.”

“Er… what did the Snorkack do to him?” Harry asked.

“Oh “ he didn’t find one. But he had a misunderstanding with an Australian witch and she jinxed eight-foot wings onto his bottom - let's just say things went down-hill from there,” she replied.

Ginny rolled her eyes good-humoredly, and Harry heard Ron snort into his goblet beside him. The others gave Luna an odd look, and then turned back to their own conversations. The hall then filled with owls delivering the post. Luna had been sent a copy of the new Quibbler, and Ron accepted and paid for Hermione’s Daily Prophet, as she and Katie were still upstairs.

Harry heard Ron, who had taken a quick glance at the front of the Daily Prophet, inhale sharply.

“What’s wrong now?” Harry asked, and took the paper from him, Ron still staring after it in horror. Harry looked down at the headline.

Quidditch Champion Killed

International Quidditch sensation Viktor Krum has fallen victim on the latest killing attributed to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. The Dark Mark was discovered outside his home, the place of his murder, late last night by Bulgarian Ministry of Magic officials.

“Viktor Krum has been contacted several times in the past few months, by Death Eaters wanting information concerning the former Durmstrang Headmaster, Igor Karkaroff, who they believed to have had a close relationship with Krum,” Bulgarian Ministry Official Ivanov Tribeski said. “They threatened Krum when he refused to cooperate and he subsequently reported the threats to our Ministry.”

Karkaroff, now also believed to be dead, was suspected by The International Confederation of Warlocks to be a former Death Eater. His disappearance occurred at the same time as Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore’s original claims that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named had returned to power…


Harry did not read anymore. He dropped the paper face-down onto the floor, feeling slightly sick. He looked back at Ron, who was quite pale.

“I have to tell Hermione…” Ron said in a dead tone. “I have to tell her…”

It was at this moment that Hermione and Katie entered the Great Hall. Hermione rushed over to Ron and kissed him on the cheek; she had a huge smile on her face. Harry felt even sicker.

“Good morning, Ron,” she said as she sat down. “Ron… what’s wrong?”

He looked to Harry, as though unsure. Harry felt Katie sit next to him; she looked at the three of them.

“What’s going on?” Katie asked.

“Hermione…” Ron started.

“Ron, what’s happened?” Hermione asked him, her voice fearful now.

“Hermione…it’s Krum…”

“What?”

“Krum. He’s dead.”

“Ron, that’s not funny!”

“I’m serious, Hermione… they’ve “ they’ve killed him.”

“What? Who? Ron, what are you talking about?” Hermione said frantically.

“The Death Eaters “ they killed Krum.”

Harry bent down beneath the table and picked up the paper, handing it to Hermione. Everyone seated around them had stopped talking, a few looked scared. Hermione took the paper from Harry and looked at it. Time stood still for about three seconds, nobody dared to breathe.

“Viktor Krum was killed by Death Eaters?” Harry heard a boy whisper from the Ravenclaw table.

Hermione was still looking at the paper; her lip was trembling now, the brightness gone from her face.

“No…” she whispered. She leaned her head against Ron’s shoulder.

“I’m sorry, Hermione…” Ron said.

Hermione took a deep sigh and lifted her head. Harry expected her to look sad “ but she didn’t. Her eyes were angry, and her face was flushed with rage. She stood up and grabbed the Daily Prophet.

“They don’t care who they hurt!” she shouted. “They’ll just kill whoever gets in their way!”

She tore the paper violently.

“Viktor…”

She ripped it again. Her eyes were red.

Mrs. Bell…”

She tore more ferociously.

Mr. Weasley…”

Another rip, tears were spilling down her face “ she was shaking with anger now.

Sirius!”

She tore what was left of the paper and threw it to the floor.

“MURDERERS!” she screamed, crying.

Her voice echoed in the hall.

“WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?!”

She picked up a goblet filled with pumpkin juice and threw it so hard it hit the wall with a vibrating clang; its contents splashed on the floor.

The entire hall was watching her now, nobody was speaking

“I HATE THEM!”

She threw a plate; it hit the floor and skidded out into the Entrance Hall with a deafening screech.

“Hermione…” Ron said reaching out for her hand, which was balled into a tight fist.

“I HATE THEM! I HATE EVERY ONE OF THEM!” Hermione screamed again, Ron rushed to her side and put his arms around her, and she fell to the floor and began to sob.



The journey aboard the Hogwarts Express was almost entirely silent. Hermione’s emotional outburst had upset everyone. Ron, Ginny, Katie, and Harry were all thinking of they’re lost loved ones “ Luna, Neville, and Susan decided the leave the five of them alone. Finally the train arrived at King’s Cross and they all gathered their things and got off the train.

“I’m sorry,” Hermione said to the other four as they reached the platform and they turned to say goodbye. “I’m so sorry… I shouldn’t have…”

“It’s fine, Hermione “ we understand,” Harry told her. He hugged Hermione, and then took Katie to the side.

“You going to be alright?” he asked her.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine,” she said. “Have a good Easter, I’ll see you in a few days…”

She kissed him and waved goodbye to the others. She and Hermione then left to find Mr. Bell. Harry, Ginny, Ron, were joined by Neville as they picked up their things and looked around, unsure of who was supposed to be picking them up. After a while they were approached by Bill, who at once hugged them each in turn. He was accompanied by Fleur Delacour.

“’Ello ‘Arry!” she said excitedly when she saw them. “Ginny and Ron. It eez good to see you, too!”

Her English had improved slightly, Harry noticed, as he greeted her politely. He turned to introduce Neville, who he found was enraptured by the sight of Fleur.

“Fleur “ this is Neville Longbottom.”

“It eez nice to meet you, Neville…” she said, shaking his hand.

“You too,” Neville said mindlessly.

“How’s Mum?” Ginny asked Bill

“She’s doing okay. Valentine’s Day was rough “ and now with Easter…” Bill told them, as he picked up Ginny’s things and led the group to the car. “But she’s so happy that you’ve all been able to come home for a week “ it’s really helping.”

“You all doing alright?” Bill asked “You look upset…”

“We’ll tell you later,” Ron muttered. “I just want to get home…”



“Ron! Harry! Ginny! It’s so good to see all of you. Oh, and you Neville “ is your grandmother doing alright?”

“She’s good, Mrs. Weasley…”

“Oh, come inside “ all of you!”

They were ushered inside by Mrs. Weasley as Bill, Charlie, Fred and George brought in their belongings. Percy was waiting at the door to greet them all cordially.

“How are you doing, Harry?” Percy asked him.

“I’m alright… and yourself?” Harry answered.

“I’m doing alright, as well. Thank you for asking,” Percy replied.

“I suppose Bill’s told you his news?” Mrs. Weasley said as they took seats in the kitchen and she conjured teacups for everyone.

“No,” Ron said, looking from his mother to Bill. “What good news?”

Bill smiled and put his arm around Fleur, who held out her hand revealing a stunning diamond ring.

“We got engaged “ last night,” Bill said.

“That’s brilliant, Bill!” Ron said.

“Congratulations,” said Harry.

“Oh, the ring is gorgeous,” said Ginny.

“And what about you lot “ what happened to get you all so upset?” Bill said, sitting down, Fleur’s hand in his.

"What?" Mrs. Weasley said, her smile changing quickly to an expression of concern. "Has something happened."

“Well “ I suppose you saw the Prophet today?” Ron said.

“Yes,” Fleur answered. “So terrible “ Viktor was a nice boy, very talented. I regret not getting to know him better at ‘ze tournament.”

"Oh - absolutely dreadful!" Mrs. Weasley said. "He was so young..."

“Yeah “ well, I suppose you know that he and Hermione “ well, they were kind of… an item. Or something like that,” Ron said uncomfortably.

The Weasleys and Fleur nodded.

“Well “ when she saw the paper this morning she went mad. She tore it up and started shouting about how she hated the Death Eaters “ because they killed Krum, and Katie’s mum, and Sirius, and…. Dad. Everyone in the Great Hall was watching, and she broke down and started crying.”

“I guess it just got us all thinking…” Harry said quietly “Brought back the pain.”

Everyone was silent.

“I do hope Hermione feels better…” Mrs. Weasley said softly. “I know all this has been as hard on her as it is for the rest of us.”

“Such a horrible way to begin a holiday, too…” said Percy.

“Well, I supposed you’d all want something to eat then?” Mrs. Weasley said, sighing.

Everyone nodded, and Harry realized sadly that since Mrs. Weasley had greeted him, even when she was smiling, he had not yet seen the familiar twinkle of brightness in her eyes that had vanished on the night of her husband’s death.