Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 63: Captive

“I’ll kill him!” Harry said, making for the exit of the dormitory; Ron held him back.

“Harry what do you think you’re doing? You’re not honestly going to go storming down to the dungeons to attack Pettigrew?”

“And why not?” Harry asked.

“Because he’s not supposed to know that we know he’s here…”

“I honestly don’t care “ he took my Firebolt. Sirius gave me that broom Ron, he said it was to make up for all the years…”

Harry trailed off and sat down on his bed; he didn’t really want to cry in front of Ron over something that seemed so superficial, but that’s exactly what he felt like doing. Sirius had given him that broom, and for the past three years it had been his pride and joy. Not only because it was the fastest in the world, but it had been a gift from his godfather. And now both Sirius and the Firebolt were gone.

“You alright, mate?” Ron asked.

“I’m fine,” Harry said hoarsely, standing up. “You probably think I’m being stupid “ it’s just a broom after all…”

“No, I get it,” Ron said sympathetically. “I understand…”

“Help me get it back, will you?” Harry asked.

“How?” Ron asked.

“I don’t know “ but we’ll go down to the dungeons. Pretend we have something to talk about with Snape…”

Ron looked apprehensive, and Harry thought that he would say no, but then he slowly nodded.

“Of course I’ll help you get it back, mate…” he said.

“Okay, so what’s our cover?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know “ I don’t even take Potions any more…”

“Well, maybe I spilled all my murtlap infusion and I need more…”

“For what?” Ron asked.

“Why does it matter, Pettigrew’s not very bright is he?”

“He’s been pretending to be Snape for the past five months Harry…”

“Yes, but anyone who matters already knows, and he doesn’t even teach us “ he makes up stupid lessons and sits watching us nervously…”

“I suppose you have a point,” Ron said thoughtfully. “Alright, so you’re getting the infusion, and I’m just accompanying you?”

“Yes “ that’s what we’ll say…” Harry said, running it over in his head.

“Alright, let’s go…” Ron said.

Harry didn’t hesitate a moment, they both quickly ran downstairs, through the common room past a confused Katie and Ginny (“Can’t play Quidditch, we’ll explain later,”) and out through the portrait hole, down the staircases and descended into the dungeons. They arrived outside the door of Snape’s office, and stopped, slightly out of breath. Harry glanced at Ron for a moment, and then knocked lightly on the door.

They heard some stumbling from inside, and a few seconds later, the looming figure of Snape opened the door.

“What do you want, Potter, Weasley?” he said.

“Professor, I was just wondering if I could have some murtlap infusion “ only I’ve spilled all my own and I need to restock…” Harry said.

Pettigrew-Snape studied him appraisingly for a moment, his eyes flickered to Ron curiously for a moment..

“Fine, Potter “ I’ll get you some,” he sighed. He then closed the door of his office and walked towards the corridor. “Follow me, both of you.”

“Where are you going?” Harry asked. “Don’t you have it in your office?”

“No “ but I have a place we can get more,” he said.

The two of them followed Pettigrew-Snape out of the classroom, and up from the dungeons. As they were passing the Great Hall, Ron stopped.

“Oh, sorry Harry “ I just realized that I was supposed to see Ginny in the Great Hall for lunch “ will you be alright on your own?” he asked, throwing Harry a meaningful look.

“Oh “ yeah, I’m fine…you go ahead,” Harry told him.

Harry and Pettigrew continued on their way, Harry wondering where on earth they were going, while Ron slipped back down into the dungeons. They soon reached the hall that was home to the Room of Requirement, and Pettigrew walked back and forth a few times, muttering under his breath. Harry wondered why he hadn’t guessed this was where they were going sooner; after all, he needed murtlap infusion, and the room would provide it if asked.

“Have you forgotten where the room is, Professor?” Harry asked, playing the fool. “Only, you keep pacing…”

“No, Potter “ it’s right here…” Pettigrew opened the door, and gestured for Harry to enter.

Harry went inside; the room was filled with rows of shelves full of potion ingredients. Pettigrew followed him in.

“Now, what is it you wanted, Potter?” he asked.

“Murtlap infusion…” Harry told him.

“Yes, this way…” he pointed him to a shelf at the back of the room. Harry went ahead of him towards the shelf.

“STUPEFY!” Harry heard Snape’s voice yell from behind him. He made to turn around and draw his wand, but before he had a chance, he was hit by a jet of red light and he blacked out.

---

When Harry came to, he found himself bound by tight ropes, and Pettigrew had returned to his normal appearance. He saw Ron next to him, bound in a similar fashion, looking as though he were stunned. In the corner was Draco Malfoy.

“Oh, Potter “ that was one of the best things I’ve ever seen,” Malfoy said, his face shining maliciously. “The way you went for your wand just as you got stunned… it was precious…”

“How did you see…?” Harry said groggily.

“Oh, I was hidden behind a shelf… saw the whole thing. I’ve been staying in here for a while now… I needed a place to hide…”

“Be quiet, Malfoy,” Pettigrew snapped nervously. “Don’t want to give away too much…”

“Whatever,” Malfoy sneered at him.

“Where’s my broom “ I know you have it…” Harry said.

“You’re worried about your broom, Potter?” Malfoy said. “I think you have bigger problems than that… we’re here to take you to the Dark Lord.”

“You’ll never get out of the castle “ Dumbledore will know you have us here, he’ll be coming to rescue us any minute now…”

“And how is that, Potter?” Pettigrew said.

“The Map “ he has the Marauder’s Map…”

“The Room of Requirement doesn’t show up on the map, or have you never noticed. It’s only there when you’re inside it,” Pettigrew told him. “James, Sirius and Remus were smart “ but not smart enough. They couldn’t manage to get it on the map… it’s such an abstract place, you see. So they decided to leave it off…”

“He knows you’re in the castle…” Harry said. “Both of you. It doesn’t matter… you’ll never make it out of with us…”

“Don’t you worry about that, Potter “ we’ll find a way,” Pettigrew squeaked.

“So, you don’t know how we’re getting out, do you?” Malfoy said.

“I told you, we’ll find a way!” Pettigrew said. Malfoy rolled his eyes and leaned against the wall. “Better captive inside the castle, than not captive at all…”

“Why did you take it…” Harry asked Pettigrew. “Why did you take the broom?”

“It was my idea,” Malfoy said. “Thought we’d play around with your mind, frustrate you a little… that’s why Pettigrew threatened to remove Katie from Potions. You seem to make bad decisions when you’re upset Potter… and here you are again, ready to die because you wanted you’re broom back. And Weasley too… you’ve traded in both of your lives for the Firebolt.

He gave a snort of mirthless laughter. Pettigrew was pacing the room.

“And to think Pettigrew almost let Weasley walk off and tell Dumbledore you’d left with him and gone missing. Of course, I knew that he’d have to go after him…. And now I suppose, he’ll meet the same fate as you…”

Harry laughed. He didn’t know whether to be scared of Malfoy and Pettigrew, but he certainly wasn’t going to let them think he was.

“What’s so funny Potter? You don’t think we’re for real? Alright then…”

Malfoy took out his wand, and pointed it at Ron.

“Enervate,” he said.

Ron woke up slowly.

“Harry, he found me in Snape’s office…” he muttered, opening his eyes. “I’m sorry… he found me…”

Ron looked around. He saw Malfoy, whose wand was still pointed at him.

“You…” he said.

“Yes, Weasley “ me…” he smiled coldly.

Harry had a foreboding feeling that something bad was about to happen.

“Crucio!” Malfoy spat.

Ron’s body twisted on the floor in pain, he screamed horribly. Malfoy’s spell was over quickly, but Ron lay breathing heavily, moaning from the pain.

“NO!” Harry yelled.

“Malfoy, what are you doing?” Pettigrew asked nervously, pausing in his pacing of the room

“Just having a bit of fun… relax,” Malfoy said in a bored drawl.

“Well, don’t do anything to Potter!” Pettigrew said. “The Dark Lord said not to…”

“I didn’t touch Potter…” Malfoy said.

“Well keep it that way!” Pettigrew said.

“So, you’re in league with your father, now?” Harry asked, desperate to prevent any further pain for Ron.

“Not yet…” Draco spat bitterly. “I have to prove myself first… that’s why I’ve taken on this little mission. Once I’ve helped bring you to the Dark Lord, I’ll be given the mark…”

“So you haven’t taken the mark yet, then…” Harry said.

“No, I haven’t “ that’s what I just said,” Malfoy said impatiently.

Harry opened his mouth to make a scathing remark, but then he heard Ophelia Cunningham’s plea to Tom Riddle in his head.

If you do this now, you may never turn back. Now might be your last chance…

“Don’t do it…” Harry said.

“What?” Malfoy asked.

“Don’t do it “ don’t take the mark. You’ll just regret it…”

“My father never regretted it,” Malfoy growled, though he sounded unnerved. “Besides “ I don’t know why you’d care…”

Tom “ I understand why you feel the way you do…

“Is that why you’re taking the mark “ because of your father?” Harry asked.

“Why do you care?” Malfoy asked, avoiding Harry’s eyes.

Harry wasn’t sure why he cared, but the memory of Ophelia’s plea had filled him with some kind of compassion; he felt he had to instill some kind of choice in Draco’s mind.

“The world doesn’t need another Death Eater, Malfoy. You don’t have to do it…”

Malfoy was quiet for a moment, and Harry thought that he may have actually gotten through to him. He seemed to show that same frightened indecision that Harry had felt as Tom Riddle.

“The Dark Lord kill me if I change my mind now.” Draco responded coldly. It’s too late…I’ve chosen my path.”

“There are some things worse than death, Malfoy…” Harry told him.

‘That’s probably true…” Malfoy said, angry now. He pointed his wand at Ron again.

“No…” pleaded Harry.

“Crucio!” Malfoy said.

Ron screamed again, his body convulsed; the spell relented quickly, again. It seemed Malfoy’s spell wasn’t very powerful, but dangerous nonetheless.

“So, Weasley “ is it worse than death?” Malfoy asked. “Was Potter right…?”

“Hermione…” Ron breathed.

Malfoy laughed.

“Calling for your Mudblood girlfriend?” he asked. “She can’t help you now…”

Malfoy walked away from Ron, still laughing a soft, mirthless laugh. He then snapped his gaze to Pettigrew.

“Have you figured out what we’re going to do, yet?” he asked.

“A Portkey… we need a Portkey…” Pettigrew muttered.

An old banana peel appeared on the shelf next to him. Pettigrew looked at it excitedly.

“That’s it, that’s our key…we can escape from the castle with Potter…”

“Are you mad?” Malfoy said. “We don’t even know where that thing’s going to take us. It might very well be a Portkey to the Ministry of Magic for all we know…”

“You’re right, you’re right,” Pettigrew said. “Okay, then… we need a Portkey to the Dark Lord’s Headquarters…”

Another banana peel appeared on the shelf, right next to the previous one. Harry suddenly felt terrified. They had a way out now; he would be delivered right into Voldemort’s hands. They’d take Ron, as well. He felt sick, remembering Cedric. He didn’t want Ron to meet the same fate.

It seemed, however, that there was no choice in the matter.