Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 67: Imminent Danger

Harry looked at Ginny, terrified; he felt a huge lump form in his throat.

…THE BOY-WHO-LIVED, AS WELL AS THOSE CLOSEST TO HIM…

Ginny refocused.

“Wow, that was strange. I just kind of zoned ou“ Harry, what’s wrong?”

“You “ you… I don’t know Ginny. I think you just “ made a prophecy…” Harry told her, swallowing hard.

“What?” Ginny asked, looking confused. “What are you talking about?”

“You,” Harry repeated. “You made a prophecy “ just now. You looked far away, and your voice changed…”

Harry wasn’t quite sure which was more shocking: the fact that Ginny had made a prophecy, or what the prophecy contained.

“But that’s impossible, Harry - only Seers can prophesize…”

“Well, I’m sure Hermione will research for us later “ but now we have to go to Dumbledore…”

Ginny just stayed rooted to the spot, looking more confused than ever.

“Actually, no “” Harry said breathlessly. “I’ll go to Dumbledore, you to lunch and get ready for your O.W.L.’s…”

Harry took off down the corridor.

“Harry!” Ginny called after him, now looking frightened. “What …what did I say?”

Harry stopped, and took a nervous gulp.

“That I’m going to be taken to Voldemort…” he said tremulously. “…as well as those closest to me…”

He then turned without another word and left for Dumbledore’s office. The further he went, the faster his feet carried him, until he reached Dumbledore’s corridor, taking off towards his office at near breakneck speed.

“Ice…Mice…” he panted heavily.

The statues, as though sensing the urgency of the matter, leapt aside for him to enter. Harry didn’t even bother to knock on the door, he just opened it and ran into the office, where a stunned Dumbledore and Amelia Bones turned to him in surprise.

“Sorry, Professor “ I didn’t mean to interrupt…” Harry said. “It’s important…”

Harry saw Madam Bones raise her eyebrow at him.

“Very important…” Harry said.

“I’ll just excuse myself for a few minutes,” she said. Dumbledore nodded politely to her as she left, and looking very alert, stood up and turned his attention back to Harry.

“What’s wrong, Harry?” he asked.

“Ginny. Prophecy “ Ginny. Death Eaters… Me, taken “ my friends…” Harry said.

“Harry, calm down “ tell me again, what’s wrong?”

“Ginnymadeaprophecythatthedeatheaterswilltakemeandthoseclosesttometovoldemort…”

“Maybe you should sit…” Dumbledore suggested.

Harry took a seat in front of the desk, and tried to breathe. He then tried, again, to explain to Dumbledore what had happened, which he found extremely difficult considering he wasn’t quite sure himself.

“Ginny made a prophecy, just now. It was real “ well, it seemed real…” Harry said, much more slowly this time.

“That’s better “ now, Harry… tell me, what did this prophecy state?” Dumbledore said gravely, though still calm.

“It said that the Death Eaters will not fail again. That next time, they’ll succeed in bringing me to Voldemort…” Harry told him slowly. “As well as those close to me…” he added, a lump forming, again, in his throat.

Dumbledore sighed deeply and sat back behind his desk. His brows were furrowed thoughtfully.

“You are sure, Harry, that this was a true prophecy?” he asked.

“Yes, I’m sure. It was exactly the same as Trelawney…” Harry said.

“I was not aware that young Ms. Weasley was a Seer…” Dumbledore said.

“Well, she must be!” Harry replied, growing impatient.

“Where is she now?”

“I told her to go to lunch “ she has her O.W.L.’s in about an hour and a half…”

“That was a good decision on your part, Harry…” Dumbledore told him.

“Thanks…” Harry said, more impatient with him now.

“Well, if this is a true prophecy, there is not much we can do, of course…” Dumbledore said wearily. “Except prevent it as long as possible… I will, of course, increase security on the grounds. I’ll request the presence of Aurors and Ministry officials in Hogsmeade, as well. There was supposed to be one last trip to the village after exams, which if I do allow - I’m going to ask that you and your friends do not go…”

Harry nodded quickly; he certainly was not going to protest too much at this point.

“And, I’ll be keeping a closer eye on that map of yours…”

Harry nodded again.

“Up until now, other than your Occlumency, I haven’t prepared you much to protect yourself…” Dumbledore continued. “You’ve had so much to worry about, emotionally, I didn’t want to rush it - but I doubt we can delay this anymore… so I’ll see to it that you have private lessons in advanced defense, starting as soon as possible, and during the summer of course…”

Harry felt the burden of the prophecy weighing heavier on him by the moment.

“I have to ask you to do something else, Harry. You won’t like it…” Dumbledore said wearily.

“Anything,” Harry said anxiously.

“I want you to stay at Grimmauld Place this summer, after you leave the Dursley’s of course…” Dumbledore told him. “The Burrow is much too dangerous “ the Death Eaters know where it is, and it’s surrounded by forest, making it vulnerable. The Headquarters, on the other hand,will be constantly guarded by members of the Order, and is already protected by the Fidelius Charm…”

Harry hesitated; he certainly did not want to go to Grimmauld Place, did not want to be in the same house as the portrait everyday “ but he knew Dumbledore was right, it was the safest place.

“Okay…” he said after a few moments’ trepidation. “I’ll go “ can I invite the Weasleys, and Hermione and Katie…”

“It is legally your house, Harry,” Dumbledore reminded him. “You may invite whomever you wish; I do, of course, request that you notify members of the order before inviting anyone, but since the older members of the Weasleys are members of the Order, asare Christopher and Libby Bell, there should be no problem in inviting Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Katie… as long as you don’t decide to throw a house party…” Dumbledore added, the corner of his mouth twitching.

“Professor “ about the private lessons in defense…” Harry said. “Is it possible that my friends could join me? I mean, the prophecy says that those closest to me will be taken with me…and of course, I’m not sure who that applies to specifically…”

Harry stopped for a moment; he felt as though everything he had been expecting was suddenly closing in around him; fate had announced its attack, and now all he had to do was wait.

“Well “ it’s just… they’ve been in danger alongside me so many times “ I wouldn’t feel right if they weren’t prepared, too.”

“Certainly, Harry.” Dumbledore said, watching him now with great concern. “Now, I have a meeting with the Minister I have to finish, and I’ll ask that you go eat lunch, as I’m sure you were planning on doing. Please ask Ms. Weasley to come see me after she has finished her examination this afternoon…”

“Yes, Professor,” Harry said, and left the office, nodding goodbye to Madam Bones.

His thoughts were a blur as he headed down towards the Great Hall.

“You alright, Harry?” he heard Lupin ask from behind him.

“Oh… yeah,” Harry said. “Well, no “ but… Thursday’s your last day, isn’t it?”

Lupin had told his classes he would be staying until after all his fifth and seventh years had sat the O.W.L. and N.E.W.T exams, meaning that he would only be at Hogwarts for two more days. The sixth years had planned a surprise party for him during class that Thursday before he left.

“Yes…” Lupin said somewhat sadly. “Just two more days…now, what’s happened to you?”

“Long story,” Harry told him.

“Maybe you can tell me later?” Lupin asked.

“Yeah… I’ll stop by your office this evening…” Harry said.

“See you then,” Lupin said, smiling consolingly and continuing on his way.

Harry kept walking, and descended the marble staircase to the Entrance Hall. He was about to go to lunch when he was stopped again, this time by Professor Snape.

“Potter,” he said. “Can I see you in my office?”

Harry was taken aback; not only had he been unaware that Snape had been released from the Hospital Wing, but he had never been asked to Snape’s office unless he had done something wrong. He searched Snape’s eyes wondering, paranoid, if this was, in fact, Snape… but he found nothing to contradict that he wasn’t.

“Yes, Professor…” Harry said.

Snape turned on his heel and descended into the dungeons, followed closely by Harry, who did not dare to ask any questions. They reached Snape’s office, and Snape opened the door, gesturing for Harry to enter. Harry eyed him questionably for a second before entering. Snape followed him in, snapping the door shut behind him and then taking a seat at his desk. He gestured for Harry to sit in the seat across from him.

“I’ve asked you here for a few reasons, Potter,” Snape told him, speaking quite coldly as he always had.

Harry nodded.

“First of all, technically I have you to thank for finally being freed from that imbecile’s hostage…”

“Actually, sir “ I think I have you to thank more…” Harry interrupted nervously.

Snape looked at him surprised, but did not respond.

“And, also, I thought it only fair to return this to you… I found it stashed away here in my office.”

He reached to the shelf behind his desk, taking down a broom; Harry’s broom. Harry looked at it in wide-eyed astonishment. He couldn’t form words, but reached his trembling hands to take it from Snape, who gave it to him rather unceremoniously.

“I do believe this belongs to you…” he said.

“Yes… I thought it was gone…” Harry stammered.

“Well, it’s not. It’s been right here “ you’ll excuse my delay in returning it, but I’ve only just recently been released from the infirmary…”

Harry didn’t care that it had taken two weeks… he had his Firebolt back. He almost felt the urge to hug Snape, but did not find it to difficult to restrain himself.

“Thank you, sir…” he said, ecstatically. He considered it momentarily, and then stuck out his hand to Snape. Snape took it, somewhat reluctantly, and the two, for the first time, shared a handshake. Harry turned to leave, but Snape stopped him again.

“One more thing, Potter…” Snape said. “I apologize for what happened to Black…”

He rushed each word. It wasn’t exactly what Harry would describe as a heartwarming apology, but he could tell that, somewhere inside him, Snape meant what he was saying.

“Perhaps I should have found someway to convey to you that I understood your ‘cryptic’ message in Umbridge’s office,” he said uncomfortably, with his familiar cold delicacy. “And perhaps it was unfair of me to goad him while he was staying at Headquarters…but I want to apologize to you for my part in the matter…”

He was standing very stiffly.

“Thank you…” Harry said. “Means a lot to me. Sir.”

Harry turned and left Snape’s office. He had a sneaking suspicion that Dumbledore had played a part in Snape’s apologizing to Harry, but he had not lied when he said it had meant a lot to him. It would help, at least, to not completely despise Snape during Potion’s the next year. And it would also help in mourning Sirius, to not harbor so much anger towards Snape for what happened.

Harry finally made his way into the Great Hall, and he could tell that most students had already eaten and left. He quickly spotted Ron, Hermione and Katie and moved over to their place at the table and sat with them.

“What do you have next?” Harry asked Katie, who was sitting reading an enormous textbook.

“Potion’s practical…” she said, sounding exhausted. “Actually, I was just waiting to see you “ I think I’ll move to the library now…it’ll be quieter.”

She made to stand up, but stopped when she saw the Firebolt in Harry’s hand.

“Is that your Firebolt?” she asked, dropping her book to the table with a thud. Ron and Hermione turned to the two of them, eyes widening in astonishment at the sight of Harry’s broom.

“Yeah “ Snape gave it back to me just now…”

“But you fortune said…” Ron started.

“Well, maybe those fortunes were rubbish after all…” Hermione said, smiling widely.

“Oh, this is fantastic, Harry,” Katie said. “But I do really need to leave…”

“It’s fine,” he said. “Good luck, though.”

They kissed goodbye, and Katie left quickly for the library with her book.

He turned to Ron and Hermione.

“Has Ginny been here?” he asked.

“Well, we only got here about a half-hour ago…” Hermione said.

“So she probably already left,” Ron finished.

“Why?” Hermione asked.

Harry launched into his entire story “ Ginny, the prophecy, everything Dumbledore had told him, and what had happened with Snape.

“Snape apologized and gave you your broom?” Ron asked, looking shocked.

“Ginny made a prophecy?” Hermione asked, astounded.

“Yeah… actually, she’s supposed to go to Dumbledore after her exam,” Harry said.

“So, do you think she’s a Seer?” Ron asked.

“Must be “ I mean, she did say that your ancestor Ginevra Clementine was a Seer, didn’t she?” Hermione said thoughtfully.

“Weren’t you a skeptic?” Ron asked.

“Well, that was before Ginny made a prophecy…”

“...telling that we’re all in imminent danger,” Harry added, feeling as though they were all missing the important point.

“Oh, well “ I don’t think we’re in any more danger than we were before,” Hermione said. “Now we’ve just been forewarned.”

“Hermione “ it said that the Death Eater’s next attempt will not fail… shouldn’t you be a bit more worried.”

“Yes, Harry “ of course I’m worried. But Dumbledore is taking steps to protect us, right?” she said. “Once the Death Eaters realize that, it could be quite a while before they attempt to abduct you again, especially with all the failure they’ve already had. I’m sure they’re not anxious to fail Voldemort again.”

“Except that school will be over in a month, and they’ll probably think it will be easier to get to Harry while he’s not at Hogwarts…” Ron said.

“You’re wonderfully supportive, Ronald,” Hermione said sardonically.

‘It’s the truth!” Ron protested. “What, do you want me to let you sit her and convince Harry that this prophecy isn’t at all important?”

“We don’t always need to think the worst!”

“But we should be prepared for the worst…” Ron replied impatiently. “I mean “ what about the Hogwarts Express… that seems pretty easy to attack, doesn’t it? And we’ll be on it in less than a month!”

“Except that the Hogwart’s Express is protected by many spells to make it inconspicuous…”

“To Muggles who aren’t looking for it, Hermione,” Ron charged. “Not Death Eaters who know very well it’s there, and can easily know when it’s leaving and where it’s going. Not to mention the fact they have powerful dark magic…”

Hermione bit her lip.

“Well, you might be right “ but I highly doubt Dumbledore won’t consider the vulnerability of the train. I’m sure he’ll make sure it’s well protected…”

“He’s one man, Hermione. If it’s not the train, it’ll be something else.”

Hermione didn’t say anything; she just turned to Harry and looked at him worriedly.

“So that’s it, I suppose,” she sighed. “We’re all in danger, and there’s nothing we can do about it…”

“Not nothing, Hermione,” Harry said. “We can prepare ourselves…and that is exactly what we’re going to do.”

---

The next day, Harry made arrangements with Professor Alchemina to start on some defense lessons during the remainder of the year for himself and his friends. He also asked if she could make time during the summer to help them, also. He’d decided that having Dumbledore would be ideal, but that he would probably be quite busy, and that Alchemina, as the new Defense Against the Dark Art’s teacher, would be the next best choice. And since she was a new member of the Order, she’d probably have ample opportunity to visit Headquarters.

He headed to the Great Hall to tell Ron, Hermione, Katie and Ginny the news, but couldn’t find any of them.

“Dean,” Harry asked, rather uncomfortably “ he hadn’t spoken to him since the incident with him and Ginny. “Have you…er… seen Ron, Hermione, Katie, or Ginny?”

“Yeah, actually…” Dean said somewhat stiffly. “I saw them all going out onto the grounds, a few minutes ago…”

“Oh, thanks…” Harry said, and left.

He left through the Entrance Hall and stood at the bottom of the steps, looked around trying to spot them. He saw them quite near, all seated on a large rock much like the ones Harry had taken to sitting on while sitting out in the grounds in between classes. Neville, Susan and Luna were there, also.

“What do you lot think you’re doing?” he called as he approached them “Out in the grounds in a time like this?”

“You’re just upset we didn’t invite you to come with us…” Ginny said, peering over the Transfiguration book that she and Luna were reading together.

“I know, mate,” Ron said. “We’re barely fifty feet from the castle and its broad daylight. Relax a bit, why don’t you.”

“Besides, the sun is just lovely…” added Hermione, who was laying on her back, with her head rested on Ron’s lap, her eyes closed.

Harry, who had reached the group, just stood looking at all of them, deciding if he should be upset with them or just join them.

“You know, yesterday the two of you were doing nothing but worry, and know you’re lying carefree in the sun…”

“Might as well enjoy it while it lasts,” Ron shrugged.

“You know, you probably shouldn’t be so casual about the threat of imminent danger…” Katie said darkly.

“Imminent danger?” Neville asked. “What imminent danger?”

“Danger threatened by the current situation of death and war, Neville…” Luna said.

“Oh… yeah, that...”Neville replied, not looking any less frightened.

Harry just shook his head, and, deciding that it couldn’t hurt, sat down with them all.

He sat down, and a second later realized that he had made a huge mistake.