Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's Sixth Year by GringottsVault711

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter nine: Harry’s Burden

Eventually all the students made their way out of the Great Hall and back to their dormitories. In Gryffindor tower, some people were still talking about what had happened while others tried to distract themselves with homework or games of Exploding Snap and Gobstones. While Seamus, Neville. Katie, Ginny, and Dean took it upon themselves to preoccupy the younger students, Hermione, Ron, and Harry found a secluded corner to talk in.

“Are you worried, Harry?” Hermione asked with a look of concern.

“Any more than I was yesterday, or the day before? No,” He replied.

Ron and Hermione stared at him, incredulously.

“How can you say that, Harry? Voldemort has wanted you dead for fifteen years, and now it looks like he’s ready to take control. We’re on the brink of war, and you’re his main priority.”

“Yeah mate, I mean “ you know You-Know-Who wants to do you in. You’d think the fact that he’s got more power and he’s starting to make his moves, well you’d think it would get you a bit more worried...”

Harry sighed.

“Look, it’s just that it doesn’t matter whether Voldemort has an army of Nifflers or an army of Giants. Like you said, he’s still after my blood.”

Hermione looked at him as though he had missed something.

“But it does matter. The less power he has the quicker we can get rid of him, you can be protected until that happens. But if he has all these Death Eaters and Dementors behind him, I hate to say it, but he’s going to get his hands on you eventually.”

Harry paused for a moment. He thought about whether he was ready to tell them... Ron and Hermione always worried about Harry more than he worried about himself. What would happen if he told him about the prophecy? He took a deep breath.

“Look. I can’t hide from Voldemort. I have to face him eventually...”

“Harry, maybe you want to avenge your parents, but I don’t think “ ”

“Hermione, you don’t understand. I have to face him. Voldemort won’t go away unless I get rid of him myself.”

Ron looked at Harry like he’d gone mad.

“Mate, you don’t have to get rid of “ ”

“I do. Look, remember the prophecy that the Death Eaters wanted so badly, last year in the Department of Mysteries? It was a real prophecy, it was about me and Voldemort. That prophecy was the reason Voldemort when after me in the first place. It said that I was the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord. It said that either he has to kill me or I have to kill him. There’s no other way...Dumbledore has known about it since before I was born “ he was the one that witnessed the prophecy, and he told me last year, after everything that happened.”

Ron and Hermione were quiet. He had finally gotten through to them. After a minute or two, Ron finally spoke.

“So “ you’re the one who has to finish him?”

“Yes.”

Hermione looked up, her lip was trembling.

“Harry? What “ what happens...if...if he kills you instead?”

Harry looked back at her, he saw the fear in her eyes. Ron watched Hermione for a moment, then turned to Harry “ waiting for his answer.

“I don’t know, Hermione,” Harry said. “I really don’t know.”

It seemed nobody knew what to say after that...so Harry told them everything. Everything that happened that night that they didn’t witness, everything Dumbledore told him “ about the locked door, what was inside “ how Voldemort had taken over Harry’s body and how it was his desire to die and see Sirius again that pushed Voldemort away. Harry talked until the early hours of the morning. It felt so good to get everything off his chest. When he finally finished, Ron and Hermione still remained quiet. Harry looked from one to the other.

“Look, I know this is a lot to deal with... but remember what Dumbledore said: We can’t live in fear of the enemy. Please, just let’s enjoy ourselves as much as possible. Worrying about this isn’t going to get rid of Voldemort. Just...just act normal, okay? Make jokes, do homework “ lets just be sixteen year olds, and face the big stuff when it comes up.”

Ron looked up at Harry.

“Blimey, mate...And to think I thought you were doing me a favor by handing over the Captain Badge.”

Hermione smiled, Harry laughed.

“That’s more like it.”

Hermione yawned.

“We should probably try and get a few hours sleep before the sun rises...Harry we have Snape’s class tomorrow.”

“I’m glad I’m not either of you,” Ron laughed as the three of them stood up to go upstairs.

“Well good night,” Hermione said as she was turning to go up her stairway.

“Good night,” said Ron as he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.

He turned and went up the boys staircase. Hermione turned to Harry; her cheeks turned pink as she smiled, before she ran up to her room. Harry followed Ron up to his room. When he went in the door, Ron was standing there waiting.

“Well.. what did you think of that...?”

“Nice one,” said Harry grinning.