Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

In Silent Love by Tia Blu

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"Well, here we are," I said in a falsely cheerful voice, hoping my friend, Harry Potter, will be a bit happier now that we're on our way to Hogwarts. But he was obviously still just as sullen and distant as he's been all summer, his green eyes still on the floor.

Ginny Weasley smiled, though. "Took you two long enough," she said as Ron, her older brother, and I sat down.

"Yeah, well, the new Headboy wanted to make sure we understood who was the boss," said Ron bitterly, helping himself to a few of Harry's Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.

"I don't think he was that bad," I said. "He just wanted to make sure his authority was clear to the Prefects. I don't blame him, with Malfoy and Pansy there," I added darkly.

I was uncomfortably aware that Harry was yet to say anything. He was now gazing out the window, but his eyes weren't watching the scenery. He was obviously deep in thought, and his eyes showed how much pain he was feeling. I wanted so badly to reach out to him, to make him tell me what was wrong.

After a while, Dean Thomas came and collected Ginny, and Ron, being the over-protective brother, muttered something about "patrolling the halls" and followed them. Harry and I were left alone at last.

"So," I said softly, sliding closer to him. "How are you doing?"

"Fine," said Harry roughly, still not looking at me.

I sighed. "Harry, you been completely absorbed in your own little world ever since I got here," I said. "You're not fine. It's Sirius, isn't it?"

"No, it's not," said Harry hotly. "Look, I don't want to talk, okay?"

"Harry, you never want to talk anymore!" I said, feeling a wave of frustration hit me. "I've been there all summer, and you never wanted to tell me anything! If it's not Sirius, then what is it?"

Harry turned and faced me. I saw his green eyes watching me keenly, pure indignation in his look. "Hermione-"

"Harry, don't get mad at me," I said briskly. "There's no need, as you already are."

Harry looked taken aback. "What d'you mean I'm already mad at you?" he asked, softening slightly.

"You're mad at me because you're mad at the world."

Harry raised his eyebrows. "Am I now?"

I nodded. "Look, it's about time I have my say, isn't it? Well, I think you are being a huge git. I can't say anything to help you if I don't know what's wrong, as you claim it's not Sirius. I've always been your friend, Harry. I think it's about time that you were completely honest with me."

Harry looked down. "Hermione, I don't-I mean, you'd hate me if you found out about this," he said quietly.

I really would have loved to roll my eyes. "You're being thick," I said exasperatedly. "What part about 'I've always been your friend' don't you understand?"

Harry sighed. "D'you remember the prophecy that was at the Department of Mysteries?" he asked me. "The one the Death Eaters wanted?"

"Of course," I said, slightly suprised. "But what does that have to do with anything?"

"Well, I found out what it said. Dumbledore witnessed it, and he showed me what it said through his pensieve."

I felt my natural curiousity kick in about then. "Why did Voldemort want it? What'd it say?"

"Well, I don't remember it word for word, but it says that it was either going to be Neville or me. It also says that I'm the one with the power to 'vanquish the Dark Lord', and that 'neither can survive while the other lives'."

I felt my breath catch in my chest. "But-but what does that mean?"

"It means that I'm going to have to kill Voldemort, or be killed by him," said Harry heavily. "In other words, I have to be a murderer, just like him."

I couldn't say anything. My mind was blank. This just couldn't be right, Harry, my best friend that frequently had to be nagged to death to do his homework, had to kill Voldemort?

"Now you know," said Harry, interupting my thoughts.

"But-but Harry, that can't be right," I said, staring at him. "You-you're not even sixteen, and Dumbledore expects you to do that?"

Harry sighed. "Look, you wanted to know," he said. "I told you, and I understand if you don't want to be anywhere near me--"

"Are you kidding?" I said incredulously. "You must not know me that well if you think for one second that I would stop being your friend just because there's a prophecy saying that you're either going to be murderer or murdered!"

"Really?"

"Really. Honestly, Harry, I was there during your first year, when you first faced Voldemort. I was there during some of your second year, I was Petrified, but still, I would have been there. Third year, I helped you rescue Sirius, and fourth year, I helped you learn spell for the Tri-Wizard Cup. And last year-last year is when I wavered in my loyalty. I tried to stop you because I thought it could be a trick. I didn't trust you to know the difference between just a dream and a vision--"

Harry looked downwards again. "But, Hermione, you were right. If I had listened to you, no one would have died. And how can you say that you 'wavered'?" Maybe you don't recall nearly dying that night?"

I smiled. "Actually, I do recall that," I said calmly. "Harry, I didn't completely trust you. I went along because-"

I stopped, horrified at what I had nearly just said. I couldn't confess my feelings at such a moment, not when Harry had just told me something that dark.

"Because what?" asked Harry curiously.

I sighed. "Because I didn't want you to think I was a bad friend by not going," I said quickly.

"You're lying," said Harry immidietely. "C'mon, I told you about the prophecy. Why can't you tell me why you came that night?"

I took a deep breath. "You're going to hate me."

"You didn't hate me when I told you."

"Okay," I said slowly. "Harry, I've always been your friend, but in our fourth year, when I saw you melting every single time Cho Chang looked at you, I never felt so jelous. When you told Ron and I about kissing her, I felt even worse. I just realized that night that I really like you." Harry's look of shock made tears creep into my eyes. "I know it's thick, because we're just best friends, and that's why I didn't want to tell you--"

"Hermione," said Hary, looking nervous.

I felt my heart race. I knew he was going to tell me how foolish I was, falling for the "hero". I braced myself for the ultimate insult.

"I like you, too."

I felt the same shock that I had thrown at Harry come back and hit me. "You-you do?" I said, hoping I hadn't heard wrong.

"Yeah," said Harry, turning red and looking down. "I just always thought you liked Ron--"

"RON?" I said, more loudly than I meant to. "I never ever liked Ron. Ginny thought I did as well."

"Well, he did really like you," shrugged Harry. "I guess I always thought those feelings were returned."

"They weren't," I said firmly. "The day I like him is the day you and Malfoy become best friends."

Harry laughed softly. It felt good to see that I had put a smile on his face, the first one I had seen this summer. "Well, then, I suppose that we like each other?" he said.

"It appears so."

Harry took a deep breath. "Hermione, the next Hogsmeade visit, if you want, we could find a way to get rid of Ron and go together...alone."

I felt as if my heart would burst, but Ron entered at that moment. He saw the two of us deep in conversation.

"What's going on?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

Harry grinned. "Mate, I think it's called love," he said softly. I returned his smile, never feeling happier in my life. I turned to Ron.

"We're going to the first Hogsmeade visit together," I said with a smile. "If we can get rid of you."

Harry and I laughed as we watched Ron gaping at us.