Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Swapping with Snape by Loz

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
When he had first heard of Harry’s problem, Severus simply heard that Harry had spilt Potion on himself, so he felt no large amount of concern. Rather, when he saw him standing in front of the school, he was more worried about his reputation. The students snickered behind Harry’s back, and Severus felt angry that once more he had become a figure of mirth. He was not supposed to be a source of amusement, for Merlin’s Sake, he was supposed to be their worst nightmare, the thing that went “boo” in the night. Actually he had half considered sneaking around the school after the late evening stragglers and doing that very thing.

Harry had come up to him in the Great Hall, and Severus had listened to the message but decided that Dumbledore could wait until the next day. Despite feeling somewhat annoyed at being made to look quite foolish he enjoyed a surprisingly entertaining evening beating Weasley at Wizards Chess. He had had the foresight to bet chocolate and butterbeer for the game. Weasley had been a formidable challenger, but with years of experience, and a good knowledge of clever moves, Severus was pretty much a dead certainty to win. Naturally he played it cool the whole time, doing his best to act like he was just placing the pieces in any old whichway. Gathering his prizes, Severus went off to bed with a somewhat manic chuckle. The other Gryffindors quickly followed him. Lying in bed he couldn’t get to sleep straight away, and found himself talking with Weasley.

“You awake?”

“If I wasn’t before, I am now.”

“Good. I wanna know, how’d you do that Harry? That was your best win yet!”

“It was luck, I expect,” Severus replied with a supercilious smirk Weasley would be unable to see.

“Luck my ar…”

“Okay, I read a book about plays you can do,” Severus interrupted before Weasley could finish his sentence.

“Oh, is it in the Library?”

“Yeah, but I think it’s out.”

“Ahh, I might check it out anyway.”

“How can you check it out if it’s already out?”

“I meant I’ll go look at it.”

“Could you two just shut up?” Thomas called.

“Sod off Dean!”

In the morning, because the boys had actually gone to sleep on Thomas’s fifth insistence, Severus was surprised that he actually felt slightly cheerful as he awoke to a new day of potential torture. The sun was shining only dimly, the boys were snoring, and Severus got changed to go and practice more Quidditch.

He mounted the broom with as much confidence as he could muster, and continued to hover slowly around the pitch. He kept reminding himself that all it took was a little concentration.

“Hello Harry!”

Severus fell. Standing up he saw that Granger was standing a few feet away. He had made his peace with Hermione but he was still on edge around her, ever since he had orchestrated the fight. To be honest he was still annoyed with the way she had butted in on his carefully planned scheme to belittle Harry. He didn’t think about the hypocrisy involved.

“Uhh, hey Hermione… what are you doing here?”

“Oh I come here to relax sometimes. How about you? What you were doing looked really odd!”

“Interfering little know it all” Severus thought, but instead said “uhh, balance, co-ordination, helps me when playing properly.”

“Oh, I didn’t think you’d need that. I guess I never realised how much effort you put into it. You know, if you put half as much work into your Potions as you did Quidditch, you might get better marks!”

“No I wouldn’t, Snape hates me!” Severus said automatically. He was almost surprised at how naturally the words came.

“Oh come on Harry, he doesn’t really. He isn’t as bad as you think he is!”

“He gave you detention!” Severus said. He didn’t understand it. He’d been as nasty as possible to Granger, yet she still wouldn’t do as all the other students and just hate him unconditionally.

“Yes, but all I had to do was Tutor some younger students.”

“He is evil, mean and nasty. Stop trying to see his good side, there isn’t one!” Severus said, getting more angry.

“You think what you like Harry, but I maintain what I have always said. You’re wrong about Professor Snape!”

“Well why don’t you go marry him then?”

“Honestly Harry, sometimes you are such a child,” Granger said rolling her eyes and walking away.

“Yeah? Well… so are you!” Severus yelled at her back. Somehow he didn’t feel quite so cheerful now. He frowned darkly and put the broom away. The day had only just begun. At least, he mused, he had Defence Against the Dark Arts first.


******************

Frances Flitwick was looking very alluring in burgundy robes that even with her short stature she managed to look flowing and elegant. She had brought a snuzzlebleep in to demonstrate to the class. She expertly handled the dangerous creature as if it were simply a ball of fluff. The other students sighed, ooohed and ahhhed, and for the first time in his life Severus didn’t feel complete and unmitigated contempt. After the short demonstration the students were required to draw food-webs of what the snuzzlebleep ate. Already Severus had thirty seven different food sources. He looked up at the front of the class, as Professor Flitwick discussed something with Longbottom. Sitting beside him, Weasley was yawning profusely.

“Harry, you might want to close your mouth mate,” he said suddenly.

“Eh?” Severus grunted.

Weasley smirked, “err, never mind.” There was a pause before he looked from Granger back to Severus, “Have you and Hermione had another argument? You’re getting as bad as… well, us!”

Hermione was sitting at the front of the class, her quill busy at work. She had not spoken to either Harry nor Ron as she came into class.

“Yeah, for some reason she keeps bugging me.”

“I know what you mean. Hey, do you want to go play Quidditch tonight?”

“Uhmmm…” Severus was spared the trouble of having to answer as Professor Flitwick glided over. Severus looked up in a sort of wonderment. Ron coughed slightly and began to write more quickly.

“I thought I said this was an individual assignment, Harry, Ron?” she queried with an arched eyebrow. “You only have until tomorrow to complete this. You really ought to take more care.”

Severus looked at the board, “To be handed up Friday” was clearly written under the instructions. He put his head down towards the table and started to write furiously.

“That’s better,” she tapped his shoulder and Severus automatically squirmed in his chair, “your defence skills are exemplary you know Harry, if only I could say the same of your written assignments.”

After the lesson, "Harry" was dismayed by Weasley once more asking about Quidditch.

“Uhmm…”

“If you don’t want to, that’s fine. I just thought you’d want another go before the big game.”

“Err…”

“Okay, I get the point! You’ve been acting strangely all week, Harry.”

“Have… have I?” Severus asked, this time seriously disturbed.

“Well, no more strangely than usual, I suppose,” Weasley replied poking his tongue out.

The rest of the lessons went by in a monotonous blur. Severus had absolutely no idea how boring the other Professors could be. Even though he had the disadvantage of not being able to learn anything new, he still realised that most lessons would probably bore the socks off of just about anyone. That glazed look students adopted was starting to make much more sense.

Nothing interesting happened, he didn’t have too many conversations, and the tasks he was set were easy for one of his faculties. The trials and tribulations of being a teenager were beginning to take their toll, and it hadn’t even been a week.

Straight before dinner, Severus was climbing the stairs to Dumbledore’s office.

“Ahh, young man. Come in, come in,” Dumbledore said with a grin. It took all of Severus’s willpower not to scowl.